Print Page | Close Window

Will majority of fans be in Torun or Gdansk?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=35905
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 4:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Will majority of fans be in Torun or Gdansk?
Posted By: irishmufc
Subject: Will majority of fans be in Torun or Gdansk?
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:09pm
I know we ve threads up on Torun and Gdansk but has anyone any idea where most fans are staying?Our group of 6 are staying the 2 nights before the Croatia   match in Berlin,the 4 nights before the Spain match in Gdansk and the 4 nights before the italy match in Torun.anyone else doing that or are the majority just staying in Torun/Gdansk?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Replies:
Posted By: TBWRA
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:12pm

Gdansk as it has more bed I would imagine

-------------
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:18pm
I would say Poznan as two games being played there but that's all I am basing it on.

Ps Bohs how many beds in Gdansk compared to the other cities!?

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:19pm
A lot of spanish will be in Gdansk as they play all 3 games in Gadansk.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:21pm
You d think the majority would want to travel around the country to see different cities.I'd go daft if i was in Torun for 10 nights.it d be nice to see a bit of the country if you re there for 2 weeks.Poznan seems like a standard industrial city whereas torun and Gdansk are tourist cities

-------------

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:37pm
There was a poll done on This with Torun,Poznan, Gdansk coming out in that order. A lot of People are staying in all 3 for different days.

I have been to all Irelands Championship Competitions and have always stayed somewhere halfway between the host cities as Accomodation ,Drink and Food prices are always more reasonable and you get to know the locals and their customs a lot better staying in one place and taking days sightseeing in the nearby area.

The 10/12 days will fly and not having to be change accomodation every few days is also a big factor.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

There was a poll done on This with Torun,Poznan, Gdansk coming out in that order. A lot of People are staying in all 3 for different days.

I have been to all Irelands Championship Competitions and have always stayed somewhere halfway between the host cities as Accomodation ,Drink and Food prices are always more reasonable and you get to know the locals and their customs a lot better staying in one place and taking days sightseeing in the nearby area.

The 10/12 days will fly and not having to be change accomodation every few days is also a big factor.
Do you mind me asking how much spending money not including travel and accomodation at the least you would bring for 2 weeks?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:48pm
€300 in cash and have a back up in your Bank Account or credit Card of another €500. Poland is cheaper than here but stick to the local beer and spirits as imported beer will be double the price.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:52pm
no interest on torun , i reckon it will be all about gdansk sopot gdynia

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Vojt
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 1:53pm
Alan, 

if I may help a bit so you can do your own calculating: 

1 botlle/can of fantastic Polish beer - 0.50 - 0.80 euro / shop or max 2 euro (bar/pub/restaurant)

1/2 l bottle of vodka - 3-5 euro / shop

decent 2nd course - 5 - 10 euro / restaurant

fast-food stuff - 2 - 5 euro

Need more info ask :-) 

Vojt

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:00pm

€300 in cash and have a back up in your Bank Account or credit Card of another €500. Poland is cheaper than here but stick to the local beer and spirits as imported beer will be double the price.

Thanks for that.Im hoping to have 2000 (700 for accomodation/travel) and 1,300 spending money.id be tempted to cancel torun accomodation and stay longer in Gdansk,Gydnia and Sopot region.Torun though is mean't to be nice there seems to be alot of irish staying there

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:04pm
think most on here are spending the majoirty of their time in Torun. I would say overall, most will stay in and around Poznan. Probably spend the night up there for the Croatia game, maybe even two nights. Depends on if more hotels are released at more reasonable prices closer to the game.
Thinking campsite for the night of the Spain game in Gdansk.

booking the buses through Steve and Alan anyway. Will be needing it one way for sure but lets see what happens with regards to prices in the host cities

Posted By: Barna Bee
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:08pm
I reckon only those who are going to be there for 3 games and anything that that happens after that will be looking at Torun . It will be the venue to go to if you want to save cash between matches ...which makes sense.
Me...will be in and out of Poznan on the days of the games and staying in a hotel in Poznan for these. One night stay in each case(not doing the Spanish match). Should we get out of our group I will reassess and fly back out for it ....cash reserves permitting

