Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=37762
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scottish Celtic Fans
Posted By: irishmufc
Subject: Scottish Celtic Fans
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 5:53pm
Irish celtic fans might be able to answer this for me.

The auld fella read paddy crerands book where he said he wouldve loved to play for the republic if the granny rule was in at the time.the scottish team had a strong orange influence and the SFA too.crerands grandparents were from donegal and he was very proud of his irish ancestry.

just wondering how scottish celtic fans feel about the national team.im sure they like to see the celtic players do well.a lifelong cetic fan i know from glasgow has no time for the national team.from going to celtic games or going on the forums do they get behind the team nowadays?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Replies:
Posted By: Tiocfaidh Armani
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 5:58pm

I would say most support Scotland and nearly all would have Ireland as a second team, with about 10-20% maybe who would support Ireland over Scotland. I have a lot of friends who would support Ireland over Scotland and who are openly hostile to the Scottish national team. But I'd say a healthy majority would support the Scottish team.

99% of them want England out on their arse as soon as possible as wellThumbs Up

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 6:06pm
What i like about scotland fans is when they travel they dont seem to bring many union jacks (unlike thoses flutefaces up above) just their national flags which look really impressive in the stands with all the different placenames on them.

A scottish away game would be great craic id say

-------------

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 7:27pm
3 Celtic threads and a Sheffield united thread- ffs

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

This thread is nothing to do with the celtic team as such.it was just a quick inquiry into celtic fans perspective of the scottish national team nowadays.its a legimate thread ken

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:01pm
I know a fella born and bred in glasgow, been in Castlebar for many years. He's a massive Celtic fan, meet him eery Thursday night at Castlebar Celtic draw and always enjoy his stories from games he's been to in Glasgow.

He always says he's been to a Scotland game twice, and it was twice too many. Very big Ireland fan and never nisses a game at home

Posted By: reabhloid
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:06pm
i read somewhere that there were a lot of celtic fans including the celtic board of directors in the ireland end when scotland played ireland in1988 euro qualification ...hardly surprising...ended up with a scot putting the ball in the back of the english net in stuttgart in the finals

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

What i like about scotland fans is when they travel they dont seem to bring many union jacks (unlike thoses flutefaces up above) just their national flags which look really impressive in the stands with all the different placenames on them.

Why would they bring Union Jacks?
They are Scottish and proud.
The hate the English more than we do.
Their also looking to break away from the Union.

I always supported Scotland as a kid (excluding Ireland of course).

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

scoti is latin for irish...so similar peoples

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:01pm
After living in Scotland for 7 years I can tell you that most Celtic fans don't really care too much about the national team. This is particularly the case the closer you get to Glasgow. The tartan army is a big attraction for fans outside the old firm as they know their clubs have little chance of being in the spotlight unlike their national team who used to regularly qualify for tournaments....that said they have the best (in terms of numbers) travelling support in the qualifiers. They take 3 or 4 times more fans than we do to away games.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

After living in Scotland for 7 years I can tell you that most Celtic fans don't really care too much about the national team. This is particularly the case the closer you get to Glasgow. The tartan army is a big attraction for fans outside the old firm as they know their clubs have little chance of being in the spotlight unlike their national team who used to regularly qualify for tournaments....that said they have the best (in terms of numbers) travelling support in the qualifiers. They take 3 or 4 times more fans than we do to away games.
and they can sing their national anthem like there is no tomorrow..!

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

1 Leeds
1 Reading
1 Southampton
2 Chelsea
2 Barca
2 Madrid
1 Bayern
2 Rangers
1 Villa
2 Liverpool
And 1 Sunderland

You forgot all these off yer list there Barlow Thumbs Up all on page 1 ffs

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by reabhloid reabhloid wrote:

And what nationality entitles them to play for the scottish football team ?

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Scottish Thumbs Up

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 8:25am

not true - numbers are broadly similar. understandable that our numbers are down for the last campaign though

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

not true - numbers are broadly similar. understandable that our numbers are down for the last campaign though

ok fair enough. I had a number of conversations with locals in Skopje and Bari who said they couldn't get over the number of Scots who were there in previous qualifying matches. Also a mate who's in the tartan army was filling me in on the numbers of supporters at away games and it certainly appears to be a lot more than what we bring. It would be understandable with football being their number 1 sport and having no other real challengers to it i.e. no GAA and rugby is very much a minority sport.  

-------------

Posted By: BaileNuisBhoy
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 8:51am
They brought massive support to Dublin last year for the Carling Nations Cup

-------------
Say no to Egg Chasing!!!

