Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=22703
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 6:02pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Padraig Amond
Posted By: Propagandhi®
Subject: Padraig Amond
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 4:54pm

Padraig%20Amond%20at%20the%20press%20conference%20after%20signing%20for%20Pacos%20Ferreira

PADRAIG Amond will be a goldmine of knowledge for pub quiz aficionados one day.

You can see it now: “Who are the five Irish players to have played in the Portuguese Premier League?” (Phil Babb, Alan Mahon, Dominic Foley, Mickey Walsh and Padraig); “Who had the highest goal-scoring ratio in Sligo Rovers’ history?” and “Who was the first Carlow hurler and footballer to play against Porto, Benfica and Braga and Sporting Lisbon?”

There’ll be some head scratching at that quiz (unless it’s in Ballinabranna clubhouse).

For Padraig the move to Pacos Ferreira is the culmination of a life’s work. His parents Pat and Patty ferried him up to Dublin every weekend along with his brother John for Shamrock Rovers training sessions since he was 11.

Since then he’s had huge knocks. A cruciate knee ligament tear when he was 20, frozen out of a Rovers side under new management and the daunting trek to Sligo to restart a career.

12 months on and it’s an entirely different picture. 27 league appearances, 2085 minutes of action (thanks Pat), 17 league goals, six more in the cup and just two away from a 70-year club record what happened next was the first predictable thing in his career – the big boys came hunting his signature.

Derby manager Nigel Clough, son of the legendary Brian, was in the stands one night. Several other English clubs followed suite but when he scored two against Shamrock Rovers in front of the Pacos Ferreira representatives he was only going to one club. “It’s a lifetime in the making this move,” he said.

“To be able to share the pitch with the likes of Porto, Sporting Lisbon, Benfica and Braga who already beat Celtic and beat Sevilla last week. It’s a dream come true.

“It’s probably a bigger thing for my family because my Mam and Dad have put a lot in taking me up and down to Dublin for ten or 11 years and this is more for them than anyone else. Hopefully I can do myself justice out here and if that means I’m out here for longer than three years I’ll be happy with that.”

Making his debut last Friday night in a friendly (he can’t remember who was against), he received a huge ovation from the crowd.

“After training out here I’ve done a few press conferences so far. I think they think they’re after signing a superstar so they’ll be in for big shock when they see me on the pitch,” he laughed.

But on a serious note he realises this is another crossing point in his life. Do well and there’s more rewards to follow, fail and he’s back to Ireland.

“I’ll do the best I can do for Padraig Amond because at the end of the day it’s my career and it’s not a long one so you have to make as much money as you can. It sounds selfish but that’s the way football is. You have to work really hard when you have the chance, before you know it it’s gone.”

Living out of a hotel until the club finds a suitable apartment he is adjusting to the language and the weather. His future is in his hands and goals will open doors for him, a door to Giovanni Trapattoni’s team will be his ultimate goal.

“One of the things I looked at when I moved to Sligo was that I needed to be able to move away from home. If I couldn’t move away to Sligo I’d never manage anywhere else,” he said.

“This opportunity came at a time which didn’t suit Sligo Rovers but it was an opportunity I couldn’t turn down. I didn’t want to turn around in five years and say I wish I went to Portugal.

“It was a decision I knew in the bottom of my heart would be a good one. I’ve scored goals wherever I went and although I’d have liked to finish the season with Sligo with the cup final, a quarter-final and pushing for Europe in the league, it was not my fault the way the leagues go differently and obviously it’s going well when a Premier Portuguese club came in for me.

“There was interest from a few different places but there were people coming over every couple of weeks but when you’ve a concrete offer on the table, the only concrete offer, you have to look at it. I could have waited until the end of the season and a good few English clubs would have been in after me but realistically would I have been going to the Premiership?

“Probably not so a move to the Portuguese Premier league was too good to turn down rather than League 1 or League 2.

“There’s a lot of strikers here (seven) and I don’t see myself starting in the first game but obviously they have faith in me because they don’t buy players normally they try to sign players on loan from bigger clubs or get them for free so it was rare to spend money and it shows they want me.

“Whether that means I go straight into the first team squad who knows. I’ll give it my all and see where it takes me. This could be a massive stepping stone to Irish teams and Premier League who knows.”

