Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=34236
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 1:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Faroe Islands Away - Torshavn - October 16th, 2012
Posted By: Green Devil
Subject: Faroe Islands Away - Torshavn - October 16th, 2012
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:29pm

I was pricing flights from Ireland & i got quoted some ridic prices well over €1,200 so i changed my search to England , so from London Heathrow to the Faroes from the 15th to the 17th got price's in an around £450...Anyone reckon thats decent enough price wise??

Also to those who were at the last trip to the Faroes was it any good & well worth going on??

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Replies:
Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:30pm
There is another thread on this somewhere...

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:30pm
Sounds very dear,how far from Scottish coast is it?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:37pm
sh*t sorry feel free to delete it if theres one up....

http://www.lastminute.com/trips/flightlist/list?arrivalAirports=FAE&return_day=17&search_children=0&search_seniors=0&search_child_2_age=0&search_child_4_age=0&ac_arrival_city=Faroe+Islands&search_child_8_age=0&ac_arrival_airport=FAE&ac_departure_airport_name=London&event=&ac_departure_city=London&path=flights&search_child_3_age=0&airline=NONE&search_child_6_age=0&pTxId=742338&ac_arrival_country=Faroe+Islands&search_infants=0&direct_trip=false&search_child_7_age=0&ad_dest=&depart_day=15&ac_arrival_airport_name=Faroe+Islands&search_child_5_age=0&departureAirports=LON&search_child_1_age=0&configId=S72722479&ac_departure_country=United+Kingdom&search_adults=1&redirectOnly=false&flexibleDate=False&_gsid=S72722479-NE118079808060917974166130475230581872&ac_departure_state=&return_month=2012-10&depart_month=2012-10&ad_country=&ac_country=FO&ac_arrival_state=&ac_departure_airport=LON - http://www.lastminute.com/trips/flightlist/list?arrivalAirports=FAE&return_day=17&search_children=0&search_seniors=0&search_child_2_age=0&search_child_4_age=0&ac_arrival_city=Faroe+Islands&search_child_8_age=0&ac_arrival_airport=FAE&ac_departure_airport_name=London&event=&ac_departure_city=London&path=flights&search_child_3_age=0&airline=NONE&search_child_6_age=0&pTxId=742338&ac_arrival_country=Faroe+Islands&search_infants=0&direct_trip=false&search_child_7_age=0&ad_dest=&depart_day=15&ac_arrival_airport_name=Faroe+Islands&search_child_5_age=0&departureAirports=LON&search_child_1_age=0&configId=S72722479&ac_departure_country=United+Kingdom&search_adults=1&redirectOnly=false&flexibleDate=False&_gsid=S72722479-NE118079808060917974166130475230581872&ac_departure_state=&return_month=2012-10&depart_month=2012-10&ad_country=&ac_country=FO&ac_arrival_state=&ac_departure_airport=LON

264 miles from Stornoway jesus its far enough up North anyway ffs

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:40pm
Another odd country,not too sure bout this place
Germany be the safest bet lads

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:42pm
ah sure, who wants to play it safe bsm?! heard its a crazily expensive spot and a load last time didnt make it after airport shut due to fog which is a common occurence

Posted By: Babysis
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

ah sure, who wants to play it safe bsm?! heard its a crazily expensive spot and a load last time didnt make it after airport shut due to fog which is a common occurence

Yep that about sums it up. Was there for 5 days last time. Very expensive spot.

-------------
First Commander-Galway Regatta

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I was pricing flights from Ireland & i got quoted some ridic prices well over €1,200 so i changed my search to England , so from London Heathrow to the Faroes from the 15th to the 17th got price's in an around £450...Anyone reckon thats decent enough price wise??

Also to those who were at the last trip to the Faroes was it any good & well worth going on??

I remember pricing it last time and everything was expensive so didnt go. Travel, accomodation and alcohol with alot of restrictions. 

However it looked like a spectacular place to visit, something like a cross between tellytubbyland and lord of the rings...

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:48pm
Try Atlantic Airways.

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:58pm
Its in October, very high risk of Fog up there which could be risky. Reckon if i make this one it could be the Abbey travel deal whatever they come up with.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: EkimehtZim
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 5:11pm
Big Strong Man really is the adventurous type isn't he lads 

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 5:13pm
What's it like over there.
Are nightclubs and pubs next to non existant.
Would 4 or 5 days be too much?

Posted By: captkeen
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

4 or 5 days is never too much for a break, but from what i know its expensive , and too be honest i wouldnt imagine there is a lot of night life there, but does that matter ????

