Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=26522
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 8:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Australia and all them weird places
Posted By: Trap junior
Subject: Australia and all them weird places
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 12:50pm
How come a load of yis here are going over to thailand and Australia?

Wanna hear a good wan?
2 of my mates had a big going away party in Late November coz they were going to Australia for a year. They came back before Christmas (after 3 weeks) coz they didnt like itLOLEmbarrassedLOL

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Replies:
Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 12:52pm
Recession trap.

Loads of people are sick of whats going on here and heading abroad for a change of life and to find work. Thats my take on it anyway.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 12:53pm
I will never leave this fair isle for more then a 2week period

Posted By: ThrowInDelap
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Wanna hear a good wan?
2 of my mates had a big going away party in Late November coz they were going to Australia for a year. They came back before Christmas (after 3 weeks) coz they didnt like itLOLEmbarrassedLOL

The tell tale sign, imo,  that a story or joke you're about to be told is definitely not going to be funny is when the person begins with this bolded line, or " I've a good/great one for ya".

-------------
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 12:59pm

Wanna hear a good wan?

Didn't like what?? The country? the people, none of it? Heard of this happening before, I think the only sensible solution is to revoke passports. Would not bode too well for those lads travelling in the future if they cant hack it in an English speaking country with great weather (Queensland aside), so they probably would have no need for passports anyway.

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Wanna hear a good wan?

Didn't like what?? The country? the people, none of it? Heard of this happening before, I think the only sensible solution is to revoke passports. Would not bode too well for those lads travelling in the future if they cant hack it in an English speaking country with great weather (Queensland aside), so they probably would have no need for passports anyway.

Didnt like the country. LOLHavent had a chance to talk to them about it yet.

-------------

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

I will never leave this fair isle for more then a 2week period

+1

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:21pm
Maybe something happened one of them over there or something and they wanted out, you never know.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:32pm
Australia is better than Ireland in every possible way.

I'd love to hear what they didnt like about the place.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:42pm

Wanna hear a good wan?

You would really wonder at times......Didn't like the country. All 2.9 square million miles of it. Roughly translated, that probably means they didn't like their hostel/cheap hotel, and both pubs they went to were kips.

And SGB, dont be so quick rushing in to defend them, I think yer getting yer excuses ready earlyLOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It probably is if you look at all the physical tangible benefits, its definitely a country I would love to go to a few a few months, maybe even a year, but this island of ours in the North Atlantic is home and despite the weather, the corrupt politicians, the recession, our lack of confidence in ourselves as a Nation, I would rather live no where else. They probably were just homesick. I went to Chicago for 3 months, had an absolute blast, but I was delighted to come home

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:45pm
Ah Walls, show me somebody homesick after 3 weeks and I'll show you somebody who hasn't been away from their Mammy for more than a long weekendLOL

-------------

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:50pm
trap junior, your mate isn't Neil McD by any chance?! sure he only left a few weeks back!

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: AidoM
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

trap junior, your mate isn't Neil McD by any chance?! sure he only left a few weeks back!

Jaysus, Baldrick's not back is he Shocked Cry

-------------
But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

haha. No. Theyre a couple. Went to brisbane and came straight homeLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

It probably is if you look at all the physical tangible benefits, its definitely a country I would love to go to a few a few months, maybe even a year, but this island of ours in the North Atlantic is home and despite the weather, the corrupt politicians, the recession, our lack of confidence in ourselves as a Nation, I would rather live no where else. They probably were just homesick. I went to Chicago for 3 months, had an absolute blast, but I was delighted to come home

I went for the year and I was delighted when I came back.
Does'nt mean that you abandon ship with 48 weeks to go LOL

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:24pm

Wanna hear a good wan?

You would really wonder at times......Didn't like the country. All 2.9 square million miles of it. Roughly translated, that probably means they didn't like their hostel/cheap hotel, and both pubs they went to were kips.

