Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=25987
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 7:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jonny Hayes
Posted By: The GerK
Subject: Jonny Hayes
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 10:09am
Young winger for Inverness, scored against the Huns yesterday and out in an outstanding performance

Anyone know anything else about him?

Replies:
Posted By: soccerc
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 10:27am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Young winger for Inverness, scored against the Huns yesterday and out in an outstanding performance

Anyone know anything else about him?

Yeah, he's not that young (23) Ex Cherry Orchard and signed for Reading  and then when let go moved to Leicester before joining ICT

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 10:44am
The goal was one of the best I've seen.

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 2:32pm
link?

-------------

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

link?

http://soccer-portal.org/cat/goal-of-the-day/4917-johnny-hayes-goal-v-rangers.html - http://soccer-portal.org/cat/goal-of-the-day/4917-johnny-hayes-goal-v-rangers.html

ClapClap

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 2:48pm
Jesus what a strike

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: dublin-hammer
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 2:52pm
take a bow son! 

-------------
I'm not a fascist, I'm a priest. Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas...priests... More drink!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 4:27pm
Stunning goal - never heard of him either..

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 11:48pm
Cracking finish and did Celtic a big favour.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 6:48am
Fooking CrackerClap

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: Mr Marbles
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 7:40am
Great goal

Posted By: Wearside Bhoy
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:02pm
Wonder if the Trap saw it ?

-------------
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:26am
Only seein this now, tremendous finish, take a boo son!! Clap

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:33am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Only seein this now, tremendous finish, take a boo son!! Clap

Boo-urns

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Sloop John G
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 10:38am
Hayes has scored is 1st goal of the season for Inverness.

Posted By: Galoglas
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 10:05pm
Posted on here a few times leading up to the game at Parkhead and will do again before June.Reason for posting is really wanted to find out if Hayes is even quoted for the Ireland squad as he is playing out his skin this season for Aberdeen. Or is the fact he plays in Scotland and doesn't play for Celtic mean he has no chance.To be honest I wouldn't fancy him running at our defence in June but the guy will be a contender for player of the year in Scotland this year and if we could find a Scottish granny he'd be playing for us.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 10:15pm
Moved your post Galo.
Haven't heard any mootings myself. Probably way off radar but a few summer friendlies could change that. Keep the reports coming

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Galoglas Galoglas wrote:

Posted on here a few times leading up to the game at Parkhead and will do again before June.Reason for posting is really wanted to find out if Hayes is even quoted for the Ireland squad as he is playing out his skin this season for Aberdeen. Or is the fact he plays in Scotland and doesn't play for Celtic mean he has no chance.To be honest I wouldn't fancy him running at our defence in June but the guy will be a contender for player of the year in Scotland this year and if we could find a Scottish granny he'd be playing for us.

Only way he'd get near a squad (even experimental squad - which we wont have until this campaign is completely finished) is if he left Aberdeen for as you say Celtic or England.

Is he really better than McGeady, Brady, McClean, Pilkington, Walters regardless?

Willo Flood, incidentally, was rumoured in the media to be on the verge of a call up last year as Keane had been impressed by him. Never happened, and probably never will any time soon 

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Moved your post Galo.
Haven't heard any mootings myself. Probably way off radar but a few summer friendlies could change that. Keep the reports coming
Fine with me,funny seeing him described as "young". Not to bothered if he is "off the radar" until after you play us in June.

"Is he really better than McGeady, Brady, McClean, Pilkington, Walters regardless"

You wouldn't find an Aberdeen supporter who would let him go in a straight swap for McGeady.And I don't know who the other guys are.But hey I don't know some of the names in the Scotland squad that play in England.

"Willo Flood, incidentally, was rumoured in the media to be on the verge of a call up last year as Keane had been impressed by him. Never happened, and probably never will any time soon"

Has been out injured ,popular player,hard working but might struggle to get back in this Aberdeen team.

Posted By: keith3307
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 3:10pm
He plays lb on occasion i read, Is he any use as a lb?

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 4:31pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Moved your post Galo.
Fine with me,funny seeing him described as "young". Not to bothered if he is "off the radar" until after you play us in June.