-------------
Live Long and Prosper.

Posted By: awaythelads
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by captkeen captkeen wrote:

Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

4 or 5 days is never too much for a break, but from what i know its expensive , and too be honest i wouldnt imagine there is a lot of night life there, but does that matter ????

This should sum up the place for you:  http://www.awaythelads.com/faroe - www.awaythelads.com/faroe

Strange place indeed!  I would suggest 5 days as an absolute max.  I spend an entire day on a bird watching trip ... and I am not a bird watcher.  As our landlady told us, the fog can close the airport for weeks at a time.

-------------
www.awaythelads.com

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 7:19pm
It looks like Craggy island

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It actually does! Just makes me want to go more.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: captkeen
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Good night , Dougal. Good night Father, God Bless Mammy,God bless daddy, Good night Ted.

LOL

-------------
Live Long and Prosper.

Posted By: Rambler
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 7:32pm
On the bus going from Barcelona to Andorra I was talking to a lad who was in the faroes before.He was saying that you would need to travel a few days in advance because of the fog situation.is this true?

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 9:58am
There was a lad in our hostel in Skopje from Faroe Islands, he was one of the strangest men Iv'e ever talked to...Hope he's not typical of the rest of the nation!

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 11:45am
Wouldn't mind going to Faroes be a nice place to spend my 28th Birthday which is on the 14th Oct

Posted By: JimmyG
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 2:16am
Has anybody who has been there for a match before got any recommendations or tips regarding booking accomodation, location etc??

-------------
Football is all very well a good game for rough girls, but
not for delicate boys.

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 2:47am
Originally posted by JimmyG JimmyG wrote:

Has anybody who has been there for a match before got any recommendations or tips regarding booking accomodation, location etc??

Not much choice I believe.  I booked the Hotel Torshavn.

Posted By: SuperDub
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 6:23am
The last time we played the faroes we went on a day trip and our flight got diverted to Norway. With the cost of euro's and a trip to Kaxakstan, the faroes will be out of the question for me.

Posted By: MariborKev
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 10:40am
We went the last time.  To say it was strange is an understatement.

We flew Dublin-London-Copenhagen-Torshavn on the way out.  On the way back we were eventually diverted to Aaarhus which probably needs a tale all on it's own.

Hotels were non existent(there was one and the team had the whole place).  We rented a house, I know other lads camped etc.  A fair few just planned to come in and out of the day, which was completely scuppered by the weather.

As people have said, it is a bit like Craggy Island/West Donegal in the 50s.  Some of it was spectacular but the rain and fog(even in June) made it fairly miserable.  We rented cars and drove round most of the islands, as you could "do" Torshavn in about 10 minutes.  No messing.

It basically didn't get dark at all in June, and they only broadcast TV for 3 hours a day.

Cafe Natur was a the HQ for the trip.  I'm not a beer drinker but the other lads were and the Faroese brew their own(Black Sheep, Gul and Ship's Oil) and they were v impressed by it. Other highpoints included the bar staff having to throw the convicted sheepshagger/local alco out of the place multiple times etc.

Food was some craic as well, if you have a delicate appetite it probably ain't for you.  We had whale, pigeon and puffin amongst other "delights" on the trip. 

One of our regular travellers always swore that it is one of the few places he will NEVER go back to.  Make of that what you will!

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 10:44am
Originally posted by MariborKev MariborKev wrote:

We went the last time.  To say it was strange is an understatement.

We flew Dublin-London-Copenhagen-Torshavn on the way out.  On the way back we were eventually diverted to Aaarhus which probably needs a tale all on it's own.

Hotels were non existent(there was one and the team had the whole place).  We rented a house, I know other lads camped etc.  A fair few just planned to come in and out of the day, which was completely scuppered by the weather.

As people have said, it is a bit like Craggy Island/West Donegal in the 50s.  Some of it was spectacular but the rain and fog(even in June) made it fairly miserable.  We rented cars and drove round most of the islands, as you could "do" Torshavn in about 10 minutes.  No messing.

It basically didn't get dark at all in June, and they only broadcast TV for 3 hours a day.

Cafe Natur was a the HQ for the trip.  I'm not a beer drinker but the other lads were and the Faroese brew their own(Black Sheep, Gul and Ship's Oil) and they were v impressed by it. Other highpoints included the bar staff having to throw the convicted sheepshagger/local alco out of the place multiple times etc.

Food was some craic as well, if you have a delicate appetite it probably ain't for you.  We had whale, pigeon and puffin amongst other "delights" on the trip. 

