Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=28766
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 1:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The future of the Singing Section
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: The future of the Singing Section
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:32am

I think we have come to a cross roads with regard to the singing section. There are some issues that need to be addressed very soon imo.

1. The singing section could break up if we do not address the season ticket issue for next aug-may. There are only 2 competitive games in this season ticket and most of the games will be friendlies. Ive talked to a a few lads and also reading the vibe on here and it seems to me that alot of people either A) cant afford to renew their season ticket or B) Think they can save money by simply buying a ticket game by game. I think most lads fit into category B. If lads do this they will probably not be given a singing section seat for next year and be allocated a different seat game by game. Those Aviva security guards are also checking that your ticket is for area 116 so there may be an issue with lads who think they can just walk into our area in the future. Some deal with Delaney and the Ticket Office needs to be done if possible.

2. The location of the singing section. Needs to be moved in my opinion and some of the other lads opinion. It should be A) Behind the goal in the North stand, B) directly behind the goal in the South stand or C) opposite the halfway line in the east stand. We are not prominent where we are. Half of us are under the balcony and cant be seen. We look like a group of about 150 from other parts of the stadium even though theres up to 600 on big game nights. People dont realise how small the SS looks right now.  The whole purpose of the SS is to try to get an atmosphere going to help the team. We want the rest of the stadium to join in chants if possible. This will be hard to do but if we were seen in a more prominent position by the crowds and TV people would take more notice of us.

3. Banners and Flags. Currently there is some Carlsberg advertising directly above the SS. Therefore we cannot cover them with banners. We can cover Aviva ones and balcony where there is no advertising. Why cant these be moved 20yds over so we can use this balcony for our banners. There is some space between the SS and the west stand to hang stuff but its not over our heads and cant be seen by TV.  I think it would be great if there was a big vinyl banner that we could cover the balcony with something along the lines of ''YBIG THE VOICE OF LANSDOWNE'' or ''BRINGING BACK THE ROAR''. Im not bothered what the slogan is as long as we have something semi permanent up there above us for every game identifying who we are. Which brings me to point 4.

4. Very few people know who we are. No one even takes notice of us. We look like a bunch of Rovers supporters who have come to a game together and acting the eejit. Thats if they have even noticed us as I said. We have nothing much which identifies us apart from the ybig flag which is on the grass but to many people it just looks like an ireland flag with come on you boys in green on it.  Declan King the PA announcer should be mentioning the YBIG Snging Section
before the game and at half time encouraging the crowd to join in with the songs. He should also be telling the crowd if they want to sing songs and join the SS go to YBIG.ie or phone 01 337848 whatever. The SS needs to be bigger.

Its a new stadium and there will be teething problems. But we are now 6 games in or whatever and its now time to start getting things done. Flag poles is another issue. We keep getting assurances that its ok to bring them in yet every game same sh*t.  I just think we are at a crossroads where the SS can be bigger and better or fall apart completely.  I hope this sparks off a discussion here so hopefully we can get Delaney to deliver on his word.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:36am
what about getting a name, instead of just being called the singing section

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:36am
Top post Trap J , I concur massively Thumbs%20Up

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

what about getting a name, instead of just being called the singing section

The hedge i think it was originially

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: zoolander
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:38am
Good shout from RB, not sure about the hedge tho.

-------------
It's a walk-off!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:41am

I prefer "The Asylum" as a nameThumbs%20Up

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:41am
Well said Trap, and fully agree. THis was my first game there as I hadn't been able to travel over before yet, and it sounds great when you're in it. But watching games on telly. you don't always notice it unless you know of it and specifically look and listen to it.

It's quite spread out right now, need to all be in 1 area/corner

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:42am
eh lads, the name thing is not really a massive factor FFS

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:43am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

eh lads, the name thing is not really a massive factor FFS
We will go with the Asylum so

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:43am
A few of us spoke with Tony O'Donoghue and John Delaney and asked them to try and promote the SS a bit further.

We did try and explain that no ones knows about the SS but slowly people are getting wind of it and getting tickets for this section.
But the FAI and RTE need to try and promote it a bit further.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:46am
best way to get noticed is to make a political protest

no-one had heard tell of the Green Brigade until Poppy Day

LOL

Posted By: heyirish
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:50am
I have looked at the videos on youtube and they are absolutley top notch but wouldnt it be better to be doing this before the game to try build up atmosphere???

Definatley move it directly behind the goal in the South Stand

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Posted By: kevjreilly
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:52am
Good post TJ, some good questions. I have been going to ireland games for about 14 yrs now and Sat was my 1st time in the singing section, have to say it was the best craic I have had at a home game in a long time.
I think the work done here so far has been amazing, but there could be a huge improvement. I think moving right behind the goal would help and we defo need more awarness of the ss, like you say people think its a bunch of rovers fans.

