Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=33544
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 4:50pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wes Hoolahan
Posted By: ParkLife
Subject: Wes Hoolahan
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 2:37am
Taken from TheGuardian website this morning.
Interesting...The article was: 5 things We've learned from the Premier League this weekend.

The Republic of Ireland should look at Hoolahan

With Robbie Keane injured, Kevin Doyle suspended and Shane Long reeling from that horrendous tackle by Alan Hutton, the Ireland manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, has a selection dilemma ahead of next month's Euro 2012 play-off tie against Estonia. West Bromwich's Simon Cox replaced Keane in the starting 11 against Armenia and it is reasonable to assume that he will start the first leg in Tallinn – Trapattoni is not a man who likes change.

But the question is who will start alongside him? Leon Best is the obvious answer but Wes Hoolahan may be a less obvious one and the former Blackpool man made a strong case for his inclusion with his performance for Norwich against Liverpool on Saturday. He worked hard, tracked back and had a hand in Norwich's deserved equaliser – he has created the most chances (16) for Norwich in the Premier League this season and only Grant Holt had more assists than him in the previous two seasons. He is also a good passer of the ball and rarely cedes possession – 86% of his passes met their intended target at Anfield.

The game in Tallinn will most likely be one that Trapattoni sets out not to lose, rather than to win, and selecting Hoolahan would fit the Italian's perennially conservative plans. The Norwich man could play in front of the central midfield pairing – Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews – supporting Cox when his side attack and dropping deeper when Ireland are not in possession, helping to swamp the midfield; a role not too dissimilar to what Doyle does for the Italian, albeit with a more attacking edge. His steady, mature and level-headed approach is what Ireland will need and, judging by Best's somewhat reckless performance against Wigan – he was substituted to save himself from being sent off – Hoolahan may just have earned himself a place in Trapattoni's thoughts. IMC

Replies:
Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 2:41am
makes sense for the away leg alright. Can't see it happening though

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:21am
Leon Best? Not a mention of Walters in the article for some reason which is strange. And yeah, would be an interesting option - but like The Saint I can't see it happening.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:23am

Wont happen. No way. Bringing a player in from the cold for a massive playoff?

Walters and Cox if Keane doesnt make it.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: sonofakeano
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:23am
Doubt Trap will change things up now

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:25am
Smashing footballer

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Drummerboy
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:28am
Nice ball player, but exactly the type Trap  doesn't want in his team. If Long is out, reckon he will play Walters and Keane/Cox up front.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 3:58am
Had a chat about this on saturday night while watching motd think he should be in the squad having a decent season, but as many above say Trap ain't going to change it now.It be Cox and Keane/Walters for away leg- Doyle and Keane/Cox for home leg

Maybe if we qualify he can test him out during the friendlies leading up to the euros

Wasn't he called up before by Trap??

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 4:06am
Can't see him getting a chance myself,especially not supporting Cox.Would be nice to see him play off somebody like Walters or Long,but no way will Trap drop Cox after the Armenia game

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 4:18am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Had a chat about this on saturday night while watching motd think he should be in the squad having a decent season, but as many above say Trap ain't going to change it now.It be Cox and Keane/Walters for away leg- Doyle and Keane/Cox for home leg

Maybe if we qualify he can test him out during the friendlies leading up to the euros

played in the B game against Nottingham Forest, where he was terrible, was on the first training get together in Portugal, and was a last minute substitute in the win over Colombia at Craven Cottage

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 4:48am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

played in the B game against Nottingham Forest, where he was terrible, was on the first training get together in Portugal, and was a last minute substitute in the win over Colombia at Craven Cottage
Yeah that's what a thought. would still like to see him get his chance though

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 4:53am
Playing well in the EPL. I am sure after the play offs he will be included in the squads for friendlies. Trap is not going to change things around now however.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Drummerboy Drummerboy wrote:

Nice ball player, but exactly the type Trap  doesn't want in his team. If Long is out, reckon he will play Walters and Keane/Cox up front.