-------------
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"

Posted By: Forza2
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:42pm
According to polish media Torun is expecting just 1500 fans from Ireland with additional hundreds in Bydgoszcz and some smaller towns around Torun.
Poznan 10 000 Malta camping won't be full or ...it could  be ...anyway that certainly gives some proportion. Hard to guess how many would come from Ireland alone.
Given that 2 games are in Poznan this town could be most popular destination. Gdansk is definitely most attractive location for reason other then football, Torun is charming and has this small town feel, Poznan oh well it's ...well organized :)

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:57pm
1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
2nights torun (if campsite ever replys)
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

Hopefully 800 will do the trick but only bringing bout 250 and bankcard

Posted By: Shebber
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 3:03pm
2 nights Poznan
4 nights Gdansk
4 nights Poznan

Job done!!

-------------
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by dotts101 dotts101 wrote:

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

You ll be doing well not to spend that unless you re the type of lad that goes to the toilet when its his round Wink.only messin hey.im hopin to have 1300 spending money myself over 16 nights not including accomodation and travel

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

You ll be doing well not to spend that unless you re the type of lad that goes to the toilet when its his round Wink.only messin hey.im hopin to have 1300 spending money myself over 16 nights not including accomodation and travel

in a camper so most travel is sorted but thinking 
150e each for petrol
150e campsite accom
50e a day drink and food sticking to the local stuff (50x10=500) 
actually an extra 100e for 2nights in dusseldorf and accom and whatever the lovely lady costs are
tickets are sorted already and will have more in the bank card anyway if needed

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 3:36pm
2 nights in Poznan, 2 nights in Gdansk and 6 in Berlin for me. Accom sorted for €220 for 10 nights, flights €300 Dub-Amsterdm-Berlin return.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Babysis
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 3:55pm
We are staying in Warsaw for 2 nights, then Poznan for for 4 nights. then off to Sopot for 4 nights then torun for 4 nights. Im happy doing it this way as its a good chance to see a few different places, but I can also see why some people ave opted for a base of their stay, its each to their own IMO.

-------------
First Commander-Galway Regatta

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 4:31pm
The Hayes Clan are staying in Torun for the duration

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Posted By: buddyroche
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 4:52pm
Cant decide whether to stay in poznan or gdansk ourselves, any suggestions or links lads? Me eyes are boggle eyed from that fuppin portal and google search!

-------------
All aboard Trap's Tractor

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 4:56pm
Sopot beach and Poznan Carlsberg Fanzone are where its at lads 

Sopot's supposed to be a savage spot with a nice beach Clap

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Posted By: RazorMac
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 4:59pm
Anyone staying in Lodz? 6 of us booked appartment. Works out 22 euro per night pp.  Going to day trip to d games and  play it by ear. Probably staying in gdansk for 2 nights but not paying the mad money the robbers are looking for. Lodz is quite central and trains run all night. Park benches are free too.Big smile Have free cancelation if something better comes up in host cities but if not, its all good.. 

-------------
Ah heere leeeeeave it ouuuut

Posted By: c90
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Sopot beach and Poznan Carlsberg Fanzone are where its at lads 

Sopot's supposed to be a savage spot with a nice beach Clap
Plan to sleep under the stars on the beach in gdansk/sopot the night of the spain match and save myself some money.  Based in torun for the rest.

-------------
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves

Posted By: Handy
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 5:09pm
Frankfurt x 1 night
Berlin x 1 night
Torun x 4 nights
Poznan x 2 nights
Gdansk x 2 nights
Inowroclaw x 1 night
Gniezno x 1 night

We'll be like Wanderly Wagon!

Posted By: Biffo
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 5:20pm
Mixing it up say most will do the same

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Handy Handy wrote:

Frankfurt x 1 night
Berlin x 1 night
Torun x 4 nights
Poznan x 2 nights
Gdansk x 2 nights
Inowroclaw x 1 night
Gniezno x 1 night

Well no danger of you getting bored with any spot although the four nights in torun, you'll be itching to move on at the end of that!