-------------
Read it 3 times before posting

Posted By: bananarepublic
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:53am
From someone who observes and tries to join in as much as possible from the upper west I think the most logical location is the North stand (You are visible to all parts of the ground and you can cover the whole back wall with flags and have no issue with advertising)

Im dreading the game against the north because you just know that whole section will be wall to wall union jacks while we might have a few flags laid out on the grass in from of the SS)

I think when people see you going mental, clapping, jumping, waving scarfs , flags etc then they may be more inclined to join in and yis are lost where you are at the moment.

Keep up the good work no matter what.

Posted By: Justice No. 1
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:59am
Ban Yellow Jacket Insurance Company f**ks from being anywhere near the SSAngry
Ban "Oh Tappatoni he used to be Italian but he's Irish now" NO HE'S NOTAngry - In fairness i only heard this embarrassing tune once last nite

Get Three Mobile to promote it with their advertising of Ireland games. i'll see if i can get some beachballs to knock about like the  footballs last  nite

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:00am
Well said TJ.

We can only be noticed if the issue of flags and banners are sorted out as they make us stand out in the stadium and which let people know who we are and what we are trying to do.
I had a walk about during the game last night and it does look like just a few rowdies singing in a part of the ground and to be honest it looks quite small (even though it was a friendly).

We do need to be behind the goal with tifo flags, our own individual ones and some impressive banners on the hoarding.

Why are the FAI not giving us a dig out here?

Football is entertainment and the crowd need to be entertined wether its the football or the atmosphere at the game. But if we have both they will sell more tickets.

It looks like somebody in the fai has a problem with us loyal fans who are only trying to help the cause.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:03am

Well said Trap.

What does the North stand hold ? I presume if we were to move from the South Stand that the whole of the North Stand would be branded a "Singing Section" and that be made clear to people when buying a ticket, No point in half of it being a signing section as it would look stupid if you saw a small number of fans singing in such a small stand. We need to get that full of supporters willing to sing and make an atmosphere.

This is all of course if we did decide to move the Singing Section

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: PaulMcGrath
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:08am
Have had a great time in the singing section this season. Very important we get it right for next year. True about promoting it though. Was speaking about the SS to a couple of lads last night - who have been to every game this season and they had never heard of it - which I was amazed at. But a huge thanks from me to everyone involved in setting it up - has been brilliant.

-------------
Ooh Aah Paul McGrath say ooh aah Pau McGrath

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Flag poles is another issue. We keep getting assurances that its ok to bring them in yet every game same sh*t.

most fan groups I know that use flag poles bring them in really early, hours before kick off, and don't remove them until well after the game ends. Perhaps there could be two or three people nominated to bring them in and cleared by the FAI to be in the stadium that early?
For saturday games this would be fine, but for midweek games, work, etc would cause some problems with getting to the stadium that early

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:33am

Excellent points Trap. Agree, after this campaign you might have people unwilling to buy the season ticket again

My suggestion would be for FAI to market the North Terrace as the singing section as a category of ticket (and have an official name for it). Sell the season tickets based on what we are. ‘Like minded supporters who want to stand and sing for the whole game’. So basically auldfellas who want to sit for the game know not to go for those tickets.

The North holds about 3000-5000 does it? It would take a great effort to fill that.  But we got 600 in the singing section through this site basically, if the FAI actually marketed it correctly, we could be looking to increase that significantly. Qualification for the Euro’s would help this out big time!

If we had the North, we would be visible to the whole stadium. We could hang the flags on the glass and could have displays like the League of Ireland behind the goal.

Posted By: ShannonHibs10
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:34am
Originally posted by bananarepublic bananarepublic wrote:

From someone who observes and tries to join in as much as possible from the upper west I think the most logical location is the North stand (You are visible to all parts of the ground and you can cover the whole back wall with flags and have no issue with advertising)

Im dreading the game against the north because you just know that whole section will be wall to wall union jacks while we might have a few flags laid out on the grass in from of the SS)

I think when people see you going mental, clapping, jumping, waving scarfs , flags etc then they may be more inclined to join in and yis are lost where you are at the moment.

Keep up the good work no matter what.

Its a load of boll***S not being able to hang our flags in our stadium. Its more important to show a sponsor than hang a tri colour.I brought my flag once, to the Andorra game and placed it on the pitch. Whats the point in bringing a flag to place it on the pitch. I have not brought it since as whats the point.

Against the north they will have a powerful display of Union Jacks in the North Stand. If we moved to the North Stand then there would be no issue with us hanging our flags, we would be seen by the crowd as well as the television cameras thus giving better exposure to the SS.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:42am
I imagine the North is earmarked for games against nations that will be travelling with a big support. Easier to accomadate them all to one stand and not mixing with everyone. Is there anyway to check with the FAI is the North stand is defo a non runner.