"Is he really better than McGeady, Brady, McClean, Pilkington, Walters regardless"

You wouldn't find an Aberdeen supporter who would let him go in a straight swap for McGeady.And I don't know who the other guys are.But hey I don't know some of the names in the Scotland squad that play in England.

"Willo Flood, incidentally, was rumoured in the media to be on the verge of a call up last year as Keane had been impressed by him. Never happened, and probably never will any time soon"

Has been out injured ,popular player,hard working but might struggle to get back in this Aberdeen team.

Aberdeen fans must be off their heads in that case, because McGeady would quite possibly win them the SPL single handedly. I've seen Hayes play on quite a few occasions, he always struck me as a good player at SPL level, that's kind of the problem though, it's hard to judge exactly how good a guy is when he's playing the the SPL. Another of Aberdeen's Irishmen, Adam Rooney, is a prime example of that. He was fantastic with Inverness, got a move to Birmingham in the Championship and did nothing, dropped down to League One with Swindon and Oldham and didn't fare much better, but lo and behold, he moves back to the SPL with Aberdeen and instantaneously starts banging in the goals again.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by keith3307 keith3307 wrote:

Initially surprised to see him there but he is fast and as hard as nails so he does very well when asked to fill in there.

Posted By: keith3307
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 6:09pm

Originally posted by keith3307 keith3307 wrote:

Initially surprised to see him there but he is fast and as hard as nails so he does very well when asked to fill in there.
Thanks, That might be his best chance into the squad. I wouldnt mind himself and Rooney looked at in a friendly.Aberdeen have been playing well.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 7:31pm
Mentioned it on a thread in the whatever section before but a mate of mine roomed with him on underage Ireland duty, he rests his sack on the rim when he's having a donald LOL

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Zico
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 8:53pm
FFS.

I can see that as a trivial question on a question of sport.

-------------
I want to eat your ....

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Mentioned it on a thread in the whatever section before but a mate of mine roomed with him on underage Ireland duty, he rests his sack on the rim when he's having a donald LOL

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this. Donald = Donald Duck, right? But how would his roommate know? And then, 'rests his sack on the rim'! Mind boggles...

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 6:48am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this. Donald = Donald Duck, right? But how would his roommate know? And then, 'rests his sack on the rim'! Mind boggles...
Donald = Donald Trump = Dump

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Donald = Donald Trump = Dump

Aaahh, thanks, makes sense now! LOL

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 4:50pm
I thought that manoeuvre was pretty common. It avoids the 'helmet rub off toilet bowl' scenario!

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 5:10pm

LOL

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I thought that manoeuvre was pretty common. It avoids the 'helmet rub off toilet bowl' scenario!

I'd have to be sitting right up at the front of the bowl in order to be able to rest my sack on the rim. Would there not be a risk of pissing on the floor? And would there not be an increased risk of leaving skiddies?

Waste of time in my opinion.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 12:44am
All in all Hayes can be pleased with his lot over the past few days, not exactly headline grabbing material but he did fine especially tonight.

I love his willingness to run back and help out the defence, not to mention after he strung a few simple passes to his team mates he grew in confidence and started to take on the full backs.

Nice little addition to the squad and will hopefully replace some of the deadwood. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:06am
Thought he looked exceptionally one dimensional tbh, didn't see anything to suggest we'll see any more of him in an Irish squad. Then again it was only his first experience at international level so perhaps he'll grow into it.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:11am
Have to agree with O'Shea here, really hoping O'Dowda gets his move in the summer so we can get him on the wings.
Hayes is one dimensional, I've watched him a few times at Aberdeen and I've never once though Woah he could add something. Pilkington, McClean are on a different level

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:13am
Here lads I'm not saying Johnny Hayes is a brilliant player or anything ffs LOL

All I said was I'm glad he done ok and will over take some of the deadwood that's been around the squad or extended panels for years. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:15am
Can we try him in left back! Whatcha reckon? Or centre midfield to replace Quinn 😂

