Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=35718
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 3:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Arsene Wenger
Posted By: Double Maxim
Subject: Arsene Wenger
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 6:35am
Being touted as the next Real Madrid Manager again.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Replies:
Posted By: Drumaville
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 10:26am
Arsenal fans are starting to rebel againt Wegner.

-------------
Double Maxim draught in the Derry pub now you are talking.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 10:32am

Graham Hunter on this morning saying Wenger has met with Perez over the years but turned them down

Really can't understand why Real fans are unhappy with Mourinho. Poor timing to start booing their manager, 5 clear in the league and still in the champions league

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Graham Hunter on this morning saying Wenger has met with Perez over the years but turned them down

Really can't understand why Real fans are unhappy with Mourinho. Poor timing to start booing their manager, 5 clear in the league and still in the champions league

Ye i think thats pretty much common knowledge alright

Apparently he has advised them on several signings- beckham being one

Really cant see him taking over at madrid he wouldnt have anywhere near the control he has at arsenal but stranger things have happened i suppose

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 8:19pm

This.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 6:42am
More speculation about Wegner going to RM on talksport this morning.

-------------

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 7:58am
Do you work for ts or something dm? How many times does it need to be pointed out that they talk complete bollocks!

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Posted By: Siralex
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:56am
TalkSport don't have reporters...they just discuss what has been reported.

-------------
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

Do you work for ts or something dm? How many times does it need to be pointed out that they talk complete bollocks!

Chill out FFS they werre going through the sports papers with a journo.

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 12:30pm
Deserves a mention as he is about to break the record for the number of Premier league games managed.
Currently on 810 Premier league games, tied with Fergie.

Nobody in the EPL will ever stay that long again with one club. Just wont happen.

He gave Arsenal fans a decade of top football. From 97 to 06 they played some of the best football seen in the premier league and they should be thankful for that.
3 league titles
4 FA cups

Financially they just couldn't (or wouldnt) compete with Chelsea and Man U and then City later on.
I think he should of went in 2014 when he delivered his 5th FA cup. Go out on a high.

His main failure was in Europe. That team should have done better in that decade above.

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 1:00pm
Agree with all the above.

Single handedly changed the face of English football.

Arsene who ?

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Although I don't like him myself (always thought him smarmy and smug), I think much of the credit should go to David Dein for identifying Wenger in the first place, going out on a limb to make an appointment which was very unusual for the time, and then backing him all the way after he arrived.

The bastard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dein" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dein

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 8:31pm

https://www.google.co.uk/url?url=https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/arsene-wengers-marathon-stay-at-arsenal-will-never-be-repeated-david-oleary-36444298.html&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwib08rUh7DYAhUIfFAKHe3KBvMQqQIILzAJ&usg=AOvVaw1fEy9dj6VRQMaADVEEUsFG" rel="nofollow - Arsene Wenger's marathon stay at Arsenal will never be repeated - David O'Leary

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Although I don't like him myself (always thought him smarmy and smug), I think much of the credit should go to David Dein for identifying Wenger in the first place, going out on a limb to make an appointment which was very unusual for the time, and then backing him all the way after he arrived.

The bastard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dein" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dein

Always felt he's been the biggest loss to the club over the last decade. I think Wenger has never really been the same since he left in terms of signing players, Ozil and Sanchez aside.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:10pm
No the wonder AW is lvid with that peno award.

-------------

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 4:37pm
3 match ban for his comments about the ref

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

3 match ban for his comments about the ref
I can see another possible ban on the cards after today's events.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 5:51pm
Well Arsenal’s first goal came from a ridiculous dive

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:01pm

Well Arsenal’s first goal came from a ridiculous dive
Apparently Wenger didn't see it.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:03pm
For a team defending their trophy, that selected line up, and lack of experience on the bench, showed a serious lack of ambition to retain it.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

For a team defending their trophy, that selected line up, and lack of experience on the bench, showed a serious lack of ambition to retain it.
Exactly.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 3:29pm
Who's to blame this time?

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Write off this season. They should have sold Sanchez and Ozil in the summer and started to rebuild.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Write off this season. They should have sold Sanchez and Ozil in the summer and started to rebuild.

