Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=23389
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 3:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stoke City
Posted By: ChiefGooner
Subject: Stoke City
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 8:11am
I started watching tony pulis' interview this morning when he was asked about 'that tackle' against dembele of fulham the other night & was about to applaud the man for calling it wreckless BUT he then went on to say that hughes wasn't just angry about that and he was angry at losing after fielding a full team at the brittania!

If that wasn't bad enough, they then show wingnut delap come out with 'he's commited, it looked worse on the TV, there was no malice, the boy's not badly injured AND THE WORST ONE OF ALL "these things happen in football" AngryAngryAngry

Yes they do keep happening in football but especially when stoke city are playing and the english FA keep on letting these type of challenges go unpunished. I am starting to dislike this team & their manager the more I see of them which is a shame as I think that they should be applauded for staying in the premiership on a limited budget but not at the expense of fellow professionals health and wellbeing. 

Replies:
Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 8:22am
I enjoy watching Stoke because of the throw ins and always a good crowd at the Britania but the way their players and manager has acted since they have been promoted has been disturbing. But of course there are some meat head football fans that want to see all this thugishness. They want to see more of this

http://estaticos02.marca.com/albumes/2010/09/19/messilesionujfalusi/1284978658_extras_albumes_1.jpg

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 8:26am
super fans at stoke

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: greenarmy
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 8:30am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

super fans at stoke

Very over rated

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 8:32am
Originally posted by greenarmy greenarmy wrote:

super fans at stoke

Very over rated
oh yeah,how come?im only judging by tv

-------------

Posted By: greenarmy
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 8:41am

super fans at stoke

Very over rated

Been to the Britannia the last 2 seasons for the utd games. Small time supporters with about 3 songs.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 10:26am
Originally posted by ChiefGooner ChiefGooner wrote:

I started watching tony pulis' interview this morning when he was asked about 'that tackle' against dembele of fulham the other night & was about to applaud the man for calling it wreckless BUT he then went on to say that hughes wasn't just angry about that and he was angry at losing after fielding a full team at the brittania!

If that wasn't bad enough, they then show wingnut delap come out with 'he's commited, it looked worse on the TV, there was no malice, the boy's not badly injured AND THE WORST ONE OF ALL "these things happen in football" AngryAngryAngry

Yes they do keep happening in football but especially when stoke city are playing and the english FA keep on letting these type of challenges go unpunished. I am starting to dislike this team & their manager the more I see of them which is a shame as I think that they should be applauded for staying in the premiership on a limited budget but not at the expense of fellow professionals health and wellbeing. 

Alright there Arsene?

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

I enjoy watching Stoke because of the throw ins and always a good crowd at the Britania but the way their players and manager has acted since they have been promoted has been disturbing. But of course there are some meat head football fans that want to see all this thugishness. They want to see more of this

http://estaticos02.marca.com/albumes/2010/09/19/messilesionujfalusi/1284978658_extras_albumes_1.jpg

that the tackle on messi last week?

jaysus lucky to be only out for a couple of weeks with a challenge like that

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 10:40am
Twas Gaz and unfortunately it will take either Messi or Ronaldo to get seriously injured before aggressive tackles are targeted by the footballing authorities. Its still too late for somebody like Van Basten who was kicked out of football

-------------

Posted By: The Violator
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 11:40am
stoke scum

-------------

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 1:40pm

I didn't see that tackle so can't comment on it. But what do you want to do - ban the sliding tackle altogether? Football is a contact sport and it should stay that way. Most people argue that footballer is gone too soft these days. Look at Nani last week - pathetic. I think it's refreshing to see a team that get stuck in and get results. Obviously it's not as good as watching Barca or good passing teams but it takes all sorts to make the world. If a player goes out to deliberatly injure a player, however, they should be heavily punished. Nobody wants to see injuries or mistimed challenges.