Exactly -
Does'nt fit the system.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 5:17am
Must be heartbreaking for lads like Houlahan knowing that no matter how well they are playing in the PL they will not even make the squad

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 5:52am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Must be heartbreaking for lads like Houlahan knowing that no matter how well they are playing in the PL they will not even make the squad
Exactly why I quit football regardless of how well I played knew I'd never play for Ireland

DAMN YOU TRAP
LOL

Posted By: Dano
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:03am

He'll get his chance before next June

Posted By: M.50
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:06am
Whatever us "experts" say, Trap does the opposite. Will Hoolahan get a chance...not even a sniff

Hoolahan's form just didn't spring into life last Saturday, he was exceptional last season in the Championship and was then overlooked also. There'll be a blue moon (sorry united fans) before Hoolahan's considered for the starting eleven

Posted By: Trapcandoit
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:20am
 It's not so much Hoolahan I worry about but the other chap- Pilkilton. If he keeps impressing Capello may well snap him up from us.
(Apologies if I spelt the name wrong there)

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Dano Dano wrote:

He'll get his chance before next June

By which time he will be 30 Cry

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Mafi Mushkila
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:35am
I feel sorry for Wes the chap must think what have I got to do to get a look in. I really think it is wrong that he has not been included in any recent squads because based on performances he is consistently playing well at club level. Wes has always been of those players that will give his all week in week out. He was always a pleasure to watch at LOI level he always had some trick up his sleeve. 

Posted By: saintjoey
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:45am
makes no difference if hes in the squad trap wont play him, reckon he will get his chance in the friendlys and will be included in the squad for the euros should we get there

Posted By: Dano
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Trapcandoit Trapcandoit wrote:

It's not so much Hoolahan I worry about but the other chap- Pilkilton. If he keeps impressing Capello may well snap him up from us.

Is Anthony Pilkington definitely on board with us? I know he played for out U21's once but might it not be the same as that American lad Conor Doyle, where he is just testing the water?

I noticed that Duff was on the bench for Fulham yesterday I wonder if he was dropped or maybe there an injury.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Dano Dano wrote:

It's not so much Hoolahan I worry about but the other chap- Pilkington. If he keeps impressing Capello may well snap him up from us.

Is Anthony Pilkington definitely on board with us? I know he played for out U21's once but might it not be the same as that American lad Conor Doyle, where he is just testing the water?

I noticed that Duff was on the bench for Fulham yesterday I wonder if he was dropped or maybe there an injury.

Cant see Capello capping him anytime soon , esp with the amount of wingers England have + he has jumped from League 1 to the EPL only this season....

Conor Doyle switched back to America im nearly sure , as for Pilks he declared for Ireland a few years ago & played for our u21s but i think in the past year or so he is still undecided whether to throw his lot in with us or not!! In saying that has Trap or Tardelli even approached him , as the saying goes "you wont know , unless you ask"

Pilkington & Tierney are two obvious options we should really try & get on board once the Estonia games are done with....

Trap will have in an around 20 players who are nailed on to make the European Championship Squad if we qualify straight after the Estona game , bar injuries or suspensions i can see probably 3 places max that are up for grabs in his squad...Wes is defo good enough but he hasnt got a hope i reckon which is a pity

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:27am
if David Silva was irish he would struggle to get into the squad

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:41am
Jees, I'm nearly as worried about the set up of the next friendly as I am about that of the upcoming playoffs these daysLOL 'Really hope Hoolahan, Pilkington (thanks guys) and Best all get a run out along with the rest of the up and comers.

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:46am

Jees, I'm nearly as worried about the set up of the next friendly than I am about that of the upcoming playoffs these daysLOL 'Really hope Hoolahan, Pilkington (thanks guys) and Best all get a run out along with the rest of the up and comers.

Mate believe me we all hope Trap does a Football Manager on it for our next friendly & throws in Wilson , Pilks , Tierney , Hoolahan ,  McCarthy , Clark , Brady etc etc but it wont happen LOL

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

if David Silva was irish he would struggle to get into the squad

True actually

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:57am
 Trapattoni toni toni
 Bring on Tony Tony Tony!
              Big smile             

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:45am

if we make it through these qualifiers then we better see a lot of call ups in the forthcoming friendlies and some new formations , if we go to the euros with the same midfield then we are hosed , trap must surely know that in his heart of hearts....