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 9:17am

Scottish Thumbs Up

dont think so, as far as FIFA is concerned their nationailiy is British Their eligibility comes under  the singular nationality clause  in which your nationality entitles you  to play for more than one team ie British

dont think so Tom, they travel in  bigger numbers than we do. they took 8000 to Prague 2 years ago to watch a 4 6 0 formation half of them with out tickets and they havent qualified for anything since 98 ?

when the last time we took 8000 ? Paris in a WC play off

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 9:37am
Our numbers have dropped  a lot though for the last 2 campaigns   We had better away support under Stan (although the economy rather than the manager might be the explanation). 

We had 6,000 in Prague midweek in 07.

We brought almost 40,000 to Paris in 04 - appreciate a lot of factors like tickets freely available, saturday game etc but it was some crowd.  I don't recall Scotland bringing that many to the continent for a qualifier.

I'd say they have more away support recently but we would have had more for most of the previous 20 years.

The TA are better organised - proper travel clubs etc

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:54pm
http://provossf.webs.com/scottishira.htm" rel="nofollow - http://provossf.webs.com/scottishira.htm   this was a good tartan army..!

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:59pm
Tartan Army sound bunch of lads most of them and a lot of them arae scotland first and foremost and prefer if club shirts are left at home which in the main is what happens with them.  They do travel in great numbers and considering they have not qualifed since 98 they get great numbers.

Not as many from Glasgow as from places like Stirling, Inverness, Aberdeen etc. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

well i suppose any rangers supporters at the scotland games would probably be more likely to bring union jacks as they d associate themselves as being british along with being scottish.but AFAIK the scottish fans dont seem to which is good to see.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Tartan Army sound bunch of lads most of them and a lot of them arae scotland first and foremost and prefer if club shirts are left at home which in the main is what happens with them.  They do travel in great numbers and considering they have not qualifed since 98 they get great numbers.

it seems to be the same with england where the top premiership sides fans dont seem to follow the national team.
I was at wembley a few years ago the united fans were singing "You Can Stick Your England Up Your Arse"

-------------

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 1:58pm

it seems to be the same with england where the top premiership sides fans dont seem to follow the national team.
I was at wembley a few years ago the united fans were singing "You Can Stick Your England Up Your Arse"

But isn't there a divide between the supporters from the north & south? Some supporters from the likes of Liverpool, Manchester, North-East etc. wouldn't give a damn about the national side in contrast to those based in London

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

But isn't there a divide between the supporters from the north & south? Some supporters from the likes of Liverpool, Manchester, North-East etc. wouldn't give a damn about the national side in contrast to those based in London

i thanked ya by accident there but ya there is a north south divide.i think at the england the united and liverpool players tend to get on better with each other.one of the lads posted before that its fans of the lower league english teams that go to the national side games.

The SFA years ago had had an orange element to it which probably put alot of celtic fans off the team understandably but its probably not the case nowadays

-------------

Posted By: samscafe
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 3:28pm
from 1912 well into the 1980s there was a terrible 'orange tint' to the SFA.  You only have to look at the treatment of Jimmy McGrory (the UK's most prolific goalscorer) yet he got 7 caps for Scotland.  Even the famous Lisbon Lions who were part of Europe's elite f0r 5 years got telling fewer caps than their Rangers counterparts. 
What has changed, however, is Rangers fans now seem to support England and have stopped going to Scotland games.  Watching Scotland is now a much more pleasant experience.      

-------------
Certain mods are complete wankstains

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by samscafe samscafe wrote:

What has changed, however, is Rangers fans now seem to support England and have stopped going to Scotland games.  Watching Scotland is now a much more pleasant experience.      

Horse manure

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 3:53pm

i thanked ya by accident there but ya there is a north south divide.i think at the england the united and liverpool players tend to get on better with each other.one of the lads posted before that its fans of the lower league english teams that go to the national side games.

The SFA years ago had had an orange element to it which probably put alot of celtic fans off the team understandably but its probably not the case nowadays

Nothing wrong with that, i'll gladly accept the 5 points LOL

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

We brought almost 40,000 to Paris in 04 - appreciate a lot of factors like tickets freely available, saturday game etc but it was some crowd.  I don't recall Scotland bringing that many to the continent for a qualifier.

I'd say they have more away support recently but we would have had more for most of the previous 20 years.

Did we really have 6000 ?  at Prague, I was only at Bratislava dont recall that many at the weekend

40K was a great crowd TBF

Maybe they have less bandwagonnersLOL, they dont exactly have a bandwagon to jump on.

