Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=37627
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 2:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Arts
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: The Arts
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:33pm
Anyone else think this is a load of bollox? sh*te artwork, acrobats prancing around, modern art, theatre and mime, gimps on unicycles etc seems like the most boring thing ever. I see sky have actually set up a channel dedicated to this muck now.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Anyone else think this is a load of bollox? sh*te artwork, acrobats prancing around, modern art, theatre and mime, gimps on unicycles etc seems like the most boring thing ever. I see sky have actually set up a channel dedicated to this muck now.

Its for pretentious c*nts, just like those who use french words or latin words in speech or sentences

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Its for pretentious c*nts, just like those who use french words or greek words in speech or sentences

Touche

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:59pm
Jaysus the f**king ignorance.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:04pm
Loada bollex IMHO

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:05pm

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

I'm getting Sham a print of that for his house warming. Something tells me he'll enjoy it more than a George Forman grill.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:46pm
Not a fan of modern Art myself or experimental dance but jesus a good play can be as good as any film.

Loads of great Irish plays some stirring stuff over the years. 

Also I would not be of the view that the Arts only encompasses them

I would think music of all kinds is the arts and in many ways football can be an art form.

We have come along way from the modernists views of the world that there is a canon of art and that art should be studied and the lives of the authors etc should be studied to a post modern world were art is seein in many forms and in many ways its the audience that decides on the place the art goes rather than the text or the author. 

Are poems and song lyrics included in your rant Trap. 

Also Sky Arts is quality some great music shows on it,  One of the main reasons I moved from UPC to Sky was due to Sky Arts great music documentaries and Ronnie Woods music show etc.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:47pm
TA

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:55pm
Poetry is the most overrated load of rubbish. Dont even get me started on Shakespeare.

-------------

Posted By: Huggybeer
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:59pm

Its for pretentious c*nts, just like those who use french words or greek words in speech or sentences

Monge Tut Rodney

Whats worse is those fooking Arts degrees, what a waste of tax payers money,, 4 yeas for some unshaved hippy chick to learn how to draw match stick men

Posted By: Rostrevor Fan
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 2:02pm

Poetry is the most overrated load of rubbish. Dont even get me started on Shakespeare.

You're dead right there Trap - it much ado about nothing

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Monge Tut Rodney

Whats worse is those fooking Arts degrees, what a waste of tax payers money,, 4 yeas for some unshaved hippy chick to learn how to draw match stick men

ClapClap   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfi6mT8gPB4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfi6mT8gPB4

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 2:08pm
Does anyone else think that the paddy's day parade is complete sh*te now with all those contemporary dancers dressed in bin bags prancing around the street.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 2:18pm

Does anyone else think that the paddy's day parade is complete sh*te now with all those contemporary dancers dressed in bin bags prancing around the street.

It beats a scout troop walking along picking their nose, well maybe not if they were picking each others nose

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 2:21pm
Poetry is brilliant!!!
So are stageplays. (Philadelphia Here I ComeHeart)
Ballet is beautiful too. 

Art is fairly sh*tty though imo.

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 6:33pm
Stage plays are great, depending on the story alright.
I did acting in college and I totally know what you're talkin about TJ. Many a 'play' where we were all dressed all in black, and there was no sets, the typical type of w*nky stuff that everyone hates. 
One class we had to be a sponge. A f*ckin sponge.  Really not what I thought it was gonna be.

And if anybody studied music for the leaving cert they'll know of Gerald Barry. Terrible stuff.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Monge Tut Rodney

ClapClap   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfi6mT8gPB4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfi6mT8gPB4

absolute classic

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:10pm
My brothers ex girlfriend who studied art in the crusty capital of ireland namely galway city drew a picture of two cows with a nuclear power plant billowing smoke in the background and in font was written When Will It All End? .absolute pretentious horsesh*te.i was so upset id to head for pints of guinness and bacon fries in the local

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:15pm
Sounds like she just combinted two pink floyd album covers. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

My brothers ex girlfriend who studied art in the crusty capital of ireland namely galway city drew a picture of two cows with a nuclear power plant billowing smoke in the background and in font was written When Will It All End? .absolute pretentious horsesh*te.i was so upset id to head for pints of guinness and bacon fries in the local

The cows must have been a representation for global warming and perhaps the nuclear plant was a symbol for future

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:20pm

She should have painted 2 pints of guiness with some bacon fries in a pub with footie on the tv with a quote at the front of the painting "No nonsense".

