URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=38103
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:07pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: John Joe Patrick Finn
Posted By: BaileNuisBhoy
Subject: John Joe Patrick Finn
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:15am
An 8 year-old with a Mayo dad has just been signed by Real Madrid

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/real-madrids-latest-big-signing-comes-from-mayo-0024190-1" rel="nofollow - http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/real-madrids-latest-big-signing-comes-from-mayo-0024190-1

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4291721/Meet-the-Mayo-boy-signed-up-to-play-for-Real-Madrid.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4291721/Meet-the-Mayo-boy-signed-up-to-play-for-Real-Madrid.html

-------------
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!

Replies:
Posted By: Catman
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:53am
"John Joe, whose mum Odetta is a former international catwalk model from Cameroon, was born in Spain but is very proud of his Irish roots."

Build that dad a statue. Kudos.

-------------

The sequence now is, should he miss this, and Ireland's next penalty is scored, then the match and the progress are Ireland's....Timofte against Bonner..

Posted By: heyirish
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:07am
he should be on the plane in june

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:18am
Originally posted by heyirish heyirish wrote:

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: mccarticus
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:36am
if this kid turns out to be any us theres little chance he'll turn out for us...spain cameroon and ireland eligible...prob be 3rd choice

-------------
Sheedy wins it back, Sheedy shoots....

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:08am

I can't understand why he isn't in traps thoughts. Surely he'll be on stand by at least. Why can't trap be most positive

Posted By: heyirish
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by mccarticus mccarticus wrote:

if this kid turns out to be any us theres little chance he'll turn out for us...spain cameroon and ireland eligible...prob be 3rd choice

all the more reason to cap him now

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:30am
Move over McClean! theres a new kid in town!

The public clamour for him to be capped against Bosnia will be massive!

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Posted By: greengiant
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:38am
We should all chip in and get the kid something for xmas!!...an Irish jersey with his name on it!!....might turn him in our direction!..in fairness the only thing that might turn his head is our support!!

-------------
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:53am
Must be a traveller .

No citizen of Spain or Cameroon in their right might would call their young fella John joe

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Dunne23
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:03am

LOL

Posted By: Trapcandoit
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:10am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Must be a traveller .

No citizen of Spain or Cameroon in their right might would call their young fella John joe

Come off it ffs man.  Has some idiot hacked into your account or something?  

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:16am
Just because he signed with Madrid underage doesn't mean he will turn out to be any good. Wonder will this thread still be going in 10 years time?

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Just because he signed with Madrid underage doesn't mean he will turn out to be any good. Wonder will this thread still be going in 10 years time?

He's going to better than messi. We need to get him capped and quick!!!

Posted By: mccarticus
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:19pm
i hear messi wears a john joe patrick finn jersey to bed

-------------
Sheedy wins it back, Sheedy shoots....

Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

We should all chip in and get the kid something for xmas!!...an Irish jersey with his name on it!!....might turn him in our direction!..in fairness the only thing that might turn his head is our support!!
 Good thinking GreengiantClap  Or maybe a pair of Ireland soccer boots like Robbie Keane got for his kid last Xmas.. Anyone else got any thoughts/ideas on this?

[Edit:  Not anything over-the-top that will put undue and innapropriate pressure on the kid such as a big fanfair waiting once he gets off the next plane or anything.  Just something as a small token or gesture (bribe evenLOL).]
[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]   

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 3:35pm
Are ye for real? Sweet jesus LOL

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

Are ye for real? Sweet jesus LOL

Sure how much will it cost when he's at Ronaldo's level?? JaysisTongue

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:05pm
It's a disgrace that Green and McShane  could be going to the euros and we leave our best players like McCarthy and John Joe Patrick at home

Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:17pm
  Gah! You know Trap's reluctance when it comes to these flashy players..

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:36pm
That child will need to get a haircut first, one fckn Marcelo at Real Madrid is enough.

He'll be playing for Castlebar Celtic in ten years time when the job situation improves in Mayo. Mark can teach him how to take a throw-in.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

That child will need to get a haircut first, one fckn Marcelo at Real Madrid is enough.

