Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=41342
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Joe Brolly
Posted By: Green Devil
Subject: Joe Brolly
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 9:34pm
Fair play to Joe Brolly , his team mate needed a kidney and Joe gave him one of his own. 

A heroic thing to do Clap 

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2012/1005/340526-joe-brolly-recovering-after-donating-kidney/" rel="nofollow - http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2012/1005/340526-joe-brolly-recovering-after-donating-kidney/

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Replies:
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 9:38pm
As much as I dislike him on The Sunday Game fair play to him Clap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 10:09pm
What a kind, generous ****

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 10:20pm
LOL

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 10:26pm
Pity he didn't donate the 2nd one while he was at it..........

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Pity he didn't donate the 2nd one while he was at it..........

LOL
seriously though, that takes some guts (no pun intended) to do. can you still drink alcohol when you donate a kidney. what really changes to ya or are there any  when you donate one? i assume you need to havea good diet

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Smartalex
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 11:52pm
the same joe brolly who praised irish fans at the euros when others were putting the boot in ?

top gesture from a top man

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 11:12am
Hates Cork, wins all Ireland's, winds up the Mexicans something fierce and now donating organs to clubmates- what's above sainthood?

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 12:29pm
No idea who JB is but fair play to him...very nice gesture.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 2:49pm
Really don't like Joe Brolly on the Sunday Game or in the paper.Thought he has become worse over the years but gone way up in my estimation now.Fair play to himClap

Posted By: BaileNuisBhoy
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 4:16pm
Legend of a man Clap

-------------
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 4:17pm
Fair play to Joe. Clap Big wum at times but I have a lot of respect for the man

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 5:48pm
I think Brolly is brilliant , have been a fan ever since the kisses

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 6:26pm
This chap is the most annoying fooker on television (including Brendan O'Connor). But credit where it's due, great gesture.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: eire32
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 6:46pm
the man is a hero,
well done joe

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 6:30pm
http://www.derryjournal.com/news/ex-derry-gaa-star-s-transplant-op-fails-1-4369523?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed" rel="nofollow - http://www.derryjournal.com/news/ex-derry-gaa-star-s-transplant-op-fails-1-4369523?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/ex-derry-gaa-star-s-transplant-op-fails-1-4369523?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed" rel="nofollow - http://www.derryjournal.com/news/ex-derry-gaa-star-s-transplant-op-fails-1-4369523?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Fcuk sake. terrible news. Could ya imagine how tough that would be to take if you were in that situation?

-------------

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 7:23pm
Tough Scenario Alright

Posted By: salzburgnordy
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:44pm
JOeClap

-------------
Lick the back of my Nordy balls

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 2:51pm

Joe Brolly devastated by failure of kidney transplant to friend

Updated: Tuesday, 13 Nov 2012 14:47

Joe Brolly: "There was no rejection as we understand it. It was all the more agonising for that."
Joe Brolly: "There was no rejection as we understand it. It was all the more agonising for that."

All-Ireland-winning footballer and RTÉ analyst Joe Brolly has spoken of the devastation he suffered on hearing his kidney donation to a friend had failed.

The 43-year-old barrister from Derry told RTÉ News at One it was an agonising time but he "would do it all again tomorrow if he could".

The organ that was transplanted to Shane Finnegan last month stopped working when complications were discovered nine days after the major operation.

Brolly said Shane's wife called in the middle of the night to tell him the operation had failed. He said despite claims Shane's body had rejected the organ, the kidney was in fact starved of oxygen because of a blood clot.

"There was obviously deep disappointment," he said. "The kidney that had been working perfectly had to be taken out. There was no rejection as we understand it. It was all the more agonising for that.

Brolly said he "would be trying to get on", adding that he has started back running and hoped to return to work next month.

"But for Shane it's different" he said. "Because the stakes are very high, it wasn't really the sort of game you could afford to lose. For Shane, it was obviously was a hammer blow.