With the foundation of a strong family and good friends backing him though he knows his best is all he can give. And that’s all he’s hoping to give.

“Everyone’s ambition is to be the best at what they do,” he said. “I’m never going to be a Cristiano Ronaldo and I know that but the hard work pays off. There are probably more players talented than me but dedication and being in the right place at the right time got me scoring goals and get further than others. Everyone wants to be the best.

“If this is the best I do then so be it, if I get to play for Ireland that’d be fantastic. It’s a dream but sometimes dreams come true. You just have to wait and see what happened.

“Hopefully this will be the start of things and I can keep my head down because I haven’t made it yet. I’ve to get out there and start scoring goals for myself and my family.”

Knowing his drive, he’s sure to give it his best and knowing Pat and Patty that’ll be good enough. Knowing John, Aaron, Jason and Dale though, he better score 50 this season!

-------------
"I Shall Not Be Provoked." Propagandhi, 2010

Replies:
Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 4:58pm
Sounds like he has his head screwed on and great to see more and more lads testing themselves in other leagues.

Best of luck Padraig Thumbs%20Up

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

.”Making his debut last Friday night in a friendly (he can’t remember who was against), he received a huge ovation from the crowd.

Wtf like?

Hope it works out for him but he has 6 strikers for competition, jaysus that'll be tough!!

-------------

Posted By: Kingdom
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

.”Making his debut last Friday night in a friendly (he can’t remember who was against), he received a huge ovation from the crowd.

Wtf like?

Hope it works out for him but he has 6 strikers for competition, jaysus that'll be tough!!

To be fair to the lad, how many here would of heard of Pacos before? Chances are they were playing some non-league/regional side, so it's not that big of a surprise. Wink

Delighted for him, and it's good to see young lads making the leap into the unknown somewhat rather than praying for the meat market of League1/2. Funny thing is, I reckon a lot of our players would be more suited to playing continental football.

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:48pm
Bit Risky Going Over There in my Opinion

Hope he does well though

Best Of luck PadraigThumbs%20Up

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:50pm
I hope this works out for Padraig better than it did for Ian Daly. If he flops, he risks moving off the radar. Nothing to lose I s'pose.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 6:54am

Introducing Padraig Amond

Pacos de Ferreira bring promising Irish marksman to Portugal

Padraig%20AmondMany eyebrows were raised on transfer deadline day as Pacos de Ferreira completed the signing of a highly reputed Irish striker. So who is Padraig Amond?

Pacos de Ferreira’s new Irish striker is likely to be an unknown quantity to many devotees of the Portuguese game. The very fact that Padraig Amond will now be plying his trade in the Liga ZON Sagres sends one clear message however; he is not your average footballer.

At least, he’s not your average Irish footballer. Players from Ireland, and indeed Britain, have long been notorious for their insular desire to never venture from their own shores, unless for a brief holiday and a chance to confirm the rumours that, in other countries, sunshine isn’t a bicentennial occurrence. 

The now-former Sligo Rovers striker has made a bold and admirable move by setting sail in search of a fresh challenge. He now forms a triumvirate of Irish players who have set out to break the mould this summer. Ireland senior squad members Cillian Sheridan and Aiden McGeady have recently moved to CSKA Sofia and Spartak Moscow respectively. It’s an encouraging trend which one hopes will continue and develop. 

Goal machine

At present, Amond is the leading goalscorer in the Airtricity League, Ireland’s top tier football league. At roughly the half-way point in the season, the 22-year-old has notched 17 goals for Sligo, an impressive tally considering Rovers’ mid-table position. This was also Amond’s first season at the club, having left title-candidates and last year’s runners-up, Shamrock Rovers, after the 2009 season.

One of the brightest young talents in the league, Amond is a natural goalscorer who made his debut in the league aged just 18, in 2006. His reputation as a top marksman grew as he managed 11 senior goals for Shamrock Rovers, including a crucial goal against fierce rivals, Bohemians, to send his side top of the table. 

Pacos fans can expect a talented, hungry striker who has scored goals everywhere he has been and, at such a tender age, has got massive potential. Amond continues to improve each year and could soon mature into a fine player. Stepping out of his comfort zone by moving abroad also displays a commitment which I expect will manifest itself on the pitch to the delight of Os Pacenses. 

