URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=40652
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 7:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Alex Pearce
Posted By: gwhite
Subject: Alex Pearce
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 8:34am
Has declared for us.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11673/7290594/Pearce-eyes-Republic-call - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11673/7290594/Pearce-eyes-Republic-call

Replies:
Posted By: MJD
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 8:35am
Apparently Alex Pearce declared for us too!! Tongue

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 8:39am

Reading defender Alex Pearce has revealed he is ready to pledge his allegiance to the Republic of Ireland.

The 22-year-old, who has been an ever-present for Reading this season, has established himself as one of the best young central defenders outside the Premier League with a number of commanding performances for the Royals.

http://topics.skysports.com/Alex+Pearce/?section=football - Pearce is thought to be on Giovanni Trapattoni's radar as he looks to bring new players into the fold and the Italian is thought to have watched him in action in last month's draw at http://topics.skysports.com/Crystal+Palace/?section=football - Crystal Palace.

Pearce, who has represented Scotland's Under 21s, admits he plans to pledge his allegiance to the Republic and that he would jump at the chance of a call-up.

"I heard Trapattoni was at the Crystal Palace game and it is flattering to hear he may have been watching me," Pearce told skysports.com.

"I was obviously pleased I had a good performance and we kept a clean sheet.

Privilege

"If I got a call-up for the http://topics.skysports.com/Republic+of+Ireland/?section=football - Republic of Ireland it would be a privilege.

"I actually played for Republic of Ireland Under 14s in a tournament and then I played one game for Scotland's Under 21s, but then it fizzled out.

"I am eligible for Ireland through my grandmother and if I had the choice I would play for the Republic of Ireland.

"I would love to play for the Republic of Ireland and it would be a dream come true for me and my family to play for them.

"If I was to get a call-up I would look to grab the opportunity with both hands and do my best to impress.

"But my main focus is on doing my job for Reading and we will see what happens in the future."

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 8:45am
some timing!, he might think he has a chance to sneaking into the squad ofr euros (if we get there)

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 8:53am

Is he decent??? I've never heard of him.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: kevjreilly
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 8:56am
Seen him on football league show a few times and seems decent, but never watched a full 90mins.
The more the merrier, we have seen in the past few days how with a few injuries we can see that cover is badly needed

-------------
Read it 3 times before posting

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

some timing!, he might think he has a chance to sneaking into the squad ofr euros (if we get there)

In fairness, he has been talking about declaring for a while now

http://greenscene.me/2011/05/alex-pearce-wants-to-play-for-ireland/ - http://greenscene.me/2011/05/alex-pearce-wants-to-play-for-ireland/

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 9:36am

Another chap for the Scots to get in a tizzy about!

Posted By: gwhite
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 9:44am
In fairness, he has been talking about declaring for a while now
[/QUOTE]
That's true actually. I wonder if we make it will we see any concerted campaigns from Stearman & Pennant or an about-face from O'Hara etc to get in the squad...

Posted By: Absolutely Use
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 3:19pm
With St Ledger not 1st choice at club level, the likes of Pearse may be worth a look at.

-------------
Say nothing till you hear more

Posted By: devondudley
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 3:29pm
if he is so good how come the scots have never given him a senior run out, they have the caldwell sisters but after that they aint blessed with the most talented players(like us) the carling nations the scots had a few injuries and he never made the squads, glad he declared just wondering has he turned down scotlands advances or just changing to us cause he cant get in the scotland squad

-------------
But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 3:36pm
We aren't blessed with a wealth of centre halves and its hard to see who's going to step up to the mantle once Dunne's career ends - very few young players coming through. But this fella, chancing his arm a week before a playoff. And as dudley says, if he's any use he'd have no bother getting in the Scottish squad.