They knew both wanted to leave so should have off loaded both for 100M or so.
Still have a decent squad just missing some quality.
Definitely the weakest of the top 6.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
According to Wenger, Sanchez will most likely be gone from Arsenal in the next 48 hours, where he'll end up is still a mystery though!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:10pm

Only the FA Cup, League Cup semis and Europa knockouts to look forward to. Lets just write off the season.

People who think Arsenal are in a crisis (mainly their own fans) make me sick like.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Only the FA Cup, League Cup semis and Europa knockouts to look forward to. Lets just write off the season.

People who think Arsenal are in a crisis (mainly their own fans) make me sick like.

Arsenal are out of the FA Cup...

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Forrest have been rename the Gunners LOL

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:37pm

Forgot about that! 
But it doesn't change the point really, still 2 trophies to play for, a semi-final in 1 of them and calling it a crisis. It's like 2 years ago when they were calling it a crisis and they actually won a trophy that season, sickening fans.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Forrest have been rename the Gunners LOL
Renamed twice in one sentence!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:11pm
Don't think Arsenal fans care too much for the league cup. Ok if they go into win the europa it would be a good season. At the moment though it doesn't look like they will as some strong teams in that.
The best thing they can do is get rid of the bad eggs now, bring in fresh faces and give the europa and top 4 a last bash. I think wenger is gone if he doesn't deliver one of them.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:15pm
He should be gone any way. Can't see them beating both Chelsea and City to win the cup (although they did last year to win the FA Cup), although they should make an attempt, it's the only domestic competition he hasnt won. Time to go all out for the EL because there isnt a hope of making CL otherwise.

He always bangs on about leaving Arsenal in better shape than when he took over. Both himself, and the board, are failing miserably at that.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 10:12pm

Wenger decided to keep both of them so that they would play so well that they'd finish well up the table and he wouldn't be helping a rival. That's his decision to make, but it's looking like it has back fired badly, Sanchez been sold in January to possibly Man Utd that's a farce and he hasn't played very for them either. So. - 60million and wages

Ozil has played very well and will in all likelihood be leaving in the Summer, so unless he wins the Europa Cup then this season looks like a total failure. Neutral

And finally Oxlaide Chamberlain doing well at Liverpool, after numerous years of looking like a player with great potential, makes Wenger's management skills look dated. + 35m but you look like a bad manager

2019 he will still be managing themLOL

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 5:32am

Arsene Wenger called referee Mike Dean "not honest" and "a disgrace" after the Gunners' 1-1 draw at West Brom on New Year's Eve, the Football Association has revealed.

"He was very aggressive leaning towards me, pointing aggressively at me saying: 'You're not honest' on numerous occasions.

"I replied: 'So you're calling me a cheat.' He replied: 'I maintain what I say, you're not honest.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 1:55pm
Has AW got a point or is he just covering himself?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42916936&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj4vY_6sIfZAhUBKFAKHbVDDnsQqQIIFzAA&usg=AOvVaw3QBozemt-M8Uxq3oFxEsAI" rel="nofollow - Arsene Wenger: Arsenal boss says Europe's 'big five' leagues 'being destroyed'

-------------

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 1:59pm
Doubt he'd be saying it if Arsenal were 15 points clear

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 1:59pm
Typical Wenger sour grapes.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 2:04pm
Haven't you got bigger concerns Arsene?

-------------

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 3:38pm

Haven't you got bigger concerns Arsene?

I don't think he really has. His hunger for the club management side of things is clearly gone, or just gone totally stale at Arsenal. I'd love to be proved wrong and see him win a title at Arsenal if he was there for the next couple of years, but obviously that's hugely unlikely.

As it is, a move to manage another club might give him the boost he needs. Or else into football administration dealing with things such as FFP, which tbf to him he has always had plenty to say on going back years.

I agree with him to an extent on how the bigger leagues are ruined now. This is nothing new though. There is a cartel at the top of European football for a long time now, pushing everything in  a direction that suits the few at the top. More of the rich get richer, while the poor get poorer. They founded their own g14 group of elite clubs over 20 years ago (G14 getting replaced by newer incarnations as the years went on). So those vested interests have been driving things in the direction we now are for a long long time.

