Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=43314
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 35 Years Of Computer Football Games 1978-2013
Posted By: irishmufc
Subject: 35 Years Of Computer Football Games 1978-2013
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 3:38pm
Amazing video of just how far football games have evolved over 35 years. Even people not into computer games would see the huge difference nowadays to when they first started.

http://theworldofsport.tumblr.com/post/42695990926/35-years-of-football-computer-games-from" rel="nofollow - http://theworldofsport.tumblr.com/post/42695990926/35-years-of-football-computer-games-from

Sensible soccer was the balls but the one that done it for me was this: 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Replies:
Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 3:50pm
Some great game alright. My first game was http://www.uvlist.net/game-152490-Manchester+United+Europe" rel="nofollow - Manchester United:Europe.

First manager game was Brian Clough's Football Fortunes.

What was the game that the fastest way to get from one end of the field to the other was to slide tackle all the way?

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 3:57pm
I used to love Microprose Soccer on the C64

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Some great game alright. My first game was http://www.uvlist.net/game-152490-Manchester+United+Europe" rel="nofollow - Manchester United:Europe.

First manager game was Brian Clough's Football Fortunes.

What was the game that the fastest way to get from one end of the field to the other was to slide tackle all the way?

LOL  Obviously realism took a back foot in those days. Slide tackling all the way?!

Would it have been Italia 90 for the sega mega drive? There's probably about 10 countries in that game that don't exist anymore 

-------------

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:14pm
FIFA98 Clap

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

FIFA98 Clap

The road to world cup game was fantastic Clap and you could slide tackle the goalie and get sent off LOL. I remember playing it christmas day in 98 

-------------

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

FIFA98 Clap

The road to world cup game was fantastic Clap and you could slide tackle the goalie and get sent off LOL. I remember playing it christmas day in 98 

Hate that. The rest of us got it for Christmas '97!
Indoor football with fouls turned off, hours of fun.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:27pm
Sensible Soccer is still kingClap

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

FIFA98 Clap

Hate that. The rest of us got it for Christmas '97!
Indoor football with fouls turned off, hours of fun.

Embarrassed sorry mean't christmas 97. the indoor football was good crack 

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:31pm
Hadn't the patience for sensible soccer, when you try to turn you end up leaving the ball after you.

Posted By: armahibee
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by fear-glas fear-glas wrote:

Hadn't the patience for sensible soccer, when you try to turn you end up leaving the ball after you.

that was on the Amiga, think it stuck to your feet on the mega Drive...all grt games!! Back in the day when Ireland where a better team to pick than England.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:41pm
Sensible soccer was the balls, spent a serious amount of time in my pre teen years playing that on the megadrive. Absolutely loved that game. Pro Evo series was the king on PS1 and PS2 but has been awful for the past 8 years. Fifa is top dog now. Another game I loved on the megadrive was a little known game called Ultimate Soccer..

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:55pm

This is the finest footie game I ever played. Clap Shame about the cover

PES 6 and PES 2008 were respectable follow-ups but the series went 20 years backward with 09, slowly trying to make its way back. PES 3 was a great game too! Thumbs Up

FIFA 98 RTWC was a beautiful game that no FIFA after it matched for sheer arcade joy until 2009. 99 was a very good game also but the absence of an indoor mode was criminal! I have FIFA 96 lying around the house somewhere with Jason McAteer and an unidentified Dutch player from the euro play-off on the cover.

Other honourable mentions, This Is Football 2005. The series wasn't spectacular but the last entry was a good game in its own right.

This was the first game I ever owned for the PS1. I had asked Santy to get me Michael Owens World League Soccer 99 but I ended up with this instead. My initial reaction was Confused followed by Angry but once I got to grips with the game and got over the fact it was a management sim, it was a fantastic game Clap Lost it for a year to a friend of mine who borrowed it and never gave it back! Fired up the PS1 in easter 2 years ago just to play it again, signed Jari Litmanen for Hull City in Division 3 LOL

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:58pm
Sensible Soccer and then you could change the players name. McG up front for Milan Cool That was breakthrough stuff!