And SGB, dont be so quick rushing in to defend them, I think yer getting yer excuses ready earlyLOLLOL

Damn your onto me

But seriously tho I may hate it and come back I suppose its just down to the person. Unless I meet a big hunk that is

Posted By: Sheikh Yerbouti
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 3:27pm
In my experience, when you do the Oz thing, it takes about 3 months to settle into things. It is worth sticking it out if you find things tough at the start.

Far too much hassle to go all that way and come home after just a few weeks.

-------------
I’m technically Catholic, it’s the box you have to tick on the census form: 'Don’t believe in God, but I do still hate Rangers.' - Dara Ó Briain

Posted By: jamo1
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:41pm
These guys probably missed there mammys? Know a few fellas here in my local town who think they are big shots went to Oz and were totally out of there dept and came home after a month. Some just cant hack not being the big shots anymore. Oz is the best place i have ever being ( after Thailand) Wink.

-------------
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 6:07pm
i know some people have to leave because their bored on the dole etc but if everyones poor then f**k it as a country that boomed we still moaned as much as we did when we were poorer off.
i may decide someday to leave travel, work but ill always return someday.

i love this country
born and bred in this country and
i intend to die in this country

Posted By: MrFantastico
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 6:10pm
what are the ladyboys like in thailand cheap or what ?

-------------
We hate princess diana, we hate elton john too, we hate orange bastards but rovers we love you.    KOH

Posted By: Sheikh Yerbouti
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

These guys probably missed there mammys? Know a few fellas here in my local town who think they are big shots went to Oz and were totally out of there dept and came home after a month. Some just cant hack not being the big shots anymore. Oz is the best place i have ever being ( after Thailand) Wink.

Know of a few lads like that myself. The familiar, small town life suited them down to the ground, and a few weeks in the big city where hardly anyone knew them scared the sh*t out of them.

I loved Oz, and might have to go back because of the way things are.

-------------
I’m technically Catholic, it’s the box you have to tick on the census form: 'Don’t believe in God, but I do still hate Rangers.' - Dara Ó Briain

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 7:34pm

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I went for the year and I was delighted when I came back.
Does'nt mean that you abandon ship with 48 weeks to go LOL

Ah Walls, show me somebody homesick after 3 weeks and I'll show you somebody who hasn't been away from their Mammy for more than a long weekendLOL

LOLLOL

Nope fair point lads, I was being a bit on the serious side. I agree even if you are homesick if ya go all that way ya should stick it for a bit longer. I know I would stay just because I didnt want to hear all the abuse from the lads back home!!

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:18pm
Personally I left as i wanted to see the world and experience a bit of adventure instead of the constant routine back home. Then i didnt return as things got worse ten fold with the economy. I find it strange that anyone would wonder why young people are leaving the country at the moment Confused

Feel sorry for your mates Trap. Even if they were homesick, they should have stuck it out and at least travelled around the country to see the place. Find it hard anyone could be homesick while travelling along the east coast. I reckon your mates will regret this big time...

-------------

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:58pm
In fairness the 1st week of my travels was one of the worst weeks of my life! Home sickeness kicked in and was very overwhelmed with everything. But I knew it would settle down and now I just don't wanna go home! 8 weeks on the road and counting:)

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:12am
One of the things that I noticed about some Irish people in OZ - is there inability to do anything.
Make breakfast, dinner etc
Wash or iron clothes
Clean up after themselves - basic things like a plate or cup.
All because their mammy use to do everything for this.
It's a typical Irish thing I reckon.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: jamo1
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:11am

One of the things that I noticed about some Irish people in OZ - is there inability to do anything.
Wash or iron clothes
Buddy of mine (27 at the time) in a hostel didnt know how to make his bed EmbarrassedEmbarrassed we had to make it for him. Chap was very very embarressed!! Still sl*gging him to this day LOL. Im away to Canada on the 17th for a year, cant wait to get out of here TBH and get traveling again!!