One of our regular travellers always swore that it is one of the few places he will NEVER go back to.  Make of that what you will!

Is he also called The Scientist.

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 12:24pm
Would still love to make this trip. Who knows, haven't given up hope yet.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: Shebber
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 10:11am
Had alook into it, it would be a great trip, but it'll be expensive to get there and even more expensive when we get there. There is a ferry from Denmark, but it costs 600 euro for 2 in a cabin. Atlantic airways from london might be an option. Apparrently you can get return flights for 192 euro, but the website paints a different picture. €500 approx....

Posted By: Shebber
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 10:11am
and as for Kazakhstan.....!

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 8:32am
I was having a look at Skyscanner there. Typed in Dublin-Faroes for 15/10-17/10. Got quoted something like €1700. If you look at them all individually its a lot cheaper.

10:10-13:20 Dublin-Copenhagen 15/10 €68
19:00-20:30 Copenhagen-Faroes 15/10 €188

08:15-11:35 Faroes-Copenhagen 17/10 €178
16:50-18:05 Copenhagen-Dulin 17/10 €140

If ya dont fancy getting up at the crack to get the airport you can get:

14:45-18:05 Faroes-Copenhagen 17/10 €178
Stay the night in Copenhagen
16:50-18:05 Copenhagen-Dublin 18/10 €92

Still pricey enough but not totally ridiculous

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 9:31am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I was having a look at Skyscanner there. Typed in Dublin-Faroes for 15/10-17/10. Got quoted something like €1700. If you look at them all individually its a lot cheaper.

Fair play to you because when I look at the same flights Copenhagen - Faroes return I am getting a price over €600 both on Skyscanner and Atlantic Airways.  Its almost 50% cheaper if you can travel out Saturday until Wednesday.

-------------
not for delicate boys.

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 10:37am

Thats the thing Jimmy if you look at it all one way rather than return for whatever reason it all works out a lot cheaper

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 10:47am

Fair play to you because when I look at the same flights Copenhagen - Faroes return I am getting a price over €600 both on Skyscanner and Atlantic Airways.  Its almost 50% cheaper if you can travel out Saturday until Wednesday.

That is a long time to be out there though IMO. I was there from Monday - Thursday and that was more than time enough for me. Also you need to think about the fact it is expensive out there so it may not end up being much of saving when you factor in booze, food and accomodation to stay longer.

Or it could be a great length of time to stay and you will never want to leave LOLBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 10:58am
I am travelling on Sat 13th back 17th and it is cheaper to book a return than 2 singles but you are right if you travel copenhagen - Faroes on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday it is cheaper to book 2 one ways.  Grab it.  They will cop it after a few bookings have gone through and change it.

-------------
not for delicate boys.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Babysis Babysis wrote:

That is a long time to be out there though IMO. I was there from Monday - Thursday and that was more than time enough for me. Also you need to think about the fact it is expensive out there so it may not end up being much of saving when you factor in booze, food and accomodation to stay longer.

Or it could be a great length of time to stay and you will never want to leave LOLBig smile

You may be right but I am hoping to organise a days fishing while I am there- I heard they fish for Porbeagle sharks that time of year.

-------------
not for delicate boys.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 11:33am
babysis does another form of fishing to be fair. 

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

babysis does another form of fishing to be fair. 

I guess you mean fly fishing.  I doubt there will be much of that in Faroe Is. in October. 

-------------
not for delicate boys.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 12:08pm
I gave Duffer a jockeyback after the last game. A very proud moment for me, and everyone associated with me.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 4:02pm
It actually looks cheaper to go to Kazakhstan! The only issue there is the need to go via London AND Kiev, three flights rather than two, plus the cost of the visa for Kazakhstan (admittedly only £50 but still). Accommodation looks cheaper there too.

www.flyuia.com

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

It actually looks cheaper to go to Kazakhstan! The only issue there is the need to go via London AND Kiev, three flights rather than two, plus the cost of the visa for Kazakhstan (admittedly only £50 but still). Accommodation looks cheaper there too.

www.flyuia.com

Ya I was thinking that too. Definitely 4 days in Kazakhstan will be a good bit cheaper than 4 days in the Faroes. The visa for Kazakhstan is a rip off considering its only 60 quid for the Russian one, which is essentially the same cost. And I'm presuming you just pay the Kazakhstan visa on arrival. I seem to remember ads for Kazak tourism on Eurosport a few years back. £50/€60 not the kind of thing thats going to attract tourists..