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: SpikeySpec
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:57am
I do like Trap, but his squad selections make no sense! Best, starting in the premier league, and playing brilliantly, hoolahan, getting rave reviews and Pilkington, also scoring a lot! :et alone the James McCarthy saga... Instead we have Andy Keogh, just doesnt make any sense...Confused

-------------
'If you're first you are first, if you are second you are nothing'-Bill Shankley

Posted By: kessler
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:11pm
I like Hoolahan a lot and think he should have been in the mix with our squads for the last year as he's been in consistently performing and is a player who can distribute the ball very well. That said, there's no chance i'd throw him in for the playoffs and the article made no sense as it just forgot about Walters existing when he's ahead of Best in the pecking order. Hoolahan should definitely get a look in after the playoffs but, as has been mentioned, he's not the type of player Trap really likes so his chances will be limited unfortunately.

Posted By: Dunne23
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 7:49pm
Walters, Cox, Best, Keane and Keogh will no doubt all be there. Like everyone who has mentioned, it would be nice to see Hoolahan included, but why would Trap put him in now. I reckon Walters and Cox will do the job Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 7:10pm
Watched the Norwhich game today, and I must say Hoolahan has a real degree of creativity. He also works very hard, and makes tackles. I'm not a massive McCarthy fan, and I've yet to see much of Meyler, but Hoolahan for me looks like should be the main alternative for Whelan and Andrews.

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 8:07pm
f**k friendlies and never mind about our ranking.
The next few games should be Traps Ireland v The rest (managed by Giles and Dunphy)

All joking a side, Theres very few games in the premiership where we havent got a few lads on show.  Were lacking in the top top teams still but theres plenty of good players that will catch the publics eye like Wes Holohan.
I wouldnt be too worried about not having players in the top teams like Chelsea, City. There may have been Irish players playing with Pool, United winning teams years ago but that was before the influx of top top European players.  Stapleton, Aldridge, Houghton etc would not have been in those teams if they had the money for Van Basten, Gullit, etc etc etc.

Id be very surprised to see any Irish player at Man City in the next few years. But below these team Wes Holohan etc is catching the eye. I know qualification is massive but its still alot about going to a sporting occasion to be entertained.  Holohan , McCarthy, Coleman, etc might put more bums on seats.
Our next group with Germany and the on form Sweden will be very very difficult, much harder that this campaign. Trap will not trust these new players. If he does bring them in and we get a bad result (which is v possible in this group) then his negative Whelan/ Andrews tactic will be vindicated. Its going to be very very hard bring in any of these players while Trap is around. If we qualify against Estonia, Holohan may retire from International football 
Anyway
Go Green on Nov 15

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 11:28am

Norwich City trio on Republic of Ireland’s watch-list

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/norwich_city_trio_on_republic_of_ireland_s_watch_list_1_1135865 - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/norwich_city_trio_on_republic_of_ireland_s_watch_list_1_1135865
''
Republic of Ireland coach Marco Tardelli last night revealed that Norwich City trio Wes Hoolahan, Anthony Pilkington and Marc Tierney are firmly on his international radar. 

The former World Cup winner, who was at Carrow Road to see the Canaries take on Arsenal, admitted he and Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni were weighing up all their options with regards to their final 23-man Euro2012 squad.

It leaves the door open for an international return for Hoolahan who won his only senior cap under Trapattoni in 2008 in a friendly against Colombia.

“I know him (Hoolahan) from two or three years ago when we arrived in Ireland. He is a good player, good quality, a skilful player and I think now more experienced than three years ago,” said Tardelli, who has watched Hoolahan become one of the key players in City’s success story.

It’s Hoolahan’s ability to play a creative midfield role or as support to a lone striker in a 4-5-1 formation that works well in his favour.

Clearly, a lot will rest on the 29-year-old Dubliner’s performances for the Canaries if he is to break into the squad as the only international friendly lined up, possibly against England, is in February. The other warm-up matches come too close to the actual tournament for much experimentation. 

“He (Hoolahan) can play in midfield but he can also play as the second striker. He sometimes plays in this position for Norwich which I think is good. Having many options is very good because there are many good young players and it is good for the team,” said Tardelli, who as well as weighing up who might feature in the team for the February friendly also admitted the Ireland management keep a constant eye on what goes on at Carrow Road.