Posted By: sonofakeano
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 4:23am
Give the lad a chance. He has said it will be an honour for him and his family if he gets called up for Ireland. Thats the sort of man we want to be wearing the jersey. I'm delighted he has decided to declare for us

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 4:29am
We have a real issue at Centre Half going forward and we need to explore all options available. If you take a look back at the last U-21 campaign, the players we used at Centre Half haven't exactly excelled since.

I am closer an international call up both Callum Morris and Darren Dennehy

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 4:45am
Don't care who we cap as long as the can offer us something

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:58pm
Pearce has been named player of the month in the Championship for December.

-------------

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:09pm
Yeah he is very solid, only 23. 

Mother is scottish and father is irish, and eventhough he played twice for scotland's u21 he has said his loyalty lies with Ireland. 

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Absolutely Use Absolutely Use wrote:

Pearce has been named player of the month in the Championship for December.

Good stuff Clap

No need to fast track him into the squad if he is loyal to Ireland , baring major injuries to the defense prior to the Euro's i feel we should wait until after the tournament and give the likes of Pierce a chance to prove themselves....

But yes any new options are welcome.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:24pm
Pearce has changed a lot of opinions at Reading.

-------------

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 1:04am
what do u mean changed opinions? 

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 10:32am
Last season and at the start of the season some fans that that he was a bit of a liability when he was playing, he rearly had the same defensive partner when he was playing. They shipped a few goals and Pearce was said to be one of the main reasons. He now has a settled defensive partner and the team has kept a number of clean sheets.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 5:17pm
Reading Player of the Season. 

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2751826,00.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2751826,00.html

Should be looked at if Trapattoni is doing his job right

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:50pm
Delighted he'll be playing in the EPL next season we need as many Irish lads playing in the top flight and given that we're very light in decent options at centre half Trap should really look at capping him after the Euros.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:52pm
Well done Alex Clap, he could be soon challenging sledge for a spot :) 

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Well done Alex Clap, he could be soon challenging sledge for a spot :) 

agreed. like sledge and hes always been dependable for us but i think his spot is where we could definitely improve given the talent we have- clark, o'shea, pearce, duffy can all play in the middle along side dunne

Date Posted: 01 May 2012 at 1:31pm
23 year's of age , a centre half (a position we are short on options) , he's EPL bound and has played every game of Readings title winning campaign along with winning the player of the year award at the club Clap

For me it's a yes please , i hope Trap caps him after the Euros and see what he's made of!

-------------

Posted By: rainpaulo
Date Posted: 01 May 2012 at 1:46pm
Yeah...I'm of the opinion that everyone that shows a bit of quality should be looked in training camps or friendly games..we have to small a player pool to choose from to turn people who show a genuine interest away.

Date Posted: 01 May 2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Yeah...I'm of the opinion that everyone that shows a bit of quality should be looked in training camps or friendly games..we have to small a player pool to choose from to turn people who show a genuine interest away.

Wilson , Clark , Coleman , Best , Duffy , Pearce , Meyler , Mason , Stokes etc etc are all going to be left at home which shows we have some genuine quality players in reserve so we should capitalize on that , our next friendly after the Euro's against China (possibly) is an ideal fixture to blood some of these lads in! The more competition for places even on the fringes of the squad will make us stronger.

-------------

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 01 May 2012 at 3:27pm
I think he will be looked at after the summer. He should be anyway given that he will be playing in the PL. Certainly if our current back up CB o'dea struggles to find a decent club in the summer.

Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 2:08am

Pearce eyes Trap's call

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/pearce-eyes-traps-call-3101980.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/pearce-eyes-traps-call-3101980.html

Posted By: Boston Hoop
Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 2:33am
Has to be a good thing that we're on the top of people's agendas... not everyone is as positive about Int''l football. 

Posted By: Godot
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 12:16pm
He nailed his colours to our mast months ago...  did Trap give a reason for not selecting him for the Serbia game?

Posted By: bear
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 2:46pm
Maybe he is not good enough.

