Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=42660
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 9:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rip Off Ireland Alive and Well Still
Posted By: ODCO
Subject: Rip Off Ireland Alive and Well Still
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:12pm
They wanted €7.75 for a 12.5 gram pouch of tobacco yesterday evening in my local Spar. They were out of boxes (also 12.5G) which contain papers and filters and are €5.00...the 12.5g pouches have No filters and papers. WTFConfused Naturally I walked.

I was told by someone that the Price of a pint of stout in the Old Stand in town is now €5.20Confused
Never liked those pricks anyway ever since they wouldn't put on Rovers versus Bray for me a few years ago. Was told it was "a rugby pub" t**sers. I heard Gordon Darcy bought it not sure if that's true though.

This prick who runs a restaurant near my work that makes good pizzas and hot chicken sambos etc that i frequented a lot last year told me that everything is gone up. So a Pizza is now €7 instead of €6 a week ago and a mineral is €1.20 up from €1. Unlucky for him I won't be back.

Anymore ****s trying to take the piss in the New Year so far ?

-------------
Bleeding Trisha Always on me Bleeding Case

Replies:
Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:14pm
Abbey TravelThumbs Up

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:15pm
Ireland is expensive but Dublin is unreal, a pint in Dublin can cost €2 more than other places in Ireland. All the people coming over for the Gathering won't come back because of the prices.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:18pm
One of the worst pints of Guinness Ive gotten in Galway, The House Hotel - €4.90

Infuriated I walked out of there all the way to McSwiggans in woodquay for a much nicer Pint of porter at the swashbuckling price of €3 ClapClap Unbelievable stuff from the Gents in there.

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Ireland is expensive but Dublin is unreal, a pint in Dublin can cost €2 more than other places in Ireland. All the people coming over for the Gathering won't come back because of the prices.
 That is the thing though. Plenty of pubs in town running great promotions for drink. €3.30 a pint in O'Reilly's and €3 a bottle in MacTurcaills. I'm sure there's loads more around town as well. That said, plenty of rip off's around Dublin city centre as well. I was in the International bar a few weeks ago, ordered two pints of Heineken, handed over a tenner and the girl asked me for another 30 cent. What a bloody joke.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

That is the thing though. Plenty of pubs in town running great promotions for drink. €3.30 a pint in O'Reilly's and €3 a bottle in MacTurcaills. I'm sure there's loads more around town as well. That said, plenty of rip off's around Dublin city centre as well. I was in the International bar a few weeks ago, ordered two pints of Heineken, handed over a tenner and the girl asked me for another 30 cent. What a bloody joke.

Exactly, if people shop around you will get good value, more the fool whoever pays the extortionate prices, plenty of deals in pubs around Dublin.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:31pm
I'm sure the high rates businesses pay has a part in them charging higher prices

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Abbey TravelThumbs Up
LOL Forgot about them f**ks

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Exactly, if people shop around you will get good value, more the fool whoever pays the extortionate prices, plenty of deals in pubs around Dublin.

Confused I never said there wasn't deals to be got. Just highlighting that some f**ks are ripping people offThumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:34pm

Abbey TravelThumbs Up

LOL

you dont mince your words kerzy anyway 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by IrishPride IrishPride wrote:

One of the worst pints of Guinness Ive gotten in Galway, The House Hotel - €4.90

Infuriated I walked out of there all the way to McSwiggans in woodquay for a much nicer Pint of porter at the swashbuckling price of €3 ClapClap Unbelievable stuff from the Gents in there.

mcswiggans do pints at €3? is that still on. mates arecoming down for the united pool game on sunday. might head there if thats the price

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:37pm
Had the misfortune of being in Cafe en Seine one night and a pint of Bulmers after 11pm was €6.20.

Re: The tobacco, get a cheap flight to Portugal and get the 50 gram packs for €4 each. Be easy to pay for your flight. My oul fella buys about 50 packs and it does him for most of the year and he saves about €700.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by ODCO ODCO wrote:

Confused I never said there wasn't deals to be got. Just highlighting that some f**ks are ripping people offThumbs Up

Irish rail prices are after rocketing up recently, absolute rip off now.