It is no coincidence that the majority of people here complaining are Arsenal fans. They are not capable of dealing with teams like this because Wenger doesn't know how to buy a good keeper, centre half or holding midfielder.
As long as they stick within the rules i like Tony Pulis and Stoke. They are a tough tackling, no nonsense bunch of mother fookers Thumbs%20Up

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Alright there Arsene?

LOL

Btw there is a picture from the Atletico v Barca match in a Stoke City thread Confused

-------------

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 3:54pm

Been to the Britannia the last 2 seasons for the utd games. Small time supporters with about 3 songs.

Stoke fans are very noisy in the Britannia stadium.
They get behind their team especially when they are losing.
I can't say the same for ManYoo. Last time I was in OT, (my son likes 'em) the fans were turning on the team because they hadn't scored in the first half!

Yes, Stoke are tough but no rougher than many other sides.
Realistically, they cannot expect to outplay the likes of Arsenal and compete at the same level of passing etc., so pragmatically, Pulis will set them up to make it tough.

If memory serves me correct, isn't that exactly how ManYoo beat the Arsenal last year too?

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 6:15pm

I love Arsenal's passing style, I love players like Fabregas, Wilshere, Rosicky, and poor Ramsey who got hurt last season and Eduardo the season before that, but I also strongly believe that neither Ryan Shawcross or Martin Taylor deliberately set out to injure the Arsenal player that day, Shawcross was reckless cos he coulda hurt himself also and Taylor's was just badly timed from where I saw it.

There are so many aspects to football and hard fair tackling is part and parcel of it.  Sometimes players will mistime it, resulting in inevitable injuries.  The problem is that dirty players and deliberate foul play is not properly punished and the authorities don't seem to know the difference between a mistimed tackle and a plain dirty foul.  2 footed tackles should be an instant red card and a 10 match ban at least.  Going into a tackle with your studs up should be finally outlawed (watch the CL this season, a ref for a CL game will ALWAYS give a foul, but in the EPL, some refs will give a free, some won't and that confusion drives players and fans nuts).  Outlawing a studs up challenge will also reduce injuries.

You can't hope to compete in any match if you aren't prepared to win your physical battles.  For all Wenger's wonderful footballing philosophy, he hasn't won anything since losing the likes of Adams, Bould, Keown, Vieira and Petit who would kick their granny. 

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 6:23pm
Isn't this meant to be mans game. let those two globes under yer knob drop lads, alright Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 6:25pm

super fans at stoke

Very over rated

United fans havent got a pinch of saxa salt on Stoke fans

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: KrisMorrisKross
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Stoke fans are very noisy in the Britannia stadium.
They get behind their team especially when they are losing.
I can't say the same for ManYoo. Last time I was in OT, (my son likes 'em) the fans were turning on the team because they hadn't scored in the first half!

Yes, Stoke are tough but no rougher than many other sides.
Realistically, they cannot expect to outplay the likes of Arsenal and compete at the same level of passing etc., so pragmatically, Pulis will set them up to make it tough.

If memory serves me correct, isn't that exactly how ManYoo beat the Arsenal last year too?
United are officially the best supported club in the world going on average attendance.
Your memory serves you very incorrectly. United pissed on arsenal at the emirates. Nani and Rooney scored candidates for goal of the season. At OT Wenger whinged about a United player (Darren Fletcher) tackling his team. United won that game as well. They also taught them a footballing lesson home and away in the semi final of the Champions League the year before.

-------------
Back o' the Net !

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 4:07pm
If you wanna see tough tackling watch Rugby. The stone age days of football are on their way out and hopefully the meat heads that enjoy seeing the likes of Shawcross, Taylor and Ufalusi do what they do best

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 10:10am
http://www.netballireland.com/ - No tackling allowed

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 10:28am
Sorenson's kicking all over the place

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 11:43am
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

LOL 

I really do find this whinging hilarious coming from a team that had Adams,Vieria, Keown etc... who were hardly renowned for their nice tackling.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 12:02pm
Fantastic 3 points for Stoke Clap

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: The Big Club
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 12:07pm
Cry We are far too inconsistent we gonna struggleCry

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 12:27pm
GWAN STOKE!!