Posted By: AndyMc
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:53am
I remember someone saying to me the view wasnt as good behin the north stand?

Do you think the reason we are in 116 and not the middle is because they know we will come regardless, where as seats behind the goal would be easier to sell than corner seats to people who come regularly?

-------------
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 10:57am
Prefer if we moved behind the goal in the south stand, view from the north is pretty flat. Also prefer to stay in Row Z myself , not to low and not too far back.

Should be relatively straightforword instad of 117/116 allocate 115/114, Both were pretty full for a meaningless midweek friendly

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: da_launchpad
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:00am
it HAS got to be moved from to either behind goals in south stand or north stand. the Irish support young and old are all about the atmosphere and getting behind the team.

SS would be heard & seen clearly in either of these positions and ripple effect would take off. Must get the flag display situation resolved first though. every Ireland game in my memory the obvious thing was all the flags around the stadium be it Landsdowne or an away game.

-------------
If in doubt just f**k it out!!! Stop the nonsense as Johnny Giles would say

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:00am
RE the drum/bodhran

Sounded class last night again, but maybe try to keep it going for longer? Don't just drop off half way through a chant The drum will keep it going!!

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by AndyMc AndyMc wrote:

I remember someone saying to me the view wasnt as good behin the north stand?

Do you think the reason we are in 116 and not the middle is because they know we will come regardless, where as seats behind the goal would be easier to sell than corner seats to people who come regularly?

I presume lower Tier halfway line tickets are a lot more expensive.
You'd probably end up diluting the SS if you moved there.

If we were in the North stand where do we put the away fans?
FAI probably prefer having the away fans here as its easier to isolate them.
Don't know how well the noise would travel either from there. Would look good though and easier for the rest of the stadium to spot us. Parts of the SS are hidden of under the upper tier.

Posted By: ColG
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:20am
The North stand would probably be the best in my opinion but as some of ya's are sayin I think the FAI have that reserved for large groups of travelling fans... But if we could get that it would be the best place It will do no harm to ask... I have enjoyed this season in the SS but we are just in a bad position we are sort of trapped in a corner.. Moving behind the goal may make a slight difference but wouldnt have teh same effect as in the North Stand... In the North Stand we could hand all our flags and in my opinion that would really make teh diofference!!

Posted By: BoboDub
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:38am
To reflect the recent historical incompetence of the country and team's administrators, and to appease the celtic fans, we could call it "the Bungle"

Posted By: soccerc
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:45am
Originally posted by BoboDub BoboDub wrote:

To reflect the recent historical incompetence of the country and team's administrators, and to appease the celtic fans, we could call it "the Bungle"

and our Mascot

Posted By: Beavis
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 11:55am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

RE the drum/bodhran

Sounded class last night again, but maybe try to keep it going for longer? Don't just drop off half way through a chant The drum will keep it going!!
Will do Mark...I get lazyThumbs%20Up. Nah actually it's more because I think the echo/reverb is mad when I'm under the roof and I was conscious that it might be a bit overpowering and taking away from the clapping/singing. So I was more using it just to get it going. If it's better to keep banging though, I'll do that.

Going to China for a few months so will be passing on bodhran duties for the Carling Cup games. Hope to be back for Slovakia though. There was another bodhran hiding over to the right yesterday and it's a shame that, if someones made the effort to lug the thing to the game they don't give it more of a go.

-------------
<insert witty comment>

Posted By: flick
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 12:22pm
The bad thing about the location now is the divide between the left and side and the right. Im on the right hand side as u go in the entrance of 116 and although it's in the SS, there is poor coordonation between both sides

Also I think we need to make the singing section better visually. A good few rolls of green toiletpaper to throw around to make us noticed, green confetti etc.

Another thing we could do would be to get people to walk down the stairs at entrance 117 and 115. That way we would automatically join in and the lads walking down the stairs will encourage the other sides to stand up.

-------------
GWAN YBIG

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 12:41pm
Good post TJ
I agree with trying to move the SS to behind the goal, leave the North stand for the opposition's fans. Being stuck under the roof doesn't help our cause either! The SS also needs a coupla leaders, one on each side to coordinate the singing, and possibly on each end too (Trapped, Sham, Beavis and his bodhran).
As regards to promoting the SS we have a coupla members who are journalists so maybe they can mention something about the SS in the build up to the next coupla games.
To be honest I can only see it getting bigger in the future, it's still early days!

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Posted By: statoir
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 1:37pm
Being more visible is key and marketing it officially will help extend it. Also agree with next seasons package on season tickets being the biggest factor in future success. The main objective is to get as many people singing as possible in the ground so it can't get too hardcore or intimidating for other Ire fans or they won't join us. The biggest boost fir the team is a full ground with loads singing not a concentration of a few hundred tucked away.