He'll be playing for Castlebar Celtic in ten years time when the job situation improves in Mayo. Mark can teach him how to take a throw-in.
Clap

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:57pm
Would be great having an irish footballer come true the ranks at real but see what happens.
Have to say lads some real funny posts here, was in knots laughin especally messi wearin john joe shirt to bed deadly stuff

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Must be a traveller .

LOL

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 6:05am
time to get this thread back where it belongs. Come home John joe

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 6:58pm
The man himself speaks! 

https://www.getafecf.com/Noticia/tabid/137/Article/7194/J-Patrick-Fue-una-alegria-inmensa.aspx" rel="nofollow - https://www.getafecf.com/Noticia/tabid/137/Article/7194/J-Patrick-Fue-una-alegria-inmensa.aspx

No ideas what he’s saying.

Getafe have a game tomorrow v Sevilla and have 3 players suspended. Could get a look in.

They haven’t won in at least five games, which makes me think he has a chance to step in and do something and win a spot. Fingers crossed 

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

The man himself speaks! 

https://www.getafecf.com/Noticia/tabid/137/Article/7194/J-Patrick-Fue-una-alegria-inmensa.aspx" rel="nofollow - https://www.getafecf.com/Noticia/tabid/137/Article/7194/J-Patrick-Fue-una-alegria-inmensa.aspx

Getafe have a game tomorrow v Sevilla and have 3 players suspended. Could get a look in.

They haven’t won in at least five games, which makes me think he has a chance to step in and do something and win a spot. Fingers crossed 

Nothing that interesting.

"When I went to jump onto the pitch, the first flash that came to me was the illusion that I was going to do to my mother, who would be very happy watching the game surely, and then she told me that she even cried ”.

Doesn't mention anything about his father, who is deceased according to the research of other posters.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The man himself speaks! 

Nothing that interesting.

"When I went to jump onto the pitch, the first flash that came to me was the illusion that I was going to do to my mother, who would be very happy watching the game surely, and then she told me that she even cried ”.

Doesn't mention anything about his father, who is deceased according to the research of other posters.

Calm down, Dr Buzzkill. LOL

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 2:57pm
On the bench for getafe vs savile today. Ryan Nolan also on the bench.

Very positive 

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 3:30pm
Get in there. I’ve always been a big fan of the (google..) azulones.

I’m seeing him listed as JJP Finn now

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 5:12pm
No idea why he has his own thread in this section when he's Spanish-born, eligible for several countries, hasn't represented us at any level, and hasn't made any public declarations about playing for us.

But anyways, he's made his 2nd appearance of the season as an 87th minute sub this afternoon.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 5:20pm

No idea why he has his own thread in this section when he's Spanish-born, eligible for several countries, hasn't represented us at any level, and hasn't made any public declarations about playing for us.

But anyways, he's made his 2nd appearance of the season as an 87th minute sub this afternoon.

Sure why not, not causing any harm and people want to discuss him

Posted By: Four-Four-Two
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 5:24pm
he is not of the pure irish spirit hoolihan needs , i think maybe he wore a spanish top once so there is no way he could be irish

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Sure why not, not causing any harm and people want to discuss him

I know but why is Patrick Bamford's thread in the ROTW section if that's the case?

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 5:32pm
brilliant to see a young irish man playing in la liga anyway , ryan nolan on the bench again today as well

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 6:46pm
John Joe featured in the City Tribune yesterday

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:03pm
I see Transfermarkt lists his citizenship as English and Spanish.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/john-finn/profil/spieler/841121" rel="nofollow - http://www.transfermarkt.com/john-finn/profil/spieler/841121

Shocked

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:18pm

I see Transfermarkt lists his citizenship as English and Spanish.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/john-finn/profil/spieler/841121" rel="nofollow - http://www.transfermarkt.com/john-finn/profil/spieler/841121

Shocked

That was an error I’ve seen elsewhere - on ESPN, for example. Transfermarkt not reliable at the best of times 

-------------

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

brilliant to see a young irish man playing in la liga anyway , ryan nolan on the bench again today as well

Is there anything in particular to suggest that he wants to play for us. He seems to have four options and I wouldn't be surprised if we're his last choice out of those.

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:58pm
well his father is from mayo. I hear his father is deceased but you’d imagine he’d have some allegiance to Ireland . Is his mother African??