Posted By: damo21
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 5:49pm
Berlin x 2 nights
Pozan x 3 nights
Torun x 1 night
Sopot x 3 nights
Pozan x 3 nights
Ukraine ??? 

-------------
he who lies down with the dog will come up with fleas

Posted By: Handy
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by elroy45 elroy45 wrote:

Originally posted by Handy Handy wrote:

Frankfurt x 1 night
Berlin x 1 night
Torun x 4 nights
Poznan x 2 nights
Gdansk x 2 nights
Inowroclaw x 1 night
Gniezno x 1 night

Well no danger of you getting bored with any spot although the four nights in torun, you'll be itching to move on at the end of that!

That was the basic list. The run of the days is:
Torun
Poznan x 2
Torun x 2
Gdansk x 2
Torun
..... So hopefully I'll be able to get the best out of all 3 places. Keeping the torun accom all through, so we don't have to bring baggage anywhere and do lots of checking out/in. Change of jeans and Tshirt for each of the 2 night stints will be loads! :)

Posted By: niall290
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 6:53pm
Berlin x 1
poznan x 2
torun x 6
poznan x 3
ukrain bound then....Dare we dream.

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

The Hayes Clan are staying in Torun for the duration

ClapClapClap

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: mitch1988
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:00pm
we are going for croatia game staying 5 nights as we flying into warsaw lodz ideal location for poznan ..its 3rd largest city in poland with great pubs etc

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Babysis Babysis wrote:

We are staying in Warsaw for 2 nights, then Poznan for for 4 nights. then off to Sopot for 4 nights then torun for 4 nights. Im happy doing it this way as its a good chance to see a few different places, but I can also see why some people ave opted for a base of their stay, its each to their own IMO.
Babysis you are spot on with what you said , there is no right or wrong way of doing this whatever rocks your boat really travel or stay in one spot it's up to you to decide .
The only major point is that you have to be in the ground on match day that's what it's all about .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:04pm
im glad our group is spending 4 nights in Gdansk and 4 nights in Torun before the respective group games.I reckon most fans will want to be in the city of the upcoming Ireland game a night or 2 before it.The atmosphere should be good

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:17pm
Poznan X 4
Torun X 4
Gdansk x 4

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:20pm
staying in torun for the duration, if something cheap turns up in gdansk may stay there on match night

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Twice_Daly
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:41pm
gdansk/sopot is where the craic will be IMO, torun is grand for saving a few bob but i dont want to limit myself to staying in one place, plan on getting in a good few places along the way. has anyone here booked for camping in gdansk/sopot yet? the beach looks class, might try spend 2 days in Hel too

-------------
NUNS ARE PEOPLE TOO

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:53pm
Based on my experience of Euro2008 you can't beat staying in host cities. One or two nights we stayed in towns away from the games and you'd hardly know there was a major tournament on except for a few out watching the matches. The whole carnival in host cities, with locals getting involved is magic. Haven't fully sorted accommodation yet as hoping something cheaper or more comfortable pops up but we have provisionally booked in Poznan and Gdansk.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:58pm
nothing against Torun because i havent been to poland yet and only going by the info i can find online but why Torun? just seems people are raving about the place and im wondering if theres something iv missed. each to their own but just wondering if anyone has been here before or what has lads on a horn about it? might try get here for one or two days if its worth a look

-------------
NUNS ARE PEOPLE TOO

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

Based on my experience of Euro2008 you can't beat staying in host cities. One or two nights we stayed in towns away from the games and you'd hardly know there was a major tournament on except for a few out watching the matches. The whole carnival in host cities, with locals getting involved is magic. Haven't fully sorted accommodation yet as hoping something cheaper or more comfortable pops up but we have provisionally booked in Poznan and Gdansk.

the best post i've seen on this forum.we ll be in gdansk the 3 nights before the spain game but torun is going to be the place to be before the italy game in poznan because the majority of the irish fans will be there

-------------

Posted By: IrishLodz
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 12:13am
There will be a few of us alright. A few Irish residents dragging friends & family along. Give us a shout closer to time and we can meet up for a few. 

