Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=30221
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:44am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: David Forde
Posted By: FiremanDan
Subject: David Forde
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:38pm
Looked like a Premiership keeper with 30 caps under his belt out there. Was confident and handled excellently on a tricky wet night.

I know it's only one game but you'd wonder how he could get to 31 relatively unnoticed when he looked class tonight.

-------------
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Replies:
Posted By: SteviesGranny
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:38pm
That fan that came onto the pitch thought so aswell!

Posted By: MariborKev
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:41pm
I'm delighted for Fordie.

We got to know him when he was at Derry and he is a complete gent.  He was superb for us in our European run in 2006, his double save away in Gothenburg was unbelievable.  To be fair, he has only come to major attention since he moved to Millwall and he was great for then the year they got prompted.

There was a fair bit of confusion when he was younger, people though that he was only Welsh qualified, despite his protestations to the contrary.

Posted By: SteviesGranny
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:43pm
With Given, Westwood and Forde we are looking strong in the goalkeeper department.

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by FiremanDan FiremanDan wrote:

I know it's only one game but you'd wonder how he could get to 31 relatively unnoticed when he looked class tonight.

unfortunately its probably cos he has sent alot of time playing in league of ireland and champioonship in england.

-------------
cup champions

Posted By: Shelsman
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:59pm
never looked world class at derry but impecable tonite

-------------
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:11pm
Great performance. A real success story this lad Clap

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: stiffler
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:43pm

Is this the lad who played against Liverpool in 2005 for TNS?

great full debut Clap

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:50pm
Had a class game tonight.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: MariborKev
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by stiffler stiffler wrote:

Is this the lad who played against Liverpool in 2005 for TNS?

great full debut Clap

No, you are thinking of Gerard Doherty who replaced Fordie at Derry.

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:55pm

I rembmeber him down training with Football Gaa club about 6/7 years ago.

Fairplay to himClap

His nephew Ronan Forde who is currently Salthill Devons Number 1 has represented underage too.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: ballymacB
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 5:12pm
Kept a clean sheet today against leeds

-------------

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 5:13pm
Good start Thumbs Up

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 5:22pm
Judging by the updates on BBC it was an easy game for him

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 5:44pm
Noel Hunt up front for leeds...that is all

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 12:14am
Looked poor today despite keeping a clean sheet, came out to the edge of the box to claim a ball and lost it, was lucky he had a defender on the line to clear it.

Posted By: rainpaulo
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 7:09am
To be fair to the lad he just isn't that good....I'm surprised he plays at such a high level.

Posted By: PaulMcGrath5
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 9:07am
Nominated for Championship player of the month.

Good to see he is in top form coming into the Scotland match.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 9:11am
Brilliant against Germany . He definitely has a bit of presence about him .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Trapcandoit
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:46pm
  He's tightened up his mad clearance game and is actually applying some thought into that whole side of things- during the last two games for us this was very evident but he still needs to work a lot more on it (imv).

He'll most likely never be a Bonner or a Given.  Nevertheless his presence at the back is admittedly pretty awesome and would be as strong as Bonner's was; he also would have the edge on Given in shot-stopping ability.  He can come out to attack crosses which is something new he brings to the table.  He should do all right v Scotland if he gets the call and stays fully aware of the importance of responsible goalkeeping distribution

[Edit:Needs to use his hands more in this also- his footballing is too all-over-the-place and is unbelievably risky.]

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:59pm
Good to know he's in form. His distribution is a serious downside to his game though. Desperately needs to improve on it.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 1:21pm
unlikely to improve given his age,.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:39pm
Decent documentary about David Forde. Very open about his feelings around being left out of the Euros squad.

Posted By: MacMathuna
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 10:50am
Definetly hard done by. I know hes career was on the downward before the euros but to not bring him a low blow. Shays Status got him into the team.

Super professional about it thoughClap

-------------
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by MacMathuna MacMathuna wrote:

Definetly hard done by. I know hes career was on the downward before the euros but to not bring him a low blow. Shays Status got him into the team.

should of went ahead of Given

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Should have. Or should've. Not should f**king of.

I expect better from you NR

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 12:02pm

He was certainly unlucky as, despite the downward trajectory his career was on at that point, he was still a superior option to Given in nets. Having said that, you can understand why O'Neill opted for someone with Given's experience as the third choice keeper. I could be wrong but also remember Given being more involved in the qualifying than Forde was which also likely went in his favour.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

He was certainly unlucky as, despite the downward trajectory his career was on at that point, he was still a superior option to Given in nets. Having said that, you can understand why O'Neill opted for someone with Given's experience as the third choice keeper. I could be wrong but also remember Given being more involved in the qualifying than Forde was which also likely went in his favour.

Forde started our first 4 games, before Given waltzed back in and took his place for the next 4.5 games going off injured with Randolph taking over for the last game and playoffs.

Id argue Forde was more involved and vital in us getting a point away to Germany, he was absoutely fantastic that night!

Where as Given arguably caused us 4pts vs Poland and Scotland.

Worst decision MON has made so far.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Forde started our first 4 games, before Given waltzed back in and took his place for the next 4.5 games going off injured with Randolph taking over for the last game and playoffs.