Amond has been capped four times at under-21 level for the Republic of Ireland, the first of which came in 2008.
by Dean Hayes

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:00am
If he wants to impress Trap he should bring his miss's along!

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:21am
delighted for the lad, hope it works out. great to see more players playing in other leagues in europe. btw, where is ian daly at now??

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Posted By: billybob
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:23am
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

delighted for the lad, hope it works out. great to see more players playing in other leagues in europe. btw, where is ian daly at now??

He's in Spain in Cadiz.

Hope it works out for Podge but wouldn't be surprised either to see him back at Rovers within a year or two.

-------------
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:41am
oh ye that's where daly went, they're in like the equivalent of league 2, not a good move for the lad haha

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:50am
what was the signing fee?

Hope he becomes the Portugeses bargain version of Kevin Doyle..

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:09am
I think he will do well!

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 10:16am
On the bench today against Maritimo.

-------------

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 5:45pm
drew 1-1, didn't play at all

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 12:22pm
Amond is on the bench again today.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 12:24pm

He must be going nuts

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He must be going nuts

nah its his bird in nuts

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 1:55pm
Amond has made his debut. He looked decent enough from what I seen. Pacos equalised in the last minute.

-------------

Posted By: MrFantastico
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 1:55pm
made the difference when he came on around the 67th minute mark,always looking for a pass and gave the team the spark to get back into the game from 2-0 down to draw 2-2

-------------
We hate princess diana, we hate elton john too, we hate orange bastards but rovers we love you.    KOH

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 12:28pm
Anyone know how he is getting on?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 10:45am
L.M.L.BUMP

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:06am
in answer to my own question

http://greenscene.me/2010/10/continental-irish-25-october-2010-update/ - http://greenscene.me/2010/10/continental-irish-25-october-2010-update/

-------------

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:10am
Played in two more games in the league when he came on as a late sub, http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/portuguese-superliga/2010-2011/benfica-fc-pacos-de-ferreira-388156.html - according to Eurosport.

Hope he gets a chance in the big game tonight against Benfica, KO 8.45 GMT.

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 3:40pm
PhilliyK has been tracking his progress for Irish Abroad for me: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55195 - http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55195

Posted By: Jokerman
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 11:45am
Amond has been left on the bench with Pacos losing 3-1 to Rio Ave away from home. The manager has opted to bring on Simao and Pizzi despite Amond's goal midweek.

Edit: On in the 87th minute.

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Posted By: JoeyLapira
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 1:44pm
Amond was playing a cup game midweek. No reason to expect him to start in the league.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by JoeyLapira JoeyLapira wrote:

Amond was playing a cup game midweek. No reason to expect him to start in the league.
As they continue their rapid slide down the table, I would expect him to get more opportunities. It's kind of pointless investing in a player and going months without playing him.

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 11:54am
An unused substitute today..

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 12:18pm
As a personal friend of Podge i feel for him not getting game time after moving out there!!! Sligo lost their top goal scorer . bagged €50,000 or whatever it was , Pacos sign a striker who"s as natural a goal scorer as you"ll see around at this level and wont give him a game Thumbs%20Down  Let it be hurling , soccer or gaelic growing up the man is just an animal to score!! Esp with Pacos struggling ya think they"d f**king play him!!!!

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 12:59pm
It looks to me from tracking his progress for Tetsujin1979 that he is 3rd choice striker, stuck behind 2 not so prolific strikers. Fancied Pacos to win today and shuda done them ffs

He has started in a cup game or 2 but dont think of the top of me head thats he started a league game yet though could be wrong.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

It looks to me from tracking his progress for Tetsujin1979 that he is 3rd choice striker, stuck behind 2 not so prolific strikers. Fancied Pacos to win today and shuda done them ffs

He has started in a cup game or 2 but dont think of the top of me head thats he started a league game yet though could be wrong.
Yeah he's still waiting for his first league start which is fine after a couple of weeks but gets worrying after a few months.

-------------

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:06pm

Correct, just the one start in a cup game so far, when he scored: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55195&seasonID=140 - http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55195&seasonID=140

Thanks again for tracking his appearance data for me, I really appreciate it.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Correct, just the one start in a cup game so far, when he scored: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55195&seasonID=140 - http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55195&seasonID=140

Thanks again for tracking his appearance data for me, I really appreciate it.
No probs - gives me some extra insight into the portugese & dutch leagues for all my bets lol not that i've been winning many so far this year

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 3:53pm
An unused substitute today..