Posted By: wicklowrunner
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Twice_Daly Twice_Daly wrote:

nothing against Torun because i havent been to poland yet and only going by the info i can find online but why Torun? just seems people are raving about the place and im wondering if theres something iv missed. each to their own but just wondering if anyone has been here before or what has lads on a horn about it? might try get here for one or two days if its worth a look
The reason I'm staying in Torun:
It's between Poznan & Gdansk
It's cheap & reasonable
It has good train connections
It's not ripping us off
It seems a nice city
Glennstandish is very helpful
I'm not on a HORN!!!!
TorunThumbs Up

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:03pm
It was the best and most reasonable place to stay perfectly positioned for travel to both games . We got 12 nights b & b for €232 do we jumped at it.

Have checked it out since with poles who live and work on Galway and everyone who had been there said we had made the perfect decision and then one of my friends whose family had bought large farms in Poland told me it was the most beautiful city in Poland and the bars and restaurants were far more reasonable than the ones in poznan and gdansk . Torun is 3 times the size of Galway so it's not a country town as some posters on here have been saying .

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:07pm

football would be a bigger deal in Poland than either Austria/Switzerland. Having said that I aint paying stupid money just to stay in host citys any more than I have to ie match day. Any other time I have a decent enough deal ie 15/16 in Gdansk but Poznan/Gdansk havent done them selves any favours 

Saying than spending any time in a 'Euro2012 fan zone' drinking carlsberg/budweiser (piss) in a plastic glass has little attaction but each to their own

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: MJD
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:10pm

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

150e each for petrol
150e campsite accom
actually an extra 100e for 2nights in dusseldorf and accom and whatever the lovely lady costs are

150e for campsote accom even though 10 of your nights are in poznan/gdansk?!? If you actually get accomm this cheap please let me know where!! 50e a night each is the cheapest I've seen for a camper in Poznan or Gdansk - based on four of us in a camper.

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:17pm

You're not comparing like with like. We have one of the biggest travelling contingents, so big that there'll be a buzz in many cities and certainly Torun. Having said that Id prefer to be staying in the host cities but Id rather pay 180 quid for a central hotel in Torun for 12 nights, which I have done, than spend mad money in Poznan or Gdansk which would rule astana and Budapest out for me.

Im still on the look out for reasonably priced accom in Gdansk and Poznan for the night before and night of the games but if it doesnt turn up so be it. One positive about Torun is there's likely to be a lot less clowns around than will most definitely be flooding Poznan and Gdansk. Another is that we wont be moving every 2 days hurling bags around, getting turfed out of your hotel at midday, pain in the arse if you ask me.

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

You're not comparing like with like. We have one of the biggest travelling contingents, so big that there'll be a buzz in many cities and certainly Torun. Having said that Id prefer to be staying in the host cities but Id rather pay 180 quid for a central hotel in Torun for 12 nights, which I have done, than spend mad money in Poznan or Gdansk which would rule astana and Budapest out for me.

Im still on the look out for reasonably priced accom in Gdansk and Poznan for the night before and night of the games but if it doesnt turn up so be it. One positive about Torun is there's likely to be a lot less clowns around than will most definitely be flooding Poznan and Gdansk. Another is that we wont be moving every 2 days hurling bags around, getting turfed out of your hotel at midday, pain in the arse if you ask me.

Agree kerzy, that the large Irish contingent in adjacent cities will create an atmosphere in them towns.
I'm still optimistic reasonably priced rooms will appear
In host cities... Otherwise we'll probably just be staying the night before and of the game in host cities
And elsewhere in between.
Was just giving my experience of Austria and particularly Switzerland
But I suppose that could've been down to the less excitable national
Character of those countries also.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:58am
Originally posted by MJD MJD wrote:

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

150e each for petrol
150e campsite accom

150e for campsote accom even though 10 of your nights are in poznan/gdansk?!? If you actually get accomm this cheap please let me know where!! 50e a night each is the cheapest I've seen for a camper in Poznan or Gdansk - based on four of us in a camper.

this place in gdansk working out at about 20e a night, original plan was 3nights there but staying an extra night. will probably end up in lake malta in poznan and still tryna get 2 nights in torun.
http://www.przystanukostka.pl/

place for campervan/60 PLN per day 
> - every person/30 PLN per day
> - electrical hook up/10 PLN per day .

require 50% up front

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:11am
All our matchs are 8:45 p.m. Polish time. There is no need to be there the night before the games. You can easily get to both Poznan and Gdansk by midday on the match days from Torun. I don't see the premium as being worth it, frankly.

