Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=26560
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: David Forde
Posted By: tribalarmy
Subject: David Forde
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 3:22pm
The Millwall keeper has been linked with moves to Wigan and Sunderland.

Replies:
Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:38pm
Thought he was Northern Irish no?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: ericdogg
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:48pm
Played for Derry City...but from the south afaik. Good keeper...having a great season! Thumbs%20Up

-------------
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1

Posted By: soccerc
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

No, born in Galway and played for Galway United.

Posted By: decky_eire
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 5:45am
yup he is Irish, hopefully he gets the move!

-------------
I am no miracle worker....... I am just Giovanni

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 4:13pm
31 years of age so not exactly young but could yet prove to be an option

Posted By: criostoir Óg
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 4:16pm

I think you're thinking of this guy Wink

-------------
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 4:06am
Trevor Keane spoke to Forde about his call up.
Good lad Forde Clap

David Forde delighted with call-up
http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/author/author5/ - Trevor Keane , 15 March 2011
david%20forde%20B
spacer

Sportsnewsireland.com caught up with Millwall goalkeeper David Forde to discuss his first call up to the Irish senior international squad.

Fresh from a gathering with the Irish pensioners party ahead of the St Patricks day celebrations, the Galway man is clearly delighted about his call up and hopefully a first cap in the friendly against Uruguay, Its been a long time coming, its hard to put in to words, its something that Ive always wanted to do so hopefully I will be given an opportunity to impress.  I am looking forward to working with Alan Kelly (Irish goal keeping coach) and hopefully making my debut

At 31, the call has indeed been a long time coming but David does not feel that age is a factor in this instance, 31 is young for a goal keeper, you look at the premiership and there are a lot older keepers playing at the highest level. I just kept persevering and believing in my abilities and hoped that I would get noticed

Get noticed he has, but its been an unconventional journey for Irelands newest squad member with the Galway born custodian beginning his career with home town club Galway before moving to Barry Town, then making the step up to the Premiership with West Ham United.

The move to the big time didnt quite work out as David failed to make an appearance at West Ham and eventually found himself back where he began at Galway before making the move to Millwall via Cardiff Its certainly been an unorthodox route but it helped that I have belief in myself and kept going.  Football can be funny like that, sometimes it doesnt happen for you at a club, and you need an element of luck too.

I got a bit of that initially at Millwall when I got into the side due to injury but its up to you take the chances when you get them. Millwall is a great club and Ive had a fantastic two and a half years here. Ive been to Wembley twice with Millwall and we are currently 10th in the table just outside the play-off places.

With 8 games to go Millwall are certainly in the frame lying just 7 points off the play offs and the basis for their success has been the form of David, who has kept 17 clean sheets to give Millwall the fourth best defence in the division but to David its all about the team This club is ambitious and we are very committed.  At the start of the season the aim of the players and the management was to push and hopefully get another promotion.

One of the main worries ahead of the crucial games with Macedonia and the friendly with Uruguay is the fact that the 3 keepers selected have only 5 caps between them however David does not see this as an issue This is something that the management team will have looked at and whoever they go with has plenty of club experience that they will draw upon for the occasion. At the moment it looks like Keiren will get the nod for the qualifying game but whoever starts is going to be able to handle it.

Goalkeepers are often described as a different breed of footballer but if David has anything that might make him stand out in the Irish changing them room then he is giving nothing away Well soon find out is his answer before admitting that were all a bit different. One thing is for certain however, David Forde is not just around to make up the numbers.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:42am
What a remarkable journey! Top marks for perseverance.

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 11:40am
good keeper, surprised he never got a call before. always done well when i've seen him for millwall

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 11:42am
Always thought he was a great keeper for Derry, he left in his mid 20s and thought after the Cardiff disaster he wouldnt make it, delighted for him!

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

Always thought he was a great keeper for Derry, he left in his mid 20s and thought after the Cardiff disaster he wouldnt make it, delighted for him!

an opportunity to disagree!! Nver rated him when he played over here, thought he was a bit of a dracula-didbn't like crosses- but he has proved me wrong and looks good anytime I see him play.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 1:07am
The Irish Times - Saturday, February 2, 2013

Forde making the most of changed Irish landscape and increase in opportunities

The Millwall stopper feels he’s in the best shape of his footballing life, writes EMMET MALONE

They never came close to displacing Shay Given as the Republic of Ireland’s first-choice goalkeeper but as he named his squad for the friendly game against Poland last week Giovanni Trapattoni strongly suggested that Keiren Westwood and David Forde are doing enough these days to keep the Donegalman in retirement.