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

LOL 

I really do find this whinging hilarious coming from a team that had Adams,Vieria, Keown etc... who were hardly renowned for their nice tackling.

+1. Man up FFS

Excellent 3 points for Stoke Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 1:26pm
I'd thought Stoke had been dreadfully unlucky to get nothing from the first three games but with seven garnered from the next three and a carling cup win are now nicely back on course.

SS said only one shot on target - does the woodwork(twice) not count as being on target?

Posted By: Jonesy
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 4:40am

Jonesy was quality.

-------------
Get Double Maxim in the Clarehall Dublin Tesco ASAP

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Jonesy Jonesy wrote:

Jonesy was quality.

He sure was. I hope he keeps it up and doesn't revert to past form with other clubs and gives up when the going gets tougher. He's an immense player - on his day he can be as good as Drogba.

Maybe Ricky is bringing the best out in him.

And speaking of Fuller, it looks like http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~2166810,00.html - he's not going to be out for too long after dislocating his shoulder yesterday.

Posted By: ChiefGooner
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 12:46pm

I didn't see that tackle so can't comment on it. But what do you want to do - ban the sliding tackle altogether? Football is a contact sport and it should stay that way. Most people argue that footballer is gone too soft these days. Look at Nani last week - pathetic. I think it's refreshing to see a team that get stuck in and get results. Obviously it's not as good as watching Barca or good passing teams but it takes all sorts to make the world. If a player goes out to deliberatly injure a player, however, they should be heavily punished. Nobody wants to see injuries or mistimed challenges.

It is no coincidence that the majority of people here complaining are Arsenal fans. They are not capable of dealing with teams like this because Wenger doesn't know how to buy a good keeper, centre half or holding midfielder.
As long as they stick within the rules i like Tony Pulis and Stoke. They are a tough tackling, no nonsense bunch of mother fookers Thumbs%20Up

This isn't a 'everyones against arsenal' topic, it's about stoke city which is why I mentioned the tackle against fulham. The last line above says it all 'As long as they stick within the rules...' which I don't believe they always do.
As for their fans, my best mate (who supports spurs) says that the story of their wonderful and loud support at the brittania is greatly exaggerated!
...and as for the moanu fans talking about past arsenal teams, don't get me started on scholes getting away with 'mistimed' tackles for years Wink

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 17 May 2013 at 12:08pm

Can anyone find a link to Pulis's transfers since Stoke got into the Premier League? He has signed some amount of players with most of them only ending up being subs or bit part players.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 17 May 2013 at 12:16pm
http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/stoke-city-have-spent-120m-more-than-arsenal-since-tony-pulis-too" rel="nofollow - http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/stoke-city-have-spent-120m-more-than-arsenal-since-tony-pulis-too

Here's the yearly breakdown:

ARSENAL STOKE
12/13 8.6 20.1
11/12 -17.5 15.9
10/11 6.8 11
09/10 -31 17
08/09 -3.6 16
07/08 13.4 -0.25
06/07 -17 -0.1
Total in £Ms -40.3 79.65

Posted By: irish_stokey
Date Posted: 18 May 2013 at 4:19pm
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/stoke-city-transfers.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/stoke-city-transfers.html

-------------
COYBIG

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 18 May 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by irish_stokey irish_stokey wrote:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/stoke-city-transfers.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/stoke-city-transfers.html

Walters for £2.75m...what a bargain    Clap

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 18 May 2013 at 4:33pm
5.5 million for Dave Kitson LOL

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by max max wrote:

5.5 million for Dave Kitson LOL

Just when i thought i had blocked that out of my mind for ever Cry

-------------
COYBIG

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:29pm
To be fair to pulis though, stoke are still there, at a crucial time financially.

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 2:55pm
Pulis gone?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-pulis-ready-walk-away-145618693.html" rel="nofollow - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-pulis-ready-walk-away-145618693.html

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:05pm
Yep. Most Stoke fans will be happy with the news, but likely less so, will some of the Irish contingent at the club.

