URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=42832
Printed Date: 11 May 2024 at 4:37pm

Topic: Croatia for a holiday
Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Subject: Croatia for a holiday
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 1:11am
Anyone been? Group of us just doin a sun holiday this summer. Croatia has been thrown about as an idea. I remember hearing a few years back that it was becoming the new Ibiza. Just wonderin if people would recommend it?

Ahh heya!

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 1:40am
Know a few that have been over there before and have all been positive with their reports. They are going back this year to split and hvar in July for the ultra Europe festival

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 1:48am
Went there on my holidays last summer with the missus. Flew into Dubrovnik and island hopped from there to Korcula, Hvar and then over to Makarska via Split. Makarska was a kip and i'd avoid it at all costs. Korcula was really quiet and nice for just relaxing all day down by the sea, but Hvar was the party island. Only this is, its expensive to eat and drink there. Dubrovnik was also quality and had a few good spots for partying. All in all Croatia Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:50am
Spent a month travelling around Craotia about 4 years ago.  Nice country, some really beautiful areas.  Dubrovnik is very good although pretty expensive.  Split is probably the best city.  My advise would be to stay away from Zagreb, absolute dump was supposed to spend 4 nights in it ended up leaving after the 2nd night.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:59am
Great spot ... well recommended .

Posted By: Andkend
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:03am
I travelled all over Croatia, even went to Medjugorje (our lady appeared there) for a look - beautiful scenery - clear water - not as cheap as you would imagine - you can take a day trip from split to Venice which is well worth it.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:38am
For a lads holiday I would recommend split. I've also heard great things about hvar which is about 30 mins on a ferry from split. Partied like crazy in split a few years back. Nightclubs/bars on stilts overlooking the beaches were open to 6 in the morning. Had great time with friends from Bosnia and Croatia. The Croatian women are gorgeous. a local lass who was going out with one of the lads was telling us that if ya watch them they are constantly checking the lads out to see if they are marriage material. Honestly she said they were brought up thinking they had to find and marry a rich fella.

Highly recommend it...

And if ye go then I recommend he head to the flintstones restaurant...its way up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere but its some experience. Google it

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:41am
Croatian women are the greatest in the world

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 9:42am

Know a few that have been over there before and have all been positive with their reports. They are going back this year to split and hvar in July for the ultra Europe festival

We're doing a bit of inter-railing in July and going to Croatia for that, only €50 for 2 day tickets and a mate was in Hvar last year and said it was unreal!

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:06am
Loved Croatia, went with my brother a few years ago and would of the most chilled out relaxing holidays I have ever been on and loved every bit of it. 

Except for the poor Ozzie guy who was suffering with depression and was abused by his father in the bush in Oz and was travelling around Europe to escape from. Decided to follow me and hang around with me for an afternoon and the only thing that got rid of him was the Armagh V Tyrone all Ireland Final.   Pat Spillane was right after all. 

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:07am
Love this part of the world. Hvar is the party island if you're looking for boozing - Dubrovnik too but a lot more expensive.

Have a look at Budva, Montenegro too - bout 90mns in a shuttle from Dubrovnik airport, much cheaper, great beach, great nightlife, and full of Easter European holiday makers (lots of yummy Polish/Russian ladies)

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:37am
We stayed on an island called Mljet for a couple of weeks . Went there cos we seen it on one of these top 5 islands to see list jobbies . It's near enough to Dubrovnik for flying in and out . Tiny place ye could cycle around in an hour or two . Ye would see the B&B/restaurant owner out fishing for your dinner during the day . Quality spot but probably not if your goin for a session .

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

I travelled all over Croatia, even went to Medjugorje (our lady appeared there) for a look - beautiful scenery - clear water - not as cheap as you would imagine - you can take a day trip from split to Venice which is well worth it.

If you can afford it, spend a night in Venice. I had great craic the one night I was there, although that was probably only cos I spent it in a hostel and ended up drinking with some hot Australian girls. Not that I have much against day trips, but the place isn't a theme park. Apparently the population drops over 50% at night.

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 12:16pm

Croatian women are the greatest in the world
Whatever you're into double B. 

Confused Wacko 

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 9:28pm
Would Split be the best place for a lads holiday in Croatia? 

Not going til' after Faro in September so want to find a place that won't be dead as its after peak season. Croatia is 1 of the possibilities

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 9:43pm

Would Split be the best place for a lads holiday in Croatia? 