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:20am
Hayes plays mostly on the right for Aberdeen does he not? That's where I've seen him play mostly anyway. I do think he looks better there, cutting inside rather than going down the line. Albeit that is at SPL level, so perhaps that's why he seemed more impressive.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:27am
Agreed he is better on the right, but given his age and how he adapted, I doubt we will see him again in green. Unless he joins Yeovil or Shamrock.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:40am
not a bad option  ....for left back i would have tried and tested  stephen quinn  lefty and composed there maybe better chance for him

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:48am
That's maybe a little harsh on him PM. I dont think he's a bad player or anything, and certainly on his day for Aberdeen he can be quite impressive, but perhaps international football is a bridge too far for him and giving his age profile it's hard to see that changing. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though, seems an honest, hard-working guy.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:55am
That is all I meant. Having seen both Yeovil and Shamrock recently, I can confirm he is too good for either, just not good enough for us.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: richie_os
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:59am
Some very harsh opinions in here. The lad made two late cameos in games where the flow had already been completely disrupted by many substitutions. He tracked back well and looked threatening taking on his full back, winning a couple of corners. I wasn't overly thrilled when he was named in the squad, but how anyone can say he's not good enough based on that is beyond me

-------------
(San Marino) I think i'd settle for the draw.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:22am
He looked out of his depth.

Fair play to him though for playing himself into the squad and getting a full international.

But we have a number of better players than him all playing at a higher level.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:28am
Originally posted by richie_os richie_os wrote:

Some very harsh opinions in here. The lad made two late cameos in games where the flow had already been completely disrupted by many substitutions. He tracked back well and looked threatening taking on his full back, winning a couple of corners. I wasn't overly thrilled when he was named in the squad, but how anyone can say he's not good enough based on that is beyond me
Because he isn't good enough. At 29 and when your first cap is a friendly a few months before a major tournament it is vital you hit the ground running. He didn't. He deserved his go but seemed to do the same thing over and over again when he got the ball.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:35am
Minor point but he is 28.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:41am
fair point.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:13pm
I wouldn't completely rule him out, but like others have said there was something that didn't look quite right about him when he got on the ball. It was too predictable or obvious what he was going to do I think. Compare him to someone like Hoolahan who's quite fluid in his movement, and Hayes' whole posture looked wooden and tense. Perhaps that's down to nerves though, I've seen him looked much more sprightly playing for Aberdeen.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 1:16pm
He should stick to the rugby!

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He looked out of his depth.

Fair play to him though for playing himself into the squad and getting a full international.

But we have a number of better players than him all playing at a higher level.

got to agree

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 5:10pm
He's been nominated for Player of the Year in Scotland. Mind you, so has failed Barnsley/Rangers striker Kane Hemmings, now of Dundee...So make of that what you will

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:31pm
i dont think hes good enough but would be interesting to see what he could do with a decent side in the championship perhaps, nice that hes among the finalists for player of the year in scotland

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's been nominated for Player of the Year in Scotland. Mind you, so has failed Barnsley/Rangers striker Kane Hemmings, now of Dundee...So make of that what you will

Harry Kane was awful at Orient

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Harry Kane was awful at Orient

He scored 5 in 18, which isn't too shabby for a 17 year old getting his first taste of adult football. Hemmings on the other hand managed 1 in 9 for a division 3/4 Rangers side and 3 in 23 for Barnsley last season. Slightly different records I think it's fair to say.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:52pm
Think all his loan clubs were disappointed with him, just saw him at Orient and he was like a gazelle. The point was though, players don't work out at certain clubs for a myriad of reasons, doesn't mean they are bad players

-------------

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:59pm
Any relation to Martin Hayes? he was rubbish anorl

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 9:08pm

Think all his loan clubs were disappointed with him, just saw him at Orient and he was like a gazelle. The point was though, players don't work out at certain clubs for a myriad of reasons, doesn't mean they are bad players

I think everyone would accept that point, however it is quite hard to ignore the fact that a lot of guys seem to go to the SPL having done nothing of note with their careers and suddenly achieve a great degree of success there. Either Scottish teams are brilliant motivators and facilitators of untapped talent, or the standard just isn't very good.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Charlo
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 11:30pm

Originally posted by richie_os richie_os wrote:

Because he isn't good enough. At 29 and when your first cap is a friendly a few months before a major tournament it is vital you hit the ground running. He didn't. He deserved his go but seemed to do the same thing over and over again when he got the ball.
MON likes a player that can cross a ball. Hayes has that in his locker, bit of old skool in him in getting to the byeline and he puts whip on the cross. At times his game reminds me of one of O'Neill's favourites from his club days in that of Steve Guppy!