Westwood has been the most obvious beneficiary of Given’s departure and must have wondered how the Italian would react when the long-time number one said over the Christmas that he was available to return again.

Forde insists that life at club level teaches a goalkeeper to accept the events that he can have no hand in but there’s no denying that things have changed for the Galwayman with Trapattoni’s decision to consign Given to history at 36.

The Millwall player is now firmly in the frame to play in each and every Ireland game with just one man standing between him and a starting spot. There is a downside too, though. At 33, recent events might be taken as a reminder that time is running out if he wants to complete the final stage of what has, to date, been a scenic journey towards the top of his profession.

“I’ve been a late developer in my career,” he readily acknowledges. “Hopefully it’s still not too late for me to get to the Premier League. I’m still hoping to achieve that. Staying involved with the Irish set-up, getting some more caps and getting to the Premier League, they’re the ambitions for the next few years.”

Pipe dreams 

For much of his career such lofty targets must have resembled pipe dreams with the former Galway United and Derry City player suffering several setbacks as he tried to make even a fairly modest breakthrough in Britain.

More than once he seemed set to crack it but spells in the Barry Town, Barnet and Cardiff City first teams ended in disappointment and on a couple of occasion he came home to pick himself up and turns things around.

When he moved to the New Den in June 2008, those watching from a distance might have been forgiven for anticipating more frustration. Forde, though, says he always believed and fortunately this time so did Kenny Jackett, the club’s Welsh manager who reckoned the Irishman’s time had come.

“I’ll always be grateful to the manager for believing in me,” says Forde, who also credits the goalkeeping coach, Tony Burns, with playing a major part in his late emergence. With the pair’s support, he played 100 first-team games in barely two years and he’s approaching twice that number at this stage.

Injury ended a long run of consecutive appearances after which loss of form meant that he had to watch as veteran Northern Ireland international Maik Taylor got a run in the side. Having earned his third cap against Oman in September (more than a year after that memorable second against Italy in Liège), however, he got back in and within a week Millwall had put a poor start to the season behind them to embark on a 13-match unbeaten stretch that placed them firmly in contention for a play-off spot.

Fortunes 

He refuses to be drawn on the contrast with the fortunes of Westwood at Sunderland, where the current Irish number one is a long-term fixture on the bench, but remarks: “I think I’ve been doing very well. I’m happy with what I’m doing. I just hope that it’s been noted.”

There’s certainly no sense of injustice on his part. “I’ve been long enough waiting for it,” he says. “And there were times alright when I thought the day would never come but for the moment it’s just great that I’m involved. To be in there, challenging Keiren along with Darren [Randolph] . . . it’s a dream come true really.

“I suppose it [his eventual rise] is down to a bit of everything, including luck. But I’m probably in the best shape I’ve ever been now fitness-wise and I am a far better goalkeeper now than I was 10 years ago. Back then it was all about the potential that I would have had where as now I think I’ve fulfilled a lot of that potential.”   He talks about learning to settle for “controlling the controllables” over the course of his career. Given, he acknowledges, was understandably unhappy with the way the European Championships went but, “maybe, looking at it afterwards, he may have thought he’d made a rash decision”.

Forde, however, can only do his best to make the most of the changed landscape and the increased opportunities it might bring. And on other fronts, events outside of his control may have conspired against him playing in the Premier League next season, something that might be expected to influence the pecking order at international level.

Departed 

Much of their momentum was lost, he believes, when strikers Chris Wood and Darius Henderson departed for Leicester City and Nottingham Forest respectively, with the pair having scored 25 goals between them at that stage.

“Them going took a lot of goals out of the team alright,” he says. “But we played very well on Friday night against Villa (in the FA Cup; a game they won 2-1), that was a fantastic result for us. We know the potential is there.

“We’re a very young side but if we can stick together another unbeaten run like the one we managed early in the season there’s no reason why we shouldn’t challenge for those play-off places.”

He could almost be summing up Ireland’s ambitions in this World Cup qualifying group, a road on which, he insists, there is still a long way to go. “The main thing,” he says ahead of Wednesday’s friendly with Poland, “is for us to get back to the sort of form we showed pre-Euros, to start showing again what we can do.”