-------------
"You cannot afford to rely on history, you have to make it" - Martin O'Neill

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 3:05pm
Wasn't he in the championship team of the year and every week at the same level as Ward...Sleadge....McShane.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by rainpaulo rainpaulo wrote:

Wasn't he in the championship team of the year and every week at the same level as Ward...Sleadge....McShane.

Wrong.

Ward played in the EPL the past 3 seasons.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 9:26pm
And McShane was once a Utd player ffs....Ward is a championship player now that's what i meant....there playing at same level.

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 9:48pm
For 2 years you were bitching about l
Kevin kilbane at left back and you have been slaughtering ward since. Pearce is not listed on paper today as being Irish .

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

For 2 years you were bitching about l
Kevin kilbane at left back and you have been slaughtering ward since. Pearce is not listed on paper today as being Irish .

Kilbane is a legend...but he was a disaster a fb....I called for Ward to be tried because he was playing EPL football and was 10 years his junior....he to turned out to be sh*te but worth trying he now needs to look elsewhere.

Pearce if I'm not mistaken qualifies for Ireland and has said it Irealnd for him all the way.

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 10:03pm
Well he is not Irish yet !!

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: Godot
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 10:13pm

"I am eligible for Ireland through my grandmother and if I had the choice I would play for the Republic of Ireland.

"I would love to play for the Republic of Ireland and it would be a dream come true for me and my family to play for them.

"If I was to get a call-up I would look to grab the opportunity with both hands and do my best to impress"

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Godot Godot wrote:

"If I was to get a call-up I would look to grab the opportunity with both hands and do my best to impress"

Countless player's have said "they would love to play for Ireland" .

Has he actually got his papers and has he officially declared though!

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 11:15am
Hardly new news but nice to see Alex come out again and pin his colours to the mast :

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/pearce-ireland-030912-349040.aspx

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 2:48pm
Irish eyes check out defender Pearce

ALEX Pearce is one step closer to fulfilling his international dream following an approach from the Republic of Ireland.

The 23-year-old defender confirmed he has been contact by Giovanni Trapattoni's representatives with a view to representing the country of his grandmother's birth.

But Pearce is not celebrating the news just yet while UEFA investigate his footballing background.

Pearce played at Under-14 level for the Republic of Ireland in a tournament, but then accepted an invite to represent Scotland Under 21s in a friendly a few years ago.

UEFA will now check out the possibility of Pearce switching allegiances to the Republic of Ireland, though they are unlikely to block the move.

The Reading defender revealed: "I qualify for Ireland through my dad's side as my grandmother was born in Dublin.

"They've been in touch so they're interested.

"We're trying to get that moving along and if it happens it will be fantastic. It will be a dream come true to play for Ireland."

And he added: "I was lucky enough to represent them once in a tournament when I was 14 so I've got an affiliation with them already.

"Hopefully we can push this forward so I have an opportunity to show Ireland what I can do."

Pearce played every minute of every league game for Reading last season and his performances in Brian McDermott's title-winning side earned him the coveted, Chronicle-sponsored Player of the Year award.

His performances alerted Irish boss Trapattoni who sent scouts to keep a close eye on the Royals Academy graduate.

"I spoke to Ireland's assistant manager Alan Kelly on the phone. He said they were interested and were trying to sort out the regulations.

"Because I played for Scotland Under 21s in a friendly people think I'm Scottish, but it was a friendly so I'm not tied down to them.

"Ireland are now trying to get confirmation of that from Scotland to clarify I haven't played a competitive match for them.

"It's a bit of a long-winded process but I think they like me and hopefully we can sort it out quickly."

With the likes of 32-year-old Ireland defender Richard Dunne approaching the twilight of their careers, Pearce also believes he could have a long international career ahead of him.

"Ireland have some great players but there are a couple who maybe are coming to the end of their careers and thinking of retirement.

"I'd just like an opportunity to join up with a squad, pull the jersey on and hopefully impress the manager.