Id argue Forde was more involved and vital in us getting a point away to Germany, he was absoutely fantastic that night!

He must be doing alright if his worst decision was choosing who to be third choice keeper.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

you used to be cool

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 3:09pm
Really enjoyed that. On a serious note - the mental state of footballers is f**ked. So much depression in the game, very sad.

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 4:31pm
A more honest and honourable player you won't meet . It wasn't O'neill that pushed for given to come back into the squad .

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

A more honest and honourable player you won't meet . It wasn't O'neill that pushed for given to come back into the squad .

What are you inferring? Hardly Roy?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 4:45pm
I've great time for Fordey but I don't think it was an overly harsh decision by O'Neill not to bring him to France. Would've preferred him over Given but it was always going to be unlikely either of them would get a game anyway as third choice. 

Generally did well for us and his last minute save away to Sweden was one of his most important contributions. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Pretty sure there was a falling out between Roy and Forde. The documentary suggests that anyway. Doesn't seem like he was too happy with Alan Kelly either or the player that refused to give his nephew a signature.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 10:23pm
Great documentary.  Fordey never put a foot wrong for Eire and was very harshly treated.  Bringing Given back was a joke. It was a crime to leave him out of the Euro squad after contributing to get us there.  I didnt realise he stood up to Roy Keane and that was his downfall.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 10:28pm
Could be playing Championship football next season for only 2nd time in his career. 

A very late bloomer, served his purpose very well for Ireland.

Edit: Didn't see Millwall released him Thumbs Down

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:08am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

He must be doing alright if his worst decision was choosing who to be third choice keeper.

No, bringing back Given and dropping Forde was his worst decision. It wasnt about becoming 3rd choice then. Given walked back into the team ahead of Forde and Westwood. Only for injury he would have remained no.1.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:53am
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Pretty sure there was a falling out between Roy and Forde. The documentary suggests that anyway. Doesn't seem like he was too happy with Alan Kelly either or the player that refused to give his nephew a signature.

Throwing it out there - how do we know it's Keane? Standing up to him over what? There was no goalkeeper coaches around - he was in tears over that which seemed to be a whole lot more to him than a disagreement with "some player".

Maybe the lads that know him personally could clarify.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Great documentary.  Fordey never put a foot wrong for Eire and was very harshly treated.  Bringing Given back was a joke. It was a crime to leave him out of the Euro squad after contributing to get us there.  I didnt realise he stood up to Roy Keane and that was his downfall.

Here we go Clown

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Here we go Clown

Youre the clown. Mention R.Keane from Cork and they go all out defence.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 9:25am

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Here we go Clown

Youre the clown. Mention R.Keane from Cork and they go all out defence.

LOL

You mentioned a name, I didn't hear a name. If it's Roy Keane it's Roy Keane but you throw a name out there as if you know. It's so childish. 

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 9:35am
If you heard " a certain unnamed individual who hails from the Cork area sporting a Saddam Hussein beard" you would refuse to think it was R. Keane from Mayfield.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 9:37am

If you heard " a certain unnamed individual who hails from the Cork area sporting a Saddam Hussein beard" you would refuse to think it was R. Keane from Mayfield.

So you didn't hear a name? Do you know the name of the estate in Mayfield?

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:38am
Signed for Cambridge United

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Signed for Cambridge United

Great to hear , Did a frank and honest interview with Richie Sadler on Second Captains really worth a listen too

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:14pm
Nice Irish contingent at the Abbey this year.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 1:58pm
Great doc TA.

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 2:05pm
Just watched the doc. Makes me want to give Given a good puckin'. 

Was it Seamus McDonagh that was hiding in the jacks when he said he was looking for support after getting the news that he wasn't on the plane?

Some of the carry on in the squad is an utter disgrace. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 2:36pm

Just watched the doc. Makes me want to give Given a good puckin'. 

Was it Seamus McDonagh that was hiding in the jacks when he said he was looking for support after getting the news that he wasn't on the plane?

Some of the carry on in the squad is an utter disgrace. 

What's this sport? 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 6:16pm
Forde was absolutely superb yesterday in his first home game for Cambridge, as good a goalkeeping performance as you will see at this level. He really didn't deserve to lose. 

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:48pm
has it ever come out who the player was who wouldn't sign an autograph?

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:55pm
Has become a hero very quickly in this part of the world, great personality to go with his confident goalkeeping too. I hope the club are trying to tie him down for another season.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 2:17pm
Beaten from seventy yards yesterday, in fairness it is one of the best goals I have seen live.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 12:14am
Watching Fordey's documentary for a 2nd time and picked up a few things I missed the first time around. 

This is my interpretation and reading between the lines but it appears that Forde fell out with either Keane or MON over the drinking culture.  His mentor in the documentary says this member of the management team wouldn't take too kindly to someone standing up to him.  Forde says he was shocked at the drinking culture and how a lot of the players are boys not men and very immature.  He also talks about the arrogance in a lot of the players. That one person refused to give an autograph to his nephew and how he couldn't believe it.   Then says how hurt he was that Seamus McDonough didn't come to say anything to him when MON left him out of the Erio 2016 squad.

