Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=2294
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite Irish memory
Posted By: Honey Monster
Subject: Favourite Irish memory
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 10:40am
Unfortunately, and it hurts, i was too young to properly remember and appreciate Euro 88, Italia 90 and USA 94 so my fondest memories of the boys in green havent been as dramatic and historic as the older generation.

Been on some terrific away trips and certainly Paris was probably still the best few days of my life - will never ever forget 25000 paddies singing THEIR national anthem Big%20smile

I'm gonna go for Robbie Keane's equaliser against ze Germans in WC 2002 - dont think I've ever gone so nuts about a goal in my life....what a feeling

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Justice Shark
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 10:45am
Behind the Goal in Suwon when Robbie Keane equalised in the last minute to force exta time against the spanairds was probably my highlight

-------------
Mickey Mouse Ya Bleedin' Bollox

Posted By: GreenTribe
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 10:55am

i remember i almost got fired from a crappy summer job when i watched that game v germany when keane scored, i put my phone on break and fecked off to the big screen at the top of the room to watch the football. My arsey boss came up and told me to get back to work (this was in glasgow) I told him "Look, if Scotland were in the world cup,in such an important game, yous wouls all be parked round the TV too, so i'm staying put"

Thankfully he was a football fan and understood so he let me beClap
For me it was prob ray houghton's goal v Italy in US 94.....pure heaven winning that game. Our house was going mental that night

-------------
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Posted By: tirchonaill
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 11:09am
Def being behind the goals when keane scored against the germans  at WC2002.. even the japs stayed behind in the ground taking loads of photos of us..

Irish team taking to the pitch for warm up  before Cameroon game, they looked shellshocked when they seen the amount of support was there.

Def the french national anthem in Paris was something to remember..

Posted By: ernesto guevara
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 11:12am
As also I was to young for the great nites in Stuttgart,Genoa and New York id be stuck between 3 games.......

Anfield Charltons last game against the Dutch,The KOP full of Paddys,Pure emotion,very memorable.
Iran... to witness your country qualify for the world cup is something to behold even if there was just about 300 Irish fans in a sold out 120 thousand seater stadium
Ibaraki..... Robbies goal that nite literally sent me to heaven and back.

-------------
If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 11:13am
didnt make it to japan , but robbies goal against the germans was savage alright

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: stiofain
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 11:47am

Like others on here, i wasnt old enough to appreciate the first three tournments we played in. Robbie's goal against Germany in 2002 is by far my greatest memory supporting Ireland, which just beats McAteer's goal against Holland during the qualifiers.

Only started properly going to the games in the last campagne. Funny enough, my favourte Ireland away trip was the friendly against Denmark. Fantastic couple of days and a great perfromance/result.

-------------
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"

Posted By: Donal Cullen
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:16pm
Unfortunately too old to remember much!

First game against Cyprus in 1980 and a terrific Tony Grealish goal.
A brilliant game against Hungary in 1989 and later against Norn Iron.
Alan McLoughlin's goal in Norn Iron that got us to USA 1994.
Sheedy's equaliser against England in 1990.
Casco's equaliser against England a year later.
The Garda after the abandoned game against England in 1995.
The list goes on.

Robbie Keane's equaliser against Germany was a brilliant moment....except I almost killed my kid who was only a couple of months old at the time. I was leaping around the basement and almost landed on her twice. She still hasn't forgiven me....and the wife won't speak to me (a plus I suppose).

Best game I ever went to was 1981 Ireland 3 - 2 France. A brilliant game and the VCR's were only coming in at the time and must have watched the entire game several times in the window of the TV place in Malbrough Street.

-------------
There are friendlier places to drink.

Posted By: Percy
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:50pm
plenty of memories
in no particular order...some good ....some bad..