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

well his father is from mayo. I hear his father is deceased but you’d imagine he’d have some allegiance to Ireland . Is his mother African??

The mother is French Cameroonian. Spain is his native country. His father is Irish. If I understand correctly, he could play for four countries despite some clownish assertions to the contrary about what a complete stranger to us identifies as.

Michael Obafemi was born in Dublin to Nigerian parents and moved to England as a baby. He plays for us. So it's jumping the gun to completely discount the idea of this fella wanting to play for Spain.

He also sounds very close to his mother going by comments he made to the media, in which case he could identify more strongly with his French or Cameroonian roots.

It's all speculation until he starts regularly enough or shows enough form to warrant selection at Intl level. The FAI are aware of him anyways.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 8:54pm
I'm told his oul' fella is from down the road from me - about six stone's throws from Terryland Park

John Joe for United

-------------

Posted By: avfc
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:05pm

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

The mother is French Cameroonian. Spain is his native country. His father is Irish. If I understand correctly, he could play for four countries despite some clownish assertions to the contrary about what a complete stranger to us identifies as.

Michael Obafemi was born in Dublin to Nigerian parents and moved to England as a baby. He plays for us. So it's jumping the gun to completely discount the idea of this fella wanting to play for Spain.

He also sounds very close to his mother going by comments he made to the media, in which case he could identify more strongly with his French or Cameroonian roots.

It's all speculation until he starts regularly enough or shows enough form to warrant selection at Intl level. The FAI are aware of him anyways.

Cameroon would be a good choice. Good chance of getting to World Cup. 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:18pm
Whats Spanish for don't call me I'll call you or i just want to concentrate on my club football for now

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:29pm
Solo quiero concentrarme en el fútbol de mi club por ahora.

Sería demasiado vergonzoso jugar al fútbol con Jeff Hendrick.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:30pm
Bonjour 😂

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Whats Spanish for don't call me I'll call you or i just want to concentrate on my club football for now
Getafe uck

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Getafe uck

LOLClap

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:49pm
to be fair our international honours and Spain’s are practically  identical if you ignore their 2EC and 1 WC over a 12 year period 

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:59am

The man himself speaks! 

<p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica;"> https://www.getafecf.com/Noticia/tabid/137/Article/7194/J-Patrick-Fue-una-alegria-inmensa.aspx" rel="nofollow - https://www.getafecf.com/Noticia/tabid/137/Article/7194/J-Patrick-Fue-una-alegria-inmensa.aspx

<p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica;">

<p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica;">No ideas what he’s saying.

<p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica;">

<p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica;">Getafe have a game tomorrow v Sevilla and have 3 players suspended. Could get a look in.

<p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; font-family: Helvetica;">They haven’t won in at least five games, which makes me think he has a chance to step in and do something and win a spot. Fingers crossed 

Listening to that I conclude he's never playing for Ireland and I have not idea what he's saying either............just a gut feeling

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:50pm
Dont know what site I read it on in the last few weeks but apparently this kid was deemed not good enough for trials or had trials and was then deemed not good enough by the FAI in recent years for underage squads, this would suggest he is intrested in playing for us anyway at least.

Also he was photographed with his younger bro at a football event down the West 2 year ago so I would say his links to this country are fairly strong, most of the Spanish underage squads are made up from players from the big clubs not lads playing for Getafe so I would be surprised if he dosent line out for us on the near future.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 4:55pm
Watched the last few minutes of this kid in Getafe v Sevilla. Not much to report other than he’s tall and a bit leggy. Looks like he will mature well physically. Had some pace but didn’t seem lightening quick. 

He lined up on the right side of midfield. Had a couple of nice moments and a mistake 

You can find it online if you look

-------------

Posted By: RobsYourUncle
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 10:17am
Getafe are away to 4th tier Anaitasuna in the Copa del Rey at 6pm today, any chance of one or both of Finn/Nolan getting a start?