-------------
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:17am
All but booked to go to Oz, will prob link up with HM, make sure he's ok and all! Little pet struggles away from home im told!!

Im leaving because Im in a job I hate with no career prospects, cant see myself ever owning a house, the weather is sh*t, the depression of everyone else depresses me and I want to see the world. Ive lived in the States for a year and have the experience of living away so Im dying to go.

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:24am
If I was in me early 20s I'd give it a go, big time.  Brother was affected by the mid-80s recession and is in Oz since 1989, he misses his mates and family here but Australia has pretty much saved his life and him and his Dublin wife have loved it out there, hard work rewarded, climate, weather you can pretty much depend on, big sporting nation, what's not to like about it?  Too late for me now but I'd encourage anyone to go.

This country's fooked, financially, morally and so many other ways and though I bleed green and adore our culture, language, folk/ballad music and dancing and all that, there's an awful lot to not like about 2011 Ireland.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Wash or iron clothes
Buddy of mine (27 at the time) in a hostel didnt know how to make his bed EmbarrassedEmbarrassed we had to make it for him. Chap was very very embarressed!! Still sl*gging him to this day LOL. Im away to Canada on the 17th for a year, cant wait to get out of here TBH and get traveling again!!

Thats bad alright. I previously lived away from home when going to college in Ireland and then moved to the UK 6 years ago to finish my degree. When I graduated I decided to hang around and experience the world before going home to settle down as I thought I might not get the chance again. Unfortunately the ar*e fell out of the economy before I managed to get home and am now stuck abroad. At least with Ryanair I'm able to get home 4 or 5 times a year, however I'm sending my CV this evening to OZ where I'm in with a shout for a job. To all those who feel home sickness when they leave they should remember the world is a much smaller place than it was in the 1980's and people have a lot of spare cash when working abroad therefore I know/hope I'll get home to the motherland some day. What state will I find it in....who cares?...we never did before.

It's a shame TJ that your friends decided to return home. It's something they'll regret.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 6:41am
Thats a ridiculous story! cant believe they did that, everyone i know out there loves it! You need a few months to settle anywhere as well

Can't see myself doing anything but moving to Australia or back here once i'm done in ucd, no jobs goign for me in Ireland, almost everything is better here as well, I'll be back in a decade when we're in better shape!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 7:00am

Spot on Deise met a good few of these at one time or another the beans don't taste the same as the one's you get at home etc etc .

I had 3 trips of 15 months, 5 half years ,and two and a half years and at the end of each of them I was upset to be going home . Hey if you ever lived in Burnley you could undersatnd why Wink

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 7:08am

'For what suffer our patriots today....'

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Spot on Deise met a good few of these at one time or another the beans don't taste the same as the one's you get at home etc etc .

I had 3 trips of 15 months, 5 half years ,and two and a half years and at the end of each of them I was upset to be going home . Hey if you ever lived in Burnley you could undersatnd why Wink

Which prison(s) were you in.....and what were the crimes?

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: Cookie Monster
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

If I was in me early 20s I'd give it a go, big time.  Brother was affected by the mid-80s recession and is in Oz since 1989, he misses his mates and family here but Australia has pretty much saved his life and him and his Dublin wife have loved it out there, hard work rewarded, climate, weather you can pretty much depend on, big sporting nation, what's not to like about it?  Too late for me now but I'd encourage anyone to go.

This country's fooked, financially, morally and so many other ways and though I bleed green and adore our culture, language, folk/ballad music and dancing and all that, there's an awful lot to not like about 2011 Ireland.

Totally agree with you FW. I'm as patriotic as anyone and passionate about the rich language and culture that so many of our own people rate as backward, useless, dead etc etc and are all too ready to throw it all away via their misguided and ill informed perceptions of "sophistication".

But Australia is a fantastic country and they seem to run it properly over there. It was the best year of my life and I was broken hearted to have to come home as I would have happily stayed for a few years at least.