I think Pulis did a fine job, getting Stoke to a cup final, did well in Europe and comfortably kept Stoke in the premier league.
He's gone at the right time too, to enable whoever the new manager time to set the club up the way he wants and get in some different players.

Di Matteo the early favourite for the job.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/stoke/next-permanent-manager" rel="nofollow - http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/stoke/next-permanent-manager

Edit: Benitez now favourite. I guess it doesn't take much money for Bookies to drop their prices on speciality bets such as these, where inside info could have a huge bearing and also given that Stoke are owned by a betting firm's family...

Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:00pm
pulis did well, 5 years in the premier league. the begrudging stoke fans that booed him have short memories. you'd have thought he deserved to be offered a role at the club.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:34pm
Tony Pulis more or less only signed British players or players from Britain. In total, he signed five players from abroad who were not British (thus discounting Jermaine Pennant):

Diego Arismendi (from Uruguay): never appeared in a premier league game at Stoke (two Europa League starts, two substitute Europa League appearances, over four seasons)
Brek Shea (from USA): never started a game at Stoke (two substitute premier league appearances, over half a season)
Eidur Gudjohnsen (from France): never started a game at Stoke (four substitute premier league appearances, one substitute app in the league cup, over half a season)
Smajl Suljevic (from Sweden): never played a minute for Stoke
Geoff Cameron (from USA): the single success story, 32 starts, 6 sub appearances.

For a Premier League manager to have such a poor scouting network / worldview defies belief. Even the one success story came in speaking fluent English, as did Eidur Gudjohnsen. Compared to say Moyes at Everton (with the likes of Fellaini, Mirallas and Pienaar being the success stories), Roberto Martinez at Wigan (too many to mention) or anyone at Swansea (Michu anyone?), Pulis's record is absolutely abysmal.

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Tony Pulis more or less only signed British players or players from Britain. In total, he signed five players from abroad who were not British (thus discounting Jermaine Pennant):

Diego Arismendi (from Uruguay): never appeared in a premier league game at Stoke (two Europa League starts, two substitute Europa League appearances, over four seasons)
Brek Shea (from USA): never started a game at Stoke (two substitute premier league appearances, over half a season)
Eidur Gudjohnsen (from France): never started a game at Stoke (four substitute premier league appearances, one substitute app in the league cup, over half a season)
Geoff Cameron (from USA): the single success story, 32 starts, 6 sub appearances.

For a Premier League manager to have such a poor scouting network / worldview defies belief. Even the one success story came in speaking fluent English, as did Eidur Gudjohnsen. Compared to say Moyes at Everton (with the likes of Fellaini, Mirallas and Pienaar being the success stories), Roberto Martinez at Wigan (too many to mention) or anyone at Swansea (Michu anyone?), Pulis's record is absolutely abysmal.

Martin O'Neill is similar

Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:42pm

Pulis's record is absolutely abysmal.

His transfer record you might question, some signings and money spent on certain buys, but the bottom line is 5 years in the premier league for stoke, that is an acheivement......look at the years preceding him. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 5:24pm
End of an era and some real mixed emotions. Will never be able to thank Pulis enough for ending the years & years of sh*te and turning us into a solid premier league team. Add to that an FA cup final and a tour of europe and you have the best few years of my life supporting stoke. However the time is right for him to go as the past 18 months in particular has been truly painful. A bad start next season would have seen ugly scenes at the Brit and the thought of another season of his brand of football in all honestly depressed me.
Thanks for everything Tony you will always be remembered as Stoke City Legend Thumbs Up Time to look to the future

-------------
COYBIG

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 5:45pm

I thought a manager was judged on his results and not where he signed his players from.     What difference does it make where the players he signed came from if they got good results within the budget he was given.   So now he is being harshly compared to a manager who relegated his club when Pulis did not get relegated from the premier league with Stoke.  