"The clock is ticking and he needs a kidney from a live donor urgently. He is very weak, he has lost a few stone and is very frail but mentally he is very strong."

Brolly insisted people should not be afraid of being a living donor.

"The scientific community isn't sure why we have two kidneys," he added. "You only need one kidney. Once you are healthy, you can be a living donor.

"If someone were interested, they can easily contact me, north or south. If someone put their hands up, the process is excellent, you know it's something well worth doing. I would do it all again tomorrow if I could."

He said it's been a great lesson for his children and the wider community, including St. Bridget's GAA club, where both he and Shane coached at under-age level.

During his time in hospital he said: "You could see lives being saved everyday".

There are currently 600 people in the Republic waiting for a kidney transplant, 200 in Northern Ireland - including Shane Finnegan.

Brolly added: "Between eight and 10 percent of those will die without getting a kidney and it's an awful waste, because if people filled out a donor card, it would make a massive, massive difference to other people's lives."

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 3:06am
Quality piece.

Clap 

• http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-survive-late-galway-rally-to-secure-backtoback-wins-34431108.html" rel="nofollow - Irish Independent

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:53am
It's really not. It's more self indulgent hyperbole. "If it wasn't for the GAA we would be America" is bombastic, anti historic sh*te. Of course the GAA is important to people and broadly does good, but so does every sport, but it entirely ignores the conservative history and commercial present of the organisation. It genuinely reads like he was on his second bottle of wine and had tears in his eyes writing this guff

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:07am
all his 'stories' are made up, complete bullsh*tter

Posted By: Fintan
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:39am
Young Joe drove past me in his seven series when I was sitting in my AMG not last Tuesday evening around 5pm when I was parked up on Old Channel Road in Belfast.

Gave him a wee wink and a wave and he waved back. Gent of a man.

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:43am
Joe hates Norn Iron so top man for me.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Young Joe drove past me in his seven series when I was sitting in my AMG not last Tuesday evening around 5pm when I was parked up on Old Channel Road in Belfast.

The window from my office looks onto that road Finty

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:56am

I was going past in the other direction in the Batmobile and beeped over but you both ignored me. I was very hurt by the snub and nearly spilled some of the Moet Dom Perignon White Gold that I was quaffing at the time. Imagine if I ruined my Dolce & Gabbana suit with that? I'd have to take the Lear jet over to my favorite Saville row tailor to get it replaced. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:57am
Good man Baggio I was parked there illegally for 23 minutes......cause I'm a rebel.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:37pm
Joe does indeed drive the aforementioned beemer.... I had the tunnel closed one night, you know with loads of cones and signs and the electronic gantry signs too when he pulls up and inquires if the tunnel is closed. useless little tale that though but his car reg is in the English style I believe as opposed to Nordy and ends in 'GAA' 

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:46pm
That's a good drop you were drinking

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:47pm
You what now? 

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:48pm
Does he really drive one of them? That was pot luck.
Lotto numbers this week are 1 7 13 23 28 31. Thanks. Hope you opened tje tunnel for the man

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:52pm

Lotto numbers this week are 1 7 13 23 28 31. Thanks. Hope you opened tje tunnel for the man

What ConfusedLOL

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:54pm

It's a beemer, a big one and does indeed have th reg plate ending in GAA. There was some awards night on in Dublin that night. I thought at the time it was a 5 series but I didn't check that too closely when I seen the reg plate.

young AntrimMan can verify (to a degree) as we were discussing a trip or something at the time.

Oh and no, he was sent on his way via East Wall Road, Poplar Row, Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra Road and onto the M1

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

It's really not. It's more self indulgent hyperbole. "If it wasn't for the GAA we would be America" is bombastic, anti historic sh*te. Of course the GAA is important to people and broadly does good, but so does every sport, but it entirely ignores the conservative history and commercial present of the organisation. It genuinely reads like he was on his second bottle of wine and had tears in his eyes writing this guff

He was definitely drunk writing it, there was no attempt at coherence whatsoever

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

It's a beemer, a big one and does indeed have th reg plate ending in GAA. There was some awards night on in Dublin that night. I thought at the time it was a 5 series but I didn't check that too closely when I seen the reg plate.

young AntrimMan can verify (to a degree) as we were discussing a trip or something at the time.