I always like Forde and thought he was very harshly treated.  He says MON only told him he wasn't playing as hour before kick off versus Poland after he went out to inspect the pitch. He said he was in shock that he shook his hand.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 4:28pm
Really was an absolute disgraceful decision to bring Given back into the fold, that not only ousted Forde from the no.1 position despite not playing any club football in 4+ years at that stage but also ended up in him being left behind for the Euros.

Forde never once put a foot wrong for us, always came across as a pro and very likable guy.. You really have to feel for him.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 7:16pm
Forde comes across as really down to earth lad and I'd have no reason to doubt his interpretation of past events with Ireland.

That said, it's always hard to judge from the outside over a spurned player's views on McDonagh as with the Kevin Foley situation, we could be rushing to judge the conduct of the Irish management team without their side of the argument.

Force might feel understandably aggrieved amd that could cloud his take on events though I would say again, I don't think he seems the type to stir sh*te or be intentionally dishonest about past events in the Irish set up

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: foggy.nelson
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:57am
set to announce his retirement today

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 5:01pm
Well done Fordey.  You got shafted by MON, Keane and Shay Given.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:23pm
Best of luck Fordey treated shamefully by the Irish Managment Team and Shay Given before the Euros in 2016. Never let us down whenever he played for us .

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:54pm
A year too late! 

-------------

Posted By: Pauldaly1984
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:24pm

Best of luck Fordey treated shamefully by the Irish Managment Team and Shay Given before the Euros in 2016. Never let us down whenever he played for us .

Treated shamefully maybe but he was the worst keeper around the squad at that time. Wasn’t a great keeper let’s he honest. Practically threw the ball into the net in tibilisi when mcgeady saved us

Posted By: JohnSwift
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Treated shamefully maybe but he was the worst keeper around the squad at that time. Wasn’t a great keeper let’s he honest. Practically threw the ball into the net in tibilisi when mcgeady saved us

That’s harsh. He had some big performances, particularly away to Sweden and Germany. Also played very well against England at Wembley. Not sure he was a weaker keeper than Given in 2016.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:02pm

Given was useless when he came back.  His reactions were no better than Poznan.  Never forgive him for that.  My granny would have saved some of those goals.

-------------

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:02pm

Likeable, and a decent back-up option, but never a number 1 international keeper.

8 League appearances for third-tier Millwall in 15/16. His career was in decline and the mistakes were becoming more frequent. I'm not sure he has too much cause for complaint about being left out of the Euros squad. Though how the matter was dealt with and who was picked in preference to him is a slightly different matter.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:46pm

He always did well for us, don't think he ever put a foot wrong.

The Sweden home game was probably his only bad game. A one off too.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 11:14pm
Bizarre way to announce his retirement.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 11:22pm

This 

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 11:33pm
Seems a decent fella by all accounts, not too bad at stopping shots, very good at commanding the box, kicking & distribution well short of a top class keeper. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 11:43pm
Never put a foot wrong for us. A good servant for the Eire Clap

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 11:45pm
Dunno if I'd say that, he certainly put plenty of cleances wrong for us. Never should have been first choice but he gave it his all and by and large did a decent job, wish him all the best going forward.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 11:54pm
From what I remember, he was a decent shot stopper but had very poor kick outs.

Fair play to him, he stepped up at a time we had very few options

Posted By: The Tribesman
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 12:10am
David, enjoy your retirement.
You always did well for us and my Beloved Galway Utd!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 7:09am
Originally posted by The Tribesman The Tribesman wrote:

Any hear what he plans on doing going forward ?

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by The Tribesman The Tribesman wrote:

Any hear what he plans on doing going forward ?
Walk backwards.

-------------

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 8:24am
did ok for us but like most players it would baffle you how many caps some of these guys get playing for us while playing at a poor level in England. remember also other than the sweden game he was caught rotten for the goal in Tbilisi. think that was the end of him under O'Neill and rightfully so. 

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 12:56am
he was a good honest championship level keeper who took his chance when we had few options,never let us down.germany game was a standout for him.

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 10:03am
Had a great chat with David about Euro 2012, Trappatoni, Martin O'Neill and the night he kept out Mario Goetze in Gelsenkirchen.

Well worth a listen .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmIi0Oshlc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmIi0Oshlc

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:42pm
Really enjoyed that.

Some nice words about Trap.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:47pm
Fordey is an absolute gentleman who never gave up and reached the highest level in football. Was treated deplorably by MO’N & RK in 2016.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Really enjoyed that.

Some nice words about Trap.

Yea he had a lot of good things to say about Trap and he was obviously very proud to play for Ireland.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:02pm

Fordey is an absolute gentleman who never gave up and reached the highest level in football. Was treated deplorably by MO’N & RK in 2016.

Agree with that , He should have got a game in Poland.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Had a great chat with David about Euro 2012, Trappatoni, Martin O'Neill and the night he kept out Mario Goetze in Gelsenkirchen.

Well worth a listen .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmIi0Oshlc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmIi0Oshlc

Will get a listen on Tuesday 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 2:31pm
good stuff JP enjoyed that seems a really nice guy and fan as well 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net