He might get another opportunity against the Poles to show what he personally can do too. If the last few years are anything to go by, then the chances are he’ll take it.

Long-term goalies second-string number ones

With Paddy Kenny and Joe Murphy out of favour with the current manager and most likely too old for the next one, most medium- to -long-term goalkeeping options have plenty of promise but struggle to get enough first-team action.

Darren Randolph

The Irish number three did the rounds in the English lower leagues during loan spells from Charlton Athletic, where he never quite managed to establish himself. The 25-year-old moved to Motherwell in July 2010.

Stephen Henderson

Perhaps the most highly-regarded of the next generation, the Dubliner (24) caught the eye at Portsmouth during the first half of last season, at which stage West Ham signed him.

Has yet to play a league game for them but recently had a 16-game run on loan to Ipswich Town and rejoined them during the transfer window after a permanent move to Blackburn Rovers collapsed.

Colin Doyle

Appeared to make his big breakthrough at Birmingham City in 2007 when he displaced Maik Taylor and helped the team to promotion. Having started the following season in the Premier League poorly, he lost his place and has been back-up to Jack Butland, who will leave for Stoke next season.

Rob Elliot

Made his league debut as a 17-year-old almost a decade ago while on loan from Charlton Athletic at Notts County. Played about 100 games for Charlton before heading to Newcastle United in 2011, where Tim Krul established himself as the first choice. Elliot and Steve Harper have, at least until recently, taken turns to sit on the bench.

Brian Murphy

Did well at Ipswich Town after his move from Bohemians but turned down the offer of a new contract, preferring what was reported to have been a far more lucrative deal at QPR . When the club started spending bigger money he slipped down the pecking order.

Ryan Meara

The big 22-year-old New Yorker expressed a willingness to declare for the Republic of Ireland last year and an attempt was made to call him up to an under-21 squad. The New York Red Bulls refused to let him travel but his form from then until he was injured in the autumn will have done little to dampen the interest.

Aaron McCarey

A possible starter for Noel King’s under-21s against the Netherlands next week, McCarey joined Wolves from Monaghan United a couple of years back and got a run of first-team games for Walsall while on loan there .

Seán McDermott

Having been let go by Arsenal last summer, the Norwegian-born teenager, who is also in the Ireland under-21 squad, returned to top flight side Sandnes Ulf . He was quickly thrown into the first team and played six games before the end of the season.

Mark Bunn

The 28 -year-old has had spells at Northampton Town, Blackburn and Leicester City before arriving at Norwich, where he has played regularly since replacing the injured John Ruddy. Though he qualifies to play for Ireland through his paternal grandmother, and has declared his interest in doing so , things have yet to reach that stage.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: hulkhogan
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 3:45pm
should be number 1 imo

-------------
Whacha gonna do

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 1:28pm
According to the Irish Times he'l be starting against Poland, and probably Sweden.

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 1:32pm
I'm not surprised after what Trap said about Westwood this morning.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: rainpaulo
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:07pm
Don't think the guy is better than Westwood but the is playing...hope Bunn gets sorted soon.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:24pm
Dunno about this at all. The logic is very simple to be fair to Trap, Forde is playing, Westwood isn't, therefore he deserves a chance. Wouldn't argue too much with that, but it is rare to change your goalkeeper without the fella with the jersey doing something wrong, which Westwood hasn't. With respect to Forde, it isn't like we are dropping Westwood for some clone of Buffon or a 26 year old Shay Given. 

And do not agree with the suggestion that he is now No 1 for the Sweden game 6 weeks away either, if he plays well Vs Poland so be it, he will be there, but what if he does something silly and is at fault for a goal ? ? Then we have the choice of a nervous keeper going into a huge game Vs Sweden, or a No 2 who now knows he does not have the full confidence of the management team, even though he has not done a lot wrong in his appearances for us so far. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 2:47pm
What did we make of him last night?

Some decent saves but also some nervy clearances which went straight to Polish players although in mitigation, some of the back passes to him were dreadful too.

I still think Westwood is a better option. We've often seen international 'keepers (not just ours) play just fine even though they don't get regular game time at their clubs.

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 2:52pm
Forde is average. Westwood is a better goalkeeper. I would like to see Bunn and Meara to get their passports sorted and see what they are made of. Read in the IT that Trapattoni is going with Forde for the Sweden game.