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Sounds like she just combinted two pink floyd album covers. 

like myself she s a big radiohead and pink floyd fan but theres an awful lot of pretentious sh*te associated with these two bands.radiohead are my favourite band but they can be insufferable at times.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:25pm
All this arts talk has me thirsty now.anyone know how to teleport to the dew drop in for a tuesday night guinness to get the 2nd half of bayern game?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:26pm
Theres a yoke called the galway arts festival. I have been living here donkeys but have never seen the parade or anything. I think its gimps on stilts or mimes or lads dressed up as dragons and sh*t. What the point of it is f**k knows.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:28pm

All this arts talk has me thirsty now.anyone know how to teleport to the dew drop in for a tuesday night guinness to get the 2nd half of bayern game?

just use mime and pretend you are there sipping a smooth cool pint watching the game eating bacon fries.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:33pm

Theres a yoke called the galway arts festival. I have been living here donkeys but have never seen the parade or anything. I think its gimps on stilts or mimes or lads dressed up as dragons and sh*t. What the point of it is f**k knows.

trap you should be on those no nonsense john smiths ads.i loved those with peter kay in them.
Im starring in a new john smiths ad where those crustys in eyre square still wont leave so basically i send in the guards with flamethrowers and the ad ends with the caption no nonsense while liberals are running around in flames in eyre square.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:38pm

just use mime and pretend you are there sipping a smooth cool pint watching the game eating bacon fries.

nah its not quite the same is it?im in a more salted peanuts mood.guinness is €4 which is good for galway

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:41pm
The anger is really flowing now so this might take a while. Did art for the leaving and it is such a load of bollox. Making modelsnout of coathangers etc.. and clay yokes. What good is that to society? As if anyone would actually buy these hideous yokes and display them in their gaff. They just create more rubbish for landfill sites when they are thrown out. All these crusty art people going on about the environment when they are contributing to pollution of our planet by producing sh*te.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:50pm
Now onto Shakespeare. This twat should have been strung up for producing brutal stories. His poncy language with ye olde school english is an attempt to gloss over the fact that his storylines were both wanky and boring never mind realistic. He is held up in reverence by toffs and literary people. For what? His storylines were crap. His form of english was just the way people talked back then. Its not like he invented it. Its no more sophisticated than todays english with slang. Language evolves so ponces stop living in the past. If Shakespeare was alive today his talents would be employed by the Hallmark channel writing cheap budget murder mysteries shown at 1.30pm. Either that or a script writer for Diagnosis Murder.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 8:57pm
Have headed to the Arts Festival a few times, quality,.  Saw   Spiritualised and Primal Scream a few years ago at it with Babysis.  Quality Gig.

And no before anyone asks it was not a date.  :)

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Rostrevor Fan
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:01pm
Wherefore art thou jessica fletcher whyeth doth everytime you appeareth someone doth die

Posted By: Babysis
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Have headed to the Arts Festival a few times, quality,.  Saw   Spiritualised and Primal Scream a few years ago at it with Babysis.  Quality Gig.

And no before anyone asks it was not a date.  :)

I can also confirm this was definitely not a date

I can also vouch for the dew drop pints tonight, as good as always

Posted By: GINN
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:49pm

Now onto Shakespeare. This twat should have been strung up for producing brutal stories. His poncy language with ye olde school english is an attempt to gloss over the fact that his storylines were both wanky and boring never mind realistic. He is held up in reverence by toffs and literary people. For what? His storylines were crap. His form of english was just the way people talked back then. Its not like he invented it. Its no more sophisticated than todays english with slang. Language evolves so ponces stop living in the past. If Shakespeare was alive today his talents would be employed by the Hallmark channel writing cheap budget murder mysteries shown at 1.30pm. Either that or a script writer for Diagnosis Murder.

The same can be said for the Beatles and many popular contemporary artists.

Shakespeare sold out the Globe regularly, and the themes of death, betrayal and lust in his work are still evident in modern day film.

-------------
NINE 11 - YBIG FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 2011/12

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:07pm

TBH trap i studied shakespeare before but he was probably one of the first literary satirists in that the royals and nobility of the time loved going to his plays for the drama and intrigue but what shakespeare was doing was attacking the lifestyle,beliefs,suspicions,conduct and environment that these royals/nobility were part of by highlighting their own human need for power and status.hamlet and king lear are examples of this.
Oscar wilde done the same thing in attacking the higher class edwardian culture of 19th century

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:10pm
No offence but its not as if shakespeare had any competition back then.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:18pm

No offence but its not as if shakespeare had an
y competition back then.

he was probably the equivalent of a pop star back then as entertainment wouldve been very restricted back then.its difficult to judge or compare him to a modern context as he was hugely successful at what he done.

I have computer classes in the art college campus of GMIT and there are some mad fcukers in there.my mates brother does be tellin me the craic with these highly strung art students that will be undoubtedly future dole merchants

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 2:36am
FAO McG

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 8:14am
I saw the way you looked at me when they asked me what I thought about Hamlet and I told them I preferred Castellas

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2023 at 8:59am
Galway Arts Festival Clap

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net