Posted By: Lodger
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

And I'm presuming you just pay the Kazakhstan visa on arrival. 
Afraid not. You have to have it before travelling. Embassy is in London so do it by post to them or use trailfinders who have a visa service which would obviously be more expensive.

Posted By: brendy_éire
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 4:55pm
Anyone further on for booking for this one?

Been considering the ferry from Hirtshals.  It's €218 return.  Add €71-102 for your train to/from a Danish airport.  Add your flights in there, and you'll probably be looking close to the €400 mark.

Flights from Denmark are still hovering around the €600 mark.

Currently checking with ports in the Orkneys to see about chartering/getting a lift off a fishing boat.  A friend of a friend has done it twice going to Scotland matches in the Faroes.

-------------
City Till I Die

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

Anyone further on for booking for this one?

Been considering the ferry from Hirtshals.  It's €218 return.  Add €71-102 for your train to/from a Danish airport.  Add your flights in there, and you'll probably be looking close to the €400 mark.

Flights from Denmark are still hovering around the €600 mark.

Currently checking with ports in the Orkneys to see about chartering/getting a lift off a fishing boat.  A friend of a friend has done it twice going to Scotland matches in the Faroes.

this will be the least attended competative away match in ages. those that still have a functioning liver and some cash/annual leave left after the Euros will plum for Kazachstan. I Know I will

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:49pm
I think the comparative length of the Kazakhstan away thread would show you where people are more likely to go.

I like the idea of catching a boat from maybe Aberdeen. I know there are no scheduled services, but a ferry from Aberdeen to the Orkneys to Shetlands and then catching a ride from there could work. £31.70 single from Aberdeen to Lerwick in Shetlands in October. Daily departure, 19:00. Aer Lingus fly to Aberdeen. You would probably need to leave on the Sunday, arrive in Lerwick Monday morning then take it from there and maybe, hopefully, get a ride with a trawler from there to the Faroes, arriving on the Monday evening, all going well, then back on the Wednesday, getting the Thursday boat from Lerwick to Aberdeen and the Friday flight from there to Dublin.

Or you could pay Abbey and be in and out in a day, allowing for fog.

-------------

Posted By: brendy_éire
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:12pm

I think the comparative length of the Kazakhstan away thread would show you where people are more likely to go.

Aye, agree with that conclusion now.

Was looking at a flight from Derry on the Saturday morning to Prestwick.  If ye fly to Prestwick with Ryanair, ye get 50% off your train ticket to anywhere in Scotland.  So do that, get the train to Thurso (£47 return), then ferry from Scrabster to Stromness (£31 return).

A fishing boat from Orkneys to Faroes takes just over a day or so, depending on conditions.
According to the lads who done it for the Scotland games, the price was £200-something each return on the fishing boat, which they hired specifically for the trip.

With Derry, possibly, in the Europa League, I think I'd have more of a chance making the Faroes rather than Kazakhstan, so this is the one I'm focussing on.

-------------
City Till I Die

Posted By: harry
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 8:44pm

I like the idea of catching a boat from maybe Aberdeen. I know there are no scheduled services, but a ferry from Aberdeen to the Orkneys to Shetlands and then catching a ride from there could work. £31.70 single from Aberdeen to Lerwick in Shetlands in October. Daily departure, 19:00. Aer Lingus fly to Aberdeen. You would probably need to leave on the Sunday, arrive in Lerwick Monday morning then take it from there and maybe, hopefully, get a ride with a trawler from there to the Faroes, arriving on the Monday evening, all going well, then back on the Wednesday, getting the Thursday boat from Lerwick to Aberdeen and the Friday flight from there to Dublin.

Or you could pay Abbey and be in and out in a day, allowing for fog.

F Abbey

Posted By: familyguy
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:42pm
I was always only going to be able to afford either boratland or the faroes - we booked boaratland a few weeks back. There really was no issue,kazakhstan is simply a far more appealing destination.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 4:29am
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

I was always only going to be able to afford either boratland or the faroes - we booked boaratland a few weeks back. There really was no issue,kazakhstan is simply a far more appealing destination.

Tis slightly less appealing, now that I know you and eejit No 2 are going, but I'm going to take me chances anywayLOL

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Gonz
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 11:49am
I priced a trip from Stansted to Malmo, then Copenhagen to the Faroes for about £300STG return.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:42pm
Have Abbey or 747 started offering packages on this yet? I'll have very limited annual leave left after the Euro's so will be hoping to fly in and out direct!