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:00pm

Amazing video of just how far football games have evolved over 35 years. Even people not into computer games would see the huge difference nowadays to when they first started.

http://theworldofsport.tumblr.com/post/42695990926/35-years-of-football-computer-games-from" rel="nofollow - http://theworldofsport.tumblr.com/post/42695990926/35-years-of-football-computer-games-from

Bombing down the flanks with no sign of fatigue Cool

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:08pm

What about that one for the segamega drive, think it was around 1990. For a throw in, they'd throw the ball backwerds.

The indoor soccer one was great too as it was handy not having the throw ins.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

Bombing down the flanks with no sign of fatigue Cool

ISS Pro 98 was gas for michael owen and the brazilian ronaldo who noone could catch up with LOL. I used to have roberto carlos up with ronaldo for his sheer pace and deadly shot. it was insane stuff 

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Sensible soccer was the balls, spent a serious amount of time in my pre teen years playing that on the megadrive. Absolutely loved that game. Pro Evo series was the king on PS1 and PS2 but has been awful for the past 8 years. Fifa is top dog now. Another game I loved on the megadrive was a little known game called Ultimate Soccer..
Brilliant game!!Wind up full blast on the blue pitch and the craic was on!!Have the music from it in my head now!!

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Brilliant game!!Wind up full blast on the blue pitch and the craic was on!!Have the music from it in my head now!!
It was class alright, do you remember the crazy player names??? Aldridge was Baldride.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:39pm
Championship Manager 2001/2002 season s**ts on any other football game ever Clap

Give me Football Manager over Pro-Evo or Fifa anyday Thumbs Up

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:49pm
ISS was quality when it came out . Gameplay was class. Soccer '97 anybody ?

Posted By: Johnner
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:03pm
Loved goal and hyper football for nes .

Posted By: keitho5
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Championship Manager 2001/2002 season s**ts on any other football game ever Clap

Your obviously just sh*te at football games so

No better feeling than banging in a last minute winner against one of your mates!

-------------
Oooooooooohhhhhh yes sir......

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:12pm
Pro Evo 5 was my last love in terms of football games. After that they started to get too intense and less enjoyable for me. I cant have fun playing them anymore, you need to be on your game for the whole duration or you will concede. Its very draining. I can only play 2-3 games in a row and i am shattered.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:16pm

Pro Evo 5 was my last love in terms of football games. After that they started to get too intense and less enjoyable for me. I cant have fun playing them anymore, you need to be on your game for the whole duration or you will concede. Its very draining. I can only play 2-3 games in a row and i am shattered.
You want to play Max Power in Fifa, that's draining. You need full concentration for the entire game.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by othiek othiek wrote:

Your obviously just sh*te at football games so

No better feeling than banging in a last minute winner against one of your mates!

They are football games Wink Or......Maybe i'd just rather be in total control of more or less every aspect of the team and using my brain to make new training programmes, sign/sell players etc etc which is far more challenging than pushing a few buttons Wink

I'm sure its a great feeling, still when you have a single file going for over 60 hours it more than takes over you're life at various times so that does it for me Thumbs Up

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:40pm
Anyone remember the This is Football games, they used be on Ps2. First game to have handballs, diving, and the goalie could get sent off. Brilliant is was think Rio Ferdinand on the front of one of them.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:43pm

Don't really mean to sound petty but those manager are considered strategy games. You cant really compare them. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:49pm

Don't really mean to sound petty but those manager are considered strategy games. You cant really compare them. 

Fack off you caaan't they are as football as they come LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:00pm

Fack off you caaan't they are as football as they come LOL

They're under a different gaming genre. Tbh GD FIFA and PES have career modes where you can buy players,recruit youth team and staff,get sponsorship,players stats decline and rise so they practically have all the features you'd have in a manager sim plus if you didnt want to play the games you can switch to coach mode. PES would be the easier gameplay to get into. Im sure you'd like PES if ya played it Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:07pm
LMA manager for the PS2 was the balls

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:12pm

Italia '90 on the Mega Drive Clap

We weren't on it for some bizzare reason Confused

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: BoboDub
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:32pm
international soccer on the c64 - only game i didn't have to wait half an hour to load as it was on a cartridge! despite the fact it was terrible, it was clearly a kind of football, and as it was equally bad for both players it was great craic.

moving on to microprose soccer - the introduction of replays (with flashing corner "R/r" and the ability to rewind) plus controlling the power of the shot/pass and headers was a big improvement, but still clunky. kick off and sensible soccer on The Amiga and the Atari st developed things further and were the first recognisable football games, really feeling like proper matches.

i play 3d soccer was a terrible game but still very innovative. the first proper 3d football game and allowed you to just play as one player through a whole game if you wanted.

moving into the 16 bit consoles iss and iss deluxe on The snes were balanced against the isometric fun of fifa. i still preferred sensible soccer to be honest.

the psx really brought things along - fifa 97 was a real victory of style over substance, and iss ps1 / 98 was substance over style. both games were great. those engines were then just continuously developed and, by and large, improved. the 2 best games were pro evolution soccer 2 on The ps2 and, if only for the introduction of proper online play, fifa 2009.

i guess the one constant was 2 player games always were the real test if the game was good or not.

honourable mentions:
everton fc intelligentsia - what a crazy game
virtua soccer - goooooooooaaaaaaallllll!!!!!! (after a 2 yard tap in own goal to pull one back to 1-5)
euro football champ (big fat ref falling over during which time you got away with kicking the bejaysus out of the opposition)
the krysalis games always(john Barnes, man united, euro 92 etc) - great graphics
buggy boy (points bonus for bashing the oversized football with the dune buggy)
soccer kid (the forerunner of freestyling)

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Your feckin right.

England as well constituted the entire united kingdom on the flashing map screen whrn you highlighted a team so even the pub team were represented in the game

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:08pm

and china were

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

and china were

Yere spot on lads LOL. Remember any time ya scored and the screen with the same generic player with the arm up in celebration 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:36pm
Fifa 96 - the last of the crazy 45 degree angle

Remember Fifa 97 then for some reason Del Piero was called "Del Piero Tonyon"

Posted By: Trap for Pope
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:45pm
World cup for the NES was my first ever football game. Unreal Craic, think it was 4 vs 4, or 2 vs 2. with each team having a special attacking move you could use 5 times per half! You controlled one player and then could instruct a team mate to pass/shoot!

West Germany had a zig zag shot if If I recall correctly, it was 50/50 as to whether it burst the keeper in to the net or rose over for a goal kick!

Honorable mentions to ISS on the snes and to FIFA road to the world cup 98 for the PS1.

-------------
Living for Away days

Posted By: Trap for Pope
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:47pm

Remember rushing to get home to play this, had mcateer on the cover for us against holland!!!

-------------
Living for Away days

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Anyone remember the This is Football games, they used be on Ps2. First game to have handballs, diving, and the goalie could get sent off. Brilliant is was think Rio Ferdinand on the front of one of them.

I mentioned the last one to be released, i thought that was a top notch game Thumbs Up Chris Kamara on co-commentary! John O'Shea was on the cover of the 04 version

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 10:06pm
f**k, completely forgot about del piero tognon! Big fan of fifa '97. Fifa '95 with the amazing Brian Plank for Germany, whatever Champ man it was had the super Tonton Zola Moukoko and the perfect trick of playing one-twos and being guaranteed a goal in PES 2 on the playstation one. Those were, indeed, the days.

-------------

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

f**k, completely forgot about del piero tognon! Big fan of fifa '97. Fifa '95 with the amazing Brian Plank for Germany, whatever Champ man it was had the super Tonton Zola Moukoko and the perfect trick of playing one-twos and being guaranteed a goal in PES 2 on the playstation one. Those were, indeed, the days.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Centre mid or right mid with a little attacking arrow!

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

the super Tonton Zola Moukoko
Now playing in the 3rd division of Finnish football - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonton_Zola_Moukoko

Cherno Samba - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherno_Samba

Posted By: BoboDub
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:13pm
remember the computer games that were just big advertisements to buy stuff, like pushover (quavers) and zool (chupa chupa)?

the football game version was Adidas Power Soccer on the psx....

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by BoboDub BoboDub wrote:

remember the computer games that were just big advertisements to buy stuff, like pushover (quavers) and zool (chupa chupa)?

the football game version was Adidas Power Soccer on the psx....

that adidas power soccer was as fcukin unplayable. That predator shot was a pain the arse to do as you had to press triangle and X at the same time Angry

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:28pm

the background music was superb, on an endless loop but wouldn't drive ya insane, gonna get it going for football manager and really turn back the years Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:48pm

I recall Victor Ipkeba Nosa as well!

