Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=42650
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: First aid
Posted By: Polcia
Subject: First aid
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 11:29pm
How much, do you, guys, know about First Aid? Can you provide it?
Are there any first-aid courses and how much do they cost?

Is first aid taught at school or maybe during driving licence course in Ireland? How good is it? Do you think that ordinary citizen of Ireland can do it? (not a doc/nurse/paramedic)

By first aid I mean CPR (Basic Life Support), first aid if someone is choking, fell from high, was drowning, get electic shock, got burned, drank some toxin/took drugs, etc., not:

Replies:
Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 11:36pm
Cant do it but must do a course for it. I think its around 100 euro. They dont even teach sex education in school not to mind first aid. Thats why we have so many single parents who also dont know first aid

Posted By: Polcia
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 12:09am
Hahaha,I think you got a point there LOL

We don't have sex educiation at school neither, and first aid is taught mostly in high school,but I think it's really not enough... 
I had some first aid classes during driving licence course,but if I hadn't learned it myself first,I wouldn't know preety anything after that classes... Disapprove
and most people seem not to give a crap about first aid,which makes me wonder if people are really so ignorant, or so stupid and mindless? 
I know that I have to know first aid perfectly,because I'll be a doc soon,but even before I started medical education,I decided to learn it,to be able to save my relatives and friends if anything would happen to them, not because I felt need to provide medical help to every stink homeless drunk lying on the street (now I have to).

Anyway - if anyone is interested,here you can find current guidelines about CPR from European Resuscitation Council (from 2010,they give new guideliness every 5 years,so next will be in 2015)

http://resuscitation-guidelines.articleinmotion.com/resource-center

Actually I think that you might be interested in BLS (Basic Life Support) in adults and children (PLS -Paediatric Life Support),rest is for doctors and other medical staff. So you'd need to read articles: 1st,2nd,3rd, and 6th

I might search for something more in the internet if you'd be interested in it 

cheers

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 12:12am
Did Occupational First Aid last August. Can not for the life of me understand why CPR and other basic bits isn't taught in school. It takes 3 days for feck sake. Everybody should be able to perform CPR.

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 12:17am
Trained First Aider anseo

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 12:30am

I have a certificate floating around somewhere.

I was also a fire warden at some stage in my life Cool

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

I have a certificate floating around somewhere.

I was also a fire warden at some stage in my life Cool

No wonder you don't get on with Horsebox

I will try to learn it when I get over this winter vomiting bug :(

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: mohsinrasheed
Date Posted: 04 May 2023 at 3:13pm
First aid is the initial medical care provided to an injured or ill person before professional medical assistance arrives. The primary goal of first aid is to stabilize the victim's condition and prevent further harm. The first aider should assess the situation, call for help, provide basic life support, control bleeding, treat for shock, provide specific first aid procedures, monitor the victim's condition and keep them calm. It is crucial to seek professional medical help as soon as possible.

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 13 May 2023 at 5:19pm
I asked a first aid trainer before about providing first aid training to kids in school. I was surprised when she said it may not always be a good idea. She said how that its not a once off thing, refresher courses are very important and need to be undertaken regularly. Also it is a huge responisbilty for a young person to undertake. Incorrect first aid can do harm if not administered correctly too. 

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 13 May 2023 at 7:24pm
Yeah sure you’d have people refusing to partake for fear of being sued for administering incorrectly. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 13 May 2023 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Yeah sure you’d have people refusing to partake for fear of being sued for administering incorrectly. 
First Aiders as in those with even the most basic training/certification are protected by ‘the good samaritan law’. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net