On Wenger and Arsenal though, they are one of those vested interests at the very top of the game. They have helped create this CL top 10/20 clubs monopoly all over Europe that will be incredibly hard to break for decades to come. it just hasn't panned out exactly how they and Wenger would like and his real gripe here is that on club finances alone, without benefactors pouring funds in, Arsenal could be at the very top of the European clubs competing for the past decade. So it's a purely selfish point of view in that sense.

Football at the top level in Europe is f*cked in that sense. The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer. If FFP came in with a hard line at this point in time, it would probably make football even more monopolised at the top. Letting benefactors poor money into clubs is about the only thing that now keeps football at the top level any bit interesting.

TLDR, football at Europes top level is f*cked either way, so might as well let clubs spend gazillions of private owners money to prop certain teams up.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 3:49pm
There have been 4 different winners of the EPL in the last 5 seasons.
La Liga has always been won by either Barca or Real since the turn of the century, bar the odd surprise package like Valencia or Atletico. Barca and Real are the two biggest clubs in the world and will continue to alternate as champions every couple of years you would imagine. Nothing new here.

The Serie A title race is close and will be exciting hopefully.

PSG and Bayern are just too big for their domestic rivals to compete with and will continue to dominate as they have done for the past few seasons. Not enough strength in depth in those nations leagues.  

Its just happens to have occurred this year that 4 of the 5 big leagues seem over by January. No big thing to worry about, I'm sure City and Barca will not be as far clear this time next season. Its up to Real, Man United, Chelsea and Wenger's own club to catch up.
Its not as if City are just about to make it 5 in a row or something.
Just another thing for Wenger to whinge and moan about.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Doubt he'd be saying it if Arsenal were 15 points clear

In fairness it doesn't mean he hasn't a point.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 4:19pm
Would like to see Arsene get the France job, International football should suit him fine and he's a much better manager than that fraud Deschamps.

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 4:24pm
As an Arsenal supporter I can not stand this man. Aboute arrogance from him. He is the most finished football manager in world football. He single handily is making me lose interest in club football. Can’t wait until he leaves.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 4:31pm
If he said the French and German leagues I would agree with him.

It looks like PSG are going to dominate the French league for a long time. This season will be 5 wins out of 6. It took an exceptional Monaco team to win one title.
Would you be surprised if PSG won the next 5 leagues??  

Bayern have just won the last 5 and you could see them winning the next 5.

The EPL is really competitive now. No team has won back to back titles for about 10 seasons.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 3:36pm

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/923137484?-19065:7985" rel="nofollow - Why Arsene Wenger will not be happy at all with the referee chosen for Spurs vs Arsenal   http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Arsenal/Arsene+Wenger#" rel="nofollow -

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 7:34pm
Wenger bizarrely saying he wouldn't use the Europa League to get Arsenal into the CL. Well how else are they going to qualify for it?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:37pm

Wenger bizarrely saying he wouldn't use the Europa League to get Arsenal into the CL. Well how else are they going to qualify for it?

And now Lacazette is out for 6 weeks, Aubameyang is not eligible and Grioud is sitting on Chelsea's bench.

That leaves Danny Welbeck to lead the attack in the Europa league.

Dortmund, Napoli, AC Milan and Atl Madrid are still in it so be tough for Arsenal to win it.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:47pm
Before those teams dropped out of the CL, I thought there was a great chance to win it. Now it's extremely unlikely.

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:51pm
Can't see Napoli taking it serious, they are solely focusing in the league, won't have a better chance to win it

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 3:24pm
I do feel this will be his last Season at Arsenal.
And for that I hope he wins on Sunday and can go out on a high.

I think it would have been better for him if Man City won last night as they will be hurting and looking to put it right in the next game.

However being the underdogs seems to suit them. They beat a strong Chelsea team last year in the FA cup final.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I think it would have been better for him if Man City won last night as they will be hurting and looking to put it right in the next game.

However being the underdogs seems to suit them. They beat a strong Chelsea team last year in the FA cup final.

And beat City in the semi final

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:08pm
Ye I had hoped City would win last night for the same reason.

City will be favourites but you never know in a one off game.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:14pm

He signed a 2 year contract. I can't see this being his last season. 

Can't see anything other than a City win irrespective of last night's result. 