''Trapattoni confirmed David Forde will keep his place for the World Cup games despite a few worrying moments last night, most notably when he struggled to guide a couple of first half kicks to safety.''

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 2:57pm
Some decent saves but too many came after his poor distribution gave them the ball

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:06pm
I'd still have Westwood ahead of him. Especially against Sweden away, I imagine after we break up various attacks we might need to back pass to the keeper and one of Westwood's traits is his kicking ability. He might be a bit rusty but I think as a keeper it's not as difficult to step in and play. He'll have been training week in and week out so you wouldn't lose that match fitness edge that say an outfield player would lose by not playing.

If Forde is in goal I would see it as a big weakeness in the team and me heart would be in me mouth any time he had to kick under pressure.

If he is not going to play Westwood and even go for Given.

hopefully Westwood can do everything in his power and gets a loan move to a championship club

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'd still have Westwood ahead of him. Especially against Sweden away, I imagine after we break up various attacks we might need to back pass to the keeper and one of Westwood's traits is his kicking ability. He might be a bit rusty but I think as a keeper it's not as difficult to step in and play. He'll have been training week in and week out so you wouldn't lose that match fitness edge that say an outfield player would lose by not playing.

If Forde is in goal I would see it as a big weakeness in the team and me heart would be in me mouth any time he had to kick under pressure.

If he is not going to play Westwood and even go for Given.

hopefully Westwood can do everything in his power and gets a loan move to a championship club

Sums up my thoughts, don't think Forde is good enough, Westwood still the better option despite lack of game time.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:28pm
Said it in the match thread, but this is unnecessary tinkering and it could cost us. Westwood has lost the jersey over nothing he has done on the pitch playing for us, but his lack of activity at Sunderland. He may not prove to be a top class keeper when he gets away from there, but he is a long way better than Forde. For all the ' Forde is playing football' arguments, he was dropped for the middle chunk of Millwalls season last year in favour of Maik Taylor (and come to think of it, Taylor started this season @ No 1 as well, he didn't last long though).  No disrespect, but being dropped from a championship team is not the mark of a top class keeper. 

I don't see what Westwood has done wrong in the Ireland jersey to get dropped, jaysus we looked at Ward and O'Shea struggling in the Euros when Coleman and Wilson twiddled their thumbs, and Ward was still first choice when this campaign kicked off. Trap seems to apply different standards for different players depending on his preferences at the time.

-------------

Posted By: gwhite
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:51pm
Westwood is definitely a better keeper but sitting on his arse week in, week out is hardly ideal prep for facing Zlatan and co. Forde did ok but he'd want to sort his kicking out because if he plays against the Swedes and starts giving the ball to them, we are royally fcuked.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:55pm
I thought I was reading a journalistic error when I read that Forde is now Number 1. Westwood has done very well for us.

Westwood can't get a mov, until the summer as Marty wants a good number 2 keeper

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by gwhite gwhite wrote:

Westwood is definitely a better keeper but sitting on his arse week in, week out is hardly ideal prep for facing Zlatan and co. Forde did ok but he'd want to sort his kicking out because if he plays against the Swedes and starts giving the ball to them, we are royally fcuked.

See, this is one of the things I don't get, as it happens, kicking is one of Westwoods strengths (and he is a lot more accurate at finding a target out of hand or off the ground from kickouts than Forde as well), so why are we taking this risk ?? 

Basically, we are installing a keeper with less kicking skills (and he isn't as quick to start attacks either) on the basis that he may be better able to deal with shots/crosses that Sweden throw at us, even though there is no real evidence to say he is any better than Westwood at this aspect of the game either. 

Blueman knows his stuff about keepers, would like to see his opinion on this, but I think tis nuts. 

-------------

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 4:14pm
Fordeys kicking has never been a problem with his club teams because the defenders ply the ball to his better foot. I know David all g
His life and a more dedicated player you will not meet he is always looking for ways to improve his game and if we stick with him he will Improve in every game. He played over 120 consecutive games with milwall before his injury last season he wasnt dropped .

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 4:32pm
Hope yer right T, but if he does something silly Vs Sweden that costs us (and I realise it is equally possible Westwood or even Given could do the same if they are selected) there isn't a whole lot gained by the fact he will improve for the Austria game, it might be too late. What I keep coming back to is that Westwood hasn't been dropped for anything he has done with us, it isn't like the time Alan Kelly made way for a brilliant young keeper in Given, we are taking him out for a 33 yr old lad who is reasonably solid and not a lot more. With respect, if he was better than Westwood, he would be playing for someone other than Millwall. 