If we do successfully expand, it would be good to have the original group remembered in an informal name. As an example from this thread of asylum (or whatever word is apt) 'Asylum 116' or 'South 116' So even if we move sections it is irrelevant as the name is homage to the early days. Im sure there are more creative ideas but i like the idea of 116 being in there. I think to keep it marketable and branded for the fai to raise awareness and sell, singing section as its formal and official name is fine.

-------------
At number 1, its Gary Breen...

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 1:40pm
Could we get a newspaper to sponsor flags to be left on every seat in 116 and that way we wouldn't get them taken off us ? I know the Irish mail did it for the compromise rules series....

-------------

Posted By: McGeadskiStar
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 1:52pm
Lads only recently came to this site but have been going to all the home qualifiers since the start of the last campaign. I've had a season ticket for the upper tier in the west stand and I have to say the SS looks like great craic from where I am sitting. I'd really be interested in trying to get a season ticket for next season in the SS. Are they much more expensive than our cheaper upper tier season tickets? Also does anyone know if the season tickets for next year can be bought for just competitive games now that they've unbundled the tickets from friendlies?

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 2:04pm
same price mcgeadski - cheapest tickets on offer

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 2:10pm
Regarding flag poles. The idea about leaving the in the stadium earlier in the day is a good idea once they arent taken by the stewards when they begin their shifts.

Either that or would the FAI not just  put a rep on the one entrance that we go in and ensure theres no messing from the stewards and guards regarding the issue if they have indeed agreed prior that we are allowed them. 

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 2:27pm

a move to sections 114/113 rows e to z and aa to ss, easier to be picked up on the tv as wellThumbs%20Up

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 4:35pm

2. The location of the singing section. Needs to be moved in my opinion and some of the other lads opinion. It should be A) Behind the goal in the North stand, B) directly behind the goal in the South stand or C) opposite the halfway line in the east stand. We are not prominent where we are. Half of us are under the balcony and cant be seen. We look like a group of about 150 from other parts of the stadium even though theres up to 600 on big game nights. People dont realise how small the SS looks right now.  The whole purpose of the SS is to try to get an atmosphere going to help the team. We want the rest of the stadium to join in chants if possible. This will be hard to do but if we were seen in a more prominent position by the crowds and TV people would take more notice of us. 
All good points but i think this one is the most crucial. If we are behind the goal in the south we will be seen as well as heard. The south would be better than the north because there is more chance of people joining in on either side. It seems everyone agrees now that the SS should be behind the goal now. Just a case of getting the approval from JD now - couple of us mentioned it to him last night and he said he'd be in favour of it.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 4:49pm
As regarding a name, something like "Gate 116" or wherever we are? Take a leaf from the Greek fans, especially Panathanaikos. Same colour, similar emblem. We can gather a few ideas from their Youtube videos, not stealing what they do, just a similar idea on how to create a positive atmosphere.

Location is crucial, we're too hidden away. Behind the goal would be perfect as it would eliminate the schooligans getting in the TV camera's view and bring the attention of "Gate 116/115".

So much potential is there, we're just lacking a bit on an organisational front ie. displays, choreography etc

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: Ginzo
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 4:51pm
top post trap. i wouldnt be in favour of the north stand tho,the view is crap. behind the goal in the south lower would be my preference

Posted By: filthymcnasty
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:12pm
Lads best atmosphere I ever witnessed at the Aviva was the Rovers V Sligo cup final. Rovers were in that small stand and it was rocking. I say move the SS there and agree with whoever said rename it.

-------------
Going Green on November 14!!

Posted By: Beavis
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:19pm

Zealous bodies will be heard wherever we are. If Rovers had been in the South it would have been mad too.

Centre of the South makes most sense IMO. Also agree re the name. Don't the tickets say Block 116?...I'd go with that. Simple and unpretentious

-------------
<insert witty comment>

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:19pm
The Ranch

Posted By: filthymcnasty
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:22pm
Block 116 - perfect. Great shout.

-------------
Going Green on November 14!!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

The Ranch

Ah jaysis count will be on now agreeing with you

-------------

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

The Ranch

great shout tribal ClapClapClap

Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

Centre of the South makes most sense IMO. Also agree re the name. Don't the tickets say Block 116?...I'd go with that. Simple and unpretentious

so is this in fairness beavis ClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:43pm
Hill 116 Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:51pm

Name isnt important lads. We need to sort this stuff out by May if possible.

-------------

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:52pm

ball is rolling TJ Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

ball is rolling TJ Thumbs%20Up
ClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:55pm

I like TJ. He has good pier-sonn-al-ee-tae.

-------------

Posted By: eire32
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:57pm
aontaithe

Posted By: breno
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 6:39pm
Spend some of the money raised on advertising the SS or make the connection in the mag clearer

Posted By: Chopra Gunner
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

Hill 116 Big%20smile

-------------
What are you looking at?