"There's no timescale. Ireland just want me to be aware of what's happening and hopefully they can push the issue forward now."

Meanwhile, Pearce and the rest of the Reading squad will have this weekend off before they return to Premier League action on Sunday, September 16 when they host Tottenham Hotspur at Madejski Stadium (4pm ko, live Sky Sports).

Spurs are yet to win in three league matches this season and Pearce believes it is a good time to play Andre Villas-Boas' side which is likely to contain former Reading star Gylfi Sigurdsson.

"Spurs haven't been in the best form and any team coming to Madejski Stadium will get a tough game," he suggested.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/articles/2012/09/07/62476-irish-eyes-check-out-defender-pearce/" rel="nofollow - http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/articles/2012/09/07/62476-irish-eyes-check-out-defender-pearce/

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 7:29pm
Called into the Ireland squad for the Oman game.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 7:29pm
Great news

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 7:34pm
Is he starting for Reading? No very little about the lad.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Glad to hear it , now Alex if given the chance step up and take it Thumbs Up

-------------

https://twitter.com/Ciaran_O/status/244500913224548352" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/Ciaran_O/status/244500913224548352
Alex Pearce ( @ReadingFC ) and Robbie Brady #MUFC called into Ireland squad.

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 7:38pm
Good luck Alex, boy will you need it joining the mad house!!

Posted By: connordonegal
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 7:58pm
good news but ciaran clark should be called up aswell

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 8:15pm
Congrats. Shocked by the news, but in a good way. I kept an eye on him before in the same way I did pilkington, not sure whether to truly get behind him cause not sure if he would ever play for us. But now He'a in he has me full support. Looks like he could be a valuable squad member

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by connordonegal connordonegal wrote:

good news but ciaran clark should be called up aswell

I am starting to believe those rumours that there was a disaplinary issue with trap may have some legs

Posted By: Garak
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:03am
via Reading:

Irish call for Pearce

Royals defender Alex Pearce has received his first call-up to the senior Irish squad for their friendly against Oman in London on Tuesday night.

The 23-year-old came through our Academy to be named player of the season as we won the npower Championship last season, and has performed well in both of our Barclays Premier League games this season, more than holding his own against the likes of Peter Crouch and Fernando Torres. He has not missed a minute of League football for the Royals in almost 13 months now.

Alex played for Ireland at u14s level alongside players such as Anthony Stokes, and although he later represented Scotland at u21s level, he said last month that Ireland was always his preferred international option because of his family's roots in the Emerald Isle.

This call-up is a major step for the centre half and the club would like to congratulate him on being selected. If he plays in an Ireland shirt he will become another of our Academy players to make the international stages alongside the likes of Simon Church, Hal Robson-Kanu, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Simon Cox and more besides.

Thumbs Up

Posted By: Dunne23
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:37am
Really happy about this! He was in the championship team of the year last season, now a regular PL starter and he's only 23 as well Thumbs Up

Posted By: Ndforest
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 3:48pm
Great news , his father is from Ireland so not a plastic paddy and we really need a quality centre half much better player than st ledger GREAT option to play alongside the honey monster

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 5:48pm
Looked an excellent player today in training shouting instructions to his fellow defenders , I like this fella already

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:16pm
more good news , hopefully he gets minutes v Oman

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:33pm
Might as well give him a good run out....won't be another friendly for a while.

Posted By: fochie
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 9:12am
Read yesterday that Pearce couldnt agree terms with Reading at the start of the season
and hasnt kicked a ball since,
Apparently Brendan Rodgers has had him as a player and rates him highly.
LFC have had a bid turned down for him and are ready to go after him again in January.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 9:37am
Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

Read yesterday that Pearce couldnt agree terms with Reading at the start of the season
and hasnt kicked a ball since,
Apparently Brendan Rodgers has had him as a player and rates him highly.
LFC have had a bid turned down for him and are ready to go after him again in January.

yeah a liverpool mate of mine said the rumours are that he wil go to liverpool in jan , delighted that rodgers rates him ,

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 9:41am
Very good article there on this issue. Worth a read. Hope it is pisted properly as on phone.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/11/8/3612484/has-alex-pearce-played-his-final-game-for-reading-fc" rel="nofollow - http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/11/8/3612484/has-alex-pearce-played-his-final-game-for-reading-fc

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 9:43am
He ll be following james mccarthy to anfield then will he?