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:41pm

jokeshop

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:42pm

Fcuking dead right.Can't believe how nobody else has said this before.
Used to be 40e return from Castlebar to Dublin.Think a one way was more expensiveConfused
Then it was great value if you booked online (about 10e midweek) now gone back up to 40e (online) in the space of a year or so WTF?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:47pm
I heard a spokesperson from Irish rail saying the reason for the hike was not enough using their service so they now have penalised the people already using them, disgraceful.

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 6:18pm
just as a matter of interest ,whats the dearest place for a pint of Guinness in Dublin(not including hotels)?

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 6:21pm

Try the Temple Bar pub. You won't get 3 pints for a score.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 6:36pm
Dublin bus as well hiking annually. Cheapest fare now 1.65, was 1.05 2-3 years ago. With transport you dont have a choice but with pubs, if they retain those rip off prices its only because gombeens are paying those prices. May as well part fools from their money I say. If Anyone here was a publican and could increase prices if You knew people would pay them, ye would!

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 6:44pm
Pint in the local is now 5.10

Fookin scandalous

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 6:44pm

To get the online discounts you need to book at least a week in advance.

-------------

Posted By: Rostrevor Fan
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Holy Jaysus - 3 Pints in my local GAA club £7.80 stg

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:21pm

True but I'd rather have a pint there than the Inter. Ya can be sure to get a dirty glass full of flies and gone off beer in the InterDead

-------------

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:43pm

Dublin bus as well hiking annually. Cheapest fare now 1.65, was 1.05 2-3 years ago.Dublin bus as well hiking annually. Cheapest fare now 1.65, was 1.05 2-3 years ago. With transport you dont have a choice but with pubs, if they retain those rip off prices its only because gombeens are paying those prices. May as well part fools from their money I say. If Anyone here was a publican and could increase prices if You knew people would pay them, ye would!

The nightlink has gone up to 5.70 this week too. This the problem with such a monopoly. My weekly ticket is up to €25 from €23, which isnt bad considering the use i get out of it.  Realistically they could put it up to €60-€70 and id still have to use them.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:52pm

To get the online discounts you need to book at least a week in advance.

No you don't its 3 days in advance

The 2 days for the next level of pricing

And finally with 1 day in advance they go full price.

For ennis it's is

15 single for 3 days in advance

23 single for 2 days

30 single full price 1 day and day of travel

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Dublin bus as well hiking annually. Cheapest fare now 1.65, was 1.05 2-3 years ago.Dublin bus as well hiking annually. Cheapest fare now 1.65, was 1.05 2-3 years ago. With transport you dont have a choice but with pubs, if they retain those rip off prices its only because gombeens are paying those prices. May as well part fools from their money I say. If Anyone here was a publican and could increase prices if You knew people would pay them, ye would!

The nightlink has gone up to 5.70 this week too. This the problem with such a monopoly. My weekly ticket is up to €25 from €23, which isnt bad considering the use i get out of it.  Realistically they could put it up to €60-€70 and id still have to use them.

UK has private travel and have some of the most expensive travel in Europe. France and Germany have state owned and are cheaper

Ireland has the lowest subsidy levels in Europe hence the need for them to put up their prices. Most other country put high level of government subsidies into their transport as they know it promotes economic activity and is helpful for a socially cohesive society.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:56pm

True but I'd rather have a pint there than the Inter. Ya can be sure to get a dirty glass full of flies and gone off beer in the InterDead

International has one of the nicest pints of Guinness in Dublin

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

No you don't its 3 days in advance

The 2 days for the next level of pricing

And finally with 1 day in advance they go full price.

For ennis it's is

15 single for 3 days in advance

23 single for 2 days

30 single full price 1 day and day of travel

You and Gaz would be good in business Baldy.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:06pm
I drove home at Christmas and it cost me more than sixty euro so not sure how its a rip off.

Trains have to be fuelled also and as everybody knows petrol prices have shot up and government subsidies have been cut also.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:11pm
How much is a vodka in Dublin I got a vodka in Waterford for €3.90. Couldn't believe it.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:22pm

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused It's a sh*thole full of crusties who don't wash and neither are the glasses

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:25pm
Last time I was in there I was given a can of beer

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:29pm

If you can the annual bus pass from your job go for it. Could be gone up slightly but it's not much more than a tenner a week and you can use it at weekends and for the nightlink, airlink etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Last time I was in there I was given a can of beer
I'd well believe .itLOL Smythies local BSM I think that sums it up !

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:35pm

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused It's a sh*thole full of crusties who don't wash and neither are the glasses

that may be true but it still has one of the nicest pints of Guinness in Dublin.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:36pm

If you can the annual bus pass from your job go for it. Could be gone up slightly but it's not much more than a tenner a week and you can use it at weekends and for the nightlink, airlink etc.

Depends on what tax band you are on but my dart and bus ticket work out about 13 euro net a week and that includes the airlink and nightlink as you say. 

13 euro a weeks a bargain. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: SuperDub
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:50pm

Dublin bus as well hiking annually. Cheapest fare now 1.65, was 1.05 2-3 years ago. With transport you dont have a choice but with pubs, if they retain those rip off prices its only because gombeens are paying those prices. May as well part fools from their money I say. If Anyone here was a publican and could increase prices if You knew people would pay them, ye would!

Get yourself a leap card cheapest fare with it is €1.40. I'm amazed at the amount of people who use Dublin Bus and still pay by cash and by doing so pay 20-30c extra per fare. You can also use the leap card on the Luas and with Irish Rail.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:03pm

Depends on what tax band you are on but my dart and bus ticket work out about 13 euro net a week and that includes the airlink and nightlink as you say. 

13 euro a weeks a bargain. 

Explain this Baldy, gonna be getting dart from Portmarnock to Sydney Parade and thought it would cost me 30-35 a week?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:05pm
http://www.taxsaver.ie/" rel="nofollow - http://www.taxsaver.ie/

You need to buy your annual ticket and have your job deduct it directly from your wages and its deducted out of your gross so depending on which tax band you are in it will determine the savings you are on.  It may be too late to get it as it depends on your job.  Ours has to be in by November.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:14pm
Am aware of tax saved just heard the savings were poor so never looked into it.

Posted By: Andkend
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:23pm
The tram here in Poznan went up to 2.70pln from 2.50pln for 15 minutes -

Considering the wages -

I.e the average into your hand is about 380euro a month the transport is not that cheap. People are really complaining.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:29pm

well if you are on the higher rate of tax the tax saving is about 53 per cent when you take into account the USC and other charges such as pension levies etc. 

If you are on the lower rate of tax its still in and around 28 per cent saving. 

anyway the site shows you exactly what you would save.  Its a no brainer to do, and whoever told you that the savings were minimal is a gobsh*te.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:32pm

well if you are on the higher rate of tax the tax saving is about 53 per cent when you take into account the USC and other charges such as pension levies etc. 

anyway the site shows you exactly what you would save.  Its a no brainer to do, and whoever told you that the savings were minimal is a gobsh*te.

Steady on Baldy, when you factor in each person's case then maybe your figures are skewed, I would only commute 5 days a week and wouldn't commute for 4 weeks of the year with annual leave so when you factor in these things maybe it isn't as clear cut as you say.

Your figures are based on someone getting the maximum use of ticket, would have thought better of you than to have a biased argument to back up your case.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:35pm
So your weekly dart will be 11.25 if you are on the higher rate of tax and it will be 16.17 if you are on the lower rate. 

If you go for bus and dart which includes nightlink and the airlink it will cost

13.09  on the higher rate  and 18.82 on the lower rate.  

Nobody can say that those prices are expensive or not good value.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:37pm

Steady on Baldy, when you factor in each person's case then maybe your figures are skewed, I would only commute 5 days a week and wouldn't commute for 4 weeks of the year with annual leave so when you factor in these things maybe it isn't as clear cut as you say.

Your figures are based on someone getting the maximum use of ticket, would have thought better of you than to have a biased argument to back up your case.

you just said you were expecting it to be 35 euro a week I am saying it can be as low as 11 euro 11 euro a week.  Its a no brainer for feck sake.  Even taking into account your 4 weeks annual leave,  it is still a massive saving.  Whether you are travelling 5 days or not if you said you were thinking it was going to be 35 a week, an average saving of 24 euro a week is not bad. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by IrishPride IrishPride wrote:

mcswiggans do pints at €3? is that still on. mates arecoming down for the united pool game on sunday. might head there if thats the price
Ya was in there this weekend still 3 euro.

On another note. Bought 3 double vodka red bulls in the skeff last weekend. Dunno why I was ion there. €42. Worst Pub in Galway

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:38pm

by the way my figures are not based on usage at all. I am saying what the flat charge is.  How are they based on usage.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:39pm
How much would I have to pay on the train from Balbriggan to Sydney Parade Baldy ? only been on the thing once or twice in my life havent a clue about it, thanks.  

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:40pm
www.irishrail.ie for the one of charges  etc. 

but if you bought the travel pass with taxsaver.ie and Balbriggan is covered in the annual train pass so your weekly would be as said above depending on what  tax rate you are on

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:41pm
Baldy, The Eddie Hobbs of YBIGClap

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:41pm
How did you work out all those savings though is it on that site too ?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:43pm
yeah the site does it for you.  The site is fool proof 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:45pm
All fares on public transport tickets should be at least doubled, free travel for elderly should be discarded, a proper license and tax system should be introduced for the winged rats (cyclists).
The revenue earned should be used to repair the rural roads which have fallen into a sorry state over the last few years

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:47pm
jeez that's dirt cheap.

I spend €25 a week on the london underground and €65 on the overground so that's a total of €90/week. My commute is approx a 50 mile round trip which works out at €18/day or €360/month.

Someone on a previous page was giving out about there being no competition but over here there is plenty of competition the only problem is te routes are carved up between the operators therefore there is no competition on many of the routes.

Overall I've found prices to have come down significantly in Ireland. What stands out though to the contrary is meals in bars and the price of alcohol. jeez I felt disgusted when I saw what I paid for a round in that snotty Bruxelles last year.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

All fares on public transport tickets should be at least doubled, free travel for elderly should be discarded, a proper license and tax system should be introduced for the winged rats (cyclists).
The revenue earned should be used to repair the rural roads which have fallen into a sorry state over the last few years

The amount of elderly people who go for midweek breaks and keep hotels all around the country open due to the free travel is unreal.    Short sighted  viewpoint there Deise.  

The grey pound is helping many hotels stay open esp the mid week trade.  

Public Transport in High density areas actually helps economic activing as it gets lots of people to and from work in a quick time and frees the main roads for transport of goods and services. 

Efficient well used public transports is a key component of a successful economy.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

jeez that's dirt cheap.

I spend €25 a week on the london underground and €65 on the overground so that's a total of €90/week. My commute is approx a 50 mile round trip which works out at €18/day or €360/month.

Someone on a previous page was giving out about there being no competition but over here there is plenty of competition the only problem is te routes are carved up between the operators therefore there is no competition on many of the routes.

Overall I've found prices to have come down significantly in Ireland. What stands out though to the contrary is meals in bars and the price of alcohol. jeez I felt disgusted when I saw what I paid for a round in that snotty Bruxelles last year.

Bruxells is a rip off though. People always pick the wort places such as bruxelles, temple bar etc.  These places are outliers to the extreme.  There are other outliers at the other end such as O Reillys and Mc Turcaills at the lower end or a couple of pubs in Cork where I got a pint of Beamich for 2.90.  

As I said in an earlier post the UK has a private transport system and is one of the most expensive systems in the world.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:52pm
Havent a breeze what I was doing there but thanks Baldy Big smile

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:56pm

The amount of elderly people who go for midweek breaks and keep hotels all around the country open due to the free travel is unreal.    Short sighted  viewpoint there Deise.  

The grey pound is helping many hotels stay open esp the mid week trade

Public Transport in High density areas actually helps economic activing as it gets lots of people to and from work in a quick time and frees the main roads for transport of goods and services. 

Efficient well used public transports is a key component of a successful economy.

would love to see some evidence supporting this?

i dont think i have ever heard anyone describe our public transport system as efficient either

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:59pm

jeez that's dirt cheap.

Bruxells is a rip off though. People always pick the wort places such as bruxelles, temple bar etc.  These places are outliers to the extreme.  There are other outliers at the other end such as O Reillys and Mc Turcaills at the lower end or a couple of pubs in Cork where I got a pint of Beamich for 2.90.  

As I said in an earlier post the UK has a private transport system and is one of the most expensive systems in the world.