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 7:34pm

middle of the south lower is best idea as mentioned here already. More visible, and more chance of fans either side joining in.

Even just to move to 115/116 as opposed to 116/117.

We do our best to get an atmosphere going (and admittedly have great craic doing so) and deserve more than to be bunged into the corner of the south stand.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 1:13am
I never understood why the SS were not behind and dead centre behind the goals block 115 would be perfect I would say . As said North stand is a none runner if major teams come over they will be given that area for their fans . Thing about the SS it has never seemed to have expanded just one section and that's it , yer it does overlap into 115 at the back but that much else really . So bottom line we have maybe 500 to 700 who want to be there and 20,000 are happy to sit elsewhere . Best pick a spot and keep it all moving around the ground will only confuse and upset other fans I would say . As you can guess I don't stand in the SS but can be seen with my Tartan rug and a coffee flask in 114

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 2:53am
Thought the SS was originally mainly 117 ?

Anyway if its going to move we might as well go the whole hog to  114/115 and not just shuffle across one block

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Karnage
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Thought the SS was originally mainly 117 ?

Anyway if its going to move we might as well go the whole hog to  114/115 and not just shuffle across one block

its mainly 116 man.

Yea some very good points raised here, i agree yes we should move behind the goal and i was in favour before of moving to the North end a few months ago when it was discussed but i think we a better off in the South end as we would probably be a bit isolated down the other.

We do need to make ourselves known a bit more i had two newbies in for the Urguay game and iv a feeling they'l be back which is a good think.

The flags is another major issue as it would really bring the place alive if we had a couple of big massive ones waving like you see in Polish leagues and the likes.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:20am
Originally posted by breno breno wrote:

Spend some of the money raised on advertising the SS or make the connection in the mag clearer
not a bad idea,spend a few bob on advertising in The Star maybe
anyone else hate the view from the SS?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:52am
Good points TJ . I think the one which would have most impact would be relocating the SS to the North stand. . .

On wednesday night I met my brother in law who was up from Wexford in the East Lower for a bit of the game and it was the first time I have seen the whole of the South stand. Its huge !! I forgot it was 3 tiers and noticed we are only a fraction of one tier. What stood out to me though was the fact that the SS isnt visible to a good portion of the ground . The North stand is the ONLY place in the ground everyone can see . . . .

As well as that the acoustics of the sound of the SS are not right because of where it is..

In the SS , the stand above most of us stops the sound from projecting outwards onto the pitch . What happens is while the SS seems to be rockin to us in it it doesnt resonate elsewhere. I saw this first hand on wednesday . If we were in the North end the noise coming from the SS would project directly outwards onto the pitch and generate a lot more noise. This would encourage the rest of the ground to join in a lot more. . . .

Also , It seems to be a recurring problem that the flags we get made up arent being put to full use because of the FAI's commitments to sponsors etc. . . This problem would be sorted immediately by moving to the North stand . No obstacles to putting up the flags and much more room for a quality display of green and white . .

As TJ says , due to the lack of competitive games included in next years season ticket now is the time to do something about it . . Moving to the North stand would make a massive difference to the effect of the SS so its something we should look into if we want to make Lansdowne our own and what have we got to lose by trying it for one season ? ? ? ? ? If it doesnt work we could just move back .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:11am
dont see the North stand being a runner from a security point of view
think the north is specially designed to alienate away fans,getting them in/out,seperate to the home support

if/when we Norn Iron/england where would we house there fans?
we cant keep moving the SS for certain games

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Mr Marbles
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

As regarding a name, something like "Gate 116" or wherever we are? Take a leaf from the Greek fans, especially Panathanaikos. Same colour, similar emblem. We can gather a few ideas from their Youtube videos, not stealing what they do, just a similar idea on how to create a positive atmosphere.

Location is crucial, we're too hidden away. Behind the goal would be perfect as it would eliminate the schooligans getting in the TV camera's view and bring the attention of "Gate 116/115".

So much potential is there, we're just lacking a bit on an organisational front ie. displays, choreography etc

Defo think it should be called gate 116

Posted By: bananarepublic
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 5:12am

I think the hanging of flags is a major issue though. I really miss that in the new lansdowne. Nothing better than seeing loads of flags hanging with place names or slogans all over the place. Wish we could resolve that somehow.