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:12am
i remember premier manager 98 was £45 when it came out. It was the first accessible easy to get into manager sim compared to the unbelievably highly detailed championship manager games

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:17am
My mam paid for 50 pound for it Shocked can still remember seeing the price tag on it! I was fierce sickened though cause that was the only game I got with the PS1 along with the demo disc. I was only 7, I hadn't any patience or respect for all that management stuff yet! (little did I know nearly 15 years later I'd be be trying to be coaching for a living LOL)

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:39am

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:02am
Another honourable music mention goes to FIFA 98

best intro ever, FIFA 99 and PES 5 close 2nd's

-------------

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:23am

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

and china were

Yere spot on lads LOL. Remember any time ya scored and the screen with the same generic player with the arm up in celebration 

You could only manage to score bicycle kicks from about 25 yards too

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:38am

You want to play Max Power in Fifa, that's draining. You need full concentration for the entire game.

We had some serious games man haha, gotta get another one in soon! I've always loved my FIFA though, been playin sice around Fifa 97 so it's the practise that makes perfect

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:43am
Great shout DP i loved Fifa 98 and the soundtrack was unreal Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:02am
Blur song 2 was on that one

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Loved the way that you could be on the goalline and still blaze the ball over the bar if you pressed the wrong button in WC90!

Posted By: fochie
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:41pm
An old school pal of mine used to have a game on his watch in the eighties I remember,
The watch used to go round the class on a daily basis,
Good times.

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:47pm
brilliant thread great memories

Posted By: fochie
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:49pm

You could score from the kick off against sh*t teams on that one?Sega Yeah?

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 1:16pm
Note to the younger lads, You dont know what you missed if you havent loaded a game from a cassette onto your personal computer.

The following games were all massive on the Commodore 64. The 64 standing for the massive 64 KB of RAM, being a whole 4 times more powerful than its predessessor and in comparison laughable C16 (with 16 KB of RAM)

'Matchday 2' - absolutely classic. Breakthrough game IMHO. Legendary. A new level of realism.

'Brian Cloughs Football Fortunes' - the late 80's / early 90's football management game. Played half and half on the computer and a board game. Excellent game, multiplayer available and all matches played out on the videy-printer!! The tension waiting for your teams score... Unreal!

'Emlyn Hughes International Soccer' was a classic. Never liked it as much as Matchday 2 but was probably at least it's equal.

'Microprose Soccer' heralded the arrival of the modern football games.

Non-Football honourable mention: 'Elite' on the BBC computer - still absolutely without peer.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 1:17pm
You look at it now and wonder how they can possibly make it any more realistic, although we were probably thinking the same thing 10 years ago! The graphics really have hugely improved over the last 3 years or so though

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 1:24pm
Football Manager on The C64.I played this game for f**king hours at a time .You would be terrified of leaving it because there was a good chance it wouldn't load to the same spot as you left it.Those cassettes would break your heart.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

You look at it now and wonder how they can possibly make it any more realistic, although we were probably thinking the same thing 10 years ago! The graphics really have hugely improved over the last 3 years or so though

As good as they are and Ive just watched the new PS4 version of Killzone (looks good) the complete jump was from the megadrive to the PS1 Shocked. Basically from 2D to 3D. As good as PS2,xbox360 went onto having brilliant lighting effects and draw distances, It was never so much of a jump as it was when the PS1 came out.The xbox 360,PS3 doesn't have the scenery popping up in the distance that you seen on the PS2,XBOX but the PS1 for me when the first formula 1 came out for it and the wipeout demo Clap blew the mega drive out of the water for me

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:29pm
That jump is really the technology, from cartridge to cd (mega drive to ps1). Similar to cassette to cartridge (c64 to mega drive) and also cd to DVD (ps1 to ps2).

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:37pm
remember the peno kicks in italia 90? they were class

there was alos a gme on the amstrad, think it was fa cup, and you would pick 10 teams and try to win the cup, there was vitually no management input and the scores would just come up, i remember your star african player would be injured and you would have to decide whether to allow him to go home no his nigerian witch doctor or treat him at the club, meself and weelout played this for hours

there used to be some cracking arcade football games back in the day, cant remember the name of them though

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

That jump is really the technology, from cartridge to cd (mega drive to ps1). Similar to cassette to cartridge (c64 to mega drive) and also cd to DVD (ps1 to ps2).

Probably like yourself I've grown up in that time frame and i remember the c64 well but I do think the cartridge to the cd was the most striking imo out of the lot. It was unbelievable when the PS1 came out  

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

remember the peno kicks in italia 90? they were class

there was alos a gme on the amstrad, think it was fa cup, and you would pick 10 teams and try to win the cup, there was vitually no management input and the scores would just come up, i remember your star african player would be injured and you would have to decide whether to allow him to go home no his nigerian witch doctor or treat him at the club, meself and weelout played this for hours

there used to be some cracking arcade football games back in the day, cant remember the name of them though

ShockedLOL  you are fcukin joking me that was in it?! The fa cup game with a slight dash of stereotyping

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:41pm
think thats were nintendo f**ked up big time with the N64, they missed the boat by staying with cartridge

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:42pm
Just wondering lads have ye watched the video that i put up on the first page as it goes through all the games? Class video 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:43pm
Lads just found this site, must have all the footie games mentioned in this thread prior to the playstation era Clap
http://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/index.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/index.php

I've just also found Rugby World Cup 95 which I also had for the SEGA when I was younger. It was made in the same style as FIFA with the awkward angle

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:12pm

Lads just found this site, must have all the footie games mentioned in this thread prior to the playstation era Clap
http://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/index.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/index.php

I've just also found Rugby World Cup 95 which I also had for the SEGA when I was younger. It was made in the same style as FIFA with the awkward angle

Are the plugins that you have to download to play the games safe??? My anti-virus is expired.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:17pm

Are the plugins that you have to download to play the games safe??? My anti-virus is expired.

I downloaded it there and it is alright so far. None of those toolbar add ons included anyways. You also have to sign up for unlimited plays as it only allows guests 7 plays

-------------

Posted By: Dukla
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 4:03pm
First games I got for the old Playstation were Formula 1 ones, Didn't get my first FIFA until 2003 sadly.

There is a shop called Rage on Fade Street near George's Arcade that sells old football games & old games in general Thumbs Up

Best football related game I ever got my hands on was this

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

'Brian Cloughs Football Fortunes' - the late 80's / early 90's football management game. Played half and half on the computer and a board game. Excellent game, multiplayer available and all matches played out on the videy-printer!! The tension waiting for your teams score... Unreal!
I remember that videy-printer well - you'd swear we'd millions riding on the game

Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

You could score from the kick off against sh*t teams on that one?Sega Yeah?

YEah scoring direct from kickoff. Think the main way to score was to run down the wing and shoot from out there. Usually the keeper would just dive sideways.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:29pm
My First Football game....

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Johnner Johnner wrote:

Loved goal and hyper football for nes .

remember  a  nes  footy  game where  in each  game  you had  a  "power  up"  when  your  player  would  turn Orange and  do  a magic  overhead  kick  and  score  every  time LOL

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 9:56pm

My First Football game....

Yeah that was my one also. 

actually football manager for the Spectrum.  Graphics were unreal :)

any game with  great players such as Morley, Shaw and Withe  :) 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:05pm

YEah scoring direct from kickoff. Think the main way to score was to run down the wing and shoot from out there. Usually the keeper would just dive sideways.

Oh yeah. There was a sweet spot just before the corner of the 18 yard box. Kinda ruined the game a bitConfused

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Oh yeah. There was a sweet spot just before the corner of the 18 yard box. Kinda ruined the game a bitConfused

Any shot you took inside the box in FIFA 2000 automatically went in unless it was on World Class difficulty LOL

-------------

Posted By: footballfortunes
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 12:33pm
Hey there, we've made the official reboot of Brian Clough's Football Fortunes in case you're interested. Check it out at https://www.footballfortunes.co.uk - www.footballfortunes.co.uk

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 8:34pm
World Cup 98 was probably my favourite football game growing up

Fantastic fun.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 9:16pm
I prefer Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

https://aaron-demeter.itch.io/lee-carvallos-putting-challenge" rel="nofollow - https://aaron-demeter.itch.io/lee-carvallos-putting-challenge

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:40pm
Can't remember the name of it, but we had a football game on the Sega as kids and if you kept slide tackling, you actually moved faster than running. In a 2 player game, chasing the ball just had 2 lads repeatedly slide tackling until 1 got to it!

Anyone recall this one?