Football is really becoming mad with fashions and fads and all sorts. At the end of the day his record at Stoke stands up to scrutiny.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 5:45pm
Who are they getting in? Seems a strange reaction to a bad run of form

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I thought a manager was judged on his results and not where he signed his players from.     What difference does it make where the players he signed came from if they got good results within the budget he was given.   So now he is being harshly compared to a manager who relegated his club when Pulis did not get relegated from the premier league with Stoke.  

Football is really becoming mad with fashions and fads and all sorts. At the end of the day his record at Stoke stands up to scrutiny.  

Of course, you need to judge a manager on results and the standard of football that is played, but for a manager to not be signing players from abroad, in particular in an era when you are charged a premium for signing English players (owing to player development regulations), it is at the very least a waste of resources to be spending money on English players only and not to have a reasonable scouting network, especially when you consider the quality and value that the likes of Pardew, Moyes, Martinez and Laudrup have identified. He has spent a lot of money (more than most of the clubs around him) and doesn't have a lot to show for it (albeit five years in the Premier League is quite an achievement for a club of that size).

If you look at the respective amounts spent by Stoke (circa £80m) and Wigan (£50 to £60m) over the last five seasons, not to mention the amount raised in sales on Wigan's behalf (certainly a lot more than Stoke, thinking of Valencia, Moses, Palacios, Cattermole, N'Zogbia and the fees they attracted), for Stoke to finish only six points above Wigan (regardless of the fact Wigan were relegated), then I think it is a fair comparison and that Wigan come out of the comparison better (albeit of course Martinez was only the manager for the last four seasons, not five). Now, I'm not saying Pulis should have been let go, and maybe the use of the word "abysmal" was a bit harsh (it was clear I was only talking about his international transfer policy) but his record certainly wasn't flawless. I think he could have got better players and played better football within the same budget if only he was prepared to widen his horizons and scouting when it came to player recruitment.

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:09pm
Well they are in talks with Mark Hughes.

Reckon could be a match made in heaven. Unlucky at City and unfairly treated at QPR.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:22pm
Mark Hughes? LOL

It'll be bye bye Stoke next season if that's the case I reckon....

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:54pm
If they have got rid of Pulis for Hughes then they deserve their upcoming relegation. Anyone got odds on next years relegation handy?

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Date Posted: 24 May 2013 at 4:27pm
hughes made some shocking sigings at qpr, after being heavily backed by the board. i'd be worried if i were a stoke city fan

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2013 at 4:51pm
I will be seriously p*ssed off if Mark Hughes is given the job cannot stand the man

-------------
COYBIG

Posted By: Vaux
Date Posted: 28 May 2013 at 12:22pm

I will be seriously p*ssed off if Mark Hughes is given the job cannot stand the man

They must be mad giving the job to sparky. Confused

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 9:51am
Hughes to be confirmed today

Richard keys thinks its a great appointment Embarrassed

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:28am
I wouldn't give him a penny to spend. They'd be better off getting a director of football for signings. 

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:45am
Mark Hughes? Are they fcuking joking?

It'll be a long season for them next year

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 10:46am
Somewhere in London, Alan curbishley is getting deja vu

-------------

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:52am
As a man city fan I can only commiserate with stoke city fans......a awful manager.

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:54am
stoke for relegation next year must be the bet

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

stoke for relegation next year must be the bet
and about 15 of their squad will be strikers

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:17pm

Hope that the Stoke fans who were happy with Pulls leaving are equally as happy now.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Hope that the Stoke fans who were happy with Pulls leaving are equally as happy now.

This you should be careful of what you wish for. Embarrassed

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:18pm

His recent managerial record at QPR was terrible and he was often very critical of Pulis' teams, so he'll really have to hit the ground running to win over many Stoke fans. It's a strange choice, but Coates must have been won over by something.
He was caught in the headlights at Man City, but overall his record as a manager is decent enough.

He will likely have Stoke playing a slightly more easier on the eye style, so some fans will be happy, even if they're losing.

I'll reserve judgement 'till we see how next season unfolds.