1. Kelly scoring against the brits followed by half of the west stand seating ending up on the pitch

2. Paris... anthem singing, toilets that were literally a hole in the ground, gobsh*tes falling around the stadium drunk on non alcoholic beer, train station in brussels

3. Schlossplatz.... footballs, blokes stroking bikes to go on beer runs, orange and slice of cheese brekkies, tankers of beer

4. Going to club sarahs for every USA 94 game, destroying about 10 blokes with bulmers when houghton scored against Italy

5. Bootin down the canal to Smiths before Lansdowne games...bring it back

6. Wales 2007... Count and Gerks check in fiasco at Dublin airport resulting in the lugging of those poxy boxes for miles

7. In a Dutch bar in the canaries for Ireland Holland game.

8. wearing ireland bermuda shorts to the top tier of the east stand in middle of November...forget what game it was... too numb to remember

9. singing "youre never goin to beat us" in the Charlton days in Lansdowne

10. Holidays in spain in 1988....me wearing a T shirt with a photo of houghton scoring the winner in stuttgart and gettin hateful looks of the 3 lion brigade

-------------
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 2:18pm
Number One - Razor header against the Brits

Posted By: theworm2345
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 3:47pm
Jesus I seem pathetic.  Our matches in WC 2002 were all so early in the morning here (I believe most around 5:30 in the morning, thats early when you're 12) and I wasn't that big of a fan then, so I barely remember any of them (couldn't tell you if I watched them, I'm sure I was asleep half of the time watching most of the games).  I feel like I remember watching them but that may be only because I've seen the replays so many times.  The only one I vividly remember is the Spain game, which must have been on Tape Delay and we watched at our grandparents house.  While I followed the team online the next few years, I don't think I watched another match until the 0-0 draw with France in WC 2006 qualifying.  Since nothing really good has happened in between, I'd have to say Spain in the World Cup is my greatest memory, even if it is bittersweet.  Cry

Maybe a week and half ago when I saw David Connolly's name in the squad too Wink

-------------
http://www.globalsportsarchive.com/competitions/soccer/" rel="nofollow - League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI

Posted By: stiofain
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 3:54pm
worm, for your sake i'd love to see Connolly score a vital goal for us sometime in the near future. You'd be owed many apologies on foot.ie then...

-------------
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 5:23pm
Obviously I too would love that but at this point I would be ecstatic to see anyone score a goal that actually mattered for us

-------------
http://www.globalsportsarchive.com/competitions/soccer/" rel="nofollow - League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI

Posted By: Tuff Paddy
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 2:34am
I'd like an apology from that t**ser who runs foot.ie :0)

-------------
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Tuff Paddy Tuff Paddy wrote:

I'd like an apology from that t**ser who runs foot.ie :0)

David Connolly scoring for Ireland is a better option, TP.

-------------

Posted By: ryaner13
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 5:21pm

Trigger's magic winner at Lansdowne !!!

-------------
Liverpool F.C go deo..

Posted By: Madpadmcmad
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 1:04am
Being allowed in bars in Cagliari in 1990 while the Ingerlish were being thrown out. Great craic !

Boozing with American-Italians in Italian bars in New York was brilliant.

And don't believe you can't get a beer in Teheran. You can.

I like the odd cider !!!

-------------
Pog mo thion !

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 3:20am
Behind the goal in Stuttgart 88, I can still see it now, Heaven
Sheedy's equaliser in Cagliari after getting p*ssed on by a savage storm and me glasses going flying when he scored, F*ck knows how I found them again.
McGrath's display v Italy in Giants Stadium, peerless
Quinner's equaliser in Wembley in 1991, sublime
Worst moment:  The Lansdowne Riot

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 3:47am
mcAteers goal against the Dutch in Lansdowne was amazing but i have 2 say robbie's equaliser against ze Germans was my highlight..

my grandad was buried that morning and i was in the pub with my family watchin the game after the funeral..when robbie's goal went in me and my dad went absolutely crazy..then when we calmed down somebody came over to us and said..'if we took a picture of u 2 and told u that this is what ur reaction was on the day grandad was buried would u believe us?'

we sat back down..

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 3:58am
I'm sure Grandad was celebrating with yiz Gaz

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 4:20am
I would have loved to have seen Ben's face when he realised that he was at a funeral Gazsh - say it was priceless! FW is right though, your granda would have been chuffed

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 4:25am
I was doing fcekin Leaving Cert history when Robbie scored. All i could hear was one of the exam attendants screaming his head off in the corridoor with his little radio.. I remember asking the exam supervisor to find out who scored..