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 10:59am
Finn is in the squad, but not Nolan: https://twitter.com/GetafeCF/statuses/1339188853274501120" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/GetafeCF/statuses/1339188853274501120

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Finn is in the squad, but not Nolan: https://twitter.com/GetafeCF/statuses/1339188853274501120" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/GetafeCF/statuses/1339188853274501120

Nolan has just torn his cruciate ligament  Cry There's never a good time for that to happen but it particularly cruel for him. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: RobsYourUncle
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 6:49pm
He's been very quiet 1st half but its been a very scrappy game so far, the pitch is in a complete jocker. 

Posted By: theworm2345
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 7:54pm
Wasn't giving the match all my attention, but kept an eye on it.  Finn played on the left wing in a 4-4-2 in the first half, though had a penchant for moving inside.  Looked after the ball very well, hardly ever gave it away, and was involved quite a bit.  Bit taller than I expected as well, though wasn't able to judge his aerial ability.  Didn't see him cross the ball very much, though that didn't appear to be the intention.  Moved to a more central striking role at half time, then back in to central midfield role on the hour after Getafe went 1-0 down.  Didn't impress in the second half, though none of the Getafe players did.  The match was played against a fourth tier team on a pitch that would make the worst LOI First Division pitch look like a bowling green.  Don't know much about the Spanish fourth tier, but I know a Galway United castoff(?) plays there now as well as a few Dominican Republic internationals.

-------------
http://www.globalsportsarchive.com/competitions/soccer/" rel="nofollow - League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 3:35pm
With Spain Under 17s apparently :

https://mobile.twitter.com/mcdonnelldan/status/1339678071318859777?ref_url=https%3a%2f%2ffoot.ie%2fthreads%2f262548-john-joe-patrick-finn-m-getafe-b-2003-%2fpage2" rel="nofollow - https://mobile.twitter.com/mcdonnelldan/status/1339678071318859777?ref_url=https%3a%2f%2ffoot.ie%2fthreads%2f262548-john-joe-patrick-finn-m-getafe-b-2003-%2fpage2

-------------

Posted By: gmfc90
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by theworm2345 theworm2345 wrote:

Wasn't giving the match all my attention, but kept an eye on it.  Finn played on the left wing in a 4-4-2 in the first half, though had a penchant for moving inside.  Looked after the ball very well, hardly ever gave it away, and was involved quite a bit.  Bit taller than I expected as well, though wasn't able to judge his aerial ability.  Didn't see him cross the ball very much, though that didn't appear to be the intention.  Moved to a more central striking role at half time, then back in to central midfield role on the hour after Getafe went 1-0 down.  Didn't impress in the second half, though none of the Getafe players did.  The match was played against a fourth tier team on a pitch that would make the worst LOI First Division pitch look like a bowling green.  Don't know much about the Spanish fourth tier, but I know a Galway United castoff(?) plays there now as well as a few Dominican Republic internationals.

Spanish fourth tier is the equivalent of the united churches league.

-------------
Danger here, OH NO

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 10:21am
So, as expected, not Irish as things stand and we'll probably only see him in green if his club career doesn't go as well as hoped.

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 10:43am
Some nonsense here.
A lad is just about getting minutes for a weaker top-tier Spanish team and there's talk he won't play for us but will play for Spain etc.

He'll most likely play for nobody at International level, like most 17-year olds pushing for action in their respective first teams.
We seem obsessed with players declaring for us over 'them' at every opportunity when the reality is the vast majority can declare for whoever they like - they won't end up bein good enough for international football for us, let alone for a team like Spain.

If this lad becomes a regular in the Spanish league then we should certainly be trying to get him involved, and I'd not be worried about Spain poaching our potential players as they don't just shop in a different shop, they are in an entirely different shopping centre.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 10:58am
You're completely missing the point, the issue here is not some panic that he won't play for us because he's got a few runs in the first team at Getafe. The point is that he is not our player - people are creaming themselves over some Spanish kid playing for a club in Spain who is involved with the Spanish underage setup, when he probably has absolutely no interest in playing for Ireland regardless of whether he's good enough for Spain or not. 

It's embarrassing - this lad qualifies for at least four countries but he has been talked about in the last week as the first Irish player since Finnan or Harte or whoever to play in La Liga. He's not Irish and probably never will be. And that's fine - he qualifies to play for us and if he ever wants to I'm sure he'll let us know. Until then, I don't see why there's any interest in this kid from an Irish point of view.

Best of luck to him though.

