Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=43448
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 12:30am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Shootings in General
Posted By: Sono
Subject: Shootings in General
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 9:37pm
A man in his 20′s has been shot dead by two men in The Cabra House Pub, Cabra, Dublin this evening.

Two masked men entered the pub on Fassaugh Avenue, Cabra at approximately 7.10pm, fired some shots and then left the scene on a motorcycle toward the city centre.

The man who was shot dead had at least 12 previous criminal convictions and has been jailed for drug dealing and assault, including attacking gardai in Cabra a few years ago, reports RTE.

The body remains at the pub. The gardai and pathologists have been contacted.

Any person with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact Cabra Garda Station 0n 01-666 7400, the Garda Confidential Line 1-800-666-111 or any Garda Station.

Replies:
Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 9:40pm
The Oasis..certainly  not!

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 9:46pm
Thank fcuk no by stander got caught up in it.

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by HateHenry HateHenry wrote:

The Oasis..certainly  not!
You in there for a pint earlier ?Beer

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:19am

Used to go to the Oasis the odd time when I was younger. Hardcore to say the least LOL

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:38am
News reports this morning said he was just out of prison and well known to Garadi

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:08am
My sister lived in Cabra for years. I always found it very quiet, safe area (though her car was stolen outside her front door). Would there be a few rough parts in it?

Seen the pub on google street view. It looks like the black hole of calcutta from the outside. hardly any windows and a few salty looking dudes eyeing up the google car as it passes outside

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:23am
I think this was a RIRA hit.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:51am
Could ya imagine your reaction if someone got assasinated in front of ya in a pub. I'd just freeze and guard my bacon fries with dear life.

Anyone know anyone that seen anything like this before? Id it happens pretty quick and they're gone before ya know it

-------------

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:46am
Pint glasses and bottles were thrown by drinkers in the pub at the gun man, mad fookers, dunno why anyone would bother when someone has a gun FFS.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:53am
work in a bar myself. if I witnessed something like that myself think id be a nervous wreck dont even know if I could continue to work in the bar trade.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:59am
Was in a pub before and left and went to the next pub in the street. Just as while I left, some fella got shot by the Gardaí in there.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:02am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

My sister lived in Cabra for years. I always found it very quiet, safe area (though her car was stolen outside her front door). Would there be a few rough parts in it?

Seen the pub on google street view. It looks like the black hole of calcutta from the outside. hardly any windows and a few salty looking dudes eyeing up the google car as it passes outside

Looks like a fine establishment LOL
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fassaugh+Road,+Cabra,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.367263,-6.293964&spn=0.005518,0.013797&sll=37.492346,-4.770708&sspn=0.939232,1.766052&oq=Fassaugh+Avenue,+Cabra,+&t=h&hnear=Fassaugh+Rd,+Dublin+7,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.367283,-6.298399&panoid=D0IxjpG-DI5FWVT_8ProJw&cbp=12,325.52,,0,6.15" rel="nofollow - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fassaugh+Road,+Cabra,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.367263,-6.293964&spn=0.005518,0.013797&sll=37.492346,-4.770708&sspn=0.939232,1.766052&oq=Fassaugh+Avenue,+Cabra,+&t=h&hnear=Fassaugh+Rd,+Dublin+7,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.367283,-6.298399&panoid=D0IxjpG-DI5FWVT_8ProJw&cbp=12,325.52,,0,6.15

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:07am
Any word on who it was yet?

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:09am
No wonder the burds out there look so rough Big smile

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:10am
Never trust a pub with no windows.

Going down the years the Oasis would have had a reputation but back then you didn't have lads being gunned down sitting at the bar. Tended to be more of a hiding they'd get.

It's one of those joints that has the punters kids hanging around outside wondering what time they might get fed that evening or worse still getting a few bob for a bag of chips to get rid of them!