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 11:39pm

I think everyone would accept that point, however it is quite hard to ignore the fact that a lot of guys seem to go to the SPL having done nothing of note with their careers and suddenly achieve a great degree of success there. Either Scottish teams are brilliant motivators and facilitators of untapped talent, or the standard just isn't very good.

Fair enough. I think Hayes' time with Ireland will be brief, I also think we shouldn't be knocking him for this achievement.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 12:37am
Not knocking him at all, I quite like him actually. He's been excellent for Aberdeen and fully deserves his recognition. I had said in the past he should be looked at for a call-up and I'm glad he got his chance. I'm simply pointing out that when the likes of Kane Hemmings are getting nominated for PoTY, it doesn't say a massive amount for the standard of the SPL.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:51pm
A clean-sweep of all the major accolades at Aberdeen's award ceremony last night for Hayes.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Hoppy
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 1:38pm
That Jonny Hayes for Aberdeen is a class act, causes all sorts of problems for fullbacks

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:33pm
JH has scored for Aberdeen v sevco.

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:37pm
Took his goal very well but just gave away a stupid penalty.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:38pm
And now given away a penalty! Terrible defending.

Posted By: Darrener
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 3:20pm
He was given Man of the Match Thumbs Up

Posted By: stokeirish
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Darrener Darrener wrote:

He was given Man of the Match Thumbs Up

Well each to their own but I thought his performance was something of a mixed bag but glad he got the goal against them lot

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 5:25pm
Scored the opener today.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 8:27pm
JH has scored Aberdeens third goal v Kilmarnock tonight.

-------------

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:21am
Cardiff City had a bid rejected

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer-centre/article/168/10726814/cardiff-city-offer-for-aberdeen-winger-jonny-hayes-rejected" rel="nofollow - http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer-centre/article/168/10726814/cardiff-city-offer-for-aberdeen-winger-jonny-hayes-rejected

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 8:28pm
JH has scored for Aberdeen tonight.

-------------

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 2:05pm
Was absolutely robbed of an assist last night LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/39500209" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/39500209

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Was absolutely robbed of an assist last night LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/39500209" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/39500209
Always the same old Storey.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:16pm
Jonny Hayes looks about 40. The nose on him.

Fair play to himself and Rooney scoring today to put Aberdeen in the final.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 2:20pm
He looks like a fella in the early house on a Monday morning, lovely little dig at the Huns though.Clap

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 3:02pm
Looked decent against Iceland. Rooney has to get a run out in June

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: Rustybedsprings
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:47pm
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0502/871939-jonny-hayes-short-listed-for-scottish-player-award/

Well done Jonny Hayes, great season for Aberdeen.

Baring a major split in the votes I'd say he's little chance of winning it though.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:53pm
When is he signing for Celtic?

Posted By: Rustybedsprings
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:56pm
Unlikely, he's a bit too old for Celtics signing policy, also Celtic have decent options on their wings with Sinclair & Forrest. I think there was a EFL championship side after him over the winter window though?

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Nowhere near good enough, he is loved in Aberdeen but he might fancy the money in the championship.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:09pm

Nowhere near good enough, he is loved in Aberdeen but he might fancy the money in the championship.
Brendan Rodgers was singing Jonny's praises recently think he worked with him at Reading but I agree I can't see the Dub going to Celtic

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:00pm

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think he'd inprove them but is he any worse than Mackay-Steven, Forrest etc.? Probably not... Sinclair is Celtics only winger who's markedly better, and Roberts won't be there next year so they'll need some extra depth.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:08pm