-------------

Posted By: MJD
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:13am

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

150e each for petrol
150e campsite accom

this place in gdansk working out at about 20e a night, original plan was 3nights there but staying an extra night. will probably end up in lake malta in poznan and still tryna get 2 nights in torun.

require 50% up front

You're some man...!! Thanks!!

Do they seem genuine enough to be paying a deposit then? And what's the craic with getting back to these sites after a night on the lash after a match, do trains run all night or can we get taxis or what?

I looked at Malta and that was about 50e each a night, isn't that what you found?

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:38am

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

150e each for petrol
150e campsite accom

require 50% up front

You're some man...!! Thanks!!

Do they seem genuine enough to be paying a deposit then? And what's the craic with getting back to these sites after a night on the lash after a match, do trains run all night or can we get taxis or what?

I looked at Malta and that was about 50e each a night, isn't that what you found?

they have been handy to deal with email regular enough and most places i hear from others on here that they look for deposit. i did it in the bank myself so have the paper trail anyway. there was another place in gdansk offering similiar price to lake malta and is right beside beach but this place saves us about 30e each. not too sure about distance from gdansk center but id say taxis wouldnt be a problem

malta  One night costs:
50PLN per each person
200PLN per camper

so 200/3=63+50=113z is about 30e a night!! dunno where getting 50e.

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:10am
Emailing several places over the last few days...  Have places booked for meself but 2 more are now coming and there seems to be nothing for cheap out there..

Posted By: dreamer
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 7:55am
going to try spend a few night in sopot seems the biz

-------------
every dog has there day

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:27am
No need to stay in the host cities for atmosphere imo.  Irish will be everywhere.

I'm staying in Lodz for convenience and access to Group A games.  torun will most liekly be the ebst place for Irish fans but I think Bydgoszcz is still a great option if you can't book Torun. 

Fans stay everywhere for these tournaments and I don't think you miss anything by not staying in the host cities.  Sure stay up the night of the game but with 5am trains and all night opening be careful what you pay for your room.   

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:33am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

No need to stay in the host cities for atmosphere imo.  Irish will be everywhere.

I'm staying in Lodz for convenience and access to Group A games.  torun will most liekly be the ebst place for Irish fans but I think Bydgoszcz is still a great option if you can't book Torun. 

Fans stay everywhere for these tournaments and I don't think you miss anything by not staying in the host cities.  Sure stay up the night of the game but with 5am trains and all night opening be careful what you pay for your room.   

my thoughts exactly.we re only staying 2 nights out of 16 in host cities but we ll be in different places relatively close to whatever city ireland is playing in the build up to each game.

-------------

Posted By: TBWRA
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:42am

Would imagine Sopot and Gdansk will be the most popular resorts as there are beeches there that would certainly swing it for me ahead of Poznan and Torun .

-------------
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"

Posted By: bci
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:19pm
I agree, Bydgoszcz is a very good option: D welcome to our special http://www.facebook.com/pages/Welcome-to-Bydgoszcz/349671501717933#!/pages/Welcome-to-Bydgoszcz/349671501717933?sk=wall" rel="nofollow - profile on Facebook, created for fans of Ireland
Please also visit our http://www.visitbydgoszcz.pl/index.php/en/component/simpleads/?task=showlist" rel="nofollow - website where you can find a list of hotels in Bydgoszcz.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:36pm
Torun campsite

Camper -                                          28,50 zł per day
Each person -                                     9,00 zł per day
Childrens (up to 10 years old) -         5,00 zł per day
Electricity -                                      18,00  zł per day.