As I said before it will be awful come May 24th to see the North stand covered in blue white and red and us with a few flags draped on the grass.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 5:14am

how about printing out flyers and handing them out to people who are entering the whole of the south lower (or leave them on their seats). We could explain what we are trying to achieve with the standing and singing for the whole match and encourage them to wear green, scarfs etc. We could also include the songs/chants that we sing.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 5:30am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

how about printing out flyers and handing them out to people who are entering the whole of the south lower (or leave them on their seats). We could explain what we are trying to achieve with the standing and singing for the whole match and encourage them to wear green, scarfs etc. We could also include the songs/chants that we sing.

thats a good idea and maybe if we do a flyer the FAI might give us half a page or a full one in the match programme so the rest of the ground know what we are about

Posted By: Lurleen Lumpkin
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 6:00am

Great Idea. I definately think YBIG neeed to advertise more. I'm not talking about  spending a fortune on tv ads or in papers. There are plenty of ways to advertise for free. As someone above says some of our members are Journalists so come on boys start dropping our name into every article you write. I know there are also lads who have connections in Tv3 and RTE. Can you use your pull to get our boys/ladies interviews before/after matches extolling the virtues of the singing section. Can we convince the FAI to give us a page in the programme or at least do a feature on us? I like the idea someone had of getting a paper to leave flags out on the seats. It would be good advertising for the newspaper so it would be no harm to ask! When someone put up a picture of Bungle above it gave me an idea, what about getting a mascot out on the edge of the pitch in front of the singing section to jump around and generally act the maggot. It would draw attention to the SS and maybe the mascot could even help coordinate the chants. There are so many ways we can increase our profile. The only way to grow the SS is to let people know we're out there and show them what a good time they are missing!!

-------------
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 6:14am
how about "The Hive" because of the noise?

another thing about the positioning, if the Singing Section is behind the goal, it's easier to expand in both directions across all of the south stand. In the corner, it can really only go one way, back across the south stand. I think that would dilute the hardcore numbers the further you get across the sections.

Posted By: Babysis
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Lurleen Lumpkin Lurleen Lumpkin wrote:

Great Idea. I definately think YBIG neeed to advertise more. I'm not talking about  spending a fortune on tv ads or in papers. There are plenty of ways to advertise for free. As someone above says some of our members are Journalists so come on boys start dropping our name into every article you write. I know there are also lads who have connections in Tv3 and RTE. Can you use your pull to get our boys/ladies interviews before/after matches extolling the virtues of the singing section. Can we convince the FAI to give us a page in the programme or at least do a feature on us? I like the idea someone had of getting a paper to leave flags out on the seats. It would be good advertising for the newspaper so it would be no harm to ask! When someone put up a picture of Bungle above it gave me an idea, what about getting a mascot out on the edge of the pitch in front of the singing section to jump around and generally act the maggot. It would draw attention to the SS and maybe the mascot could even help coordinate the chants. There are so many ways we can increase our profile. The only way to grow the SS is to let people know we're out there and show them what a good time they are missing!!

Fair play Andy and Lurleen, I think they are great ideas. When we were trying to promote the Dave Langan benefit dinner we had small flyers done up which we left in pubs (that agreed) and by the sinks in the jacks, on the back of the toilet doors etc so people would see them. Some sound stewards (maybe an issue with the Aviva) let us hand them out to people at one of the gates going into the ground too.  

In terms of the free flags being left on seats I know we faced an uphill struggle to get the free green cards from the observer newspaper and that was for a play off match, but then if you dont ask you dont get, so no harm in tryingSmile

I really like the idea of the singing section being moved behind the goal as I can see security being an issue in preventing us from moving to the north stand. Being more visible will be a big help in promoting the section.

Good man TJ for starting this off Clap

-------------
First Commander-Galway Regatta

Posted By: sullo-bohs
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 7:37am
Whilst I dont sit in the ss I think it will grow much bigger by the time our next qualifying campaign starts. Most people prob only know about ss cause they are on this forum, spread the word further, make tickets for it more accessible such as what was done for the macedonia match, encourage ss of clubs to come along.

Also maybe another incentive for buying ss tickets could be done such as discounts or free ticket for a friendly if you attend 5 games. Something along those lines.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 7:41am
I think the flyers are a suberb idea. Well done trAndy. Who's volunteering for mascot?? haha

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 7:41am
Originally posted by sullo-bohs sullo-bohs wrote:

Also maybe another incentive for buying ss tickets could be done such as discounts or free ticket for a friendly if you attend 5 games. Something along those lines.

ah this might attract people who are miserable bastards who won't sing and are only there for the free tickets.

the incentive should be the craic, id hate to be anywhere else in the ground.

Posted By: sullo-bohs
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 7:46am
True but you may also get 10 actual singing fans for every one w**ker, plus he won't last long if all of you are standing up and singing while he sits down sulking.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by sullo-bohs sullo-bohs wrote:

Whilst I dont sit in the ss I think it will grow much bigger by the time our next qualifying campaign starts. Most people prob only know about ss cause they are on this forum, spread the word further, make tickets for it more accessible such as what was done for the macedonia match, encourage ss of clubs to come along.