Needless to say i did fairly sh*t in that exam altogether but it was worth it

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 5:06am
yeah it was just one of those moments that ill never forget..me and my dad embracing in the pub..screaming our heads off..the rest of the family were reletively quiet..amazing feeling when the ball hit the back of the net..we all knew then that a result against the saudies would get us through..great feeling..

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:10am

I think it is this guy's favorite too

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:58am
Greatest match i was ever at was Ireland - Holland in 2001 when McAteer scored and we held them out. Ken Doherty was in front of me and everyone was hugging and we stayed back in the stadium after the game for a little party.

I was to young for Euro 88 and Italia 90 (although I remember my family celebrating by getting out on the garage roof and everyone running around the roads celebrating).

USA 94 I was only 9 but I remember it well. Firstly McLoughlan's equaliser in the North and the run out on the streets that followed. Then at the World Cup I think beating Italy on the World stage was probably our biggest ever achievement. Again the match was followed by a crazy run out onto the streets. People going absolutely crazy.

2002 World Cup, Keane's two late goals against Germany and Spain respectively. Not sure which one I loved more. Probably Spain but we ended up losing in the end so their was disapointed whereas the Germany game we had a party in my friends and had a great night (shagged two birds)

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:59am
I will always remember that old man in the crowd crying with joy after Keane scored the penalty against Spain

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:20am
I remember drawing with Holland in Rotterdam in 1981 and getting a video of the game years ago. My brother was at the match and still refers to it as the time "when we thought we were great". One of the worst memories of that time was the game in Belgium when we lost to a late goal after having a goal  by Frankie disallowed. The award of the free kick and the subsequent scramble that led to the goal still annoys me as does Gerry Armstrong's goal for Norn Iron in 1979.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:12am

Thanks Donal, sorry, yiz can scrub the Lansdowne Riot as my worst memory, that game in Brussells in 1981 was scandalous and cost Eoin Hand a place in the 1982 WC in Spain.  Fckn bastard Portuguese ref, Nazare his name was, disallowed a perfectly good goal by Stapo as Donal says.  Brady swung in a free and Stapo did great to get ahead of his marker to score, then the fookin linesman cnut put his flag up for no good reason cos Stapo wasn't near offside and the ref decided to disallow it.  Fookin OUTRAGEOUS.  Then late in the game, Gerets dived outside our box, they got a free that hit the bar, bounced up and Jan Ceulemans headed home from close in despite a rake of bodies in the goalmouth and Kevin Moran nearly stopping it going in.  That was the sickest and angriest I was ever in my football life following Ireland (I was only 15 then) and as yiz see, I get completely furious now recalling it.   BASTARDS Angry

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:15am
Well lads my favourite memory of the boys in Green is a lot less glamourus... Its the first time i was ever at Landsdown rd (or any stadium for that matter), June 1996, we were playing Croatia in warm up friendly (For them of course not us!) before the Euro's in England that summer. I was only 8 years old n me Dad took me.... I can remember sitting on a barracade in the South Terrace before the match looking down on the pitch... For me at that moment Lansdown was the best stadium in the world..... For the record we drew 2 all. Keith O'Neill and Niall Quinn scored i think.

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:24am
Think my worst Ireland moment was Macadonia scoring from a corner with 6 seconds to go. We would have qualified for Euro 2000 ahead of Yugoslavia and Croatia in first place but for that moment

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:28am
Yeah that's another terrible moment Andy, so near but yet so far, Keith O'Neill got dogs didn't he for not marking his man........?   Kieft's goal in Euro 88 to knock us out was poxy as well, another thread maybe........10 worst Irish moments.......

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:45am
Was too young to remember his goal in 88 but we would have knocked out Holland if he had not of scored wouldn't we?

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 11:06am

That's right Andy, the Dutch had lost to USSR in their first game and had beaten England.  We'd beaten England and drawn with Soviets so a draw woulda put us through alright.  How fine the margins are between success and failure.........

-------------

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 12:54pm
Agame we should have lost but won(England, a game we should have won but drew(USSR) a game we should have drawn but lost(Holland) !!