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think he'd inprove them but is he any worse than Mackay-Steven, Forrest etc.? Probably not... Sinclair is Celtics only winger who's markedly better, and Roberts won't be there next year so they'll need some extra depth.
Mackay-Steven is nowhere near good enough either, although I think when he gets his confidence back he will at least an equal to Hayes for another Scottish club. I am not a big fan of Forrest but he is much better this season and would have him over Hayes every time, I would actually say markedly better.  Forrest will be kept in and around the squad, another right winger is definitely needed though.
There has been talk of Pep wanting to assess Roberts in the summer before, possibly, sending him out again on loan for the year. I think the club should push the boat out to have him at Celtic in some shape or form, the lad is different class.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:12pm
Celtic will buy quality over quantity in the summer, if Delia was still in charge you could definitely see someone like Hayes interesting him.

With Brendan, I can see just a couple of additions but they will players like Sinclair will go straight into the starting line up and be expected to be automatic week in week out, I couldn't see Hayes fitting that profile. 

Kouassi was signed for the CL qualifiers in mind and more the future than the right now, with Celtic's engine room more than capable. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Celtic will buy quality over quantity in the summer, if Delia was still in charge you could definitely see someone like Hayes interesting him.

With Brendan, I can see just a couple of additions but they will players like Sinclair will go straight into the starting line up and be expected to be automatic week in week out, I couldn't see Hayes fitting that profile. 

Kouassi was signed for the CL qualifiers in mind and more the future than the right now, with Celtic's engine room more than capable. 
Spot on, Hayes would have been someone Deila would have looked at.
I actually think there will be a few ins and outs this year though. There is a few of the higher earners amongst those who have contracts up; Touré, Commons, Ambrose, Roberts Ciftci, Ambrose etc. I would imagine that the overall wage bill would be more likely to rise than fall. Add in GMS, Bitton almost certainly leaving and there will be a few key arrivals and squad players coming. If Dembele was to stay I would expect a right winger as his first key signing.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:42pm

Mackay-Steven is nowhere near good enough either, although I think when he gets his confidence back he will at least an equal to Hayes for another Scottish club. I am not a big fan of Forrest but he is much better this season and would have him over Hayes every time, I would actually say markedly better.  Forrest will be kept in and around the squad, another right winger is definitely needed though.
There has been talk of Pep wanting to assess Roberts in the summer before, possibly, sending him out again on loan for the year. I think the club should push the boat out to have him at Celtic in some shape or form, the lad is different class.

I'm not suggesting Celtic should sign him, just that he'd easily be good enough to be a squad player for them based on what they have there at the moment. I don't think Hayes is outstanding, but he's undoubtedly been one of the top players in the SPL for a few years now, he's certainly the standout for Aberdeen (ie.the leagues second best club). For that reason alone I think it's a bit ridiculous to scoff at the idea of him playing for Celtic, and if he were 5 years younger I'd say there would be a decent chance of it happening.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:51pm

I'm not suggesting Celtic should sign him, just that he'd easily be good enough to be a squad player for them based on what they have there at the moment. I don't think Hayes is outstanding, but he's undoubtedly been one of the top players in the SPL for a few years now, he's certainly the standout for Aberdeen (ie.the leagues second best club). For that reason alone I think it's a bit ridiculous to scoff at the idea of him playing for Celtic, and if he were 5 years younger I'd say there would be a decent chance of it happening.
There is no player playing for another club in Scotland who is at the required standard Celtic have set, that is just being realistic.  As I have said, he would probably have been signed under Deila but the idea can be "scoffed" at these days.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:25pm
Hayes is no Willo Flood

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:58pm

There is no player playing for another club in Scotland who is at the required standard Celtic have set, that is just being realistic.  As I have said, he would probably have been signed under Deila but the idea can be "scoffed" at these days.

Actually, I'd say it's the exact opposite of realistic, it's bordering on absurd. To suggest there's no other players in the SPL who would even be useful squad players for Celtic makes no sense at all, it's positively illogical.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:12pm

Actually, I'd say it's the exact opposite of realistic, it's bordering on absurd. To suggest there's no other players in the SPL who would even be useful squad players for Celtic makes no sense at all, it's positively illogical.
There really isn't though, it isn't absurd to anybody who has been following Scottish football this season. If you want a third choice keeper or ninth choice midfielder maybe. It is a mixture of the division being of quite poor standard and Celtic having improved and set higher targets for the club. The fact Ryan Christie has got more games in two months on loan at Aberdeen than two years at Celtic would highlight that.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:49pm
Just to show that it wasn't an off the cuff remark or exaggeration, this was the team the Daily Record picked as the best of the rest 11 in the SPFL.

Clark -St. Johnstone

Logan- Aberdeen
Lindsay- Partick
Souttar-Hearts
Wallace- the Rangers

Walker- Hearts
McLean- Aberdeen
McGinn- Hibs
Hayes- Aberdeen

Cummings- Hibs
Rooney- Aberdeen

I disagree with Clark, I still think Foderingham is the best outside of Celtic but, as he showed on Saturday, isn't great. We need a better challenge to Gordon than Dorus or Wes.

Shay Logan is a fine right-back and would do a decent job in the championship, is nowhere Lustig or Gamboa.
Liam Lindsay is actually someone I have suggested wouldn't be a bad signing in the past, there is little to suggest he is better than young Kris Ajer , who Rodgers sees as a centre-half. We need a decent and experienced centre-half to replace Touré, who I feel has been a flop.
Souttar- A lot of hype but no substance, he is young but I don't think is good enough. 
Wallace- One of the Rangers better players but showed how out of his depth he was at international level. 

Walker- An average right-winger, not exactly a replacement for Roberts. Isn't even anywhere near GMS, never mind Forrest
McLean- Far too inconsistent, even within games, but he does have talent. He wouldn't get near the team
McGinn- Very similar to above, but is younger and has more drive. I once thought he could replace Brown but now I am not so sure. He definitely needs to be playing regularly to develop and would be behind Brown, Armstrong, Kouassi, Bitton, Rogic, McGregor
Hayes- has been discussed.

Cummings- Will be a decent player in the Scottish Premiership, I don't think he will be any more. 
Rooney- Extremely limited but making the most of it. There is a reason he hasn't been seen for Ireland.

Back to Hayes himself, he played left back on Saturday and was poor by all accounts, ruling him out as an option there.

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 03 May 2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Hayes is no Willo Flood

Beat me to it Horsey LOL

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:00pm
Hayes had a great cup final yesterday , pity he got a knock and looks likely to miss the Mexico game as I'm sure he would've started

Harry Redknapp was at the game scouting Aberdeen players so wouldn't be surprised to see Jonny at Birmingham next season

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:17pm
Would that be an upward or a downward move?

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Would that be an upward or a downward move?

Definitely Upward

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:35pm
2nd best team in Scotland and playing in Europe to relegation-fighting championship team...

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:41pm

2nd best team in Scotland and playing in Europe to relegation-fighting championship team...

Why ask the question if you're going to respond like that? You've obviously your mind made up.

You do realize they may not be fighting relegation next season.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:53pm
Ah cool the jets, just asking what people think. I'm not sure it's so clear-cut tbh.  

Bit of a shame he didn't get a move down south or to Celtic when he was a little younger, as he's getting on for a winger now.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 29 May 2017 at 1:30am

Ah cool the jets, just asking what people think. I'm not sure it's so clear-cut tbh.  

Bit of a shame he didn't get a move down south or to Celtic when he was a little younger, as he's getting on for a winger now.

Apart from the games Aberdeen play against Celtic, Hayes is playing every week against teams that aren't championship standard, and in many cases nowhere near it. It's an upward move.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 29 May 2017 at 3:00am
And whatever games Aberdeen have in Europe.

But fair enough.  That Liam Boyce is the top scorer in the SPL and can't get a look-in for the North, says it all about the SPL I suppose...

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 29 May 2017 at 4:53pm
Hayes is a decent player and in the dreadful friendly with Iceland didn't look out of place particularly and deserves a better coach than that bottler McInnes.

Scottish hacks trying to make out however if Roberts stays at City, Rodgers will sign Hayes but I don't see that at all.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net