Posted By: dutchy15
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 4:22pm
fans are gonna be everywhere lads. It has to be said though Torun appears to be the place that makes most sense for all reasons mentioned thus far. Mainly its cheaper,suppossed to be lovely city(have heard this from Polish people who I have met). We are driving over so we gonna head away for day trips from Torun and see different places so not as if we gonna stay in Torun the whole time. Will check out host cities on match days so getting taste of the lot so happy out with plan of action. Yes, yes its true i am slightly excited about June and iI didnt even mention football in my post. Here come the goos times...

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

It's cheap & reasonable
It's not ripping us off
It seems a nice city
I'm not on a HORN!!!!
TorunThumbs Up

good to hear LOL some people seem to be by the way they're going on, just wanted to see did i miss something

-------------
NUNS ARE PEOPLE TOO

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:38pm

It was the best and most reasonable place to stay perfectly positioned for travel to both games . We got 12 nights b & b for €232 do we jumped at it.

Have checked it out since with poles who live and work on Galway and everyone who had been there said we had made the perfect decision and then one of my friends whose family had bought large farms in Poland told me it was the most beautiful city in Poland and the bars and restaurants were far more reasonable than the ones in poznan and gdansk . Torun is 3 times the size of Galway so it's not a country town as some posters on here have been saying .

serious value in fairness.
just wanted to know did someone get proper advice on the place and not just go by what the internet says. None of my polish friends know much about Torun so thats why i was more in favour of going to Gdansk/sopot/gdynia

will defo consider staying here for maybe 2 nights one before and one after the spain game. want to see as much of poland as i can fit in.

-------------
NUNS ARE PEOPLE TOO

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 9:17pm
i reckon i know about 30 other lads going who are not members of YBIG and they are all staying in the host cities,  i reckon Torun will be good for those who are staying there but i think the atmosphere has to be better in the host cities. as for drink being a euro dearer or cheaper in different cities im pretty sure that every city will have both expensive and regular prices and its just a matter of finding them.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 9:34pm

just wanted to know did someone get proper advice on the place and not just go by what the internet says. None of my polish friends know much about Torun so thats why i was more in favour of going to Gdansk/sopot/gdynia

will defo consider staying here for maybe 2 nights one before and one after the spain game. want to see as much of poland as i can fit in.

think most people are staying in at least 2 or 3 locations, but there is a fine line between visiting different places and constantly shifting

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

think most people are staying in at least 2 or 3 locations, but there is a fine line between visiting different places and constantly shifting

nothing wrong with a bit of shifting! Smile il see what way things works out distance wise when iv time to work out a route. if Torun is handy for breaking up the journey between poznan and gdansk il squeeze it in, if not im happy to just base myself in host cities and get trains etc. to visit places

-------------
NUNS ARE PEOPLE TOO

Posted By: odysseus
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:57pm
wicklowrunner wrote:

It's between Poznan & Gdansk - you can't be pregnant in half only
It's cheap & reasonable  - a MYTH - I gave links to cheaper accommodations in Gdans Metropol. TriCity  - despite the proximity of the stadium and unparalleled attractiveness in Gdansk
It has good train connections -  from Gdansk will be available cheap train to Poznan  - back to Gdansk on the same day
It's not ripping us off
It seems a nice city - right , if you need calm and immobility
I'm not on a HORN!!!!

Torun - nice place to stay - no doubts Thumbs Up
have such a great experience in events, and everything

Posted By: mitch1988
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 10:39pm
lodz hotels are been booked up does anyone know what other fanz are using it as a base for euro 2012

Posted By: makgidi
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm
We're staying in Poznan on the 6th
Wroclaw 7th-9th - might try catch the Russia - Czech Republic game
Poznan 9th-12th
Sopot 12th - 16th
Poznan 16th-20th.

Then maybe head to Berlin or Krakow for a couple of days.

Posted By: dreamer
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:35pm
im doing 3 nights poznan 4 nights sopot 3 nights poznan,had torun booked but knocked it on the head

-------------
every dog has there day

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 1:14pm
If I can help it I won't be in Torun. 