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 5:28pm
Well speaking as a Sunderland fan, i firmly stand by what Trap done last night in regard to playing Forde! Westwood hasn't played a league game for SAFC in over a year (open to correction)! 

Forde may improve on his distribution though, it was pretty poor last night but he should keep his place in the starting 11 imo.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 5:33pm
Rafa Nadal comes on his line more often than Forde Ermm

Forde is a good shot stopper - yes, command his area - hell no. Kicking wasnt great and as was said when the ball was played to his bad foot but he was getting completely in the wrong shape to be striking a ball as well. Few opportinities for him to come out with only Irish defenders near him and he stood on his line - 1 incident in 1st half I remember think it was clark had to head the ball out with no Polish lad near him and they lost the ball immediately creating a chance for Poland, could have been avoided if Forde came for the ball and actually caught it instead of that punching it crap he did once or twice

-------------

Posted By: MariborKev
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Fordeys kicking has never been a problem with his club teams because the defenders ply the ball to his better foot. I know David all g
His life and a more dedicated player you will not meet he is always looking for ways to improve his game and if we stick with him he will Improve in every game. He played over 120 consecutive games with milwall before his injury last season he wasnt dropped .

Fundamentally disagree GUFCT.

Great lad as you say, huge time for him.  However at Derry we had to fundamentally change our game as Fordey is incapable of any control of kicks that are anything other that straight up the middle.

We experimented with trying to get Fordey to hit the space in front of wingers and on balance he either shanked it out of play, or way behind the winger, so we had to resort to him playing it short on the deck to Eddie McCallion or Hargan who would bring it out and launch it forward.

Posted By: Mr.Mojo Risin'
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 2:34am
Would feel a lot more comfortable if Westwood started against Sweden tbh.

-------------
Ahh heya!

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Mr.Mojo Risin' Mr.Mojo Risin' wrote:

Would feel a lot more comfortable if Westwood started against Sweden tbh.

+1.....wasn't convinced by Forde at all.

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 7:43pm
Agree with Green Devil. Forde is playing regular football while Westwood is not. Should Westwood even be on the bench? He has slipped down the picking order a good bit in the last year.   

-------------
alive and kicking

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 8:22pm
Poor goalkeeper as internationals go, very average at Championship level and its a pity Bunn won't be on board by the Sweden game

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 10:46pm
Proved a lot of doubters wrong tonight. Hopefully he builds on his great performance tonight.

Posted By: The Lucky Lepre
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:20pm
I thought he had a brilliant game tonight and i hope he can build on his clean sheets Clap

Posted By: Drummerboy
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:22pm
Have to say, he really surprised me. Well done David, keep it up.

Posted By: Johnner
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:23pm
He had a great game . Well done

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:32pm
Delighted to be proved wrong, I thought he was excellent tonight. One thing that did strike me was that Sweden chased down every single backpass that went back to him. Hope others don't identify it as much

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: delidamo
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:39pm
Delighted for Forde, must have thought he'd never be Ireland's number 1 with Westwood & Given ahead of him in the past.

Made some fine saves and some really good claims from crosses/corners that makes such a difference to his defence both in terms of relieving pressure and instilling the confidence of his back four in his as a keeper (if that makes sense).

Negatives - still seems somewhat suspect from backpasses & came for one cross he was never going to get and on another night we might have conceded from that error in judgement.

Overall though, really impressed and justified his selection!!

Posted By: musicinmouth
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:46pm
Loved his reaction at full time too. Obviously means the world to him.

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:02am
Delighted for him and all the players tonight.He was a stand out but though they all played well .Best Irish performance i've seen in a while ( maybe since Paris) I was so cynical beforehand,great to see them play the ball on the ground and try to keep a bit of possession.

Forde is a bit dodge on back passes,its not a secret but i think he only had one bad one tonight.Great for a man making his competitive debut at 33,you could see it meant a lot to him.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:17am
well done forde, Clap
                       I've seen it so many times on here with criticism for the likes of Long when he was breaking through. People are very quick to sl*g off new selections. 