Posted By: Wes_Wanderers
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:12am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

You're completely missing the point, the issue here is not some panic that he won't play for us because he's got a few runs in the first team at Getafe. The point is that he is not our player - people are creaming themselves over some Spanish kid playing for a club in Spain who is involved with the Spanish underage setup, when he probably has absolutely no interest in playing for Ireland regardless of whether he's good enough for Spain or not. 

It's embarrassing - this lad qualifies for at least four countries but he has been talked about in the last week as the first Irish player since Finnan or Harte or whoever to play in La Liga. He's not Irish and probably never will be. And that's fine - he qualifies to play for us and if he ever wants to I'm sure he'll let us know. Until then, I don't see why there's any interest in this kid from an Irish point of view.

Best of luck to him though.

Well his dad is Irish which makes him an Irish national, so he is definitely Irish. That does not mean he will play football for Ireland obviously, but it does not mean he will not either.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:21am
By that logic Declan Rice and Jack Grealish are Irish. Or Martin Keown or Steve Bruce or Nathan Redmond.

But they're clearly not. If he decides to become involved in our setup at some stage in future he will of course be welcomed and will be considered Irish at that point. Otherwise he's a Spanish kid playing for Spain.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:44am

By that logic Declan Rice and Jack Grealish are Irish. Or Martin Keown or Steve Bruce or Nathan Redmond.

But they're clearly not. If he decides to become involved in our setup at some stage in future he will of course be welcomed and will be considered Irish at that point. Otherwise he's a Spanish kid playing for Spain.

Well actually, it does not. Most of the people you have mentioned have Irish grandparents, not parents, so they may not be on the foreign births register. If you are on that register, then legally you are Irish whether you like it or not. That is a simple fact. Again though, being legally Irish does not mean you will play football for Ireland. With Finn the situation is still ambiguous, there is no real evidence either way who he will play for apart from one tweet that he is part of a Spanish under 17 camp, which I can not really see any other source for.

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:57am
Young eligible player with potential, you have to have some good technical ability to play in the Spanish league at 17.

should we try to get them involved in the irish set up? Yes of course.

Worst case scenario... you get a no thanks

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 2:15pm
I agree he should be considered for whatever U17/U19 camps are on the horizon, just like every other eligible player who the management consider up to scratch.
Also, it's a slow-news period so we're just jumping on this as there's nothing else happening and it's somewhat glamorous.

It's all harmless but we (and I'm not innocent) do spend an inordinate amount of time discussing potential players who most likely will never play for anyone - Crowley, Johannson, Finn...

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I agree he should be considered for whatever U17/U19 camps are on the horizon, just like every other eligible player who the management consider up to scratch.
Also, it's a slow-news period so we're just jumping on this as there's nothing else happening and it's somewhat glamorous.

It's all harmless but we (and I'm not innocent) do spend an inordinate amount of time discussing potential players who most likely will never play for anyone - Crowley, Johannson, Finn...

that really died on the vine. pretty sure the paperwork was actually never approved by FIFA. seems like he is not part of the plans for karanka at birmingham at any rate, but definitely funny to look back on a thread which probably has dozens of pages on someone who will probably never get a senior callup and played only a handful of underage games w us

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 4:59pm
karanka will not be there a lot longer crowley will probably come back into birminghams team. i do not know if his eligible was ever established but if it was i would expect him to win caps over the next few years cos we have very few players that are his style

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 5:33pm
I think Crowley is now eligible after the rule changes.
Whether he's good enough is a different matter.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Wes_Wanderers Wes_Wanderers wrote:

Well actually, it does not. Most of the people you have mentioned have Irish grandparents, not parents, so they may not be on the foreign births register. If you are on that register, then legally you are Irish whether you like it or not. That is a simple fact. Again though, being legally Irish does not mean you will play football for Ireland. With Finn the situation is still ambiguous, there is no real evidence either way who he will play for apart from one tweet that he is part of a Spanish under 17 camp, which I can not really see any other source for.

Getting into a grey area there. That's like saying James McClean is British. Irish people have an increasing habit of claiming people as their own regardless of how strong an attachment the person has to this country. It's a habit the British used to be derided for when it came to athletes or celebrities who came out of this country.