He added: “We follow all players and we decide, Giovanni decides, when will be the right moment. 

“Maybe it is possible they could play in the friendly but I cannot say for sure. They know that we follow them, if they play everything is possible.” 

While all three City players will potentially be hoping to break into the Ireland squad for next year’s Euro Championship Tardelli also admitted he sees the likes of Pilkington, 23, and Tierney, 26, as the future. 

Midfielder Pilkington has also worn the green shirt before, winning a solitary Under-21 cap against Lithuania in 2008, while left-back Tierney is also eligible.

“The Norwich team they are good players also Pilkington and Tierney is a good player. For us and the international team it is very good because they are young players for the future.”

The Republic of Ireland, who qualified for their first major finals since the 2002 World Cup, are in the fourth group of seeds alongside Denmark, the Czech Republic and France. 

That means they cannot face the French, who knocked them out in a controversial World Cup qualification play-off two years ago, in the group stages.

There will be 16 teams in Poland and Ukraine, divided into four pots for the draw in Kiev on Friday, December 2, at 5pm.''

RTE have a story on it too -  http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/1124/ireland_norwich.html - http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/1124/ireland_norwich.html

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 11:37am
Theres no reason why Hoolihan can't nail a place in the squad when given his chance. 

Its a myth that Trap doesnt give players a chance .. St. Ledge , Ward , Whelan, Long, Walters, Lawrence .. the list goes on. No disrespect to Whelan and Andrews but would love to see a player with an eye for a pass in the middle. 

Posted By: farfar
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 12:30pm
Tierney would want to hope thats not the only game he has seen he was destroyed by Walcott on Saturday apart from that performance ive been impressed with him.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by farfar farfar wrote:

Tierney would want to hope thats not the only game he has seen he was destroyed by Walcott on Saturday apart from that performance ive been impressed with him.

Walcotts pace could give anybody a nightmare. Thats about all he has though .

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 12:41pm
Delighted to hear this

Posted By: Absolutely Use
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 12:53pm
The trio have been very consistant this season

-------------
Say nothing till you hear more

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

“He (Hoolahan) can play in midfield but he can also play as the second striker. He sometimes plays in this position for Norwich which I think is good. Having many options is very good because there are many good young players and it is good for the team,” said Tardelli, who as well as weighing up who might feature in the team for the February friendly also admitted the Ireland management keep a constant eye on what goes on at Carrow Road.

Hes's not Trap's type of midfielder and he's not going to get in ahead of the 6 strikers we have in the pecking order at this stage. Cant see any place for him in a 23 man squad.

Posted By: Fitz
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 1:17pm
Re: Pilkington - gave an interview last week and, reading between the lines, I think it's pretty obvious he's waiting for England..........off with him, in that case.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Re: Pilkington - gave an interview last week and, reading between the lines, I think it's pretty obvious he's waiting for England..........off with him, in that case.

I'm not so sure. Look at the top left handside of the wall in the Pilkington house (posted on Twitter) and tell me what you see -  http://lockerz.com/s/151467724 - http://lockerz.com/s/151467724

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 2:24pm
Could be the jersey he wore on debut?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 2:30pm

Could be the jersey he wore on debut?

Bingo. If it meant nothing to him then he would hardly have it framed on his wall.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Absolutely Use
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 4:00pm
he is a decent player,

-------------
Say nothing till you hear more

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 5:23pm
*disregard*

Posted By: bossofthemoss
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 5:33pm
They'll call Pilkington up in February. If he comes great, if not that's his decision made. Time will tell.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

[QUOTE=BigStrongMan]Could be the jersey he wore on debut?

[QUOTE]Bingo. If it meant nothing to him then he would hardly have it framed on his wall.

Ya, but why then did he say last week that if Ireland and England both came knocking he'd "have to think about it"?? It's very simple: you either want to play for us or you don't.........if he was that proud of his Irish connections there'd be no thinking about it, in fairness.