I was with mates baldy who led the way....next time I'll know better.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:00pm
Well Sandra. say you are living out in Balbriggan, and you get the train every day and you never use the bus.  I would recommend that you get the annual train ticket which is 1120 per year. 

If you are on the higher rate of tax this would come to €585 and if you are on the lower rate of tax it would be €841 divided by 52 weeks of the year works out at 11.25  per week and 16.17  per week. 

The Bus and Train ticket is 1420 so thats €681   (13.09 per week) and €979 (18.82 per week) 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:04pm

The grey pound is helping many hotels stay open esp the mid week trade

would love to see some evidence supporting this?

i dont think i have ever heard anyone describe our public transport system as efficient either

The Dart is very efficient and the Luas seems to be also, but I do not use it.  I think Dublin bus has very good record in relation to punctuality etc and Irishrail's punctuality.  average is in the mid 90s. Many of the biggest critics of public transport are those who find the idea repulsive to begin with and do not like sharing public spaces with people and as a result love the comfort of their car/van etc.  The dart gets me into the centre anywhere from 15 minutes to 25 minutes every day depending on which train I get.  Doing this in a car on a Saturday morning at 7am without traffic is around 25  minutes so the Dart is unbelievable in this regard as it does during rush hour.    I can go from couch to desk in less than 35 minutes.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:06pm
The only thing that is in anyway efficient is the buses that makes a loss too....very Irish!!

A mate is a bus driver and the amount of customers who are oaps, prisoners on temp release and others with freebie travel is unreal.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

How much would I have to pay on the train from Balbriggan to Sydney Parade Baldy ? only been on the thing once or twice in my life havent a clue about it, thanks.  

U living out that way? How do you find the commute across?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:13pm

The only thing that is in anyway efficient is the buses that makes a loss too....very Irish!!

A mate is a bus driver and the amount of customers who are oaps, prisoners on temp release and others with freebie travel is unreal.

Something can be efficient and make a loss.  People talk about German trains and  they make a loss.  If you look at public transport and purely judge it on a profit and loss it will probably never make a profit.  However public transport has huge benefits to society such as efficient transfer of people and allowing transfer of goods and services throughtout the  economy.  Looking at it purely on the basis of profit and loss misses the point entirely.  Countries such as Sweden, Netherlands Germany France know this and as a result have much higher subsidies for their public transport system. Ireland has one of the lowest levels of Government subsidies.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Huggybeer
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:20pm

OAPs have paid their dues, no problem with their free travel

But why do prisoners on temp release and self inflicted junkies get free travel, this wrecks my fckuin buzz

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:23pm

jeez that's dirt cheap.

They do do a fine foaming  pint of Stella thoughThumbs Up 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:24pm
I would pay money to see you pay over fiver euro for a beer.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:25pm
They should bring back freight and cement on the trains, that was a big income but it all went away because FF were getting big money off the hauliers. Ironically the Green party made things worse.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:28pm

Not yet but will more than likely be in the next few weeks. Not sure if I will hack the commute across to be honest but im going to give it a go. Do you work near Sydney Parade ?

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:28pm
dublin is an awful rip off now.......your better of stay in for 2/3 weekends(hard i know)then getting a cheap flight with ryanair to some city in spain,poland etc and going on the rip fri-sun..save yourself a bomb.

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:29pm

I would pay money to see you pay over fiver euro for a beer.  

LOL, I would pay over a fiver for a decent pint of Stella, not the cats piss that is usually on offer in dublin pubs

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:30pm

Not yet but will more than likely be in the next few weeks. Not sure if I will hack the commute across to be honest but im going to give it a go. Do you work near Sydney Parade ?

Balbriggan is a fair bit out, good value for renting though, there are so many places on daft so good choice. Yeah I am in Booterstown are you out there!?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:31pm
Yeah thats a bit of a f**ker  of a commute.  2 hours every day

by the way  SGB,  whats the address of your job  :)   go on give us a laugh 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:31pm

Well Sandra. say you are living out in Balbriggan, and you get the train every day and you never use the bus.  I would recommend that you get the annual train ticket which is 1120 per year. 

If you are on the higher rate of tax this would come to €585 and if you are on the lower rate of tax it would be €841 divided by 52 weeks of the year works out at 11.25  per week and 16.17  per week. 