Posted By: harry
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Have Abbey or 747 started offering packages on this yet? I'll have very limited annual leave left after the Euro's so will be hoping to fly in and out direct!

Hope you have plenty of cash left too after the euros as abbey will not be cheap for this one

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

Snap. I was one of the lucky ones to make it out to the faroe islands last time so it was defo kazak for me this time round

-------------

Posted By: wicklowrunner
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Gonz Gonz wrote:

I priced a trip from Stansted to Malmo, then Copenhagen to the Faroes for about £300STG return.
Copenhagen to Faroes coming in @ €600Confused

Posted By: mouldymould
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

Copenhagen to Faroe Islands is €300
Stansted to Malmo is €50

So possible to get to the Faroes from Dublin for around €400

Posted By: dublin-hammer
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:52pm
Looking into doing this myself but will worry about it when I'm back from polkraine.

-------------
I'm not a fascist, I'm a priest. Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas...priests... More drink!

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by mouldymould mouldymould wrote:

Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

Copenhagen to Faroe Islands is €300
Stansted to Malmo is €50

So possible to get to the Faroes from Dublin for around €400

The issue with that is the need for accommodation on the way. Presumably in Stansted.

Cheap itinerary works like this:

Dublin - Copenhagen 11:05 - 14:15 - 15th October €149 return with SAS
Copenhagen overnight, Generator Hostel 150 DKK
Copenhagen - Faroes 12:30 - 14:00 - 16th October 1053 DKK with Atlantic
Faroes overnight, Hotel Torshavn, about €100 (there is little cheaper)
Faroes - Copenhagen 14:45 - 18:05 - 17th October 995 DKK with Atlantic (book these flights separately)
Copenhagen overnight, Generator Hostel 185 DKK
Copenhagen - Dublin 16:50 - 18:05 - 18th October (included above).

So the total cost is 2383 DKK (about €320) plus €149 plus €100 and you are looking at €570-ish before spending money, along with four days off work, and arriving into the Faroes on the match day at 14:00. This may well be a trip where Abbey are cheaper than DIY.

-------------

Posted By: conor253
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 8:30pm
Just had a look there and leaving Dublin on the 14th and back on the 17th with a one night stay in Copenhagen the way over you can get it €595 return.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by conor253 conor253 wrote:

Just had a look there and leaving Dublin on the 14th and back on the 17th with a one night stay in Copenhagen the way over you can get it €595 return.

Yeah I missed a point. Looking at the Faroe - Copenhagen flights, the earlier one is 205 DKK dearer, but even a night in a hostel in Copenhagen is 185 DKK, so there is absolutely no point in not getting the earlier one.

Better is this:

Dublin to Copenhagen, 15th Oct 10:10 - 13:20, €56, with Norwegian
Generator Hostel Copenhagen, 150 DKK
Copenhagen to Faroes, 16th Oct 12:30 - 14:00, 1053 DKK (booked separately)
Faroes overnight, Hotel Torshavn, about €100 (there is little cheaper)
Faroes to Copenhagen, 17th Oct 08:15 - 11:30, 1200 DKK (booked separately)
Copenhagen to Dublin, 17th Oct 16:50 - 18:05, €91, with SAS

All in that is 2403 DKK (€322) + €247 = €570-ish. Still, not much prospect of me doing this unless I win the lotto. Already off Kazakhstan in September, plus the Euros, so I can't really afford to spend another grand on this, which is more or less what it would take, all in. The other thing is the unpredictability of the weather. Given the risk of fog and flight delays, are you prepared to fly in on matchday, and book a connecting flight from Copenhagen on the same day coming back, with no guarantee of making it? I'm not going to take that chance.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 9:35pm
would there be any migratory whales offering lifts on their backs going from the west coast of ireland up to the faroes as its the only way id afford it

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 9:51pm
And I should just add that in the last two campaigns, all the Faroes October games have kicked off at 16:00. The bus journey takes about 1 hour to Torshavn. And they sometimes play the matches in Toftir, which is miles away from the airport (well, about 60 kms on winding roads). Difficult to get scheduled buses to it on time were they to play at 4pm. So, flying in on the day appears a bit risky.

That said, they only recently (August 2011) got floodlights in the big stadium in Torshavn, so they might well be playing there. BUT, given that they have a home game with Sweden four days before our game (obviously a much bigger game for them), they may want to spread the games around. Hard to know.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 9:57pm
awkward flights, high alcohol costs ,possible foggy conditions to disrupt things.it s going to be a bastard to be able to go to that one.the place looks like a slightly less barren version of the falklands

-------------

Posted By: scaldy
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 10:00pm
any precedent on abbey prices for this one? seems like it's going to be an awkward one, one of the few occasions i might shell out for the convenience.