Ideally chillin in Sopot with the beach but costs are a big factor

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:25pm
Whats the big deal with Torun? We arent playing there, so f**k torun. Mullingar of Poland.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: Barna Bee
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:30pm

exactly , why would you want to go there ....bet there will be regrets about staying there ....would people not want to be where the stadiums are ?

Having said all that the accommodation costs for poznan in prticular are a complete p1sstake ...outrageous ....£328 to share a room in a kippy hostel on the night of the 1st game ....no chance ....I am only there for the night but I can think of better things to be doing with that amount of cash ...I believe that the bars don't close

-------------
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Whats the big deal with Torun? We arent playing there, so f**k torun. Mullingar of Poland.

Hah. I'd imagine if Ireland ever hosted a tournament and there were groups based around Galway and Dublin, Athlone and Mullingar would be the equivalent of Torun for two weeks.

The big deal is it's far cheaper than elsewhere, it's between Poznan and Gdansk, it has good transport links to those two cities (well, by rail anyway, not to mention steve amsterdam's buses), it's already a tourist-focused, historic town (a UNESCO world heritage site, unlike Mullingar, you have to admit), there are thousands of Irish fans staying there, it involves the same amount or less travel as basing yourself in Gdansk, Sopot or Poznan and it allows the opportunity to spend a couple of days away from the tournament if people feel like it.

But mostly it's because it's cheaper.

-------------

Posted By: Biffo
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 5:42pm
Born to run

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 5:46pm
I'll be on the beach in gdansk for 5 days anyway! Not avoiding cows in torun

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 10:11pm
50/50 between Poznan and Gdansk for us. No interest in Torun. Not gonna be that much cheaper really once ya factor everything in

Posted By: harry
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by makgidi makgidi wrote:

We're staying in Poznan on the 6th
Wroclaw 7th-9th - might try catch the Russia - Czech Republic game
Poznan 9th-12th
Sopot 12th - 16th
Poznan 16th-20th.

Then maybe head to Berlin or Krakow for a couple of days.

wish i had time off like ye Cry

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:48pm
we re going to be 4 nights in Gdansk for spain match and 4 nights in torun so we ll get the best of both atmospheres rather than just staying in the one place

-------------

Posted By: Boston Hoop
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 1:21am
3 nights in Poznan / 4 in Sopot / 3 nights in Poznan... but I wouldn't criticise anyone for chosing Torun. Costs are everything these days but most of all, if there is more than 50 Irish in any one pub, it'll feel like Grand Central... I imagine many of nights will be spent standing outside pubs so you may as well be anywhere!

Posted By: toruntips.com
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 1:59pm

Why Toruń? Because it's a simply beautiful city...full of charm!! Have been living here for 9 years and have travelled extensively around Poland. Toruń is the place to be for sure!!!

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by TBWRA TBWRA wrote:

Would imagine Sopot and Gdansk will be the most popular resorts as there are beeches there that would certainly swing it for me ahead of Poznan and Torun .

There are no beaches in Gdańsk!!! It has a harbour if you want to dodge the boats! Sopot does indeed have a beach but in summer it'll be packed!! The Poles flock to the seaside when the weather is good...and this is the result:

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

It's cheap & reasonable
It's not ripping us off
It seems a nice city
I'm not on a HORN!!!!
TorunThumbs Up

Thanks wicklowrunner...glad to be of help!!! Toruń is looking forward to welcoming all the Irish fans this summer. You won't be disappointed! You'll have a warm welcome here...and get to see a little more of Poland as well. ENJOY!!

Posted By: Forza2
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by toruntips.com toruntips.com wrote:

There are no beaches in Gdańsk!!! It has a harbour if you want to dodge the boats! Sopot does indeed have a beach but in summer it'll be packed!! The Poles flock to the seaside when the weather is good...and this is the result:

..and at seaside tourists attack trains !

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:44pm

You wouldn't a be a bit biased, of course.