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 7:01am

Amond's portugoal

Wild rover finding his feet after swapping Sligo for the sun of Pacos de Ferreira

Saturday December 18 2010

LIKE any home bird, Padraig Amond is giddy about returning to see his family for Christmas. This year's festive journey will be different to any of the others, however.

Twelve months ago, the Carlow lad was pondering the challenge of moving to Sligo after leaving http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Shamrock_Rovers - Shamrock Rovers in search of regular first-team football.

Tomorrow evening, in his last official duty before departing for the homestead, he will be coming up against twice European champions http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/FC_Porto - FC Porto in a Portuguese Premier Division encounter.

"If you'd told me that a year ago, I'd have laughed at you," chuckles Amond, who managed to make his mother happy when he relocated to a part of the world where a winter break is an established part of the calendar. "She was, like, sign quickly, sign quickly," he recalls.

Amond is settling into his new life with Pacos de Ferreira, the club who made a surprise move for the League of http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Ireland - Ireland 's then top scorer in August.

spectacular

A spectacular period of goalscoring with Sligo propelled the affable youngster onto the radar of clubs in the UK and across http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Europe - Europe . The sum total was the opportunity to ply his trade in one of the top leagues on the continent, a road that few Irishmen have travelled.

"I spoke to an Irish international who had the chance to go abroad and turned it down, and he still regrets it," reflects Amond, who pressed ahead with the switch to avoid the feeling of 'what if' even though it came at the price of missing http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/EA_Sports - EA Sports and FAI Cup glory with Sligo.

He watched those games from afar as he immersed himself in a whole new lifestyle, a completely different culture to anything he had experienced before.

It didn't help that the language school in the relatively small town of Pacos de Ferreira are only now available to provide tuition, but with an Australian team-mate and an understanding dressing-room with a reasonable command of English, that side of things has generally been okay.

Instead, the real eye-opener has been the style of play and an approach to the game that contrasts with what the 22-year-old experienced during his education in the League of Ireland.

"We have tactics meetings every second day," Amond told the http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Irish_Independent - Irish Independent . "A lot of these lads would have been at bigger clubs when they were younger and the coaching would have been of really high quality.

"I never really got that. Usually, training was a few ball drills and then games. In terms of tactics, you were never taught. I actually remember when Michael (O'Neill) came to Rovers, I learned a lot off him because he was a striker. Any manager I'd had before was a defender, and he gave me instruction about making runs and stuff.

"But everyone is into it here. You see the goalkeepers taking part in training games and they don't look out of place. They could probably fit anywhere into the team because they're so comfortable on the ball and rarely give it away. I've had to work on my ball retention as one small mistake here can cost a team."

From the outside, it would be easy to surmise that Amond has endured a frustrating spell. He has primarily been deployed as an impact sub, with his only start coming in the League Cup, an occasion he marked with his only goal to date from seven appearances.

However, a recent chat with coach Rui Vitoria put his mind at ease.

"They weren't expecting me to play as much as I had because there's such a massive difference here. It's a case of getting used to the way we play," he reasons.

"He told me that, at the moment, they're looking to the more experienced players, but I will get my chance later in the season. When I do, he expects me to take it and stay in the team."

For a lad who found it difficult living in Dublin when he was at Shamrock Rovers -- such was his desire to get back to Carlow whenever possible -- he is actually coping quite well being so far away.

"I probably was expecting to be a lot more homesick," he admits. "I am missing home, that's just natural. I'm a real family person. But things have been going well, sometimes we do double sessions and there's something to do every day. It's not that you are sitting around doing nothing."

Nevertheless, Amond is keen to keep in touch with events at home. He's recently joined the growing number of footballers on Twitter, offering a variety of opinions in addition to keeping up with developments on the 'old sod.'

The addictive computer game ' http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Football - Football Manager' is another vice, although it has taken on a surreal twist as he locks horns on the pitch with those he knew only from virtual reality.

"When we played http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Benfica - Benfica , it was a real 'Football Manager' moment," he laughs. "I came on for the last 10 to 15 minutes and I was playing against the likes of http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Pablo_Aimar - Pablo Aimar and Javier Saviola. They're probably players that everyone has signed in 'Football Manager.' It was a great moment, probably a bit scary in a way."

http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Pablo_Aimar - Aimar , the brilliant Argentinian playmaker, duly produced a goal that most could only dream about, waltzing past a plethora of Pacos opponents before dispatching with aplomb.