And, let's give him the benefit of the doubt for a second and pretend that he's 'proud to be English' but also 'proud of his Irish roots', and that this conflict may make his 'choice' difficult; a choice that would, potentially, mean he could win many caps for us but, realistically, only a handful for England.........and yet he'd still have to think about it?? To me, this really shows that he feels English, which is grand of course, but don't insult us by putting on the green jersey as some kind of 'runner-up prize'.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 5:38pm
*disregard - double post*

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 5:45pm
Thought this was a thread about Wes Hoolahan Confused

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 1:48am
its now the 'Norwich holy trio' thread !!

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 2:21am
Pilkington is definitely holding out for a call from Capello, no doubt about it. This is a fact. Forget about him lads.

Posted By: oreilly21
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 3:03am
can everybody please relax there for a second.

he has played a hanful of games at the top level and hasnt proved anything yet, far from the finished product and at this moment doesnt warrant a place in our squad or the England squad.

these players come and go, if after christmas he is still playing to a high level then we can talk about him again.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 4:23am
Originally posted by oreilly21 oreilly21 wrote:

can everybody please relax there for a second.

he has played a hanful of games at the top level and hasnt proved anything yet, far from the finished product and at this moment doesnt warrant a place in our squad or the England squad.

these players come and go, if after christmas he is still playing to a high level then we can talk about him again.

To be fair on the lad, if he would accept a call-up from us, we definitely should give him one. I personally think he's great a crosser of a ball, maybe better than any of our current wingers and is pacey enough as well. If Coleman is given a chance then Pilkington should be too, that is if he wants it. I think he's closer to"finishing the article" than young Seamus.

Posted By: Tuff Paddy
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 6:14am
Pilkington on the radio here last night saying that he would rather play in the Premier League again next season than go to Euro 2012 with Ireland . . . . . . .

-------------
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 6:21am
Don't think he will have to worry about it

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: SteviesGranny
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Tuff Paddy Tuff Paddy wrote:

Pilkington on the radio here last night saying that he would rather play in the Premier League again next season than go to Euro 2012 with Ireland . . . . . . .

That's ok. Fair play to the lad for been honest. He obviously see's himself as very much English and is holding our for an England call up.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 7:11am
I admire his honesty maybe he's thinking further down the line with us
Considering he has yet to win a cap he hardly expects a seat in front row of plane
Could have been taken out of context or maybe he has no interest in us
Time will tell

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 9:18am
Seems a fair  enough comment to me,  He has not played for us at senior level and he is basically saying he would rather stay up this season with a team he has played with and establishing himself as a premier league player than go as a back up to a squad that he has not been yet.  

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Seems a fair  enough comment to me,  He has not played for us at senior level and he is basically saying he would rather stay up this season with a team he has played with and establishing himself as a premier league player than go as a back up to a squad that he has not been yet.  

yeah perhaps he feels ignored? we always call up players like keogh from the championship and he has been continually overlooked, could be a bit bitter. dont think he will end up in our squad anyway tbh. tierney has the best chance imo

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 10:39am
Why are peole talking about Pilkington here Confused

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 1:10pm
Ya, I admire his honesty as well - albeit in a begrudging kind of a way - but I bet he'll accept a call up this time next year when he's still being ignored by England.

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Tuff Paddy Tuff Paddy wrote:

What he says on an English radio station is always going to be different to what he (or most players) say to an Irish station. 

What would the Norwich fans have thought if he'd had said that he'd prefer to play in a competition next summer for a team he's never played for than see his club team stay upConfused

Wouldn't read anything into it nor would I be shouting from the rafters for his call up. He'd be an improvement on Lawrence but if he's not comitted, give me Lawrence any day.

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 8:41am
Scored for Norwich

-------------

Posted By: TheBeachBoysReunion
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:02pm
Hoolahan beat the offside trap and set up Surman with a superb cross. 1-0 to Norwich at Molineux.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:04pm
Happy days. More Fantasy Footie points. Gwan Wes!

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:13pm
Came very close with a left footer from outside the box.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 2:40pm
Everything goes through him, he's not on par with the likes of Silva obviously, but he's definitely the same sort of player. He always impresses me, really hope he gets a chance in a friendly. 

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 2:41pm
Ward and Hoolahan both had very good games. Hunt is an impact player, nothing more. Doyle didn't do much after coming on.