Ill believe it when i see it

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:10am
Alex Pearce to Liverpool is to replace Jamie Carragher - so he will be 4th choice centre half.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:17am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Alex Pearce to Liverpool is to replace Jamie Carragher - so he will be 4th choice centre half.

He cant be any worse than the other 3 tbh

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

He cant be any worse than the other 3 tbh

Confused

Agger and Skrtl are very good players, and so is Coates for that matter.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:33am
Skrtel is a walking time bomb. Agger is not much better and Coates has been a shocking waste of money since he arrived. It was tongue in cheek though but the way you're going on they are untouchable. . All 3 are average to below average an it wouldnt take a great CB to displace them.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:40am
I'd be surprised if he joined Liverpool tbh , if he moves he'll probably end up at one of the Championships spenders i.e. Cardiff , Hull or Leicester or some team like that.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:47am
if you click into the ups and downs of alex pearce article you can see that rodgers was full of praise for him

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:59am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

if you click into the ups and downs of alex pearce article you can see that rodgers was full of praise for him

Rodgers priority is 1 if not 2 strikers , i've no idea what sort of fund's he'll get in January either so this will come into play imo. 

Still it'll be a case of "watch this space" when the transfer window re-opens.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 11:21am

Skrtel is a walking time bomb. Agger is not much better and Coates has been a shocking waste of money since he arrived. It was tongue in cheek though but the way you're going on they are untouchable. . All 3 are average to below average an it wouldnt take a great CB to displace them.

Disagree with pretty much everything you say there to be honest.

Liverpool had the 3rd best defense last year which is pretty good considering the disastrous league campaign they had. Agger and Skrtel were at the heart of that defense.

Also City the league champions had a number of bids turned down for Agger.

Anyway this thread is about Pearse who I doubt will end up at Liverpool.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 11:27am

100% - Skrtel is awful and every time I see him play I'm just waiting for the blunder and most of the time he makes one.
Coates will never make it in English football
Agger is decent but not a starter for a top 6 side in my view

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 11:57am
aggar is a great player , have never been convinced by skrtl

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 1:11pm

Liverpool had the 3rd best defense last year which is pretty good considering the disastrous league campaign they had. Agger and Skrtel were at the heart of that defense.

Even Villa have a better defensive record this seasonWink Anyway stats can be deceiving. Stephen Ward was part of an Irish defence that conceded 2 goals in 11 matches last year... The point is a half decent CB wouldnt be out of his depth at Liverpool IMO, and who knows Pearce could pall into that category

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:18pm
Skrtel and Agger are very good defenders. I think both suffer without the other though. Not sure if sorrel has the ball skills for Rodgers passing game either. But he is very solid. Better last season than this though.

I don't know how much truth is in the Pearce rumour. I haven't seen much of him but you would think he would be a squad player if signed.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 1:14pm

The irony is a lasd you don't rate at all (Shane long ) made mince meat out of them on the opening day. Agger is possibly the most over-rated centre half around

-------------

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 2:11pm
In fairness Citizen i don't think anyone on here doesn't rate Long?  If that's what your getting at.

-------------

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 2:40pm
Agree Agger is seriously overrated. He gets found out all the time and when he comes up against pace and power he especially gets torn to pieces.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 3:10pm

The irony is a lasd you don't rate at all (Shane long ) made mince meat out of them on the opening day. Agger is possibly the most over-rated centre half around

Wrong again.