Tomorrow evening, Amond is hoping to encounter David Luiz, Porto's Brazilian-born defender who is a rumoured £20m target for Manchester City and Chelsea.

"You sort of pinch yourself, " he says. "Look, whatever happens, I'm just happy I have come out here and experienced this.

"Obviously you want to play at the highest level you can, and if this is the highest level I'll ever play at, then I've done my best.

"But if it's not, then you never know what could happen next."

Irish Independent

-------------

Posted By: Tweetering
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:14am
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0609/ammondp_av.html

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 10:14am
Looks like he has gone on trial at Sheffield Wednesday - He didn't tell us that on Twitter !

Posted By: el2nz
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 10:22am
Just noticed that on RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0720/amondp_sheffieldwednesday.html - http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0720/amondp_sheffieldwednesday.html

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 10:24am
Originally posted by el2nz el2nz wrote:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0720/amondp_sheffieldwednesday.html - http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0720/amondp_sheffieldwednesday.html

missed that myself, gas he came on for morrison in the match, fingers crossed it works out for him.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 11:32am
Anyone that wants me to ask him any questions or whatever , give me a shout....

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Ask him what the feck he's doing wanting to join that lot(swfc) LOL 

Seriously though find out is it not in his interest's to stay at Pacos for 1 more year as he was stuck behind a few players who were only on loan at the club last year and has he been told he wont be getting a look in this year?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 11:54am

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Ask him what the feck he's doing wanting to join that lot(swfc) LOL 

Seriously though find out is it not in his interest's to stay at Pacos for 1 more year as he was stuck behind a few players who were only on loan at the club last year and has he been told he wont be getting a look in this year?

Are you implying thats theres only one real team in Sheffield LOL ???

Well the Pacos move caught us all by surprise tbh , he settled in well enough anyway but i suppose his lack of game time couldnt have been easy!! I know for a fact he will jump at a move to England/Scotland if he gets a chance...

He scored in their last game before he went over to Sheffield i know that...Yeah i'll try sort out a few questions for him , the man is always on facebook and twitter LOL

-------------

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by el2nz el2nz wrote:

missed that myself, gas he came on for morrison in the match, fingers crossed it works out for him.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 4:10am
Megson was impressed with him in a trial game so hopefully they might take a punt on him, he's a decent player.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 10:54am
Staying on for an extra week's trial after playing in todays draw with Leeds

http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=248225 - http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=248225

Danny Wilson should nip in and sign him while he's in the city lol

-------------

Posted By: Sloop John G
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:16pm

Trialist Amond to extend Owls stay

Wednesday manager Gary Megson has revealed that he'll keep trialist Padraig Amond at the club for an extra week.

The Irish striker was due to return to Portugal, where he's been playing his football, tomorrow morning but Megson will keep the 23-year-old at S6 for another week as he weighs up whether to sign him permanently or not.

The former Shamrock Rovers man arrived in Sheffield on Tuesday and was thrown straight into the squad that took on Rotherham United in a friendly later the same day.

He started the next match against Stocksbridge Park Steels the following day and also started in today's 1-1 draw against Leeds United at Hillsborough.

Megson revealed the news straight after the clash with Simon Grayson's men on BBC Radio Sheffield but admitted that he's only ever taken one trialist on a permanent basis ad that it was a mistake.

Megson didn't name the player or the club but revealed that he'd only signed on at the club to get his girlfriend into the country to go to university.

Read more: http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=248225#ixzz1TALPbPrX - http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=248225#ixzz1TALPbPrX

Posted By: Sloop John G
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 5:23am
http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=248564 - http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=248564

Megson says no to Amond deal.

Posted By: nice triangles
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 11:02am
I have to say I was very disappointed to hear this news today. Amond has moved from the Portuguese top flight to League Two because Portugal was 'very far from home'...'no one else spoke English'
Sadly I fear this could be the last we hear of Padraig. It's a real pity he couldn't tough it out in Portugal. The club seemed to want him, so at least give it another season or two.

Posted By: garytwigg21
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 11:23am
Gone on loan to Accrington Stanley. Isn't homesick in Portugal, just wasn't happy not playing over there and picking up his wages, just wants to play and score goals.