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 5:43pm
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/60361/wolves-vs-norwich-city/player-ratings - http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/60361/wolves-vs-norwich-city/player-ratings

Wesley Hoolahan

Full of adventure and incision. Drifted from the left flank to the centre. Inch-perfect cross allowed Surman to score. Has taken to the top flight like a duck to water. Hooked at the end for Bennett.

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3408403,00.html - http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3408403,00.html

Man of the match: Wes Hoolahan gets the nod for Norwich after an impressive showing from the midfield schemer. He was at the centre of Norwich's best moves.

Posted By: ilovetrap
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 5:51pm
a joke if he doesnt get a chance to impress in feb.

Posted By: gavin_bonner
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 8:32am
He had a great game last night - really hope Trap trys out a few players in the friendlies. Coleman/Hoolahan/Stokes

Posted By: rainpaulo
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 10:53am
What every about Coleman and Hoolahan trying to get into Traps team Stokes doesn't have a prayer.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:56am
Stokes hasnt got a hope!!!

Id like to see Wes get a chance against Hungary!!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:05pm
Genuinely gutted for the lad
Although a different player to Green he deserved a call up
Must be heartbreaking for him knowing no matter what he does he won't get a call up

-------------

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:07pm
ClapClapClapAgree fully

Posted By: greengiant
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:10pm
Never gonna happen IMO...unfortunately...where would u play him?

-------------
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

Never gonna happen IMO...unfortunately...where would u play him?

This is true Trap has two more years after Euros and he will just never pick him
You would hope next campaign McCarthy will get more game time and Ireland will probably be available.

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:05pm
just scored against Arsenal,to equalise for Norwich

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:09pm
Poor Wezo, he could score a hatrick today and Trap would give a flute. Shocking keeping. 

-------------

Posted By: danny10tot
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:13pm
AND AGAIN :D

-------------
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

George Best

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:18pm
Go on Wes Clap

I'm not watching the game but i was on livescore and Holt got credited with the second goal , im assuming it's a mistake?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:30pm
Top man......,imagine Hoolahan....McCarthy....Ireland all at home watching the games on tv this summer and we complain we have a small pool of players to pick from

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:39pm
Got the first and assisted the second looks dangerous every time he gets the ball.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Go on Wes Clap

I'm not watching the game but i was on livescore and Holt got credited with the second goal , im assuming it's a mistake?

It was on target before it took a massive deflection. Usually awarded to the striker.

-------------

Posted By: gwhite
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:53pm
Good solid performance from Hot Lips Hoolahan. Quality wise he's ahead of Gibson, Green & Whelan any day of the week...

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by gwhite gwhite wrote:

Good solid performance from Hot Lips Hoolahan. Quality wise he's ahead of Gibson, Green & Whelan any day of the week...

Where did that come from LOL ???

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by gwhite gwhite wrote:

Where did that come from LOL ???

M*A*S*H I assume

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: gwhite
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:22pm
Yeah, twas the slapper from M*A*S*H I was referring to. Good nickname for a footballer but, eh?

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:24pm
Cheers lads its only after registering with me now after you both said M*A*S*H , i watch that show a fair bit its quality!

Brilliant nickname on Wes LOL

-------------

Posted By: Real Irlanda
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 6:59pm
if trap wanted too, he cud pick hoolahon on d left...he puts fahey out wide sometimes when he is a central midfielder. Trap has treated him very badly

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Real Irlanda Real Irlanda wrote:

if trap wanted too, he cud pick hoolahon on d left...he puts fahey out wide sometimes when he is a central midfielder. Trap has treated him very badly

Trap does not see him as a winger, mainly because I would imagine he has neither the pace or physicality required when it comes to tracking back. A lot of people criticising Trap for his omission conveniently forget that Hoolahan was in early Trap squads and even played a few minutes Vs Columbia in Craven Cottage, which is a longer time ago than most of his cheerleaders on here have been going on about him.  At 29, unlikely to be the future of Irish football either. 