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fassaugh+Road,+Cabra,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.367263,-6.293964&spn=0.005518,0.013797&sll=37.492346,-4.770708&sspn=0.939232,1.766052&oq=Fassaugh+Avenue,+Cabra,+&t=h&hnear=Fassaugh+Rd,+Dublin+7,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.367283,-6.298399&panoid=D0IxjpG-DI5FWVT_8ProJw&cbp=12,325.52,,0,6.15" rel="nofollow - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fassaugh+Road,+Cabra,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.367263,-6.293964&spn=0.005518,0.013797&sll=37.492346,-4.770708&sspn=0.939232,1.766052&oq=Fassaugh+Avenue,+Cabra,+&t=h&hnear=Fassaugh+Rd,+Dublin+7,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.367283,-6.298399&panoid=D0IxjpG-DI5FWVT_8ProJw&cbp=12,325.52,,0,6.15

Would be like Dusk till Dawn inside.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:23am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

Would be like Dusk till Dawn inside.

without all the fit birds

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 12:17pm
Ma grew up around the corner from there.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 12:23pm
Had a few pints in there one Sunday .seemed an alright spot ,been in worse spots.

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 12:44pm

Could ya imagine your reaction if someone got assasinated in front of ya in a pub. I'd just freeze and guard my bacon fries with dear life.

Anyone know anyone that seen anything like this before? Id it happens pretty quick and they're gone before ya know it

Lad I work with was sitting about 10 yards from The Don in the Fassaugh House when he was whacked.  He dived for cover and took a couple of weeks off work after it dawned on him that he coulda got hit himself so it did affect him for a short time but he's grand now.  He wasn't at last night's hit anyhow.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Had a few pints in there one Sunday .seemed an alright spot ,been in worse spots.

I remember drinking in a rough spot in roscommon with two dodgy fcukers after the connaught final last year. Had to keep the three eyes on my wallet

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Lad I work with was sitting about 10 yards from The Don in the Fassaugh House when he was whacked.  He dived for cover and took a couple of weeks off work after it dawned on him that he coulda got hit himself so it did affect him for a short time but he's grand now.  He wasn't at last night's hit anyhow.

fcukin hell    . Jesus you'd never forget something like that. That place where the don was shot, was it a rough pub or respectable place?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Bump......anybody hear anything on the grapevine

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 1:39pm

The victim was out of jail not too long ago after serving only half of his 3 year sentence for battering a bean Garda. An attack that didnt stop until an armed officer showed up. How the fcuk is he allowed out early, dont mind the lean sentence seen hes been in jail more than not in the past 10 years. GBH on a serving officer should be minimum 6 years IMO. Viciousness of this attack should have meant double that.

on the bright side at least its one less **** that can milk the taxpayer of €70k a year behind bars

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 1:52pm
Passed there earlier on today and there's a lot of lads walking around looking lost as they are barred from every other pub in the area.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:04pm

fcukin hell    . Jesus you'd never forget something like that. That place where the don was shot, was it a rough pub or respectable place?

I'm not from around Cabra so I dunno if there are respectable places at all given it's Bohs territory.......Big smile

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:04pm

Fella named Paul Cullen lads, well known to the Gardai.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:12pm

Fella named Paul Cullen lads, well known to the Gardai.

Think Sham means who did the shooting!

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:15pm

I remember drinking in a rough spot in roscommon with two dodgy fcukers after the connaught final last year. Had to keep the three eyes on my wallet

your lucky justice had your back that day.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:49pm
Now been confirmed in the media...
Originally posted by The Star The Star wrote:

Drug dealer Paul Cullen shot dead in gang hit

Gardai were last night hunting two gunmen after a convicted criminal was blasted to death as he enjoyed a pint.

Paul Cullen (25) — who had only recently been released from jail after serving time for drugs offences and for brutally assaulting an unarmed garda — was gunned down as he drank in the Cabra House pub in north Dublin just after 7pm.

Detectives believe he was killed by former associates of slain crime boss Eamonn Dunne.

And an underworld source last night claimed that Cullen may have been killed “because he tried to muscle in on his old patch after his release before Christmas.”

It is known that he’d previously been warned by officers that his life was in grave danger.

“He was a dangerous criminal and would have had a lot of enemies,” one source revealed.