You need to give anything new a chance before you'll take to it and to come home after 3 weeks is pathetic. I remember seeing lads in a pub in Sydney at Christmas crying into their pints thru homesickness when the craic was all around them. Some people just arent grown up enough to handle or appreciate the opportunities presented to them.

However, the future of this fair country of ours has been squandered away in a cesspool of corruption, mismanagement, greed and immorality and the futures of its younger generations lie elsewhere so Thank God they have places like Australia to go to if they're lucky enough to get that chance and sensible enough to take it.

-------------
I used to be a schizophrenic.......and so was I

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:06am
If anything, one of the issues I would have with Oz is that it is too similar to Ireland in ways so lads who are homesick must be very used to their ways.

Australia is a lovely country I must say, but If I was going to live away from Ireland again it would be to a totally new culture and I dont think Australia is different enough from Ireland. 

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

If anything, one of the issues I would have with Oz is that it is too similar to Ireland in ways so lads who are homesick must be very used to their ways.

Australia is a lovely country I must say, but If I was going to live away from Ireland again it would be to a totally new culture and I dont think Australia is different enough from Ireland. 

spot on. i've a load of mates all over the world at the min, canada, the usa, aus, spain, germany etc etc and without being biased the 13 of us here in Shanghai are definetely havign a far better time than the rest of them, a lot of that to do with how different it is!

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:54am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

spot on. i've a load of mates all over the world at the min, canada, the usa, aus, spain, germany etc etc and without being biased the 13 of us here in Shanghai are definetely havign a far better time than the rest of them, a lot of that to do with how different it is!

How did you rate Argentina the last year when you were there Baldie ????

Also I do see your point on Oz , the big thing for me is that you are a long way from well, anywhere really I have meet a good few over the years who got disenchanted with life in Oz after 5 or 6 years not sure why maybe missed home . A bit like London after two years you start to become negative about the place then it drains the soul out of you . I always said if you are going to move to a different country then you have to go the whole Hog and be a True Blue Aussie just like your mate next door .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:00am
Argentina was great and was as cheap as chips. 

Actually that is a draw back about Australia at the moment how expensive it is 7 euro for a pint in many places and sometims more,  because of the exchange rate and that is across the board from Perth to Sydney to Hobart to Melbourne and not in poncy bars either. 

I loved Argentina for a holiday, again I woudl not live in it but Buenos Aires is an incredible city, amazing food,  amazing wine,  women, culture, and a fascinating history. 

Best  steak I ever had in my life was in Argentina. 

In relation to Australia, the most liveable place I have been in so far has been Melbourne, in my view it kicks Sydneys ass but thats a personal view.  The locals say Sydney is for the day time and Melbourne is for the night time and the amount of sport in this city is unreal.  Heading to the Australian Open tomorrow which should be good 29 Dollars for the day which is about 25 euro.  Great deal. 

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:11am

Argentina was great and was as cheap as chips. 

Actually that is a draw back about Australia at the moment how expensive it is 7 euro for a pint in many places and sometims more,  because of the exchange rate and that is across the board from Perth to Sydney to Hobart to Melbourne and not in poncy bars either. 

I loved Argentina for a holiday, again I woudl not live in it but Buenos Aires is an incredible city, amazing food,  amazing wine,  women, culture, and a fascinating history. 

Best  steak I ever had in my life was in Argentina. 

In relation to Australia, the most liveable place I have been in so far has been Melbourne, in my view it kicks Sydneys ass but thats a personal view.  The locals say Sydney is for the day time and Melbourne is for the night time and the amount of sport in this city is unreal.  Heading to the Australian Open tomorrow which should be good 29 Dollars for the day which is about 25 euro.  Great deal. 