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:10pm
Other than losing to Tottenham at Wembley recently, I think Arsenal had won the last 8 times at Wembley, probably have the numbers wrong but it was a very impressive record, not often you can say that with the modern Arsenal team

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:14pm
3 semi finals and finals in the FA cup in 4 years and then won the Charity Shield in 2014, 2015, and 2017 so it's probably not far off.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 3:40pm

3 semi finals and finals in the FA cup in 4 years and then won the Charity Shield in 2014, 2015, and 2017 so it's probably not far off.

When you see that record Arsenal have done well in the last 4 years.
Spurs / Liverpool would be happy with that return of trophies.

The fans are in for some shock if they think a new manager will come in and win them the league.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 4:59pm

The fans are in for some shock if they think a new manager will come in and win them the league.
Since AW's first few seasons as boss, Arsenal have gone from aiming/expecting to win the League, even the Champions League; to aiming/expecting to finish Top Four; to accepting winning the FA Cup; to this season possibly only winning the League Cup (can't write them off for the EL, but can't make them favourites, either).

By the end of this season, we'll likely see the establishment of a Top Five in the EPL, and Arsenal won't be part of it, regardless of where they actually happen to finish in the league.

Christ I've waited a long time for this! Wink

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:25pm
That's some Barna Bee levels of wishful thinking there Terri!

-------------

Posted By: Reildogg
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:33pm

Since AW's first few seasons as boss, Arsenal have gone from aiming/expecting to win the League, even the Champions League; to aiming/expecting to finish Top Four; to accepting winning the FA Cup; to this season possibly only winning the League Cup (can't write them off for the EL, but can't make them favourites, either).

By the end of this season, we'll likely see the establishment of a Top Five in the EPL, and Arsenal won't be part of it, regardless of where they actually happen to finish in the league.

Christ I've waited a long time for this! Wink

Spurs are 20 points behind City and 7 points ahead of Arsenal. No wizz with the Maths but this top 5 seems rather arbitrary..

Given everyones desire to peg things into holes, maybe a top 1; a 2nd 4; a 3rd 1; and a 4th 14?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

That's some Barna Bee levels of wishful thinking there Terri!
Now come on.

Do you honestly believe that this sweet little thing would lie to us?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

Spurs are 20 points behind City and 7 points ahead of Arsenal. No wizz with the Maths but this top 5 seems rather arbitrary..
Just ask an Arsenal fan, then:

(That was September, btw LOL)

Given everyones desire to peg things into holes, maybe a top 1; a 2nd 4; a 3rd 1; and a 4th 14?
City are all-conquering at the moment, no doubt, and PG could take them to the next level.
But people were saying the same about Chelsea and Conte as recently as 8 months ago.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 7:23pm
Arsenal Fan TV ClapLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:39pm
F*ck Arsenal Fan TV.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:41am

Can Mkhytiran play on Sunday or is he cup tied?

I assume Aubemeyang can play?

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:56am

Can Mkhytiran play on Sunday or is he cup tied?

I assume Aubemeyang can play?

Mkhytaryan is cup tied. Pretty sure Aubameyang will play

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Reildogg
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:01am

Just ask an Arsenal fan, then:

(That was September, btw LOL)

City are all-conquering at the moment, no doubt, and PG could take them to the next level.
But people were saying the same about Chelsea and Conte as recently as 8 months ago.

Were they really? 7 months ago Chelsea were third favourites for the title...

My main point was that - for weird 'grouping' purposes - Spurs would seem be the placed in one with Arsenal than City.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:19pm
How long now before he goes? It's a sad sight seeing him stand over such utter garbage on the pitch. Some of the players he has at the club, gutless would be the best description.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:23pm
Shocking how this man is still in charge. Really killing me, has done for about 3/4 years now. They are probably the worst team outside of England we have played under his reign and we get beat 2-1 at home. We won’t win on Sunday, out of the FA cup. Not gonna win the Europa league and top 4 won’t happen. Yet he will still keep his job.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Shocking how this man is still in charge. Really killing me, has done for about 3/4 years now. They are probably the worst team outside of England we have played under his reign and we get beat 2-1 at home. We won’t win on Sunday, out of the FA cup. Not gonna win the Europa league and top 4 won’t happen. Yet he will still keep his job.
I agree I think all of the above will happen, except possibly Wenger staying at the end of it. It's still hard to see him being pushed by the board, but there may come a point where he's just tired of being over an also ran football side.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:40pm
Arsenal surprised me by beating both City and Chelsea in the fa cup last season but I wonder would City and Chelsea in some way had seen them as a soft touch and were a bit complacent.Both would have been favourites for those games. 