Dad-of-one Cullen was shot several times when he was attacked by two masked gunmen at 7.10pm at the pub on Fassaugh Avenue in Cabra — close to his own home.

Punters dived for cover as the two gunmen carried out the assassination before escaping on a motorbike.

Sources say that Cullen had entered the pub just minutes before he was shot in a hail of bullets — at least six times.

Cullen is believed to have been released from prison last November after serving a six year term for drugs offences and an extra 18 months for assaulting a garda.

Cullen, then 21, and his cousin Carl Cullen, then 20, of Dingle Rd, Cabra, pleaded guilty to assaulting Garda Amanda Lynch on November 30, 2007.

Paul Cullen also pleaded guilty to taking possession of an official Garda weapon, and Carl also pleaded guilty to assaulting student Garda Zhihao Weng on the same date.

The Central Criminal Court heard that the gardai were attempting to arrest a youth on Fassaugh Avenue when the Cullens approached.

Paul took Gda Lynch’s official weapon, an extendable baton, hitting her until she fell down, and kicked her in the stomach.

His cousin Carl then assaulted student Garda Weng.

Paul Cullen was then jailed in February 2008 for six years after he admitted possessing €56,000 worth of cannabis resin.

He said he agreed to mind the drugs after he received a bullet in the post — and said the attack on the gardai happened when he was under stress from the drugs charge.

His original sentence....
Originally posted by Herald.ie Herald.ie wrote:

TWO Dublin cousins, whose attack on gardai arresting another youth left a female garda suffering chronic back pain, have been given consecutive custodial sentences.

Carl Cullen (20), of Dingle Road, Cabra, was also sentenced for assaulting another garda who was trying to arrest him, for assaulting a man after a party, and for a number of road traffic offences three years ago.

Paul Cullen (21), of Fassaugh Avenue, also Cabra, is serving a six-year sentence imposed in February for storing almost €56,000 of cannabis resin to clear drug debts as he was in fear of his life after receiving a bullet in the post.

Carl and Paul Cullen pleaded guilty to assaulting Garda Amanda Lynch on November 30, 2007. Paul also pleaded guilty to taking possession of an official garda weapon, and Carl also pleaded guilty to assaulting student Garda Zhihao Weng and to possession of a knuckle duster on the same date.

Carl further pleaded guilty to assaulting Garda Eamon Ryan on April 10, 2008, and assaulting Joseph Kavanagh on August 26, 2007. He also pleaded guilty to unauthorised taking of a motor vehicle, dangerous driving and driving without insurance or a licence.

Sentence

Judge Katherine Delahunt imposed a three-year sentence with the final 18 months suspended on Paul Cullen, consecutive to the six-year sentence he began earlier this year for the drugs offence.

Judge Delahunt imposed consecutive sentences totalling six years on Carl Cullen, with the final year suspended. Cullen was on bail for a previous assault at the time of the assault on Gda Lynch.

Detective Sergeant Fergal O'Flaherty told Pieter Le Viert, prosecuting, that Paul Cullen took Gda Lynch's weapon and kicked her in the stomach while Carl hit her on the head as she was attempting to arrest another youth. Student Gda Weng was kicked and punched by Carl until reinforcements arrived.

Det Gda O'Flaherty said when he arrived he drew his firearm and told Paul to drop the weapon. He lowered the baton and a struggle ensued. Carl ran over to help his cousin and tried to grab a baton but was restrained. Both Cullens were arrested and expressed remorse for the incident when interviewed.

Posted By: keitho5
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 3:04pm
Well nobody is gonna Live Forever, hes resting Up in The Sky now. I hope his fellow gang members Don't Look Back in Anger and just let this hit Slide Away. I'd say your man who shot him is Half the Word Away. I dunno ya can't even go down the pub for some Cigarettes and Alcohol these days without being shot, Where Did it All Go Wrong? I suppose at the end of the day ya just gotta Roll With it and remember that we're all part of The Masterplan.

sorry for turning this into an awful pun thread

-------------
Oooooooooohhhhhh yes sir......

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:16pm
What a scumbag. No sympathy for him whatsoever. 