Finn is as Cameroonian, French or English as he is Irish. And that's without getting into the fact he's native Spanish.

The likelihood of him being good enough to play for Spain, France or England is infinitesimal. But he equally might not want to go through the rigmarole of playing Intl football for a nation he has no infinity to as a compromise.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 6:36pm

Getting into a grey area there. That's like saying James McClean is British. Irish people have an increasing habit of claiming people as their own regardless of how strong an attachment the person has to this country. It's a habit the British used to be derided for when it came to athletes or celebrities who came out of this country.

Finn is as Cameroonian, French or English as he is Irish. And that's without getting into the fact he's native Spanish.

The likelihood of him being good enough to play for Spain, France or England is infinitesimal. But he equally might not want to go through the rigmarole of playing Intl football for a nation he has no infinity to as a compromise.

Legally speaking, McClean is British. However, in McClean's case, we know his personal identity is solely Irish, so we bow to that. 

In Finn's case, none of us know his personal opinions, so we can only go on the legal imperative, which is that he is Irish. He also happens to be Spanish, Cameroonian etc, this is perfectly congruent, we do not live in 1800 and you can be more than one thing if you want.

No one is "claiming people as Irish", in fact in this case you are doing the very opposite, you are excluding people from being Irish. You have no reasonable cause to do this, as the only evidence we have at the moment is the legal fact that Finn is Irish, and until the man himself says more on the matter it is inappropriate to assume anything more or less than that. Whether or not he will play football for Ireland is another question entirely, and it is not inextricably linked to him being Irish or not.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 6:57pm

Legally speaking, McClean is British. However, in McClean's case, we know his personal identity is solely Irish, so we bow to that. 

In Finn's case, none of us know his personal opinions, so we can only go on the legal imperative, which is that he is Irish. He also happens to be Spanish, Cameroonian etc, this is perfectly congruent, we do not live in 1800 and you can be more than one thing if you want.

No one is "claiming people as Irish", in fact in this case you are doing the very opposite, you are excluding people from being Irish. You have no reasonable cause to do this, as the only evidence we have at the moment is the legal fact that Finn is Irish, and until the man himself says more on the matter it is inappropriate to assume anything more or less than that. Whether or not he will play football for Ireland is another question entirely, and it is not inextricably linked to him being Irish or not.

I didn't exclude anyone from being Irish. I literally said he's as Cameroonian, French or English as he is Irish and I literally said he's native Spanish as in Spanish by birth or residency. That's the problem about getting into debates about things like this on forums. There's no need to use such emotive language as the following: "you're excluding someone from being Irish", which makes it sound like I said something completely different to what I did say.

Funny thing is Transfermarkt listed his citizenship as "English" and when I posted about that, someone pooh-poohed it and said Transfermarkt is a disreputable website. Now Nathan Murphy verifies that he is in fact eligible for England as well!

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:13pm
That's fine, he's eligible for England as well which changes nothing of what has already been said, so what is your point exactly? 

The more occasions I see you rabidly pursue these arguments across numerous threads with numerous posters above all other footballing issues, the more it becomes apparent to me that's it is a real obsession for you. You may try and frame it as concern for people being "claimed" as Irish against their will, but much like anti-immigrationists painting their views as concern for native homeless people, I think it comes across as hollow. If I was a betting man, I would say it is much more to do with trying to maintain a monopoly over your own view of being Irish. It would seem that this view of the Irish nation can not find a place for people not born in Ireland, and this is why you rail so vociferously against the notion that people like Finn are Irish.

As another poster said recently, the irony of this narrow approach to "who is Irish" is actually very "British" in its outlook, it can not reconcile identity with birthplace if these things are not the same.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:24pm
Just to underline what Wes wrote above: Finn is an Irish citizen by birth. That is beyond dispute and it’s his right as the son of an Irish born father. 

Beyond all the rehashing of old eligibility arguments, that’s this kids situation.

Merry Christmas 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:33pm

Just to underline what Wes wrote above: Finn is an Irish citizen by birth. That is beyond dispute and it’s his right as the son of an Irish born father. 

Beyond all the rehashing of old eligibility arguments, that’s this kids situation.