-------------

Posted By: Long Shot
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:19am
Fair play to David Forde, am delighted for him he had a solid game
Westwood now knows he is replaceible and will drive for a summer move away from Sunderland.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:25am
nice to see a goalie actually catch a ball under pressure from corners. he saved us in the last minute and didnt drop his concentration

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: JamesyIrishGuy
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:28am
Great piece by Paul Rowan of The Sunday Times from the 17th of March last - 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:31am
fair play for posting that jamesy

for all the bad press millwall get, they've always been good for irish players and id say they ve great time for keogh and forde

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:55am
Fordey was terrible last year and lost his place to maik taylor who must be what 80 now

This season he has knuckled down and played really well. He has improved massively and has been key to millwalls cup run.

Spoke to him at a pre season friendly a few years back and he said it would be a a dream come true to be in the irish set up never mind be first choice. Lets remember the fella is pretty much a journeyman.

Delighted he kept a clean sheet last night and you could see what it meant at the end. Trap got it right selecting him. A year without meaningful football is too long for westwood to just waltz into our starting 11. Look what happened last time when we started a keeper who was injured and not match fit/sharp

Every millwall player who gives 110pct is well received at the den. Sadlier and robbie ryan are still well thought of and can be seen at some games today

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 11:01am
definitely the right choice last night. westwood chose to go to the SOL, and has sat on the bench pretty much siNce. That is absolutely no use to a goalie week in week out, and no good to us. At lease Forde is playing, keeping his game up. Best of luck to him 

westwood, get off your backside, get a loan or something out of SOL to get your career back on track

-------------

Posted By: SteviesGranny
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 11:18am
Great reaction from Forde after the game and good to see.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:10pm
Fair play Big man , was worried about him all week but he had a great game last night

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Delighted to be proved wrong, I thought he was excellent tonight. One thing that did strike me was that Sweden chased down every single backpass that went back to him. Hope others don't identify it as much
Was hardly surprising given the way he miskicked a few in the Poland game. You were not alone in worrying about this aspect of his game, even if as a shop stopper, he appeared to be just fine.
He made a couple of errors last night in not claiming a few balls in and around the 6 yard area, but what I did like was his command of the area against corners. 

Remarkable journey for the player. Hope he keeps it up!

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 2:12pm
Interesting is he the oldest player to make his professional debut for Ireland???

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: big mick
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 12:16am
really impressed by forde last night, was very worried that he wouldnt be up to the mark.

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 4:36pm
Our new No.1 .
Very solid....

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 4:44pm
Much better than Given for collecting crosses. Dodgy kicks from back passes but other then that he's very solid.

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 6:45pm
Has taken his chance quiet well, where as I feel sorry for westwood davey will be hard to dislodge now

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 6:48pm
I'm delighted we have Forde in goal, his kick-outs are poor enough (direction wise) but other than that i'm very impressed with him!

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 7:21pm
Always nice to see lads make it after doing it the hard way. Add Andrews to the list too. Although it will be tough for him to get into the team now.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Interesting is he the oldest player to make his professional debut for Ireland???

oldest in a competitive game

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 2:11pm
Good luck to Davey and indeed the rest of the irish lads stepping out at Wembley today. Could be up to 5 of our own out on the pitch at any time today (Davey, Sledge, Keogh, Dunne & McCarthy)

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 2:23pm
Good luck to Fordy all in GUFC backing the lions,

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Posted By: big nail
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 2:30pm
good chance for mccarthy to put himself in the shop window for a big summer move.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by big nail big nail wrote:

good chance for mccarthy to put himself in the shop window for a big summer move.

Yes. But this is the David Forde thread.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 2:50pm
What a waste of space

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 3:04pm
Hopefully Millwall do the business today. Would rather see four Irishmen in a final than one.

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:38pm

DAVID FORDE says he has no interest in a summer siesta after getting his lucky break with Ireland.

The Millwall keeper’s club season finishes this Saturday with a result he hopes will keep the Lions in the Championship.

After a season during which Millwall reached the FA Cup semi-final and the 33-year-old emerged as Ireland’s undisputed No 1, Forde can be forgiven for wanting to let his hair down next week.

But there will be no blowout for the Galwegian.

Instead, Forde will take a short break, but all with a focus on staying in shape for Ireland’s summer programme.

Giovanni Trapattoni’s side will face England, Georgia and Spain in friendlies as well as playing a World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands.

And when the international games end on June 11, he will have just two weeks left of holiday time before pre-season at Millwall starts again.