If, for some reason, he was picked and another recent hero like McCarthy or McClean was to miss out, there would be more whinging on here. Before somebody inevitably trots out the ' Well I'm entitled to my opinion' line, it seems there are a lot of posters on here who would see an ideal Ireland midfield as something like Hoolahan/McCarthy/Ireland/McClean and see that as having no consequences as regards the effect it would have on the defence/goals conceded, tis kind of worrying that so many fail to see what Whelan/Andrews primary function is in the team. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Trap does not see him as a winger, mainly because I would imagine he has neither the pace or physicality required when it comes to tracking back. A lot of people criticising Trap for his omission conveniently forget that Hoolahan was in early Trap squads and even played a few minutes Vs Columbia in Craven Cottage, which is a longer time ago than most of his cheerleaders on here have been going on about him.  At 29, unlikely to be the future of Irish football either. 

If, for some reason, he was picked and another recent hero like McCarthy or McClean was to miss out, there would be more whinging on here. Before somebody inevitably trots out the ' Well I'm entitled to my opinion' line, it seems there are a lot of posters on here who would see an ideal Ireland midfield as something like Hoolahan/McCarthy/Ireland/McClean and see that as having no consequences as regards the effect it would have on the defence/goals conceded, tis kind of worrying that so many fail to see what Whelan/Andrews primary function is in the team. 

Great post Deise.

Why do Irish people always want something to whinge about?

Any other country who hadn't qualified for a tournament in 10 years wouldn't bat an eye-lid or question the managers selection policy , but some of our fans take the biscuit ffs. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 8:37pm
Wouldnt want to see him in a 4 man midfield but if he was to go would give an option to play a 5 man midfield if needed against the likes of spain to pack the midfield. Any time a team has played a bit of football against and play a 4-5-1 system we just get outnumbered in the middle of the park and thorn apart like against Russia home and the luckiest draw Ive ever witnessed to get a draw out there. Slovakia were the better team at Lansdown aswell. Feel sorry for Whelan and Andrews in that situation aswell as they are exposed even further.

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 8:41pm
Embarrassed
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Excellent pointClap  The amount of times Whelan has to be physically supported coming off the pitch when being replaced in an Ireland match says it all imo.  And no-one ever comments on it- worrying all right. 
Edit: Trap "cheerleader"LOLEmbarrassed

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 8:48pm
I'd have loved to have see Wes get a chance , but has his ship sailed at international level?

-------------

Posted By: ilovepaulgreen
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 9:05pm
its shocking that paul green has a better chance of goin to poland than m ccarthy,holohan,mcclean,coleman just to name a few,all these players give us a plan b,what does green give us?nothing,but of course trap doesnt want to have a plan b,he is to stubborn!!

Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by ilovepaulgreen ilovepaulgreen wrote:

its shocking that paul green has a better chance of goin to poland than m ccarthy,holohan,mcclean,coleman just to name a few,all these players give us a plan b,what does green give us?nothing,but of course trap doesnt want to have a plan b,he is to stubborn!!

Paul Green is ahead of McCarthy, Hoolahan and Coleman because he turns up when he's told to and does exactly what Trap tells him to do (to the best of his abilities),  which makes him smarter both than McCarthy and Hoolahan together.. and luckier than Coleman (currently suffering from injury and lack of form).
  As far as McClean is concerned,  all due respect mateyThumbs Up but as far as I can make out the lad is way ahead of Paul Green in Traps pecking order atm so he shouldn't be in your list anyway.    

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: collie2771
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:17am

Originally posted by ilovepaulgreen ilovepaulgreen wrote:

Paul Green is ahead of McCarthy, Hoolahan and Coleman because he turns up when he's told to and does exactly what Trap tells him to do (to the best of his abilities),  which makes him smarter both than McCarthy and Hoolahan together.. and luckier than Coleman (currently suffering from injury and lack of form).
  As far as McClean is concerned,  all due respect mateyThumbs Up but as far as I can make out the lad is way ahead of Paul Green in Traps pecking order atm so he shouldn't be in your list anyway.    

I DONT KNOW MUCH REALLY, WES HOOLOHAN, HOW MANY GOALS IS THAT NOW FROM WHAT POSITION DOES HE PLAY, SURELY HE HAS TO BE CONSIDERED..... PEOPLE ARE MENTIONING PAUL GREEN BUT HOW MANY HAS HE SCORED THIS SEASON? WHA??????

WE NEED GOALS FROM ANYWHERE, SUBSTITUTES AN ALL....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net