Merry Christmas 

Absolutely, but at the moment he's a Spanish kid and is apparently in the Spanish national team underage setup so it seems a stretch to be calling him anything other than Spanish in football terms unless he ever decides otherwise.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:28pm
he has made an substitute appearance again today

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 10:02pm

That's fine, he's eligible for England as well which changes nothing of what has already been said, so what is your point exactly? 

The more occasions I see you rabidly pursue these arguments across numerous threads with numerous posters above all other footballing issues, the more it becomes apparent to me that's it is a real obsession for you. You may try and frame it as concern for people being "claimed" as Irish against their will, but much like anti-immigrationists painting their views as concern for native homeless people, I think it comes across as hollow. If I was a betting man, I would say it is much more to do with trying to maintain a monopoly over your own view of being Irish. It would seem that this view of the Irish nation can not find a place for people not born in Ireland, and this is why you rail so vociferously against the notion that people like Finn are Irish.

As another poster said recently, the irony of this narrow approach to "who is Irish" is actually very "British" in its outlook, it can not reconcile identity with birthplace if these things are not the same.

I'm baffled as to what I said to warrant a response like this response TBH. I never even said he wasn't Irish! Anyways.... Let the kid decide what he is, rather than a piece of paper like it's the 1940s or something. I have younger brothers and sisters who have Irish-born friends from places like Nigeria and India. Some don't consider themselves Irish, some do. I don't think it's my place to decide what nationality someone from a country with 250 ethnic tribes is.

At the end of the day any marketing materials from his clubs and any promotional materials from the league he plays in list him as just Spanish. Transfermarkt lists his citizenship as English. He hasn't said anything about Ireland. And at the end of the day, he mightn't be good enough for Intl football (fingers crossed he is for his sake).

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 10:57pm
Everyone is "letting the kid make up his mind", do you think starting a thread on a football forum is a binding international football contract or something? The reality as I have said is that none of us know what Finn himself thinks, so all we can say is that legally he is Irish (along with other nationalities), so there's nothing wrong with referring to him as such or discussing him. I really can't see why that would incense you so much.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:04pm

Everyone is "letting the kid make up his mind", do you think starting a thread on a football forum is a binding international football contract or something? The reality as I have said is that none of us know what Finn himself thinks, so all we can say is that legally he is Irish (along with other nationalities), so there's nothing wrong with referring to him as such or discussing him. I really can't see why that would incense you so much.

I don't know how you get the impression I'm very angry or enraged. You're entitled to refer to him however you want as much as I disagree with your reasoning for doing so.

In fact I agree with you that most of what's on this thread is pretty irrelevant until he plays Intl football or makes a public declaration about it.

I think we're at cross-purposes TBH.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:25pm
Hmmm.....Wes, you are creating sentiments and then arguing against them.
Better to just make your point, in my simple opinion.

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:06pm
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/6481166/stephen-kenny-john-joe-patrick-finn-declare-ireland/amp/" rel="nofollow -  https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/6481166/stephen-kenny-john-joe-patrick-finn-declare-ireland/amp/

Kenny, Crawford and Mohan did a call/presentation for him recently.

Spain and England also in contact.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:20pm
Good to see them trying although I'd say it's a long shot given the other interest. Possibly we would be offering Under 21 football given Crawford's involvement whereas England and Spain would probably be looking to get him into their Under 19 setup.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:23pm
All we can do is try. With Ryan Nolan at the club too who knows

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: JoxerDaly
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:30pm
Whats the English link ?

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:30pm
Incidentally England really will try for any player these days, regardless of the tenuous nature of the link involved. Given their playing resources, going for a Spanish lad with an Irish father and a mother from Cameroon is a bit of a dick move to be honest.

Spain you would imagine would be the favourites here, he is essentially Spanish after all.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:34pm

Good to see them trying although I'd say it's a long shot given the other interest. Possibly we would be offering Under 21 football given Crawford's involvement whereas England and Spain would probably be looking to get him into their Under 19 setup.

What in gods name sort of contact would he have to England? 