Neither do we Big%20smile

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 7:48am
Yeah its important to advertise that only people who want to stand and sing are wanted

-------------

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 8:36am
Some great ideas here...just to say on the debate between moving to the North stand or moving to the centre of the South, I would be much more in favour of staying in the South. I went down to the North stand the last night and it feels totally isolated. It doesn't have that cauldron feeling you need to generate atmosphere. Also you are way too low down to get a good view of the game and considering most of us intend to be there for years it is important we can see the game. We will probably be forced to take seats from the back up as we insist on standing so you can't sell seats to people who may want to sit behind us. All going well there will be a huge build up to the two home games in Autumn so this could be our time to really push home the SS message to those that don't know about it.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 11:30am
A long banner over our heads that read "YBIG: Bringing BAck the Roar" or something to that effect would be ideal.

Flyers would be easy, someone would sponsor them I'm sure. And they would be effective. What about a 3page piece in the next YBIG mag about the SS? Info on how to get in etc? And also a page with songs/words?

We should definitely be able to get a proper piece done for matchday programme too. Can't see the FAI saying no to this.

Is there any way we can get MNS to do a piece on the SS? Also we need a mention on RTE a lot more often. It's not like the commentators don't know where all the atmosphere is coming from.

Also, I think we need to move forward. It is absolutely pointless standing at the back because A). the group looks tiny and B). you can't hear us, the sound is just bouncing back and not travelling. If we started at the front rows then we would be much, much louder!

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 1:10pm

A long banner over our heads that read "YBIG: Bringing BAck the Roar" or something to that effect would be ideal.

Flyers would be easy, someone would sponsor them I'm sure. And they would be effective. What about a 3page piece in the next YBIG mag about the SS? Info on how to get in etc? And also a page with songs/words?

We should definitely be able to get a proper piece done for matchday programme too. Can't see the FAI saying no to this.

Is there any way we can get MNS to do a piece on the SS? Also we need a mention on RTE a lot more often. It's not like the commentators don't know where all the atmosphere is coming from.

Also, I think we need to move forward. It is absolutely pointless standing at the back because A). the group looks tiny and B). you can't hear us, the sound is just bouncing back and not travelling. If we started at the front rows then we would be much, much louder!

JD actually said this to Tony O'Donoghue the other night. It was along the lines of, Tony you should really give these guys a mention or do a peice on them, they're doing great work in the SS

Posted By: alane
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 1:23pm
Great idea about the flyers alright.....Defo think we need to promote the SS more.....North Stand would be the best spot for the SS plenty of space for flags and banners also the rest of the AVIVA would be able to hear and see us better...Hopefully the rest of the stadium once they see what the SS is all about the ROAR may return...

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 1:26pm
Lads forget about the north end. It's the away end, too convenient to segregate large crowds.

Would a newwpaper sponsor a load of flyers? And we could put them ojn seats before the game? Like we did in Croker!!

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:04pm
The Star would help surely, Ireland's No1 supporters

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:05pm

20-30,000 flyers, simple wans, wouldn't cost an awful lot would it? Plus it's a good advertising opportunity Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:13pm

20-30,000 flyers, simple wans, wouldn't cost an awful lot would it? Plus it's a good advertising opportunity Clap

Might not even need that much. I'd say to start, better off just covering the whole of the south lower with flyers. I don't know what the other people in the south who are right next to us that don't stand up think when they see us standing, LOI hooligans probably so don't join in. If they knew they were actually invited and encouraged to join in then it might help spreading the SS. Also, if we done it for N.Ireland game, it is not going to be a sell out, so could have a message like if you can't/don't want to stand for the game, then you are encouraged to move to the front for this game. For future games we advise you consider another section

Posted By: IRE-ENNIS90
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:17pm
I dont really have a say in the situation but my view is the SS should be in the middle of the south stand as their there is a chance the fans on the left and right could join in and we are visible on the tv . Also it needs to be more orginised , drums , flags etc.. Should also look in to gettin one of them microphones that the stewerds have , that way the songs would be constant and everyone will join in . Just my opinion

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:26pm
Would be class if people just moved over towards us when there are so many empty seats. We should move to the front for the Nordie game, make us louder. And would force more to stand up

-------------

Posted By: IRE-ENNIS90
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:27pm
Anyone know any good chants or songs that would get the SS and the rest of the fans in full voice , especially for the nordie game

if we could do the hand movements it would look class www.youtube.com - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeI4lAvv7Yk

-------------
Were on the one road !