I was struck by the 8000 at Prague, thought it was a hell of a figure though Prague is an attractive venue. Their away scheme is in regular use given their numbers travelling

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 4:28pm

Nothing wrong with that, i'll gladly accept the 5 points LOL

Using ybig on the android phone is a pain in the arse alright

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 9:30pm

Scottish Thumbs Up

dont think so, as far as FIFA is concerned their nationailiy is British Their eligibility comes under  the singular nationality clause  in which your nationality entitles you  to play for more than one team ie British

dont think so Tom, they travel in  bigger numbers than we do. they took 8000 to Prague 2 years ago to watch a 4 6 0 formation half of them with out tickets and they havent qualified for anything since 98 ?

when the last time we took 8000 ? Paris in a WC play off

You are whatever nationality you associate yourself with. e.g. People from Scotland by and large associate themselves as Scots, the basques the same, the catalans again the same etc. Citizenship is a different matter though. At this moment in time the Scots are citizens of the UK but that doesn't mean they have to sing GSTQ because that has nothing to do with nationality. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Horse manure

What do you know?  You've been shown up to be a clueless bawbag.

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 6:02am
Most Scots based Celtic fans that I've met follow the Republic of Ireland.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 8:52am

Horse manure

Bawbag?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 10:00am

Horse manure

Bawbag?

Sorry, you are correct, this is Sunday.   Clueless Scrotum.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:05pm

a relatively recent poll (last year) on the TAMB indicsted that the largest group of Scotland supporters were rangers fans ( nowithstanding those who sang you can shove the TA up your arse)

You are whatever nationality you associate yourself with. e.g. People from Scotland by and large associate themselves as Scots, the basques the same, the catalans again the same etc. Citizenship is a different matter though. At this moment in time the Scots are citizens of the UK but that doesn't mean they have to sing GSTQ because that has nothing to do with nationality.

Confused Football eligibility is covered by articles 15 and 16 (article numbers have changed but not the content) Artcile 15 is the general eligibity that the vast majority of countrys  are governed by, basically nationality determines  eligibility . Article 16 covers where a single nationality (British)  entitles you to play for several teams. Players are entitled to play for Scotland because of this british nationality . In Kearns V IFA the nationalities in dispute were Irish and British, not Irish and Northern Irish . I sincerely hope Scotland gains its indepenance

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 4:04pm

[QUOTE=samscafe] What has changed, however, is Rangers fans now seem to support England and have stopped going to Scotland games.  Watching Scotland is now a much more pleasant experience.      

a relatively recent poll (last year) on the TAMB indicsted that the largest group of Scotland supporters were rangers fans ( nowithstanding those who sang you can shove the TA up your arse)

[QUOTE=colemanY2K]

The Tartan Army MB has about 60 members.   Anyway, I am talking about attending games.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 6:47pm

[QUOTE=samscafe] What has changed, however, is Rangers fans now seem to support England and have stopped going to Scotland games.  Watching Scotland is now a much more pleasant experience.      

[QUOTE=colemanY2K]

The Tartan Army MB has about 60 members.   Anyway, I am talking about attending games.

Do you go around Hamden surveying people?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 6:55pm

[QUOTE=colemanY2K]

EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedthe TAMB has 41000 members no doubt similar to here some dorment some multiple but has been going longer than the YBIG.

As to attending games plenty on it attend both Home and away games which is what first got my interst as they played Georgia ( as we were due to), Italy in Bari,  Macedonia and alsois/ Sweden before us so was particurlity handy for routes/tips etc

So yeah I would imagine its a fair representative os Scotland fans, the largest grouping just of which were Rangers fans

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:36pm

Did we really have 6000 ?  at Prague, I was only at Bratislava dont recall that many at the weekend

Maybe they have less bandwagonnersLOL, they dont exactly have a bandwagon to jump on.

I was struck by the 8000 at Prague, thought it was a hell of a figure though Prague is an attractive venue. Their away scheme is in regular use given their numbers travelling

We had huge ticket issues in advance for Prague although the touts had loads.  Celtic Tiger was still in full swing then though.  Loads just can't afford it anymore. 

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 8:08pm

We had huge ticket issues in advance for Prague although the touts had loads.  Celtic Tiger was still in full swing then though.  Loads just can't afford it anymore. 

Really? My mate and I got tickets the day of the game in a pub. Didn't even know there was ticketing issues Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 10:07pm

Confused Football eligibility is covered by articles 15 and 16 (article numbers have changed but not the content) Artcile 15 is the general eligibity that the vast majority of countrys  are governed by, basically nationality determines  eligibility . Article 16 covers where a single nationality (British)  entitles you to play for several teams. Players are entitled to play for Scotland because of this british nationality . In Kearns V IFA the nationalities in dispute were Irish and British, not Irish and Northern Irish . I sincerely hope Scotland gains its indepenance

Who gives a fook about FIFA/UEFA eligibility rules. We're talking about the fans and what they see themselves as not the players. Nationality is normally defined by your citizenship but not always ...sometimes by ethnicity. That's why the Scots who are ethnically different from the English have a right to sing their own national anthem. They define their nationality through ethnic terms.  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net