Tonight's result doesn't matter as they got through and if they happen to beat City, no-one will care about tonight. They got the goal back  meaning the other crowd had to score 2 and it was job done.  

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:50pm
They are regressing again this season though. As bad as they were last year, they finished the league in a battle for 4th, and won the Cup. They'll finish 6th this season and about 30 points off the league winners! It's worse and worse they are getting under Wenger, even though they've brought in a few good players recently. I can see City murdering them Sunday and in the league fixture a fee days later

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:32pm
No matter what way you look at it, that was an embarrassing result. Hopefully it serves as a kick up the @rse ahead of Sunday. City are a far better side than they were last year though, and Arsenal are arguably weaker.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:09pm

My main point was that - for weird 'grouping' purposes - Spurs would seem be the placed in one with Arsenal than City.
Only on paper.

In every other respect, Spurs are going one way (upwards) and Arsenal are going the other (downwards).

And whilst these things can always change (eg Spurs lose Poch, Arsenal appoint Ancellotti or similar), it's at least as likely to continue (eg Spurs keep Poch and Wenger clings on further)

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Tonight's result doesn't matter as they got through and if they happen to beat City, no-one will care about tonight.
It mattered enough to Arsenal fans for them to boo them off at H-T and then again at F-T.

At least, those who turned up:
"The attendance given was 58,405, and unless seat fancy dress was made compulsory only about half of those tickets sold were taken up."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/arsenal-1-2-ostersunds-fk-12072603" rel="nofollow - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/arsenal-1-2-ostersunds-fk-12072603

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:11pm
One north london club, with an exciting manager relatively new to English football getting the best out of a young and improving team made up of a blend of English players and foreign talent that may have been overlooked elsewhere prior to signing, the other north london club a stagnant "giant" harking back to past glories but now routinely inferior to their local rivals.

They've definitely switched places over the last fifteen years.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:16pm
I think this will be a close game. Wenger has a good record at Wembley.

Man City have won just two of their last ten matches against the Gunners in all competitions, including FA Cup semi-final defeat at Wembley last season, despite leading in that game.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:09pm

Wenger has a good record at Wembley.
He lost last time out. Wink

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:22pm
Surely that will do him now at the end of the season
He’ll only take that club down further if he stays any longer

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:32pm

Surely that will do him now at the end of the season 
I believe he's under contract until the end of season 2018/19.

If so, I suspect his ego means they'll have to sack him if they want him out before then - or pay him a shed load of money to let them call it a "retirement".

He’ll only take that club down further if he stays any longer

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 8:26pm
If he has a job tomorrow I’m done with football.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 8:29pm
he is a joke.  He will probably spend 60 million on some French striker though. That will fix everything.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 8:34pm
They should get rid now ffs. Ancelloti is available so not as if there's no one out there

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 11:35pm
Didn't see the game, but followed it on the radio, web etc.

As a Spurs fan, this was just about the perfect result: another embarrassment for The Arse, which puts paid to whatever slim chance they had of Top Four.

At the same time, AW can continue to delude himself that they didn't play that badly/that M.City would have done that to all the other top teams/that the 2nd half was better/that Boomerang converting the penalty could have seen a comeback etc etc etc.

Which should mean he'll cling on until they prise the keys to the Emirates from his bony fingers, bundle him into a taxi and instruct the cabbie to take him to the nearest international airport.

But hopefully not for another season. (Two seasons would surely be to much to hope for.) LOL

Now I'm off to ArsenalFanTV, currently better than The Comedy Channel, Saturday Night Live and Monty Python combined. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 11:59pm

Didn't see the game, but followed it on the radio, web etc.

As a Spurs fan, this was just about the perfect result: another embarrassment for The Arse, which puts paid to whatever slim chance they had of Top Four.