Posted By: mouldymould
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 3:25pm
Bladypi hostel in Torshavn is around €27 a night, that would save a few shillings.
Overall, still around the €500 mark though.

Posted By: magnumpi
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by scaldy scaldy wrote:

any precedent on abbey prices for this one? seems like it's going to be an awkward one, one of the few occasions i might shell out for the convenience.

plus one.

me and a mate have friends from the faroes, so are planning to go to this, but trying to go via copenhagen is pricey enough.

will see what Abbey come up with and take a view.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 6:21pm
Last time we flew via London and Billund if that's of any use. Also, the last time there were flights to the Faroes via Aberdeen. It's just that the dates didn't tally up. Might be worth checking out though.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 7:16pm
fook that, don't ave the holidays at work to do this one, and money either by the sounds of it, will ot for kazakstan instead

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Last time we flew via London and Billund if that's of any use. Also, the last time there were flights to the Faroes via Aberdeen. It's just that the dates didn't tally up. Might be worth checking out though.

No Aberdeen flights any more. They are seasonal, I think, or else discontinued. In any event, they don't run in October. The London - Billund option is worth considering, except for the fact the Billund - Faroes flights only run Monday and Thursday. Could be an option outbound, but inbound, Copenhagen looks more sense. Plus, Copenhagen involves only two flights each way instead of three. And don't forget the extra expenditure associated with extra travel time, extra airports and extra flights, particularly if you have to overnight anywhere. As it is, the Stansted to Billund flight on the Monday is cheap (€34) but too early to be worthwhile, in that it departs at 07:30 and would involve an overnight in Stansted. The easyjet flights from London to Copenhagen are only a tenner more, and the flights from Copenhagen to the Faroes are about €30 cheaper than the ones from Billund.

In short, Copenhagen makes the most sense, whether direct from Dublin or via London. And you have two options. You can either take both flights on the Monday and stay two nights in the Faroes, or stay one night in Copenhagen on the way over (which is significantly cheaper given the cost of accommodation in the Faroes).

-------------

Posted By: Lodger
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 7:28pm
Wouldn't imagine there is much accommodation left, hotel wise anyway. Myself and a few others booked hotel rooms a few months ago and it wasn't cheap then. Whatever is left could be quite expensive.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Lodger Lodger wrote:

Wouldn't imagine there is much accommodation left, hotel wise anyway. Myself and a few others booked hotel rooms a few months ago and it wasn't cheap then. Whatever is left could be quite expensive.

just checked. you're right on that. about €120 for one night in the cheapest place. i'm going to kstan so not going to the faroes as well. just too expensive, all in. only posting on here to try and help others.

-------------

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 7:45pm
€500 is insane for approx 18 hours in the Faroes.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

€500 is insane for approx 18 hours in the Faroes.

exactly, that's why i'm off to Kazakhstan. 4 or 5 days, even if it is a grand. Much longer trip than the Faroes, and should take less spending money (I presume).

-------------

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:16pm
Anyone waiting on Abbey wil be paying through their nose. there wont be enough for a flight solely for fans, so you'll be on the players/media flight. Cant remember the exact price off the top of my head, but for 2 nights in Moscow it was madness, and youll be flying back straight after the match.

Direct flights though. If you have the money and are happy coming back directly after the match its not a bad option.

Pity this match is not on when the home match is on, i.e. June 2013, would get much more travelling then.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Anyone waiting on Abbey wil be paying through their nose. there wont be enough for a flight solely for fans, so you'll be on the players/media flight. Cant remember the exact price off the top of my head, but for 2 nights in Moscow it was madness, and youll be flying back straight after the match.

Direct flights though. If you have the money and are happy coming back directly after the match its not a bad option.

Pity this match is not on when the home match is on, i.e. June 2013, would get much more travelling then.

€1299/1399 moscow was with them exc. visa cost, ridiculous considering return flights from dublin were coming in at €222

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:20pm
Anyone price that ferry with the niteclub on board?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:21pm
Id love to do the faroes by ferry.thatd be some craic but sadly most fans would fly

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:25pm

Im time-rich but cash-poor. Ferry would suit me best. Would be great craic as well. I looked into it after the draw in July but havent looked at it since.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:26pm

Im time-rich but cash-poor. Ferry would suit me best. Would be great craic as well. I looked into it after the draw in July but havent looked at it since.

What ferry is that rolo if ya can remember?