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:46pm
Rough spot that Oasis..have heard many a story over the past 10 years

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Black Knee Stevie
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:34pm

Is this where the term black hole came from then?

-------------
It is not just a simple game, it is a weapon of the revolution

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:59pm
Never nice hearing about these kind of attacks/murders but the lad sounded like an absolute scumbag, beating the sh*te out of a bean Garda or any woman for that matter is a dirty act so IMO it's one less scumbag off the streets.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

The victim was out of jail not too long ago after serving only half of his 3 year sentence for battering a bean Garda. An attack that didnt stop until an armed officer showed up. How the fcuk is he allowed out early, dont mind the lean sentence seen hes been in jail more than not in the past 10 years. GBH on a serving officer should be minimum 6 years IMO. Viciousness of this attack should have meant double that.

on the bright side at least its one less **** that can milk the taxpayer of €70k a year behind bars

and presumably whatever he was claiming off the dole

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:17pm
that pub looks the grimmest place on earth

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:19pm
Used to pass that pub every day on the way to FAS. An absolute madshop. 

As for your man gunned down? f**k him, he was a scumbag and heaped misery on people. One less dirt bird on the streets

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:20pm

your lucky justice had your back that day.

We' have to organize part 2 rossie me auld dear. Once Mayo put Galway back in their box, hopefully we'll meet ye shams after it. We're due a session again

-------------

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

and presumably whatever he was claiming off the dole

Feel sorry for his immediate family but thats about it.
Sounds like a complete scumbag.World is a better place without him in it.Don't think anyone could argue with that.

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:11pm
Rte Twitter saying there has been a shooting incident in blanchardstown. Wonder if its linked.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 3:59am
What goes around comes around eventually.

Only in The Oasis would the locals throw chairs at a man with a gun FFS LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 4:41pm
Dissident plugged in carpark of the Huntsman Inn, Gormanstown, the war is on!

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Dissident plugged in carpark of the Huntsman Inn, Gormanstown, the war is on!

With a bit of luck they wipe each other out. Scum 

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:45pm
It's all kicking off.

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:09pm
leave them keep shooting each other,
no harm in it

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:20pm
Real life Love/Hate. Who is the gangsters version of Nidge and who's the RA's Dano?

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:44am
Internal feud in the IRA apparently. 5 lads were arrested near the scene. Armed officers were keeping the victim under surveillance at the time. He was due in court on Wednesday.

Its alright saying let them kill each other until some innocent bystander gets in the way of a bullet

Posted By: The Big Club
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:55am

Internal feud in the IRA apparently. 5 lads were arrested near the scene. Armed officers were keeping the victim under surveillance at the time. He was due in court on Wednesday.

Its alright saying let them kill each other until some innocent bystander gets in the way of a bullet

Couldn't agree more too many innocent killed already in gun crime

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:25am

I wonder did they let him get popped before moving

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:50pm
Teenager shot and seriously injured in the 'dalkin

jesus

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:11pm
Mother a Jesus this is becoming far too regular

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:18pm
3 unrelated shootings in 5 days. Looks like this fella will survive though.

Youd have thought the Garda shooting would see a real clampdown on everything gun crime. Maybe too early to expect that, or maybe its the lack of resources.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:22pm
I hear there are some bodies in the vacant lots

Posted By: JSO
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

What goes around comes around eventually.

Only in The Oasis would the locals throw chairs at a man with a gun FFS LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
 LOL We must pay a visit to this establishment next time your home HM. 

A mate of ours lives and drinks in a pub down the road  from there which i can honestly say is even a bit too much for meLOL although i did find the experience most profitable( sold two jumpers and 3 tshirts) and socially beneficial in a weird positive wayTongue

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:34pm
The guards really have no control of the gun crime situation.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:46pm

Did you see these two hanging around dude??

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:50pm
Apparently was a case of mistaken identity and this fella is innocent according to front pages of tomorrows papers.

Only said it this morning. Hope he lives.