The Bus and Train ticket is 1420 so thats €681   (13.09 per week) and €979 (18.82 per week) 

Heart

That's for nothing really. My bf was working it out for me last night and he was saying a fiver e/w he obviously isnt as clever as you tho. Do these savings only apply to a weekly ticket as I plan on staying in my mam's a few days during the week if im on an early or late shift in work so I doubt I will be getting the train every day ?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:35pm
Yeah Sono its my mams place so we are getting a bargain tbh so thats why I am going to give it a go. No lease or anything so we can walk if its not working. We have to gut the whole place and do it all up first tho. Im in Power Tower (paddy power) in Clonskeagh Sono. And why is the address of my job funny Baldy ? Think ill drive one or two days a week to, to soften the blow of having to use public transport :) 

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:35pm
You have to have it deducted from your wages directly Sandra. 

Your BF is right its 5.20 each way if you buy the tickets at the station. You need to do it so you are issued with an annual card that does for the whole year.  You need to ask your employer do they do it.  Most of them do it. 

The cost is whether you travel or not.  So basically its the same amount coming out of your wages every week even if you do not use the train or not. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:36pm
Best of luck with it, good to have no commitment

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:36pm

Yeah Sono its my mams place so we are getting a bargain tbh so thats why I am going to give it a go. No lease or anything so we can walk if its not working. We have to gut the whole place and do it all up first tho. Im in Power Tower (paddy power) in Clonskeagh Sono. And why is the address of my job funny Baldy ? Think ill drive one or two days a week to, to soften the blow of having to use public transport :) 

is it not Beaver row or something. Wink

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:37pm
Dublin can be pricey no doubt about it and you do wonder what tourists thinks when viewed by some of the prices but plenty of places still busy despite the pricesShocked. Definetly not as many nordies heading down because of the prices though  dubliners can take solace in the fact myself and mrs newryrep will be down next weekend staying in our usual haunt (£60Stg a night which i didnt think was bad value) and will be visiting various establishements 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:39pm
I think meals are good value in Dublin. Some unreal bargains for early birds etc. .  anything from 15 euro to 25 euro for some really good 3 course early birds. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:40pm

is it not Beaver row or something. Wink

No but I wish it was Tongue

Yeah cheers Sono prob see you at Sydney Parade sometime Big smile

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:42pm

You have to have it deducted from your wages directly Sandra. 

Your BF is right its 5.20 each way if you buy the tickets at the station. You need to do it so you are issued with an annual card that does for the whole year.  You need to ask your employer do they do it.  Most of them do it. 

The cost is whether you travel or not.  So basically its the same amount coming out of your wages every week even if you do not use the train or not. 

Thats grand if it comes out of your wages each week. At least you wont really notice it. Id say my job do that they are good for that type of thing. I think I get half price tolls too not sure how that works but will need to look into it all.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:45pm
The pass is cheaper than 1 return journey a week from Balbriggan so its a no brainer really if you can sort it. Plus the convenience of having the ticket means no rummaging for change and and getting held up before you board the train etc. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 12:33am
I didn't bother with the bus/rail as wouldn't use the rail every week guaranteed. Have the leap card for the Dart though so you just top it up and scan it on the machine at each end of your journey - very handy.

-------------

Posted By: Biffo
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 12:37am

Got sold a jumper by some dodgy bollix recently. Rip offs everywhere

Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 12:47am
Has this become the Iarnroid Eireann hating thread ...???
Aer Lingus MID WEEK FLIGHTS..midweek,especially around away games ..coonts have it well copped, put another plane on gimps!

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 1:28am
Originally posted by HateHenry HateHenry wrote:

Has this become the Iarnroid Eireann hating thread ...???
Aer Lingus MID WEEK FLIGHTS..midweek,especially around away games ..coonts have it well copped, put another plane on gimps!

Fookers had a deal on on the 31st Secember and 1st January for 25% off fares, but the online booking wasn't up for any dates after the 20th January because the new timetable needed to be approved by the NTA and I need to book returns to Cork on the 22nd and 30th January. Grrrr. So, yeah, pissed off. Entitled to hate, especially now the trains are open for booking and they haven't released promo codes *despite* promising that they would give out promo codes to promote the new timetable.