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Costa something or other, last heard of going around Italy on a cruise. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Costa something or other, last heard of going around Italy on a cruise. 

LOL ill ring aran island ferries in the morning to see if they sail via the faroes

-------------

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 11:04pm
2 sharing

Outbound

13 October 2012 18:00Hirtshals - Tórshavn (FO)
  • 2 x Adult
  • 2 x Couchette
  • 2 x Today's meal Cafeteria, adult (12-14) (14/10/2012)

Inbound

18 October 2012 21:00Tórshavn (FO) - Hirtshals
  • Passengers as outbound
  • 2 x Couchette
  • 2 x Today's meal Cafeteria, adult (12-14) (19/10/2012)

203 euro each, Return on Ferry

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by daboi89 daboi89 wrote:

2 sharing

Outbound

• 2 x Adult
  • 2 x Couchette

Inbound

• Passengers as outbound
  • 2 x Couchette

And how do you get to Hirtshals for 5:00pm on the Saturday, having been at the game in Dublin v Germany the night before? As far as I can see, it's more or less impossible. The cheapest way seems to be getting a flight to Aalborg via Copenhagen for €209 with SAS and then from there to Hirtshals by train. Having said that, you only arrive at Hirtshals at 17:28, when the boat is at 18:00, and they say you have to arrive one hour before. I don't know how much a taxi would be, but given that the flight lands at 15:35 and google maps says the driving time is just under an hour, and 70km. I'd hate to think of the cost of a taxi! I'd imagine it would be at least €100 extra.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:08am
Yeah thats the one.

You booked this already?!

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:09am

2 sharing

Outbound

• 2 x Adult
  • 2 x Couchette

Inbound

• Passengers as outbound
  • 2 x Couchette

I just went through that booking myself.i would definitely go with that option as the ferry would be a bit of craic and get some cheap flights into denmark. ill be going solo on this one but it d be good craic if there was a few heads going on this ferry. are you going to the faroes?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:12am

2 sharing

Outbound

• 2 x Adult
  • 2 x Couchette

Inbound

• Passengers as outbound
  • 2 x Couchette

I just went through that booking myself.i would definitely go with that option as the ferry would be a bit of craic and get some cheap flights into denmark. ill be going solo on this one but it d be good craic if there was a few heads going on this ferry. are you going to the faroes?

You're going to miss the home game v Germany so. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if you hadn't realised.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:15am

2 sharing

Outbound

• 2 x Adult
  • 2 x Couchette

Inbound

• Passengers as outbound
  • 2 x Couchette

You're going to miss the home game v Germany so. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if you hadn't realised.

SuperDave84, you seem to be almost offended that someone might have found a cheaper route than you. We're here pooling our ideas, its all good. Where there's a will there's a way.

Where is this 100 euro taxi from that you speak of? If there are enuf ppl to share a taxi, it could be done. Or even a mini bus could be arranged.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:17am
Oct 12th ?  

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:20am
5 Days in the faroes, jaysus.

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:20am
fcuk it if it meant having to fly into copenhagen on the friday and stay the night watching the ireland germany game in an irish bar id do it. i could live with not attending the home game and watching it in copenhagen

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:24am
was only pointing out a possible route.. Thats the quickest turn around for sailings. 

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:26am
That ferry on the 13th would be feasible if we booked a mini bus to take us ther.

Or else, could fly one way and ferry the other.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:34am
id say to book a return ferry would work out cheaper rather than flight one way and ferry the other as you d still have to fly back from denmark anyway.

Overall the way the two most awkward fixtures have fallen so close to each other and the euros its logistically a pain in the arse

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:37am
yeah its not looking good. Everything is against us. Even the ferry times!

Gonna be a long gap between the Euros in June and Sweden in March '13.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:41am
Ill definitely do either kazakhstan or faroes.the fcukin faroes are nearly as much hassle to get to as kazakhstan and ireland is closer to them. its a pain in the arse how we ve to go further away to go back to them

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:47am
Actually.would flying to iceland and return ferries to faroes be a no go

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:47am
Tbh it wouldnt be an away trip for me if the route wasnt complicated. I wouldnt mind going to Denmark at all, its jst that its the only option here really so the price is ridic.