But Forde has no problems with effectively cancelling his summer holidays in 2013 if it means keeping his place in the Ireland side.

And he ruled out looking to be excused from the friendly with Spain in New York in the middle of June.

Forde said: “I have waited long enough to get into the side, to go picking and choosing games...I would like to play in every game.

“Football is phenomenal how it pans out. One minute I am sweating saying ‘Jesus will I make it to the Euros?’ Then all of a sudden I’m starting and being No 1 the last few games.

“The old guard, some of the legends have gone. It’s different for them as they have their caps under the belt and it was more about bringing players into the squad.

“Whereas now there are younger lads coming into the squad and myself with not a lot of caps, we want to get more and play.”

The summer programme is an unusual one for Ireland as Forde admits that the most important game — the World Cup qualifier against the Faroes — is in danger of being overlooked because of the glamour clashes with England and Spain.

He added: “Everyone as a young kid dreams of playing England, especially at Wembley because it’s a special place.

“That will be a massive game but the more important is the World Cup qualifier — that is the main game and it’s all geared up to getting fit and ready and being prepared for that one.

“You could look at it like that and it is a potential banana skin. We know what is at stake and the consequences.

“We all want to get to a World Cup and are champing at the bit at home to get a good result. That would give us 11 points and put us in a good position going into the remaining games.”

The two draws in March with Sweden and Austria put a dampener on Ireland’s hopes — Ireland are outsiders to finish second in the group and even doing that might not be enough to secure a play-off place.

With just eight play-off places available to the nine runners-ups of European groups, the worst group runner-up is eliminated and, as things stand, Ireland would struggle to be among the eight.

David Forde, centre, Republic of Ireland, celebrates at the end of the game. 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifier, Group C, Sweden v Republic of Ireland, Friends Arena, Solna, Stockholm, Sweden.
So Swede ... David Forde enjoys Ireland's draw against Sweden

But Forde is bullish about Ireland’s chances insisting he is not planning any holidays in 2014 either as he targets Brazil and the World Cup.

He added: “I’m actually very confident. I think we will qualify. I just think on past performances and you look at the players who have come into the side, they improve your confidence.

“Séamus Coleman has been a revelation and James McCarthy. We look focused and hungry.

“I think we will qualify. If someone said you would still be in with a shout with a lot of games to go we’d take that. We are level on points with the two others.

“We could have gone into those games and we could have been talking about the European Championships in two years’ time.

“You don’t underestimate draws, especially in today’s game. Being unbeaten breeds confidence. Going forward it will galvanise us and make us stronger.”

Before the international games, Forde has to keep Millwall in the Championship on Saturday when they visit Derby County.

A few weeks ago, they were still targeting promotion but a hectic schedule following the FA Cup semi-final with Wigan cost them.

That Wembley appearance also earned the Lions some bad headlines because of crowd trouble, though Forde reckons that the yobs were not real Millwall fans.

He revealed: “I was oblivious until afterwards when talking to the media. What about the violence? They said it kicked off between a group of fans. I was oblivious to it.

“We get an average of 10-14,000 at games and all of a sudden it’s 30,000. Who is to say it was Millwall, they could have been groups of fans who bought tickets and might not have been real Millwall.”

The real fans will be looking nervously towards League One this Saturday with plenty of permutations about how Millwalll could go down, but the simplest way to stay up is to draw or win in Derby.

Forde added: “Only three or four weeks ago we had games in hand and had we won those we would only be a few points off the playoffs.

“We’ve had 11 games in 30 days since the semi-final so it seems to have taken its toll. There are a few permutations there. We need a minimum of a draw on Saturday.”

The arrival of Seán St Ledger on loan from Leicester City has helped and Forde has been hugely impressed with the Ireland defender in his new central midfield role.

He said: “He has been immense. The manager has played him in a different role for him, sitting in front of the back four in a holding midfield role.

“He has excelled at it and done fantastic. He has been solid and given us a base and a foundation.

“He is that type of player,comfortable on the ball and he can pass it and has heading ability and reading of the game in that role.

Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 1:24pm
In the event Millwall drop today, where to for Davy ?? Don't think it is likely he would continue to be our No 1 while playing in the third tier, not long term anyway, whatever about to the end of this campaign.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

In the event Millwall drop today, where to for Davy ?? Don't think it is likely he would continue to be our No 1 while playing in the third tier, not long term anyway, whatever about to the end of this campaign.