Oh and no, he was sent on his way via East Wall Road, Poplar Row, Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra Road and onto the M1

Well that solves last night's shooting. Sham the boss man sending out Joe the hit man Brolly

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The window from my office looks onto that road Finty

Ye work in Banking by any chance?

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:08pm

Moving up the world Fintan Wink

Joe Brolly is an arsehole however, looking forward to Tyrone putting Derry to the sword and reading his nonsense the next morning.

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:58pm
Joe Brolly is a Tyrone man genetically.
I don't work in banking no. I work in sales.
The AMG ain't no thing....only cost 18k. Sterling.

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Moving up the world Fintan Wink

Joe Brolly is an arsehole however, looking forward to Tyrone putting Derry to the sword and reading his nonsense the next morning.

Why do you think Joe Brolly expects Derry to beat Tyrone or something?

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:59am
JB saying that the GAA modern core principles has turned into a free for all and is heading towards a EPL model.

People on here agree?

-------------

Posted By: Onyd
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

JB saying that the GAA modern core principles has turned into a free for all and is heading towards a EPL model.

People on here agree?
Joe Brolly is a great example of a great British education. Wordy and eloquent in the tradition of Chaucer and Wordsworth. Alas unlike those two he has nothing to actually say. No substance, which is the problem. He namedrops a few chaps, talks at length about kids and then makes a reductive point.

The GAA have always had a money grabbing leadership. He can witter on about what he believes their values are all day long. How much has he been paid to drone on and on about the erosion of their amateur ethos?

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:10am

People on here agree?
€40k a week for playing GF for Longford. I think not.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

People on here agree?

One could argue it's already there. A pair of amoral organisations who sold out to Sky with numerous rapists on board whose fans believe it is the one true sport and won't watch anything else and of course mostly hype with no substance.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Onyd Onyd wrote:

People on here agree?

One could argue it's already there. A pair of amoral organisations who sold out to Sky with numerous rapists on board whose fans believe it is the one true sport and won't watch anything else and of course mostly hype with no substance.

Not a Sky sales rep I'd imagine or have a gra for Native Irish passtimes?

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:23am

People on here agree?

I can already see that Onyd is a very rational contributor with lots of well thought out points...Wink

The one about the GAA having always had a "money grabbing leadership" was particularly well thought out, and in no way a vacuous cliche he heard in a pub.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:26am
LOL

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:41am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

People on here agree?

I can already see that Onyd is a very rational contributor with lots of well thought out points...Wink

The one about the GAA having always had a "money grabbing leadership" was particularly well thought out, and in no way a vacuous cliche he heard in a pub.

I don't know or care for these sports, but hasn't the Grab All Association moniker been around for donkeys old bean?

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:43am

People on here agree?

Not a Sky sales rep I'd imagine or have a gra for Native Irish passtimes?
Native Irish pastimes are cricket, rugby and footer. Hurling was dead and that ghastly Gaelic football is a boardroom designed monstrosity.

But I especially dislike hypocrisy from the British ruling elite. And Brolly is a hypocrite

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:45am

People on here agree?

I don't know or care for these sports, but hasn't the Grab All Association moniker been around for donkeys old bean?
Yes, it has been a vacuous pub cliche for as long as I have been alive and I'm sure for a good length of time before that. 

If I wanted to point you in the direction of the leadership of a major sporting body whose mentality is indeed to "money grab" and "grab all", look no further than the FAI. 

Whereas I'm unaware of any major GAA administrative figure who has used their position to feather their own nest in monetary terms.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:51am

People on here agree?