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Posted By: ernesto guevara
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Think my worst Ireland moment was Macadonia scoring from a corner with 6 seconds to go. We would have qualified for Euro 2000 ahead of Yugoslavia and Croatia in first place but for that moment

Davor Suker's injury time goal in the same campaign in Zagreb was a horrible kick to the gut,we had held them out and were well on the way to Qualifying and that dreded chant "Youll never beat the Irish" was in full flow then BANG, never forget it,what a sickner,ill always hate that chant now

-------------
If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 5:02pm
That above game in Zagreb was one of McCarthy's major fck ups.  We were after beating Yugoslavia the previous Wed in Lansdowne and he dropped Robbie and went 4-5-1 with Cascarino up front on his own, it was a miracle we only lost 1-0 and we were lucky to get nil.......from beating Yugoslavia to a pre-match surrender in Zagreb, dreadful Mick, absolutely rubbish.

-------------

Posted By: billybunter
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 7:04pm
I to was behind the goal in Stuttgart. That is far and away the best memory (aside from tormenting the english with a reminder about what Michael Fagan did to their queen).

The goal (michel's OG) against the Spanish at Landsdowne in '89 was also a magic moment. Fcuk knows we are due a few more moments like that.

C'mon the trappers.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 5:20am
Originally posted by ernesto guevara ernesto guevara wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Davor Suker's injury time goal in the same campaign in Zagreb was a horrible kick to the gut,we had held them out and were well on the way to Qualifying and that dreded chant "Youll never beat the Irish" was in full flow then BANG, never forget it,what a sickner,ill always hate that chant now

On the contary i would love us to get back to the days when we could sing "you'll never beat the Irish"

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 8:17am
Agree with you, billybunter, we need a few more days of "you'll never beat the Irish" .

As for the 10 worst moments, FW, I think the Belgium match must top the list. We are from an era of honourable defeats and celebrating for weeks when we actually won a match. Well maybe I am overstating the case but the post-Charlton era brought us to a place we had only dreamed of in the early '80's.

As for the 10 worst, I would offer
1. 1981 Belgium 1 - 0 Ireland
2. San Marino 1 - 2 Ireland (even if it was a win)
3. Cyprus 5 - 2 Ireland
4. 1957 Ireland 1 - 1 England (I'm not THAT old but to be denied by an injury time goal at Dalynount when a win would have forced a play-off)
5. 1980 France 2 - 0 Ireland (a Michael Robinson goal disallowed for no reason)
6. The injury time goal by the Macedonians and their players taunting the Irish bench soon after
7. A tour of South America in 1982.
8. 1979 Northern Ireland 1 - 0 Ireland
9. The Lansdowne riot which denied us a "proper" win over England (it is still a win though!!)
10. Ger Keano's own goals and Illigimate children

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 8:28am
The Belgium defeat to qualify for the 1998 World Cup was a bit of a sickener as well. We should have taking them but everything went wrong over the 2 legs

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 9:08am
Forgot about that one, Andy. Houghton's goal, Charlton going mad in the commentary box, Belgium scoring again, Connolly's sending off. Horrible.

Best 10 moments in Irish soccer. IMO:

1. 1988 England 0 - 1 Ireland (Houghton)
2. Ireland 1 - 0 Holland
3. Ireland 1 - 0 Italy
4. Keane's last minute goal against Germany
5. Sheedy's and Cascarino's goals against England
6. Whelan's goal against USSR
7. The Italia '90 experience
8. 1980 Ireland 2 - 1 Holland
9. Bonner's penalty save against Timofte
10. Gary Mackay's goal for Scotland against Bulgaria.

These are just off the top of my head, any more?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 9:28am
Hopefully in 2 years time this will be included

Ireland finishing 1st in group to qualify automatically for South Africa

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 9:51am
or even ireland scraping into the world cup in south africa by the skins of their sacks through the playoffs...

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 10:11am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

or even ireland scraping into the world cup in south africa by the skins of their sacks through the playoffs...

Id settle for that. Sure id take a denmark in 92 if i knew it was coming

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: The_Yank
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2008 at 10:55am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

agreed

-------------
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net