Posted By: wessi
Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:24pm
see you later glen whelan , theres a positive for stoke fans already .

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:58pm
Terrible appointment in my view because even if he does well he will f**k off pretty quickly too. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:35am
Sparky 8/1 to be 1st manager to be sacked next season..or should I put this in the tips thread??Tongue

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 1:35am
Seems Sparky's looking for a new left back which i guess means that either Marc Wilson isnt in his plans or he intends to use him in the Center midfield? (his actual position before joining us)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-transfer-news-dutch-international-1926497" rel="nofollow - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-transfer-news-dutch-international-1926497

-------------
COYBIG

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 12:04pm
Hughes has released 7 today including Delap,Whitehead and Pennant.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 12:10pm
Kenwynne Jones off to Swansea ?

-------------

Posted By: SligoLad_95
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 12:52pm
Read on sky sports earlier that stoke have confirmed their interest in Dutch international Erik Peiters, is this bad news for our Marc Wilson who plays the same position or is it good for him to have some real competition for the left back spot ?

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 12:58pm
Lee Cattermole getting linked to Stoke now.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by SligoLad_95 SligoLad_95 wrote:

Read on sky sports earlier that stoke have confirmed their interest in Dutch international Erik Peiters, is this bad news for our Marc Wilson who plays the same position or is it good for him to have some real competition for the left back spot ?

The general consensus amongst the fans is that Wilson will be used as a central midfielder this season.

-------------
COYBIG

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 11:39pm
"STOKE CITY have today secured their first major signing for the 2013-14 season by capturing Dutch international defender Erik Pieters.

The 24-year-old left back has put pen-to-paper on a four year contract to seal his move from PSV Eindhoven for 3.6 million euros.

Pieters, who has won 17 international caps for Holland, completed the transfer to the Britannia Stadium after travelling to the Potteries for talks and a medical, thus strengthening new manager Mark Hughes"

Looks like Marc Wilson will be used in Center Midfield next season

-------------
COYBIG

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 1:24am
Center half if rumours from the club are true

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 3:51am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Center half if rumours from the club are true

Pieters or Wilson? Interesting though. Bar Duffy and Clark, obvious replacements to our CBs in Short term are poor standard. Not saying that either of those are good enough for int football just yet but they are prospects. When O Shea retires we will be struggling for CBs....

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 8:23pm
http://http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/article/muniesa-891256.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/article/muniesa-891256.aspx

Came out of no where this one

-------------
COYBIG

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 12:12pm
Stoke have offered FREE travel to all away games for their supporters this season.

Fair play to them. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Vaux Vaux wrote:

Stoke have offered FREE travel to all away games for their supporters this season.

Fair play to them. Thumbs Up

Fair play to stoke, a club doing something for their loyal fanbase. All that extra tv money slushing about and most clubs just seeing short term greed. If clubs don't try and alleviate the cost to fans there will be fewer REAL supporters in future at EPL level

Stoke

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 10:53am
Big game for Stoke  today, relegation 6 pointer,Marc Wilson is a doubt.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 8:52am
Ozil like assist for Peter Crouch for Stokes 2nd Big smile

-------------

Posted By: ftm
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 7:23am
For BSM & co stay away from the pubs near the ground town centre ones are friendlier.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 7:49am
Originally posted by ftm ftm wrote:

For BSM & co stay away from the pubs near the ground town centre ones are friendlier.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 2:15pm
Begovic,Shawcross,Adam,Whelan ,Wilson,Walters
Top top lads,came over to our kids after game to sign autographs
Knew we were Irish and went out of there way for kids
**** S Ireland was asked but wouldn't come over
Whelo gave us his jersey and signed it
Walters gave us his warm up top
Even when we were ushered out by stewards,Walters called us back and asked stewards to allow us stay
Top top bloke