Yes, it has been a vacuous pub cliche for as long as I have been alive and I'm sure for a good length of time before that. 

If I wanted to point you in the direction of the leadership of a major sporting body whose mentality is indeed to "money grab" and "grab all", look no further than the FAI. 

Whereas I'm unaware of any major GAA administrative figure who has used their position to feather their own nest in monetary terms.

my god man, basic research

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/fas-officials-wages-to-cost-gaa-470000-in-three-years-26505472.html

When a football pundit comes out with such nauseating hypocrisy let's pull him on it. In the meantime let's stick with man of the people, boarding school educated queens council, Brolly.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:56am
Im not sure what point you're trying to make with that article.

He, like every other GAA president, will receive the salary he would have in his regular job. If he was on 30K a year thats what he'd get from the GAA.

Now, presidents of the GAA these days are usually from a decent professional background so the salary is reasonably high.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:59am

People on here agree?

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/fas-officials-wages-to-cost-gaa-470000-in-three-years-26505472.html

When a football pundit comes out with such nauseating hypocrisy let's pull him on it. In the meantime let's stick with man of the people, boarding school educated queens council, Brolly.
Basic research would have told you your little "point" completely backs up what I said.

The position of GAA president is a three year one and the occupant of the position does not gain monetarily from it - they continue to receive the same salary as they were receiving in their previous paid employment, which is entirely reimbursed to the employer by the GAA.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Im not sure what point you're trying to make with that article.

He, like every other GAA president, will receive the salary he would have in his regular job. If he was on 30K a year thats what he'd get from the GAA.

Now, presidents of the GAA these days are usually from a decent professional background so the salary is reasonably high.
Can you name any other sports body with a salaried President?

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:01am

People on here agree?

Basic research would have told you your little "point" completely backs up what I said.

The position of GAA president is a three year one and the occupant of the position does not gain monetarily from it - they continue to receive the same salary as they were receiving in their previous paid employment, which is entirely reimbursed to the employer by the GAA.
People in every other sport fulfil that role for free. You are talking nonsense man. Nonsense.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:53pm
Because it's usually an honorary part time role.

President of the GAA is a full time job and you have to give up your own job for the period.

You're not asking them to do it for nothing, you're asking them to do it for nothing, minus their normal salary.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:07pm
What does the president of FIFA get, anybody know?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:12pm

A lot of brown envelopes.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Because it's usually an honorary part time role.

President of the GAA is a full time job and you have to give up your own job for the period.

You're not asking them to do it for nothing, you're asking them to do it for nothing, minus their normal salary.
So in every other context the President does the role for free, because as you say it's honorary.

But the GAA pay their geeezer to do it because they aren't about money.

Right ho chaps.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:19pm

That is the CEO role thought, he runs the show. The GAA President does not.

But they aren't a hungry body. Heaven forbid they be held to account.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 6:08pm

Well said Joe.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/joe-brolly-conor-mcgregor-gig-for-gaza-580421" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/gaa/joe-brolly-conor-mcgregor-gig-for-gaza-580421

-------------

Posted By: oldbilly
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 7:10pm
indeed, DM. Joe is a staunch citizen, pity a lot more of our sports celebs don’t take the same stance.McGregor is a low life gurrier,  no manners, no class and no respect for his fellow citizens or indeed himself, a total wretch.

-------------
No Pasaran!

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

indeed, DM. Joe is a staunch citizen, pity a lot more of our sports celebs don’t take the same stance.McGregor is a low life gurrier,  no manners, no class and no respect for his fellow citizens or indeed himself, a total wretch.

Spot on.

Not bothered by his takes on GAA but Brolly's articles were pretty good on both political and non-political issues. 

-------------

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 9:38pm
Did anyone see the video of him in the nightclub?

Love brolly. Rte gaa coverage died a death when they booted him off in favour of Joanne.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net