€25 for a days entertainment aint bad,
did you have to ajust your €15 an hour mantra for your trip to AuzWink

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:12am
Yeah that is nearly the minimum wage here so could not have having that :) 

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:46pm
Anybody folllowing the Adam Goodes story? The old racism is never far under the surface with a lot of white Australians and the last couple of months have proved it. 

Adam Goodes of the Sydney Swans is one of the best players to ever play Aussie Rules and an outspoken campaigner on issues affecting Indigenous Australians. A great player and a great guy who makes no apology for being proud of his identity.

A couple of years ago he was called "an ape" during a match by a 13 year old female Collingwood fan and immediately pointed her out in the crowd after hearing the comment. Despite saying he did not blame her personally for the comment due to her youth, but rather the overall culture in which she grew up, he was roundly criticised in the Aussie media for his reaction.

A couple of months ago, the AFL had their annual "Indigenous Round", in which the Swans played Carlton. Goodes kicked a goal and then celebrated with a kind of Indigenous war dance gesture. Since that he has been roundly booed at most grounds any time he touches the ball by opposition supporters. This booing is clearly as a direct result of Goodes' celebration. And yet a large amount of white Australians still deny there is any racist element to the booing. You'd actually laugh at the lameness and stupidity of the denials of racism coming from everywhere in white Australia, including the likes of Shane Warne, if they weren't so, well, racist. 

It's actually mental to see such obvious racism so widely defended in a so called civilised country.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:50pm
Really can't get my head around the Adam Goodes situation at all - As a country, it seems Australia are still struggling to come to terms with what they were, are etc. 
I would hesitate to call anybody outright racists but the treatment of Goodes is astonishing. 

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:53pm
They are sooooooo racist its sick. They make no secret of it either. Ive deleted two people I worked with over there off facebook due to their racist comments - disgusting in this day and age!!!

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

They are sooooooo racist its sick. They make no secret of it either. Ive deleted two people I worked with over there off facebook due to their racist comments - disgusting in this day and age!!!

You are right to blacklist them

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:04pm
Racism is fashionable again. White people say 'Its the new black'.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Really can't get my head around the Adam Goodes situation at all - As a country, it seems Australia are still struggling to come to terms with what they were, are etc. 
I would hesitate to call anybody outright racists but the treatment of Goodes is astonishing. 
The attitude of many white Australians towards Indigeneous people is basically "Know your place. We'll tolerate you if you shut up, smile and don't say anything that might make us uncomfortable, but if you do or say anything that might remind us in any way of the reality of not just the history of white Australia's racism and oppression, but its present, you're going to suffer."

That is the mindset which has led to this situation.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:12pm

Racism is fashionable again. White people say 'Its the new black'.
David Hanly actually once said this on Morning Ireland about Clinton Morrison. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:12pm

What comments were they making?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:19pm

I hope you're not painting every Australian with the same light brush

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:22pm
Tweet from a former Brisbane Roar goalkeeper:

The offending tweet, which has since been deleted.

-------------

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Some Aussies are great craic bit harsh on them, its like everywhere you'll always find a group, either racist or homophobic or both. South Africans are the worst I've ever encountered for racism, Americans towards Mexicans are just as bad.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Some Aussies are great craic bit harsh on them, its like everywhere you'll always find a group, either racist or homophobic or both. South Africans are the worst I've ever encountered for racism, Americans towards Mexicans are just as bad.
Irish towards Travellers too.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Hadn't through about one Sid, travellers usually don't help themselves however. Shows like 'Big fat gypsy wedding' for example.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:36pm

Embarrassed

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:37pm
Sorry I should have said in general but its very very prevalent over there. 

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:52pm

Hadn't through about one Sid, travellers usually don't help themselves however.
That's exactly the type of thing many white Australians would say about Indigenous Australians. 

-------------

Posted By: Just saying like
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:55pm

Hadn't through about one Sid, travellers usually don't help themselves however. Shows like 'Big fat gypsy wedding' for example.