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 2:20pm

Begovic,Shawcross,Adam,Whelan ,Wilson,Walters
Top top lads,came over to our kids after game to sign autographs
Knew we were Irish and went out of there way for kids
**** S Ireland was asked but wouldn't come over
Whelo gave us his jersey and signed it
Walters gave us his warm up top
Even when we were ushered out by stewards,Walters called us back and asked stewards to allow us stay
Top top bloke

Why am I not surprised about the player that didn't come over

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 2:26pm
Yes there are Irish teams in that section every home game
He NEVER goes over to them
Great little stadium ,shocking match tho

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 3:55pm
Did you get in the White Star pub in Stoke town centre BSM?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Did you get in the White Star pub in Stoke town centre BSM?
No didn't get a chance,coached brought is straight to stadium
Decent pint of Carlsberg inside

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:44am
Ah well as long as you fellas enjoyed yer trip if you ever fancy a championship game you know where I am.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Ah well as long as you fellas enjoyed yer trip if you ever fancy a championship game you know where I am.
sound bud

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2014 at 4:49pm
Good on yous 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 5:37am

Thumbs Up

Stoke City have agreed to pay the travel bill for fans who use the club's official supporters' coaches for all 19 Premier League fixtures next season. http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-Travelling-fans-free-ticket-ride/story-21737716-detail/story.html" rel="nofollow - Stoke Sentinel 

-------------

Posted By: heppies
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 9:12am
I was reading a piece about Stoke in the paper and they have frozen their match tickets for six years and have provided free travel for their supporters for away games for the last two seasons.

Fair play to their owner Peter Coates Clap

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 10:41am
Originally posted by heppies heppies wrote:

I was reading a piece about Stoke in the paper and they have frozen their match tickets for six years and have provided free travel for their supporters for away games for the last two seasons.

Fair play to their owner Peter Coates Clap

Fair play indeed other EPL owners should do the same.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by heppies heppies wrote:

Fair play to their owner <span>Peter Coates Clap</span>
An owner who cares about the fans? A rarity in modern foot all.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 5:49am

Stoke City have told Ryan Shawcross not to man-mark at set-pieces as they fear the 27-year-old defender is being targeted by referees for his 'grappling'. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2811306/Stoke-defender-Ryan-Shawcross-relieved-man-marking-duties-Sportsmail-s-Hands-Box-campaign-gathers-pace.html" rel="nofollow - (Daily Mail) 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:15pm
Stoke 2 0 up against the amers.

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:16pm
Jon Walters causing the hammers defence plenty of problems

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Trap for Pope
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:47pm
Great assist by JW for the 2Clapnd 

-------------
Living for Away days

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 7:37am

Stoke boss Hughes tells Arsenal's Arsene Wenger: Shove fingers in your ears to block Potter fans' abuse

Frenchman is taking his Gunners back to the Britannia - where the locals have delighted in mocking him as the clubs' rivalry has grown in recent years

Jeer leader: Arsenal manager Wenger can expect stick from the Stoke fans on Saturday

Mark Hughes has warned Arsene Wenger to stick his fingers in his ears if he doesn’t like the stick which awaits http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-predictions-can-everton-4747587" rel="nofollow - at Stoke this weekend .

The Arsenal boss is certain to receive a hostile reception from home fans on Saturday, during what will be the latest instalment of http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsene-wenger-insists-arsenal-wont-4751619" rel="nofollow - a long-running feud between the two teams .

It dates back to the controversial challenge from Ryan Shawcross on Aaron Ramsey in 2010 which left http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/arsenal%20fc" rel="nofollow - the Gunners' Welsh midfielder with a broken leg.

Wenger raised tensions by comparing Stoke, then under manager Tony Pulis, to a RUGBY team and http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/stoke%20city%20fc" rel="nofollow - the Potters ' fans have responded with http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/stoke-fans-planning-massive-impersonation-1279278" rel="nofollow - their now-infamous mocking imitation of the Frenchman protesting officials' decisions.

Hughes said: “It’s part of the game - I get plenty of stick.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 3:38pm
2-0 up Shocked

-------------

Posted By: dundon13
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 3:39pm
Great cross from Walters for the second

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net