Normally have no problem with IR (they are usually punctual, the trains are clean and comfortable, they're not overly expensive if you get promo codes when booking) but this has been a pain in the tits. I got a return to Cork early in January for €33 and am going to be spending €44 on each of the two returns I have to book coming up unless they live up to their promise and release some more promo codes.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Biffo Biffo wrote:

Got sold a jumper by some dodgy bollix recently. Rip offs everywhere
LOL Not by me ya didn't ! have hoodies if your interested though ?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 9:30am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Has this become the Iarnroid Eireann hating thread
...???

Fookers had a deal on on the 31st Secember and 1st January for 25% off fares, but the online booking wasn't up for any dates after the 20th January because the new timetable needed to be approved by the NTA and I need to book returns to Cork on the 22nd and 30th January. Grrrr. So, yeah, pissed off. Entitled to hate, especially now the trains are open for booking and they haven't released promo codes *despite* promising that they would give out promo codes to promote the new timetable.

Normally have no problem with IR (they are usually punctual, the trains are clean and comfortable, they're not overly expensive if you get promo codes when booking) but this has been a pain in the tits. I got a return to Cork early in January for €33 and am going to be spending €44 on each of the two returns I have to book coming up unless they live up to their promise and release some more promo codes.

44 euro return is very good. Try driving it for less.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 12:57pm

...???

Impossible. Especially without a car. Or a driving licence.

-------------

Posted By: Black Knee Stevie
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 12:58pm
Was down in Dublin with some American relatives and we were drinking in the temple bar pub, they kept asking what I was drinking and I was ordering Jameson and cokes all night. I didnt even know the price of the things but going on what's been said here I'd say it would'nt of been cheap Ouch

Also the next day me and my cousin were dandering around the place doing abit of shopping, and we were in a sports shop and the girl working there was telling my cousin about how the place was a rip off Thumbs Down ya don't tell the foreigners/customers that.  Another thing, half the shops weren't open until 10 o'clock, how yaz gonna pay back the Germans if yiz don't open til that time of the day?

-------------
It is not just a simple game, it is a weapon of the revolution

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 1:10pm

...???

€44 seems expensive but it would cost plenty more to drive it.The cork -dublin train is the best route in the country ,a train every hour between 7am -7pm.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

...???

€44 seems expensive but it would cost plenty more to drive it.The cork -dublin train is the best route in the country ,a train every hour between 7am -7pm.

Oh I know. I get it frequently and even if I had a car, I would definitely still get the train (I can also work on the train whereas typing on a laptop while driving wouldn't exactly be safe). It's just the fact that their incompetence and failure to live up to an earlier promise is costing me €22 more than it should. €88 instead of €66.

-------------

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 11:05am
€4.10 for a red bull in most pubs/clubs in Galway

Was in diceys the night after the ybig quiz in November, all drinks were supposed to be 2€ in there. My mate was boozing and i was on soft drinks/energy drinks as usual. I head up to the bar and ordered a pint of Bud or whatever my mate was drinking and a lucozade for myself, Barman charged me 5.70, asked was it not supposed to be 4€ for the 2 drinks, Barman replied the 2€ offer is only on some cheap red bull for non alcoholic drinks

No wonder half this country are pissheads.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: Rostrevor Fan
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 11:08am
Guf £1.30 for all soft drinks in our local club inc red bull / lucozade  

-------------

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Rostrevor Fan Rostrevor Fan wrote:

Guf £1.30 for all soft drinks in our local club inc red bull / lucozade  

Not down here im afraid

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Guf10 Guf10 wrote:

Was in diceys the night after the ybig quiz in November, all drinks were supposed to be 2€ in there. My mate was boozing and i was on soft drinks/energy drinks as usual. I head up to the bar and ordered a pint of Bud or whatever my mate was drinking and a lucozade for myself, Barman charged me 5.70, asked was it not supposed to be 4€ for the 2 drinks, Barman replied the 2€ offer is only on some cheap red bull for non alcoholic drinks

So the lesson of the day is drink alcohol it's cheaper

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 11:48am

Half?

-------------

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 11:51am

5.70-4.10-2.00= -0.40

Ya saved forty pence there.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: coleman's
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 12:31pm
4.20 for red bull in my local, 1.55 in the offo next door though some just ask the bar man to get it out of there, some rip off that stuff

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net