I was on the periphery of a conversation a few days ago about racism and one lad was giving out yards about the racist cops in the US shooting defenseless blacks and saying how he can't understand anyone being a racist.  The conversation broadened to a discussion about non nationals in Ireland and the same lad said something along the lines of " I hate those fcuking Nigerians.  They are all a shower of ignorant kunts sponging off the State."   

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:56pm
If I hate Irish people am I racist?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:58pm
If a person alone in the wilderness says racist things in a forest and no one is around to hear it is the person racist?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:59pm

That's exactly the type of thing many white Australians would say about Indigenous Australians. 

Sid, I don't know what Indigenous Australians get up to Down Under. But I wonder if they randomly arrive on their doorsteps offering numerous services ranging from carpet to putting tarmac down never mind the shows, they're channel 4's best friends these days. That Paddy Doherty fella is now known throughout the land.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:59pm
Why do I like rhetorical questions?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:05pm

Sid, I don't know what Indigenous Australians get up to Down Under. But I wonder if they randomly arrive on their doorsteps offering numerous services ranging from carpet to putting tarmac down never mind the shows, they're channel 4's best friends these days. That Paddy Doherty fella is now known throughout the land.

Do you mean in the Bush?

-------------
I don't know what more we can do in terms of being open and transparent - John Delaney

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

Do you mean in the Bush?

LOL
No in their homeland, what actives they get up to in and around the community.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:08pm

Do you mean in the Bush?

LOL
No in their homeland, what actives they get up to in and around the community.

IS that why they always stick their tongue out?

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:09pm

But just because some travellers do sketchy stuff, doesn't mean all travellers do sketchy stuff.

If you assume all travellers are up to no good, you're prejudging them. If you treat a traveller differently from any other person calling to your door, just because you assume on the basis of them being a traveller that they are up to no good, you are definitely prejudging them and prejudiced against them.

I'm not denying that there are a number of travellers who do sketchy stuff, but if you prejudge them, you are by definition prejudiced.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

But just because some travellers do sketchy stuff, doesn't mean all travellers do sketchy stuff.

If you assume all travellers are up to no good, you're prejudging them. If you treat a traveller differently from any other person calling to your door, just because you assume on the basis of them being a traveller that they are up to no good, you are definitely prejudging them and prejudiced against them.

I'm not denying that there are a number of travellers who do sketchy stuff, but if you prejudge them, you are by definition prejudiced.

Dont mind this angry nordie. The are always angry and bombing stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:11pm

I didn't say all travellers do sketchy stuff SD, I'm just stating they don't help themselves and point out examples. Those shows, and random blokes on your driveway take away from the decent travellers who are out there Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:12pm

Dont mind this angry nordie. The are always angry and bombing stuff.

TJ.. Haven't you heard? There's a 'peace process' up here, not quite sure when this process ends however.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:15pm

TJ.. Haven't you heard? There's a 'peace process' up here in New York, not quite sure when this process ends however.

Fixed that for you, Captain.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:16pm
Was it called the 'peace process' all this time?  I thought it was caleld the 'piece process' because they were dismantling the place with bombs piece by piece.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:21pm

TJ.. Haven't you heard? There's a 'peace process' up here in New York, not quite sure when this process ends however.

Fixed that for you, Captain.

Captain? Ah stop, few years of that yet.. No grey hairs yet! 

You know what i meant, home to me is the North. I always refer back to it LOL

BOMBS? We didn't have bombs.... unless your Willie Frasier, in his eyes we probably have Nuclear bombs hidden in the Crossmaglen hills LOL

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 3:25pm
Why do people make generalised comments about people making generalised comments?  Smacks of generalisation to me. I'm drowning in a sea of introspection and yoghurt mixed with jelly babies.

-------------

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 4:33pm
Dont know much about aussie rules or goodes but it seems some aussie yokels are actually saying that calling him an ape and telling him to go back to the zoo are not racist just crowd banter. The mind boggles. 

booing by opposition fans is part and parcel of any sport calling someone an ape has not and never should be.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 4:40pm

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:15pm
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/30/adam-goodes-should-apologise-says-mother-of-girl-who-called-him-an-ape" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/30/adam-goodes-should-apologise-says-mother-of-girl-who-called-him-an-ape

You couldn't make this up. The girl's mother is calling for an apology. He didn't press charges, said she wasn't to blame to begin with and was pointing it out because of the fact she was a child and it wa indicative of the environment she was brought up in.

If anyone should be apologising to the child, it's her own f**king mother, for bringing her up thinking it was okay to call Goodes an ape, and for using her as a pawn in the media.

F**king hell, the mind boggles.

-------------

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:34pm
On the subject of Aussies, they have reality tv show about the perception of refugees and asylum seekers in Australia and are trying to get people to look at them in a different light. They're bringing reality TV to a whole new level.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/theyre-coming-towards-us-australian-reality-show-defends-sending-participants-into-isis-warzone-in-syria-31415475.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/world-news/theyre-coming-towards-us-australian-reality-show-defends-sending-participants-into-isis-warzone-in-syria-31415475.html

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:39pm

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:42pm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/30/adam-goodes-should-apologise-says-mother-of-girl-who-called-him-an-ape" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/30/adam-goodes-should-apologise-says-mother-of-girl-who-called-him-an-ape

You couldn't make this up. The girl's mother is calling for an apology. He didn't press charges, said she wasn't to blame to begin with and was pointing it out because of the fact she was a child and it wa indicative of the environment she was brought up in.

If anyone should be apologising to the child, it's her own f**king mother, for bringing her up thinking it was okay to call Goodes an ape, and for using her as a pawn in the media.

I loved this comment: “She’d only turned 13 five days beforehand. She was technically still 12. She had no idea what she was saying.â€

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:44pm

I loved this comment: “She’d only turned 13 five days beforehand. She was technically still 12. She had no idea what she was saying.â€

Indeed. And whose f**king fault was that?

Her comments cannot be doing anything other than making her daughter, and others, think it is alright to call Goodes an ape. She's a complete disgrace as a mother, as a person and as an Australian.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:45pm
I'll give them racisists bastids one thing they have a cracking name for a one of those cheap carton of wine so prevalent over there. 

Bloody abo's handbag mate.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:47pm

Indeed. And whose f**king fault was that?

Her comments cannot be doing anything other than making her daughter, and others, think it is alright to call Goodes an ape. She's a complete disgrace as a mother, as a person and as an Australian.
She's also sh*t at maths.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:50pm
Christ. And I used to think Eddie McGuire was alright.

* May 24, 2013: Goodes stops playing and points out a young Collingwood supporter in the crowd who called him an ape during Sydney's clash with the Magpies at the MCG - the opening game of Indigenous Round. The 13-year-old girl later apologises to Goodes, saying she didn't understand it was a racial slur

* May 29, 2013: Collingwood president Eddie McGuire fans the flames of the controversy when he suggests on his morning radio show that Goodes be involved in the promotion of a visiting production of the musical 'King Kong'. He quickly apologises for the gaffe

-------------

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:45pm

You're right there. When the travellers who run channel 4 commission programmes from the travellers who run the independent production companies they're really letting themselves down

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:07pm
Travellers are not a race. They are just a bunch of people that choose to live in caravans. And because of their lifestyle choice their choice of mating with settled folk has diminished so much that they inbreed and share genetics.

If we are going to start calling them a race then we might as well start calling the Royal families of Europe a race.

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:23pm
Being home from oz 2months ago i dont mind tarnishing them as an openly racist lot. They will admit it too. Their fed up with the majority of indigenious people raping the system and being looked after. But also the irish, the lebs, the chinease, the muslims they all get it. All down to the fact that australia has a country is still quite young and struggles for its own identity

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:25pm
I have met only about 5 australian people in my life. But I will say that I haven't liked one of them yet. 

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:35am
Originally posted by dotts101 dotts101 wrote:

Their fed up with the majority of indigenious people raping the system and being looked after.

The cheek of them there indigenious people. Not conforming. Savages the lot of 'em.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:44am
The indigenous (note the correct spelling) population "raping" the system is really so much worse than the system and population that figuratively and, in certain instances, literally raped them and their ancestors. Oh no wait, it's not. They're (again, note the correct spelling of "they're", as in "they are") kind of entitled to be upset. The indigenous population, I mean, not the White Australians.

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 2:21am

All down to the fact that australia has a country is still quite young

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth....

Thousands of years later the empire sent forth it's subjects and they created a whole raft of new countries in the east, west, north and south....

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 5:25am
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

All down to the fact that australia has a country is still quite young

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth....

Thousands of years later the empire sent forth it's subjects and they created a whole raft of new countries in the east, west, north and south....

The Empire Strikes Back

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:51am

I have met only about 5 australian people in my life. But I will say that I haven't liked one of them yet. 

As each one is 'in your head' it is not unsurprising that you dislike them

-------------

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 11:02am
I am just repeating what was told to me by some aussies regarding the indigenous population. @superdave sorry for the grammar😡.

The aussie attitude being that the indigenous have received their apology for the past and have been heavily compensated for that also( not condoning money as a compensation for rape and everything else they suffered). They are given modern accommodation to which they strip out and destroy. Jobwise their if an indigenous person applies for a job they to be given preferential treatment in the application process, obviously depending on the level of the job(again word for wordnit may not be correct but is there or thereabouts). In my experience over there of the indigenous that i seen first hand predominatly in kingscross, cairns and darwin they are all off their rockers

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 11:27am
I have no experience of the aborigine people but from speaking with lads who were in Oz working on housing projects etc the one thing they did say was that they don't do themselves any favours and that alcoholism is rife amongst the aboriginal people.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 11:45am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

I have no experience of the aborigine people but from speaking with lads who were in Oz working on housing projects etc the one thing they did say was that they don't do themselves any favours and that alcoholism is rife amongst the aboriginal people.

I have heard the same about alcoholism but then I would hardly class that as them not doing themselves any favours. 

Posted By: Razor1890
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 12:10pm
http://www.theguardian.com/s/2015/jul/30/adam-goodes-should-apologise-says-mother-of-girl-who-called-him-an-ape - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/30/adam-goodes-should-apologise-says-mother-of-girl-who-called-him-an-ape
You had me at “She’d only turned 13 five days beforehand. She was technically still 12", Jesus wept.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

a lot of aussies and others say the same about the Irish.

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 12:44pm
Yes the indigenous population have serious social issues that can make them undesirable to the mainstream white community. It's hardly amazing that a proud tribal people who had their homeland stolen, were victims of ethnic cleansing and were terrorized in unimaginable ways - all in the relatively recent past - are now struggling to be upstanding members of what the colonisers imagine to be polite society.

They have substance abuse issues as alcohol the same as most marginalised communities across the globe do. You treat a group of people as worthless and lower class citizens and see the damage that it does to their psyche

We, ourselves, were regarded as scum by some in the international community and only really started shaking off some of our insecurities in the late 80's. And the English treated us like f**king royalty in comparison to the sh1te dished out to the Aborigines.

The reality is that is a poxy state of affairs and there is no quick fix. The settlers caused this mess and the levels of inherent racism in Oz is absolutely disgusting. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:01pm
Strewth mate wad a load of cobblers, yah liberal Irish drunken bastard, when don't yah get the boat if yah don't like it here.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:07pm
when you read about other marginalised groups you really have to admire the tinkers and how industrious they are being able to afford big houses in places like Rathkeale, driving brand new 4x4's, lavish weddings and annual pilgrimages to Memphis Big smile

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net