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Can't remember the name of it, but we had a football game on the Sega as kids and if you kept slide tackling, you actually moved faster than running. In a 2 player game, chasing the ball just had 2 lads repeatedly slide tackling until 1 got to it!

Anyone recall this one?

Was it the Italia 90 game? 

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Anyone recall this one?

I don't think so as you couldn't pick Ireland in it but it did only feature international teams. Maybe 86 World Cup?

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:51pm

Anyone recall this one?

I don't think so as you couldn't pick Ireland in it but it did only feature international teams. Maybe 86 World Cup?

If I remember correctly, the c*nts didn't have Ireland in the Italia 90 game. Great game for the bicycle kicks

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:52pm
It was Italia '90. 

Ireland were the only team excluded in the game, for reasons even today people wish to find out.

It was placed in the top 5 worst games of all time, I f**king loved that game as a kid LOL

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:53pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

https://aaron-demeter.itch.io/lee-carvallos-putting-challenge" rel="nofollow - https://aaron-demeter.itch.io/lee-carvallos-putting-challenge

Hours of entertainmentClap

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 11:03pm
Another favourite of mine was Sega Soccer Slam.

How they haven't remastered it for the Switch is absolutely criminal.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

It was Italia '90. 

Ireland were the only team excluded in the game, for reasons even today people wish to find out.

It was placed in the top 5 worst games of all time, I f**king loved that game as a kid LOL

Bastards leaving us out! A great game all the same!

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:28am
Dont think Fever Pitch Soccer for mega drive has been mentioned yet. As you won games against teams around the world you unlocked new players with better skills such as fire shots, ridiculous curlers, the "cheat" who's move was to dive. Simpler times

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:50am
Has This Is Football being mentioned yet? That was very good IIRC.

Viva Football was alright, more technical I think.

Libero Grande, from what little I remember of it, was a good idea executed poorly.

I think the modern FIFA and Pro Evo games are diminishing returns. Though both were very playable in the early 2000s. The 2004 Pro Evo game [I think] is probably the most addictive one I've ever played.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 12:22am
If I counted up the amount of hours I have spent playing a football game on the many different platforms over the years I would say it would be touching on a year of cumulative game play!

Kind of same as others, started on microprose on c64, then onto the FIFA’s on SNES and then PlayStation, with road to 98 really being The biggest revolution (I was not exposed to ISS until a couple years later). Remember staying in my friends house just after it came out and doing the full qualifying campaign for ireland and playing 2 player all the way until the final.
World Cup 98 then also had the anthems and stuff for first time and loved that too, plus it you could replay all the old World Cup finals, loved that feature. 
FIFA’s were then pretty standard after that but the Pro Evo 2 came along and that was the next revolution in football gaming. For the next 5 or so years it was all Pro Evo, that’s when it started getting competitive with friends. FIFA then came roaring back and it hasn’t really been a contest, even though Fifa still doesn’t give me the enjoyment that Pro Evo did for those few years. It’s so hard too these days online, everyone is sweaty.

I also loved to play in the arcades. Taito Cup finals I use to be so good at. Would love to play that again. Never forgot the day I took and scored my first hyper shot. 

Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:09am
Was only thinking, what happened to arcade games. You never see them anymore
The Bowling Alleys used to be full of them and there was an arcade in Dublin Airport
O Connell Street used to be full of them, havent Been in Quirkeys in years

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:39am
Yeah i was down in kilmuckridge last weekend and surprised to see arcade was closed down (looks like even pre-covid). Also nothing in rosslare. Countdown only has one left whereas there use to be 3. Shame, kids are missing out. 
Even Bray, the current indoor amusement place is nothing compared to the old one (where you also had bumper cars).

Most of the places like quirkeys or the place in the square they really focus on the gambling ones or ones where you win tokens towards shirty prizes. You don't see really games.

Super Sidekicks was the one in most of the places. Just googled and it seems they are all available on Playstation store. Think I might get myself super sidekicks 2 and go back in time.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:45am
What was the football game where the aim of was more to see who could be the dirtier player i.e. you gots more points for a red card then you got for a goal?

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:54am
Alfredo Morelos Striker? 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:00am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Alfredo Morelos Striker? 

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:05am

What was the football game where the aim of was more to see who could be the dirtier player i.e. you gots more points for a red card then you got for a goal?

Sounds like RedCard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RedCard_20-03

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net