Google images doesn't show the beaches packed. 
http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=909&q=sopot+beach&gbv=2&oq=sopot+beach&aq=f&aqi=g1g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=1144l5030l0l6968l11l11l0l3l3l0l144l679l7.1l8l0&gs_l=img.12..0j0i24.1144l5030l0l6969l11l11l0l3l3l0l144l679l7j1l8l0" rel="nofollow - http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=909&q=sopot+beach&gbv=2&oq=sopot+beach&aq=f&aqi=g1g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=1144l5030l0l6968l11l11l0l3l3l0l144l679l7.1l8l0&gs_l=img.12..0j0i24.1144l5030l0l6969l11l11l0l3l3l0l144l679l7j1l8l0

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=909&q=sopot+beach&gbv=2&oq=sopot+beach&aq=f&aqi=g1g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=1144l5030l0l6968l11l11l0l3l3l0l144l679l7.1l8l0&gs_l=img.12..0j0i24.1144l5030l0l6969l11l11l0l3l3l0l144l679l7j1l8l0" rel="nofollow - http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=909&q=sopot+beach&gbv=2&oq=sopot+beach&aq=f&aqi=g1g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=1144l5030l0l6968l11l11l0l3l3l0l144l679l7.1l8l0&gs_l=img.12..0j0i24.1144l5030l0l6969l11l11l0l3l3l0l144l679l7j1l8l0
I particularly like the brazzers at the party.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 3:00pm
People having an argument over where is the best city to stay. Are ye serious?Sleepy

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

People having an argument over where is the best city to stay. Are ye serious?Sleepy
At the end of the day lads you're coming to have a fab time and enjoy the footie. All 3 places (Toruń, Gdańsk and Poznan) are wonderful and you'll have fun in any of them!!

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

By the way Poles don't wear swim shorts!!! Speedoes are still very much in fashion!!!! LOL

Posted By: Whelo79
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 4:25pm

By the way Poles don't wear swim shorts!!! Speedoes are still very much in fashion!!!! LOL

Best go out and buy a few new banana hammocks so Sick

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Whelo79 Whelo79 wrote:

If I wanted a beach Holiday I wouldnt be heading to Poland.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:15pm
at the risk of repeating myself.... Torun my utter hole

Gdansk , sopot , gdynia all the way

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: soccerc
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

at the risk of repeating myself....

I'll be trying to get my hole Gdansk , sopot , gdynia any way

LOL

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:39pm
My town is better than your town.  Shower of gimps, say the f**k wherever you want to stay and be happy with it and make your own craic.  If you fancy Gdanks fair play, if you fancy Sopot fair play if you fancy Torun fair play too. 

Shower of gimps. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

My town is better than your town.  Shower of gimps, say the f**k wherever you want to stay and be happy with it and make your own craic.  If you fancy Gdanks fair play, if you fancy Sopot fair play if you fancy Torun fair play too. 

Shower of gimps. 

Completely agree! All 3 towns have positive aspects. You won't be disappointed with any of them!

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 7:48pm

I wouldn't wanna be anywhere near a beach for this trip! hate beaches unless having a few drinks, which you can't do in Poland i would presume

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 7:50pm

Originally posted by Whelo79 Whelo79 wrote:

If I wanted a beach Holiday I wouldnt be heading to Poland.

The Baltic coast is lovely at that time of year. Sure Baltic is a byword for hot sun destination holiday here: see "it's f**king baltic out" = "the weather is splendidly warm".

-------------

Posted By: irish boogie
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 10:08pm
My main aim is the cheapest possible way to see 3 Games and enjoy a bit of the country we in without being ripped off , been to a world cup and stayed outside of host cities and had great time its what u make of it.

-------------
Thank You Torun and Tyskie

Posted By: scaldy
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 10:16pm
End of the day, its two weeks away with your mates/missus/family. Drinks at night, bit of food, some sightseeing and a healthy dose of football in between. As long as you fit all of those in who gives a sh*t where you're staying.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by scaldy scaldy wrote:

End of the day, its two weeks away with your mates/missus/family. Drinks at night, bit of food, some sightseeing and a healthy dose of football in between. As long as you fit all of those in who gives a sh*t where you're staying.

+ 1Thumbs Up

Posted By: Boston Hoop
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 1:39am

Originally posted by scaldy scaldy wrote:

+ 1Thumbs Up

Amen to that... 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net