We should bring in a mandatory life sentence for discharge of a gun for the purpose of serious harm or murder. And life being life

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:05am
Kerrzy, study after study has shown that mandatory sentencing has little or no effect on crime. All that really effects it is increased resources in detection rather than punishment. Criminals think they won't get caught so deterrent sentencing is expensive and somewhat futile. Deterrence policing works much better. I'd rather increase spending on the Gardai by €100m than on the prisons by €100m. You'd see much better results. If the likelihood of getting caught increases, it causes would be criminals to act more rationally and consider the potential consequences of their crimes. And while it might result in increased overcrowding and some people serving shorter sentences, serious criminals (gun criminals, murderers, etc) do get serious sentences and do serve them.

Of course, it could just be that you have a different view of what the criminal justice system should represent and are interested only in making sure those that are caught are locked up for some time and well punished in which case I suppose what I just said doesn't really apply, but each to their own. I prefer to look at it from an economic point of view, albeit that might seem a bit callous.

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:15am
Workcamps would put people off crime. Like for example, possession of a gun could get ya five years breaking rocks on Tory Island or something. 

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 4:06am

LOL What a show.

Gunman on the main street in Brisbane today. City was on lock down. Police shot him twice. No sh*t taken over here. Get the cops guns Clap

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:10am

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Kerrzy, study after study has shown that mandatory sentencing has little or no effect on crime. All that really effects it is increased resources in detection rather than punishment. Criminals think they won't get caught so deterrent sentencing is expensive and somewhat futile. Deterrence policing works much better. I'd rather increase spending on the Gardai by €100m than on the prisons by €100m. You'd see much better results. If the likelihood of getting caught increases, it causes would be criminals to act more rationally and consider the potential consequences of their crimes. And while it might result in increased overcrowding and some people serving shorter sentences, serious criminals (gun criminals, murderers, etc) do get serious sentences and do serve them.

Of course, it could just be that you have a different view of what the criminal justice system should represent and are interested only in making sure those that are caught are locked up for some time and well punished in which case I suppose what I just said doesn't really apply, but each to their own. I prefer to look at it from an economic point of view, albeit that might seem a bit callous.

Kerzy would lynch any man woman or child who was guilty (or even not guilty) of J walking LOL

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Regardless of effect on crime, I think its better for society that these be sentenced to life. If they killed once in this manner, they wont have any hesitation doing so again. 

Secondly, I do think it would have some effect in a country like Ireland where life means about 15 years max at the moment. That is certainly no deterrent. The prospects of never seeing the outside world would have to have an impact.

Unrelated; heard from a fella today that would be in the know in GAA circles that 1 of the Crossmaglen players that played in the AI semi a couple of weeks ago is a prime suspect for the death of the DetectiveShocked

EDIT: Not a hope HB. J walking is a must for those that dont driveThumbs Up

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:35pm
I agree that a 15 year sentence for life is no deterrent. However, ANY sentencing policy has pretty much no deterrent effect: how could it if the perpetrators of crime think they are going to get away with it?

And sentencing people simply so they cannot commit crimes is a very slippery road to be going down.... soon you'll end up imprisoning people who have done nothing simply because they might commit crimes. Also, the rate of imprisonment has very little effect on the rate of violent crime.

Like I said, most of my objections are economic. Imprisonment makes little or no financial sense and has little or no impact on crime rates; increasing detection rates and letting it be known that detection rates are increasing is the best thing that can be done. Otherwise, f**kers act with impunity, which is where we share common concern.

-------------

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 10:04pm

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 10:05pm
Nearly all crime statisitcs have reduced. Could also indicate that cutbacks mean less offeneces are listed.

Posted By: bis en die
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 10:18pm
Hey Seany Sherlock, those stats are a few years out of date

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 10:20pm
Most up to date I could find on cso website
Found more recent figures will edit table there.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:11pm
Is 'wapons' a word??  

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

Is 'wapons' a word??  
I left out the e when I was typing it.

Thanks for highlighting it though Embarrassed LOL

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

Is 'wapons' a word??  
I left out the e when I was typing it.

Thanks for highlighting it though Embarrassed LOL
Sorry dude. I assumed you had copied the graph so I was going to rip the p*ss out of our great Government's intelligence!  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net