Any idea how long he has left on his contract? If it was up this summer, he would get a move to Championship/SPL club no bother imo.

-------------

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:14pm
Stayed up, few late goals in other games went their way.  Conor Sammon scored against him, make of that what you will.....;)

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:39pm
Has completely justified his place as Irelands No.1

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: GreenTribe
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:45pm
Good man david. Stopping us from getting our facking back doors smashed in innit

-------------
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Posted By: Eddie Rincon
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:50pm
a keeper that comes and claims crosses like that is great to see. Well done Fordey! 

-------------
porque el Baron Rojo Sur dice...

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:54pm
Cemented

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: reder
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:56pm
Best player on the team by a country mile tonight.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:00pm
Well done Fordie

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:01pm
Solid player has defiantly proved hes worthy against a quality side ClapClapClap.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:03pm
Forde was quality tonight.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: normanconquerer
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:07pm
Proved tonight that he would have been a better option than Given at the Euros. 

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:07pm
Excellent.....his kicking,handing,coming for crosses where all brilliant....shay who??!!

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:08pm
Big stage for him on the box tonight and after putting in a shift like that will anyone be sniffing? Better than Millwall?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:14pm
Solid  Clap

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:16pm
Had my doubts after his debut but has been immense since. Well done dave!

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:16pm
There is more to his game than Given had also far more composed Cool   Shame we didn't have in goal that night in Paris.

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by normanconquerer normanconquerer wrote:

There is more to his game than Given had also far more composed Cool   Shame we didn't have in goal that night in Paris.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:22pm

Whatever DisapproveDisapprove      Given was at much at fault as McShane was that night.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:22pm
The fact he controls the box and comes for crosses is a big plus. Something given was not comfortable doing. Heart is still me mouth when he needs to kick under pressure.. Thankfully didn't need to do it that much tonight

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:28pm
Commands his box well. I think O'Shea has benifited from having Forde behind him.

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:43pm
Had a good game...end of.

Posted By: Midlands
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:49pm
Forde

Big boots to fill and proved how much he's earned his place tonite. Solid performance!

-------------
The Irishmans left foot is so cultured it could paint the Mona Lisa while enjoying a half time orange

Posted By: Kingkeano16
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:53pm
Clap Excellent performance, not just the saves, was assured in everything he did. some brilliant catches from crosses, which is often under-estimated. Took pressure of the defence.

I, for one, am more confident in terms of our goalkeeping headache. Surely a good shop window for him tonight too. A few keepers in the EPL are less convincing than Forde.

-------------
Mr Burns: Tonight Homer I want you to show Marge the time of her life.
Homer: Marge! We're getting a drive thru and doin' it twice!

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:03pm
As I said he is a better overall keeper than Given ever was. 

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:07pm

As I said he is a better overall keeper than Given ever was. 

Yawn... Haven't been on this site in months, but I see it is still inhabited by the same gimps that put me off it..

Given played in the top flight for over a decade. Over 100 caps, played in Europe, one of the all time PL great goalkeepers. 

But I mean the evidence backing your claim is obviously overwhelming. Let's have a look at it... Oh Dear... Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:19pm
You are only annoyed cos Given is from Donegal KingKeano16.   Forde overall game is better than Givens and thats a fact.

Posted By: wessi
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:22pm
forde has been a pleasant surprise , pity he is 33 ? still should get euro 2016 out of him .

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:25pm

You are only annoyed cos Given is from Donegal KingKeano16.   Forde overall game is better than Givens and thats a fact.

Fact? Can you please go and find yourself a dictionary and look up the definition of a fact? It's not a fact, it's an opinion, which would be the complete opposite of a fact! 

And as for your 'opinion' how can you say a 'keeper who has never played in the top flight in the EPL be a better 'keeper than a man who played as a number one 'keeper for three clubs in the PL  for over a decade?

It's just plain stupid to be honest. There are many ways in which to be controversial on this site, and many of these ways won't make you look like an absolute tool when you spout your 'facts'.

-------------

Posted By: Garak
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:31pm
What a confident performance from Forde. It's a pity he's only getting games for us now, but at least he's really making them count, saved our skin tonight.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:34pm
Forde Clap 

Had cemented his position as our No.1 now regardless of whether Westwood moves in the summer and starts regulary next season IMO.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net