Not going til' after Faro in September so want to find a place that won't be dead as its after peak season. Croatia is 1 of the possibilities

Fly to split and get the ferry over to Hvar - the party Island. It's great craic.
Croatian women are unbelievable.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 1:25pm
Yeah would second Hvar for the lads holiday

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 5:28pm
Any good Irish bars? Do they serve chips? Can you watch Liverpool? Don't mind foreign birds, can ya pull a mot from Inchicore?

Posted By: Ballycastle
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:23pm
Stayed in Cavtat before a few years ago it's a little town not far from Dubrovnik lovely spot.

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:23pm
bump. 

talked the Mrs out of a trip to Spain in August. Looking at flying direct to Dubrovnik from Cork. 

was in Dubrovnik twice before so won't be heading there. anyone been to cavtat or budva? or recommend heading somewhere else close to it for another 2 or 3 nights etc. have 7 days in total. 

recommend day trips and the like Thumbs Up 

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:36pm

Some good stuff from McG in here 

https://forum.ybig.ie/travel-thread_topic56842_page10.html" rel="nofollow - https://forum.ybig.ie/travel-thread_topic56842_page10.html

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:37pm
Zadar is a lovely spot. It’s like Dungarvan but sunnier and marginally better for a perv. The old town is really nice there.

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:51pm

Zadar is a lovely spot. It’s like Dungarvan but sunnier and marginally better for a perv. The old town is really nice there.

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:36pm

bump. 

talked the Mrs out of a trip to Spain in August. Looking at flying direct to Dubrovnik from Cork. 

was in Dubrovnik twice before so won't be heading there. anyone been to cavtat or budva? or recommend heading somewhere else close to it for another 2 or 3 nights etc. have 7 days in total. 

By the time you make up yer mind, they'll be after re-uniting with Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Kosovo & Macedonia (maybe even the Greek one) 

Date Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:15pm

bump. 

Budva is well worth the visit

Date Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:06am

bump. 

By the time you make up yer mind, they'll be after re-uniting with Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Kosovo & Macedonia (maybe even the Greek one) 

Date Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:22am
anybody ever been to pula in Croatia...any info???

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 9:43pm
Booked return flights today. Plan is either 3 days in cavtat or budva and then 4 days in Split 

Posted By: Trevor.ie
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 9:57pm
If you are flying into Dubrovnic, Chill out for your first night in Hotel Croatia, 15 minutes from airport but a fantastic hotel,walk down to Cav and have great food, perfect start to your tripThumbs Up

Its Keane Yes

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 12:56pm
Booked a few nights in Dubrovnik in Sept. Staying just outside on Lapad peninsula. Any info appreciated Big smile

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 1:33pm

Booked a few nights in Dubrovnik in Sept. Staying just outside on Lapad peninsula. Any info appreciated Big smile

Great spot BSM.

Id recommend to book a boat over to Mljet. It's a cracking island altogether with zero to no cars. You can rent bikes and get around the whole thing quick enough. Some spot, the whole island is a UNESCO world heritage site.

Posted By: jamo1
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 3:09pm
Looking at Zadar in October. Anyone been?

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 3:34pm
Where would be a good to go for 3 nights to take in of scenery and ambience?

Posted By: Cabs88
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 3:43pm

We based ourselves there for 5 nights in May. Lapad very well served with bus in and out of Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik itself is a great spot, some excellent places to eat especially. It is expensive but most of the things to do can be done in a day or two. We went to lokrum for a day, Mostar and did a day trip to Monetenegro. 

Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Cabs88 Cabs88 wrote:

We based ourselves there for 5 nights in May. Lapad very well served with bus in and out of Dubrovnik. Dubrovnik itself is a great spot, some excellent places to eat especially. It is expensive but most of the things to do can be done in a day or two. We went to lokrum for a day, Mostar and did a day trip to Monetenegro. 
How did you rate Mostar ? 
 It's a spot i would love to visit just for the bridge 

Posted By: Cabs88
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 8:28pm

We only really spent the day walking around the stalls and watching the lads jumping off the bridge. The bridge is a big draw. Bosnian and Herzegovinian (make sure to mention both!) food and coffee are class in my opinion. From being over for the play off, Sarajevo had a lot more to see and do, walking tour, historical sites etc. 

Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach