URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=24788
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Penalty Points
Posted By: bhob
Subject: Penalty Points
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 5:31am
Anyone on here got some?

Got my first 2 there on saturday doing 71kmph on a 50kmph road. Was raging that they were there as it was a fairly straight road about 800m long and just between two sets of lights

Just find it a bit stupid that the limit was only 50 on the road when some country roads are 80kmph etc

For anyone who knows it, it was the road behind the Beacon in Sandyford on the way to Clonskeagh

Replies:
Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 5:41am
Have 4 from operation freeflow from Xmas last year. When do they expire actually?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 5:46am
Think its around 3years for them to be gone.

There were two lads doing the speed checks and one was the spits of this lads

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 6:04am
I have 3 points (UK).......from two years ago.....was only doing 45 in 40 mph area........that said as my car has "a rake of horses" and I drive 20k miles pa ,I'll say I'm happy to have just 3

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: Gavintheslob
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 6:39am
some of the speed limits are ridiculous the road at the back of the dundrum town centre being 50 and its a long straight wide road and they are always on it and then the tallaght bypass at the spawell being 60 that is a joke and they are always there too then you go down the country and all them windy little roads where most of the fatalities happen are 80-100, another place i have seen them is on the m50 going southbound just before the redcow exit

-------------
Its very frustrating being a Slob

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 6:59am

the places they do the speed checks are ridiculous, its nothing to fo with safety its just to catch you out.

Always on the road at the end of the M50 towards clare hall. A long straight road just as you come off the motorway and the limit is 60kph.
At the end of the M! it goes from 100 to 80 to 50 over a short space and that always are catching people in a spot were they can't be seen Angry

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:10am
There is gonna be a lot more points dished out when the private speed cameras are fully operational

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/private-firm-to-set-speed-traps-at-600-collision-blackspots-2149425.html

I had 6 but they have all been wiped out as they are well over three years old

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:19am
Where I live down a country lane well sort of the limit is 80KM I tell yer you would want to have a death wish at that speed .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:25am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Anyone on here got some?

Got my first 2 there on saturday doing 71kmph on a 50kmph road. Was raging that they were there as it was a fairly straight road about 800m long and just between two sets of lights

Got my first two last summer doing 61kph in a 50 zone and like your story; on a main drag road and just as I'd gotten to the top of a hill. Doesn't everyone accelerate going up a hill?

I didn't really mind the fine as it has thought me to treat the entire city now as a 50 zone, but getting penalty points as well was very annoying. Especially, when I heard of some people getting the same amount of points for doing speeds like 150kph in an 80 zone.

Some dual carraigeways have a myraid of speed limits stretching from 50KPH through 60/80/100. I really wish they would standardise these.

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:32am
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

the places they do the speed checks are ridiculous, its nothing to fo with safety its just to catch you out.

Always on the road at the end of the M50 towards clare hall. A long straight road just as you come off the motorway and the limit is 60kph.
At the end of the M! it goes from 100 to 80 to 50 over a short space and that always are catching people in a spot were they can't be seen Angry

Dead right. You never see them on roads where people actually get killed. They are hiding where the speed limit changes and nail people just to say "look at all these penalty points we are dishing out, we're doing our job its not our fault people are getting killed". Its how I got my 2 penalty points. Absolutely no danger in the speed I was doing on the straight stretch of road I was on. Typical lazy cops. Angry

Posted By: AidoM
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:33am
Here's a link to where the speed cameras are:

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=109&Lang=1 - www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=109&Lang=1

-------------
But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!

Posted By: Ireland4ever
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

some of the speed limits are ridiculous the road at the back of the dundrum town centre being 50 and its a long straight wide road and they are always on it and then the tallaght bypass at the spawell being 60 that is a joke and they are always there too then you go down the country and all them windy little roads where most of the fatalities happen are 80-100, another place i have seen them is on the m50 going southbound just before the redcow exit

I got done there last year, foocking ridiculous it is, you'd be over the limit freewheeling down that hill.

I've 8 points now, have to drive like a granny for the next year before any of my points come off.

Posted By: Babysis
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Where I live down a country lane well sort of the limit is 80KM I tell yer you would want to have a death wish at that speed .

Absolutely murph. Stretches of the N59 out to my granddad's would be suicide to drive the speed limit. There is a crazy stretch of road from Letterfrack to Clifden too that is classed as a national road and so has too high a speed limit for the conditions IMO Confused

-------------
First Commander-Galway Regatta

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

I got done there last year, foocking ridiculous it is, you'd be over the limit freewheeling down that hill.

I've 8 points now, have to drive like a granny for the next year before any of my points come off.

8!!! Wow thats a lot, how much is your insurance do you mind me asking?

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:50am
I'm banned off the road at the minute, got stopped at a checkpoint the morning after a night out. 2 years off the road for driving with a hangover

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:51am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

8!!! Wow thats a lot, how much is your insurance do you mind me asking?

I only had six points when i got my renewal, its €580 with step back NCD protection. I have 6 years NCD so thats the main  thing they look for.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:54am
Thats a really good price with 6 points

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

I'm banned off the road at the minute, got stopped at a checkpoint the morning after a night out. 2 years off the road for driving with a hangover

Jaysis Shocked

A night in tomangoes take you off the road?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 9:02am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Jaysis Shocked

It was indeed, you know that Summerfest thing they put on during the August bank holiday, was down at that for the day then joes. Woke up around 2pm the next day and drove down the spar to get a fry up and the bastards were set up on the strand road CryCry

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 9:05am

Jaysis Shocked

It was indeed, you know that Summerfest thing they put on during the August bank holiday, was down at that for the day then joes. Woke up around 2pm the next day and drove down the spar to get a fry up and the bastards were set up on the strand road CryCry

2 O'Clock and you were still over the limit. I'd have always thought i'd be well sober at that time of the day after a session.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 9:08am
Not about being sober though. Alcohol still well and truly in the system. If they continue this line nobody would be left on the road.

You're lucky you dont drive for a living Max. Otherwise you would be well and truly fooked!

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 9:29am

Jaysis Shocked

Thats absolutely ridiculousShocked

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 9:33am
I got stopped there recently on a fairly big road at the back of the industrial estate where i work- copper on a bike says to me that i was 10kmh over the speed limit, there was a guy in front of me doing exactly the same speed so i told the copper this as i had been behind the same car for a while- he said thats not the point- you were speeding- i said well why didnt you stop the both of us- after a bit more persuasion he let me go the fookin plank

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 9:46am
Some dude on the radio said a while ago that he got done for drink driving.
Said he went out at about 6 and drank till 12.
Got up at 9 the next day and went out in the car at 6 that evening and he was still over the limit Dead

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 9:56am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Some dude on the radio said a while ago that he got done for drink driving.
Said he went out at about 6 and drank till 12.

Got up at 9 the next day and went out in the car at 6 that evening and he was still over the limit Dead

The rule of thumb is 1 unit per hour. If someone drank about 25 units I suppose it's possible they'd still be over the limit some 18 hours later?

As someone who grew up with a culture of drink driving and only a latter convert to not doing so, all I know is that these days, whenever I'm going out on a big session, I make sure I'm not driving the next day AT ALL.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:01am
One thing that does irritate me is that should the new lower limit as proposed comes in, we may all give up driving the next day after any session!

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:06am
I should have about 100 points at this stage. I have gotten away with so much lately. The other night I left work to go home for lunch and I kinda sorta broke a red light got followed for about 5/6 minutes with the sirens and all and I didnt even notice them . Only copped it when I pulled up outside my house and they came over to my car. I turned on the charm and got away with it Same happened me going to see Westlife in cork a few years ago they were following me for ages but this time they gave me the points the bowsies!!!

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:13am
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

I should have about 100 points at this stage. I have gotten away with so much lately. The other night I left work to go home for lunch and I kinda sorta broke a red light got followed for about 5/6 minutes with the sirens and all and I didnt even notice them . Only copped it when I pulled up outside my house and they came over to my car. I turned on the charm and got away with it Same happened me going to see Westlife in cork a few years ago they were following me for ages but this time they gave me the points the bowsies!!!

SGB........get yourself one of these....they really are quite useful

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:30am

LOLLOL Sort of broke a red light??

Its easy do though. I was driving through Castlebar the last day and there is one stretch of road where they have traffic lights just to let pedestrians cross the road. I saw the red lights but it didnt register with me that it meant stop, sailed through the red lights and about 5 seconds later it dawned on me I was suppossed to stop Embarrassed

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

I have 3 points (UK).......from two years ago.....was only doing 45 in 40 mph area........that said as my car has "a rake of horses" and I drive 20k miles pa ,I'll say I'm happy to have just 3

Didnt your chauffeur take the points though ?Wink

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Didnt your chauffeur take the points though ?Wink

No.......it was a saturday.... his day off

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:38am
For SGB and the walls.......

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:49am

For SGB and the walls.......

Cheers hey LOLLOLEmbarrassed

Posted By: Ginzo
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:50am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Anyone on here got some?

Just find it a bit stupid that the limit was only 50 on the road when some country roads are 80kmph etc

For anyone who knows it, it was the road behind the Beacon in Sandyford on the way to Clonskeagh

its 50 there cause of the school and the hospital.. those points last for two years and then there gone,when i had two it didnt affect my insurance either,just make sure u dont get more!

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:52am
Ginzo I have 2 points and Im almost certain they last for 3 years, hope you're right though

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:58am
I am a great driver ill have you know Does this ever happen anyone tho, you could be driving somewhere on your own and thinking about stuff and then you just arrive at your destination and you cant really remember your journey? Always happens me as I must go into a total daydream in the car on my own

Posted By: Ginzo
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 11:00am

I am a great driver ill have you know Does this ever happen anyone tho, you could be driving somewhere on your own and thinking about stuff and then you just arrive at your destination and you cant really remember your journey? Always happens me as I must go into a total daydream in the car on my own

literally everytime i drive anyway, im away with the fairies driving most of the time!

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 11:01am

yeah am in a world of my own sometimes

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 11:03am

That happens to most people (apart from new drivers). When you do something regularly you do it without thinking, you do it subconsciously

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 11:03am
It happens me on the M50 all the time on my way to college and stuff. I just arrive in Maynooth and totally forget the drive down. Glad I am not the only one

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 11:29am

Jaysis Shocked

2 O'Clock and you were still over the limit. I'd have always thought i'd be well sober at that time of the day after a session.
thats why i always get the bus(peace of mind), check point there on sunday near your gaff when i was heading home..

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 11:37am

Jaysis Shocked

I was completely sober, just still had alcohol in my system. They reckon you should give yourself 2 hours for every pint to be on the safeside, so if I stuck to their recommendations I prob shouldnt have been driving for a good 2 days after that session! LOL Nah but I've been told the main reason I was still over was because I hadnt eatne anything so it would have been easier for the thing o detect the alcohol. It's sh*tty considering the people who drive round the place butchered and never get caught but sure ya get used to it...

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 12:08pm
Only got me license back after 3 years off the road. Had no penalty points at all but got done the morning after. I had only got 4 hours kip and shouldn't have driven. But was still so high over the limit. But it's mad cause I drank 3 points one time and got stopped and checked and I was under the limit! Vodka was the killer for me.
Won't be taking any risks going forward

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 12:20pm

Jaysis Shocked

I was completely sober, just still had alcohol in my system. They reckon you should give yourself 2 hours for every pint to be on the safeside, so if I stuck to their recommendations I prob shouldnt have been driving for a good 2 days after that session! LOL Nah but I've been told the main reason I was still over was because I hadnt eatne anything so it would have been easier for the thing o detect the alcohol. It's sh*tty considering the people who drive round the place butchered and never get caught but sure ya get used to it...

That's aload of pants Max -
I'd say you were freaked with that.
Did you have to go too court or what way did it work out.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Jaysis Shocked

That's aload of pants Max -
I'd say you were freaked with that.
Did you have to go too court or what way did it work out.

Yeah I went to court about 4 or 5 times for it because I orignally got a good solicitor and was pleading not guilty in the hope that the guards had f*cked up somewhere along the way, supposedly it happens a lot more than you'd think. The had it nailed on this occasion though the bastards!!
Went back to appeal it then but dropped he appeal in the end and just took the ban, I can sill appeal the last 1/3 of it though and the guard said I will 99% get that coz it was the morning after...

-------------

Posted By: JH91
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 12:51pm

The girlfriends birthday present makes so much sense now

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by JH91 JH91 wrote:

The girlfriends birthday present makes so much sense now

-------------

Posted By: AKOT
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 1:47pm

A friend of mine friend went down to dublin to galway and back same day  got 12  points for his troubles for attention a funeral (caught speeding up and down) he didnt know till he got the letter in the post

-------------

Posted By: AidoM
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 2:28pm

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

-------------
But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Only got me license back after 3 years off the road. Had no penalty points at all but got done the morning after. I had only got 4 hours kip and shouldn't have driven. But was still so high over the limit. But it's mad cause I drank 3 points one time and got stopped and checked and I was under the limit! Vodka was the killer for me.
Won't be taking any risks going forward

I suppose that's one way of clearing the points  Andy!! Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by AKOT AKOT wrote:

A friend of mine friend went down to dublin to galway and back same day  got 12  points for his troubles for attention a funeral (caught speeding up and down) he didnt know till he got the letter in the post

Another girl got the full whack of points and then banned over speeing coming from the M50 to the road that leads to the Spawell Hotel.
She was caughting speeing everyday not was'nt notificed until about 1/2 weeks later.

Posted By: FiremanDan
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

ClapIs the correct answer.

Breathalysers are similar. They have one regularly on North Strand on a Sunday morning yet 6 hours earlier when the serious drink drivers are likely to be about (and when the fatalities tend to happen) there is never a sign of any.

-------------
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by AidoM AidoM wrote:

I work nights so I have a habit of saying im on my lunch even tho it can be as late as 10 some nights !!!

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:12pm

Originally posted by AidoM AidoM wrote:

I work nights so I have a habit of saying im on my lunch even tho it can be as late as 10 some nights !!!

Did not realise you get breaks, when you are on the game :)

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:20pm
The north are now doing 'speed awareness courses' in lieu of penalty points in some instances.

4 hour course costs £85 instead of £65 fine and 3 penalty points.

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:54am
Can an officer in an unmarked Garda car with a speed gun give you penalty points if they don't chase you down per say?

To cut a long story short I was driving through Roscommon yesterday doing about 110km in a 100km zone and saw this unmarked car a good 30 yards in off the side of the road clocking peoples speed.

I was of the opinion that unless they follow you and then pull you in they can't give you penalty points/fine etc or am I way off?

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:57am
Are they able to prove you were over the limit?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Can an officer in an unmarked Garda car with a speed gun give you penalty points if they don't chase you down per say?

To cut a long story short I was driving through Roscommon yesterday doing about 110km in a 100km zone and saw this unmarked car a good 30 yards in off the side of the road clocking peoples speed.

I was of the opinion that unless they follow you and then pull you in they can't give you penalty points/fine etc or am I way off?

You’ll be fine lad! They’d have to actually stop you to give you the points nothing to worry about. You were only 10km over anyway.

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

but if you hit with a speed gun and not stopped then you are fine. They just give the speed and then the Garda can pull you in if he wants. Roadside cameras and vans are the ones to worry about. 

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:06pm
Cheers gents very much appreciated Clap

I only have 3 points on my licence thus far (not due to be removed until November 2021) but with my job I'm on the road a hell of a lot and travelling long distances every week so extremely dependant on having a car.

6 points could soon become 9 etc you know yourself!!! 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:01pm
So a police car parked on side of the road with a speed gun has to be a marked car for you to get penalty points?

Was certain I was done two weeks ago, doing about 65mph in a 60, police car was unmarked on the hard shoulder with a cop with a gun out the window but nothing has come in yet

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

So a police car parked on side of the road with a speed gun has to be a marked car for you to get penalty points?

Was certain I was done two weeks ago, doing about 65mph in a 60, police car was unmarked on the hard shoulder with a cop with a gun out the window but nothing has come in yet
Pretty sure you get 10% leeway anyway. You do in England

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:43am
I’d heard of that years ago but thought they’d done away with it 

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 9:43pm
If two vehicles on the motorway go past a police van sitting on the hard shoulder checking speeds, at the same time does it check both their speeds or a specific lane?