Cant make the Kazak trip unfortunately and Faroes is looking like its too expensive now.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:49am
ye can get the game in friday.  Fly to AAlborg Saturday Morning and get the Train Up.. based on Timetables. You arrive at the Port at 17.57LOL. 3 mins to get the Ferry

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:54am

15 October 2012

18:50DUB DublinSASSK2538
22:00CPH Copenhagen2h 10 
  Overnight stay required14h 30 
(+1) 12:30CPH CopenhagenAtlantic AirwaysRC453
14:00FAE Sorvagur2h 30 

17 October 2012

08:15FAE SorvagurAtlantic AirwaysRC450
11:35CPH Copenhagen2h 20 
  Connect in airport5h 15 
16:50CPH CopenhagenSASSK2537
18:05DUB Dublin2h 15

600 Lids. 30 for the Hostel , and you have to Stay in Denmark the Night before.  Pricey but handiest. Otherwise its Abbeys Charter. Prob Cheaper with Ferry But No way you can make the Ferry flying out Saturday Unless you Pay for it with KLM

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:57am

2 sharing

Outbound

• 2 x Adult
  • 2 x Couchette

Inbound

• Passengers as outbound
  • 2 x Couchette

SuperDave84, you seem to be almost offended that someone might have found a cheaper route than you. We're here pooling our ideas, its all good. Where there's a will there's a way.

Where is this 100 euro taxi from that you speak of? If there are enuf ppl to share a taxi, it could be done. Or even a mini bus could be arranged.

I'm not offended. I just thought maybe it was something that might go unnoticed. I wouldn't want someone to book the ferry without realising that they might have to miss the home game vs Germany.

http://www.visitdenmark.dk/international/en-gb/menu/turist/transport/bilogbusudlejere/taxicabsandtaxifares.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.visitdenmark.dk/international/en-gb/menu/turist/transport/bilogbusudlejere/taxicabsandtaxifares.htm

That is the taxi fare calculator. The fare on a Saturday is 13.50 DKK per km, plus a fixed fare of 24 DKK. The distance is exactly 70km, according to google maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Willemoesvej&hl=en&ll=57.596823,9.975511&spn=0.003076,0.010568&sll=57.596811,9.975511&sspn=0.003099,0.010568&geocode=FSMTZwMd_KKWAA%3BFQbYbgMd0DeYAA&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&z=17" rel="nofollow - http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Willemoesvej&hl=en&ll=57.596823,9.975511&spn=0.003076,0.010568&sll=57.596811,9.975511&sspn=0.003099,0.010568&geocode=FSMTZwMd_KKWAA%3BFQbYbgMd0DeYAA&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&z=17

That makes it 13.50 * 70 + 24 = 969 DKK, which is roughly €130 according to xe.com:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=969&From=DKK&To=EUR" rel="nofollow - http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=969&From=DKK&To=EUR

Of course you could get four people to share the taxi but it is a cost to be borne in mind. I am the same as you, I am only trying to help! I don't want to see people either spending more than they have to (especially when some have said they don't have a huge amount to spend), or booking something that means they will miss the home game v Germany. I think the very fact I am contributing to the thread and have indicated that I won't be going to the game speaks for that.

And I'm sure with enough planning and enough people a minibus could be booked to pick up a crowd at the airport and drive them to Hirtshals. It wouldn't be a problem, I imagine, although the timing is quite tight, with a 1:10 connection in Copenhagen, and 85 minutes to get the 70km from the airport to the ferryport, assuming the flight is on time and you get straight out of the airport. I had a look for car hire but any places in Hirtshals seem to close at 12:00 on a Saturday so there is no way of getting a one way car hire to there but with a bit of searching a minibus might not be a problem.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 1:03am
Hirtshals is 274 kilometers from Copenhagen Airport , 70 km from Aalborg 

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 1:04am
Thanks for the info dave and everyone else to be fair.ill be doing either this one or the kazakhstan one.not sure which.the ferry would be some craic and id even sacrifice going to the germany home game to make this trip.having said that kazakhstan is my first choice

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 1:06am

ye can get the game in friday.  Fly to AAlborg Saturday Morning and get the Train Up.. based on Timetables. You arrive at the Port at 17.57LOL. 3 mins to get the Ferry

You have to arrive an hour before (down at the bottom):

http://www.smyrilline.com/Default.aspx?ID=11468" rel="nofollow - http://www.smyrilline.com/Default.aspx?ID=11468

Actually.would flying to iceland and return ferries to faroes be a no go

It leaves Iceland once a week, on a Wednesday evening only, and leaves the Faroes for Iceland once a week on a Monday evening only. So, it's no use at all.

http://www.smyrilline.com/sailing-schedule.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.smyrilline.com/sailing-schedule.aspx

The ferry would have been great craic had it worked out better, but as it is, it looks like flying is the only way.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net