At the same time, AW can continue to delude himself that they didn't play that badly/that M.City would have done that to all the other top teams/that the 2nd half was better/that Boomerang converting the penalty could have seen a comeback etc etc etc.

Which should mean he'll cling on until they prise the keys to the Emirates from his bony fingers, bundle him into a taxi and instruct the cabbie to take him to the nearest international airport.

But hopefully not for another season. (Two seasons would surely be to much to hope for.) LOL

Now I'm off to ArsenalFanTV, currently better than The Comedy Channel, Saturday Night Live and Monty Python combined. Thumbs Up

Love that channel when they lose. Their revenues are going to plummet when Arsene goes. 

I think if he qualifies them for the CL through winning the Europa, the board will definitely give him another year. They're certainly not the sacking type LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:04am

Jamie Carragher and Danny Murphy both saying Wenger should be sacked difficult to argue against that but will the Gooners board get rid of him in the Summer?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:36pm
I'd hope the Arsenal board do the right thing and let him 'leave' rather than being sacked.
He is their most successful and longest serving manager.

He should be moved upstairs and given some kind of role within the club.
He really should have left after any one of the 3 FA cups wins recently.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:37pm
1-0 down already

-------------

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:42pm

I'd hope the Arsenal board do the right thing and let him 'leave' rather than being sacked.

I used to think like this before, but he has had the chance to do the right thing with a few years now, but has been too stubborn to do it, and it's cost the club massively. If they sacked him, he could have no complaints.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

1-0 down already
2 0 now the 34 year old Glenn Murray with the headed goal.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:00pm
He shouldn’t be able to choose his date to stand down anymore

The board has to sack him now, or at least come out saying he’s going in the summer

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:04pm
If this was any aspiring top 4 Manager they'd be sacked by now. 
Conte is the reigning EPL Champion and is still in the Champions League which is probably the only basis he's still in a job.

Take no credit away from Chris Hughton btw, getting 12 goals out of a 34 year old in a season and not counting the hold up play he offers is an outstanding job by both player and Manager.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:15pm

Conte is the reigning EPL Champion and is still in the Champions League which is probably the only basis he's still in a job.

Take no credit away from Chris Hughton btw, getting 12 goals out of a 34 year old in a season and not counting the hold up play he offers is an outstanding job by both player and Manager.
There is nod doubt that Murray has given a solid return, but he has hardly been taxed by the Arsenal defence.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:38pm
Arsenal shouldn't sack him.

What they should do is go to him and say "if you don't say you're leaving at the end of the season, we're going to sack you". At least that gives him the opportunity to go out with a bit of dignity intact.

But he should be gone at the end of this season.

What's the market for his replacement? Dyche the favourite?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:42pm
They need someone with great character

Image result for brendan rodgers

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:44pm

What they should do is go to him and say "if you don't say you're leaving at the end of the season, we're going to sack you". At least that gives him the opportunity to go out with a bit of dignity intact.

The paper review on BBC this morning, which therefore must be taken with a large pinch of salt, seemed to suggest that the Arsenal board want Jogi Loew.

-------------

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:51pm

The bookies have it between Low and Ancelotti

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

There is nod doubt that Murray has given a solid return, but he has hardly been taxed by the Arsenal defence.

Is this a pun reference to him tax dodging from the taxman? LOL

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 3:09pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Is this a pun reference to him tax dodging from the taxman? LOL
No, it was two pun references to him dodging the taxman.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 3:51pm
https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/970319230087368704%20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/970319230087368704

"If I were Arsene Wenger, I might consider firing Arsene Wenger."

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 4:55pm

I used to think like that, but I'm firmly against that idea now.

He absolutely should not be allowed to have a role in the club which has a say in managerial appointments. He already sits in on director interviews, so he essentially picks those who will be above him. No wonder the board is full of yes men. No other manager has that power at a club.

I was always in favour of letting him see out a season before he left but I want him gone now. The players look clueless, half arsed and don't seem to know how to defend or attack. He is the coach, and should take the blame. He signed the likes of Chambers, Xhaka, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Welbeck, and promoted Iwobi and Bellerin from the academy.

He was a great servant but footballing wise, the club has never been in a worse position. Time to go.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net