Posted By: Huggybeer
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:19pm

If two vehicles on the motorway go past a police van sitting on the hard shoulder checking speeds, at the same time does it check both their speeds or a specific lane?

I think the vans are capable of monitoring 6 lanes at one time, so I think yes, they can capture speed of two lanes at one time

-------------
Getting old and intolerant

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:50pm
f**k sake

I’ll have more points than Norwich very soon 

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:29pm
yeah private company arnt going to miss out on potential revenue, fingers crossed

-------------

Posted By: foggy.nelson
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:05pm
Was driving on the M7 motorway Saturday and a guard was pulled in and was using what looked like half a binocular which google has just told me is a monocular. Any idea what this gadget is, I'm more curios than anything as I think I was below the speed anyway

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Was driving on the M7 motorway Saturday and a guard was pulled in and was using what looked like half a binocular which google has just told me is a monocular. Any idea what this gadget is, I'm more curios than anything as I think I was below the speed anyway

Just on the way into Limerick? I saw him too. He looked about 12. 

Plenty of motorists going the opposite way flashing the warning lights so doubt he caught many. 

-------------
Touts Out!

Posted By: foggy.nelson
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Just on the way into Limerick? I saw him too. He looked about 12. 

Plenty of motorists going the opposite way flashing the warning lights so doubt he caught many. 

Yip just after the Birdhill exit.
Can they even catch you if they don't pull you in??
Whatever he was using to check was tine anyway, nothing like a speed gun, more like half a binocularOuchLOL

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:41pm

Same happened me outside of Navan on the road to Dublin. I’d say it depends what angle you and the vehicle on the inside of you was to the camera or device. I know a fella who used to be in the speed cans and he said you literally had to be on top of the vans to to catch you. I would have been over it on that occasions was dead on.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Same happened me outside of Navan on the road to Dublin. I’d say it depends what angle you and the vehicle on the inside of you was to the camera or device. I know a fella who used to be in the speed cans and he said you literally had to be on top of the vans to to catch you. I would have been over it on that occasions was dead on.
Yeah I've heard that you need to be within 80m of the van/gun, so if ya see it soon enough and do a safe emergency break you'll be fine.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 9:03pm
Got pulled over today on the carriageway near Donnybrook Castle and RTE buildings for speeding.

He took all my details and said a fine would be sent in the post but never mentioned anything about penalty points

As a nordie what happens here? Do I get points and I take it I have to pay the fine?

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 9:07pm

Got pulled over today on the carriageway near Donnybrook Castle and RTE buildings for speeding.

He took all my details and said a fine would be sent in the post but never mentioned anything about penalty points

As a nordie what happens here? Do I get points and I take it I have to pay the fine?

I think they carry over but really  not 100% sure 

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 9:11pm

I am pretty sure you cannot get points on a UK licence for any offences down here.  

I don't know what will happen if you don't pay the fine.  

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I am pretty sure you cannot get points on a UK licence for any offences down here.  

I don't know what will happen if you don't pay the fine.  
Points wont be applied alright, but if you don’t pay the fine they will process it as normal and a summons will follow. Of course should you be pulled again with either the outstanding fine and or a no show to the summons it’ll show up and you will have government jewellery applied immediately and a night in the nearest state hotel with a likely visit to a wig wearer the following morning. In short if youre down here frequently, be safer paying the fine and it disappears.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:27pm
Thumbs Up

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 6:43pm
anyone know if there is a rule of thumb % to be applied to insurance premium for points picked up. First time to get 3 points.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 7:22pm
Had 3 points and it didn’t impact my premium at all

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 7:35pm

Thumbs Up

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 8:32am
Yeah 3 is fine, once you're over 6 you get a loading.

You are supposed to declare the 3 though to the insurance company at next renewal anyway

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 11:01am

Yes missus works in a small brokers, 3 points shouldent impact future premium, 6 would i believe,, but you do need to let them know

-------------

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 4:28pm
Yea when I got three  all was ok on insurance made no difference. 

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 6:12pm
When you get points should you tell your insurer or wait til it's being renewed? 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net