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:36pm

Would be class if people just moved over towards us when there are so many empty seats. We should move to the front for the Nordie game, make us louder. And would force more to stand up

true, some of the best atmosphere matches in recent time i remember being with the family when we did not (well me Dad did not) want to stand up, but because everyone in front of you was, ya had to too. France and Swiss matches i remember specifically at the old landsdowne under Kerrs reign. Then Czech under Stan

Posted By: TheMightyQuinn
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:52pm
I will start off by saying I can never get down for games so it doesnt matter what I think...

but in terms of a name, I would like to see something that ties aviva back to the old lansdowne road- I still havent been able to think of a good name though.
"1827's" (thats a terrible idea...but im sure someone on here could come up with something better)

Can someone explain to me why you cant bring flags in? but why N. Ireland will be able to bring their union jacks into the north end?

Is there anyway to get allowance from the FAI to permit a set number of large flags on poles that are checked/brought into the stadium ahead of time? The rules and regulations seem to create a bit of a sterille environment.

With the way social media has taken off, you would think a company like 3 would be all about promoting their products being used to bring people together for this sort of thing. Could picture the marketing behind it already. "The passion that unites us" or some cheese horse$*t like that.

-------------
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:01pm
Here's a plan!!

Assuming it's not gonna be a sellout, would we be able to keep one block closed for just hanging our flags on the seats?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by TheMightyQuinn TheMightyQuinn wrote:

I

With the way social media has taken off, you would think a company like 3 would be all about promoting their products being used to bring people together for this sort of thing.

A company like 3 would definately be interested in something like this.

What about a radio station. Get them to send an outside broadcast unit to the YBIG Meet up or somewhere around the stadium.

MQ you are right about social media too. We should all be recommending our friends to follow YBIG on twitter/facebook etc etc. Maybe spice up the auld facebook page and put up more pictures, the chants, general stuff showing people what we're all about.

-------------

Posted By: TAFKAS
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:08pm

Can someone explain to me why you cant bring flags in? but why N. Ireland will be able to bring their union jacks into the north end?

I think they mean that they will be able to hang Union Jacks an whatever for the duration of the game. Where as the SS will not be able to hang any flags because of the sponsor agreement.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:11pm

I

With the way social media has taken off, you would think a company like 3 would be all about promoting their products being used to bring people together for this sort of thing.

What about a radio station. Get them to send an outside broadcast unit to the YBIG Meet up or somewhere around the stadium.

MQ you are right about social media too. We should all be recommending our friends to follow YBIG on twitter/facebook etc etc. Maybe spice up the auld facebook page and put up more pictures, the chants, general stuff showing people what we're all about.

Would be great if a radio station was interested in putting their broadcast van outside alright promoting us. Is yer man davekoolhill a dj on radio? Maybe he could have a word somewhere. Would be ideal if 2fm or 98fm or whoever was interested.

Also Facebook advertising would get the message across. Have to be careful though to get the right people. Dont want any sit down merchants amongst us. Rather 600 hardcore than 1500 mixed.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:21pm

I

Would be great if a radio station was interested in putting their broadcast van outside alright promoting us. Is yer man davekoolhill a dj on radio? Maybe he could have a word somewhere. Would be ideal if 2fm or 98fm or whoever was interested.

Also Facebook advertising would get the message across. Have to be careful though to get the right people. Dont want any sit down merchants amongst us. Rather 600 hardcore than 1500 mixed.

Think as long as we are clear of our purpose people will get the message. If they don't and they do end up in the SS they won't come back a second time. 

-------------

Posted By: flick
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:22pm
With regards the social media, I try promote to YouTube account I set up on here and twitter etc. perhaps we Could make an inspiring viral and have a memorable slogan (example: Ybig taking it to the next level) passionate fans will respond to pationate videos.

The Ybig Facebook account is not nearly used enough. Really needs a complete different approach

-------------
GWAN YBIG

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:23pm

I

Facebook ads cost monies eh?

Should we set up a seperate Facebook page? Singing section one?

Cookie Monster is your man for radio

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:23pm
Sponsors would be good as we don't just sell out as in call it "The 3 mobile singing section" or some sh*te like that.

This might sound overly simple but why not just call it the YBIG section? The letters represent a song we want everyone to sing anyway. It doesn't have to refer to the site or anything but it's a name people will associate with the song Come on You Boys in Green. Plus, when the YBIG mags are handed out with information on how to join there will be an even stronger connection in people's minds, which is good from a marketing perspective.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:26pm
YBIG: Bringing Back the Roar

Courtesy of Trap'sYoungFella

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:30pm

We should defo use that for a banner. But that name would be slightly long winded for the section wouldn't it, "Hello can i have a ticket for the 'YBIG: Bringback the Roar' section please?" Long name!

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

We should defo use that for a banner. But that name would be slightly long winded for the section wouldn't it, "Hello can i have a ticket for the 'YBIG: Bringback the Roar' section please?" Long name!

Haha no, I meant for a huge banner over our heads

YBIG Section sounds good to me and directly associated with the mag Clap

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net