They are right to try and tbh his prospects of playing for Spain are a lot less then Ireland. It’s definitely worth trying to get him on board. The name would very much suggest an old man proud of his Irish roots.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:39pm
John Finn was a quality half back for Mayo back in the day. Would be good to have his namesake of Mayo roots in the Ireland underage setup.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:41pm

Incidentally England really will try for any player these days, regardless of the tenuous nature of the link involved. Given their playing resources, going for a Spanish lad with an Irish father and a mother from Cameroon is a bit of a dick move to be honest.

Spain you would imagine would be the favourites here, he is essentially Spanish after all.

No it's not ffs. LOL

They're entitled like every other football association to recruit any eligible players. We haven't done our case any harm going by that newspaper article so it would be an unexpected boost if he did declare for us. 

He probably won't but we could be surprised.   

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 12:04am
https://twitter.com/noriordan/status/1354938595182862346?s=21" rel="nofollow -  https://twitter.com/noriordan/status/1354938595182862346?s=21

Interview with his dad in 2012 here 

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 12:14am
Where is he qualifying for England? Mother's side or grandparent on father's side?

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 12:19am
This is a promising story regardless of how it works out for this player.
Shows the joined-up thinking between the underage and senior management teams and allows us to present a unified front to any multi-national player that we have a structure that spans the age groups all the way to the senior squad.

More of this please.

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 12:54am

Shows the joined-up thinking between the underage and senior management teams and allows us to present a unified front to any multi-national player that we have a structure that spans the age groups all the way to the senior squad.

More of this please.

Suppose its better than having talks with the likes of Roy Keane, Noel King and MON 

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 2:00am

More of this please.

Yeah, agreed. I hope the kid plays for us, but at the end of the day I’m more pleased that we have a strategy for speaking to especially talented kids and bringing them into the system. 

-------------

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 2:22am
I don’t think it would be a delusional assumption to think we would be very much 2nd favourites behind Spain if you were betting on it. He really will have no reason for picking England as if he wanted to play for a big nation Spain will fill that priority anyways.

He will be picking us as he sees us as more of an opportunity for a proper international career and potentially not good enough for Spain if he does pick us to be blunt. 

Problem is I’m sure Spain don’t have a million 17yos playing top flight football either it shows how well this lad is doing at the moment. If he was 23/24 and signing for a La Liga club it’s different as really he be more likely to see no opportunity to play for Spain. He might do at 17 and who would blame him for thinking it.

If he comes on board great if not best of luck to him and it’s great initiative by the coaches to invite him to come to us.

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:21am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I don’t think it would be a delusional assumption to think we would be very much 2nd favourites behind Spain if you were betting on it. He really will have no reason for picking England as if he wanted to play for a big nation Spain will fill that priority anyways.

He will be picking us as he sees us as more of an opportunity for a proper international career and potentially not good enough for Spain if he does pick us to be blunt. 

Problem is I’m sure Spain don’t have a million 17yos playing top flight football either it shows how well this lad is doing at the moment. If he was 23/24 and signing for a La Liga club it’s different as really he be more likely to see no opportunity to play for Spain. He might do at 17 and who would blame him for thinking it.

If he comes on board great if not best of luck to him and it’s great initiative by the coaches to invite him to come to us.

I expect him to play for Spain at underage level, at least initially. The competition at senior level there is huge, so unless he ends up playing for one of the top 3/4 clubs, I could see a scenario where he plays for us at senior leve. 

I think we're effectively hoping this lad ends up having a mid level career in Spain

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:49am

More of this please.

Agreed - that's my main takeaway from this as well regardless of the ultimate outcome.

I don't think we're as much of a long shot here as some posters seem to think either. His dad, now deceased, was Irish after all and so representing us might mean a lot to him.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:08am
very sad that his Dad who hailed from Mayo passed away so young.  Regularly back in Ireland during the summer.  Mother from Cameroon.  I think it’s quite possible he plays for us.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Englishborn
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:14am
don't think Ireland have a hope in hell going up against England or Spain. Tbh southgate's priority right now is retaining the services of musiala. I think Spain will be his first choice.  Ireland dont really have anything significant to offer him right now. 

Posted By: avfc
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

very sad that his Dad who hailed from Mayo passed away so young.  Regularly back in Ireland during the summer.  Mother from Cameroon.  I think it’s quite possible he plays for us.  

Have Cameroon thrown their hat in the ring?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net