I have said a number of times that Long is our number one striker.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 8:07pm
so he isnt in the top 3 reading centre backs, but, according to some on here, would be one of liverpool top 3 centre backs, laughable logic LOL

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

so he isnt in the top 3 reading centre backs, but, according to some on here, would be one of liverpool top 3 centre backs, laughable logic LOL

Nobody said that.

But it appears its more than footballing reasons keeping him out of the side. 

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 8:55pm
He is in dispute with Reading about his contract....he will leave in Jan.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 5:18pm

Wrong again.

I have said a number of times that Long is our number one striker.

Only in the last while you have.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 9:10pm
On a positive note Pearce has been playing from the start tonight, due to Morrisson being ruled out.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 10:15am
Needs a move imo, Think its gone a bit sour for him at reading.

Posted By: connordonegal
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 5:21pm
called up to squad to replace darren o'dea

Posted By: CSCD
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 6:42pm
He is better than O'Dea and should've been in the squad in the first place.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 8:03pm
Liked the look of him at the traing session in Wimbledon that time

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 2:18am
Glad to hear he's been called up, hope he gets a run Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Glad to hear he's been called up, hope he gets a run Thumbs Up

+1

Posted By: musicinmouth
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 6:16pm
Sorry, that didn't paste well:

READING REBEL ALEX PEARCE CLOSING IN ON LIVERPOOL SWITCH

ABOVE: Alex Pearce could be playing in red in the summer West Brom and Norwich are also keen but the Republic of Ireland defender would jump at the chance of a move to Anfield.

1st March 2013 By Jon West

READING defender Alex Pearce is closing in on a switch to Liverpool.

Pearce, 24, is out of contract in the summer and played under Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers in 2009.

The Kop chief needs to replace retirement-bound Jamie Carragher, and Pearce would not cost a penny.

West Brom and Norwich are also keen but the Republic of Ireland defender would jump at the chance of a move to Anfield.

Royals manager Brian McDermott knows the chances of keeping him are slim.

McDermott, who dropped Pearce after a poor display in the 2-1 defeat at Stoke on February 9, said: “We will see where he will be in the summer. At this moment in time nothing looks to be signed.”

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 6:23pm
Bullsh*t article from the daily star.....not even a quote worth mentioning.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 6:29pm
The Star would be the last paper Id give credence to. By far the worst tabloid around

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 6:40pm
I'd rather see Pearce go to WBA/Norwich or stay at Reading instead of going to Liverpool tbh, i can't see him being a regular at Anfield! 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 8:40pm
He worked under Rodgers before -
Rodgers is also looking to bring in 2 if not 3 central defenders.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 8:45pm

He worked under Rodgers before -
Rodgers is also looking to bring in 2 if not 3 central defenders.

That sounds like the logic the daily star used as well.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 8:50pm
Carragher is retiring.
Coates - Rodgers just won't really give him a chance and he will be shipped out.
Skyrtel - just had a run in with Rodgers and will end up being sold to a club in Russia.

Teamtealk also reported this story a couple of days ago too.

Peace worked under Rodgers before, probably at Reading.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 8:55pm

Carragher is retiring.
Coates - Rodgers just won't really give him a chance and he will be shipped out.
Skyrtel - just had a run in with Rodgers and will end up being sold to a club in Russia.

Do you think he's good enough to start?

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 8:55pm
Never said it won't happen just there is no evidence in the article that he is going to Liverpool.

It would be a great move for him.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2013 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Carragher is retiring.

As I said a few months ago on the original Pearce thread, he shouldnt be sniffed at. The other centre halves are woeful. HB disagreed with me completely at the time. He cant be much worse than Skrtel.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 11:37am

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Carragher is retiring.

As I said a few months ago on the original Pearce thread, he shouldnt be sniffed at. The other centre halves are woeful. HB disagreed with me completely at the time. He cant be much worse than Skrtel.

BUMP. Deal looks like it will happen according to papers this morning. Pearce told Reading that he wont be signing a new deal

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net