-------------
This time next year........

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 11:26am
He is homesick, says as much himself in video below;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8627SXT2Bw&feature=youtu.be - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8627SXT2Bw&feature=youtu.be

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 3:11pm
tough on him, wish he got more of a chance at pacos. hopefully he does well at stanley and gets to a bigger club

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 9:46pm
PA got a 95th minute equaliser for Grimsby tonight his fifth goal of the season.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

PA got a 95th minute equaliser for Grimsby tonight his fifth goal of the season.

The crowd must have gone nuts

-------------

Posted By: 085immersive
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 3:16pm
It was a cracker of a shot.

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 4:34pm
Midtable conference is about the lads level

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 6:01pm
Harsh, he's definitely a decent League 2 standard player, I may have said it before but he's basically a lower leagues Shane Long IMO.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 6:19pm
Nut puns or GTFO

-------------

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 6:58pm
He has come out of his shell since he moved there

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 7:16pm
I dunno what he earns at his club but I reckon its peanuts

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 7:18pm
He was giving a right roasting by the manager at the start of the season

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 8:35pm
He was asSALTED one night in town when a man pulled out a knife and demanded his walnut.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:23pm
Rumor has it he was caught pecan at lads in the showers

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:27pm
O'Neill might get him on board for the Macademia cruch match in the WC qualifiers. That could be a tough nut to crack.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:33pm
When asked to do a bit more on his defensive work from frees he said "you want me in the wall are ye nuts"

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:30am
Could have all worked out so differently for this player....a few years a ago he had his big chance in the Portuguese top flight but gave up on it because he was home sick...Portugal is 'very far from home' ...and no one spoke English...apparently. Pity he didn't tough it out for a few more years, surely his lot would be better than playing non league football in England at this stage of his career.  
Since that in fact his old club, Pacos, have gone from strength to strength...finished 3rd in Portugal last year and have played in Europe.
One also wonders if being homesick would have been an acceptable reason to give up a job in any other profession for someone in their early 20's? ....if no one speaks English how about enroll in Portuguese classes?....
Maybe I'm being harsh but just a thought.

Posted By: Bohsfan84
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:45am
Most foreign footballers leave school with fluency in three languages. Some can speak five or six. They are obliged to learn a new language when they come to a foreign country.

Irish players are so indulged that they won't consider doing this and would rather toil in the 2nd or 3rd tier of English football as a result.

Most Irish footballers only want to spend their summer holidays abroad and that's it. Their primary concern isn't arts, culture or new surroundings; instead, it's how many pubs are there?

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:16pm
Yeah its a pity they don't seem to want to broaden their horizons, being indulged is a fair point too - if you are good from an early age this carry on begins before they are teenagers too. 
If someone from any other walk of life (Mechanic, Accountant, IT, Carpenter etc) secured a job in Portugal and gave it up after a year or two because of the distance to Portugal and the fact that everyone spoke Portuguese!....people would think honestly think there is something wrong with them.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Bohsfan84 Bohsfan84 wrote:

Most foreign footballers leave school with fluency in three languages. Some can speak five or six. They are obliged to learn a new language when they come to a foreign country.

Irish players are so indulged that they won't consider doing this and would rather toil in the 2nd or 3rd tier of English football as a result.

Most Irish footballers only want to spend their summer holidays abroad and that's it. Their primary concern isn't arts, culture or new surroundings; instead, it's how many pubs are there?

True, they are still stuck in a 1970s and 1980s mindset. You only have to look around Europe and see the number of players moving around the Continent with ease and not a bother to them.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:13pm
Don't think his failure in Portugal had much to do with homesickness or an unwillingness to integrate, the main factor was that he just wasn't good enough.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Don't think his failure in Portugal had much to do with homesickness or an unwillingness to integrate, the main factor was that he just wasn't good enough.
That may be some of the truth but the homesick line was one he put out himself. 
He jacked the whole thing in and left Portugal without a club. Not being good enough could be at the root of it but if that was the main reason Pacos would have just sold him on. Also he could have only improved if he stuck it out in Portugal, which he could have as the club seemed happy enough to keep him.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 2:13pm
We should think of the Portuguest league as a good opportunity for Irish players. Most teams are not particularly flush with cash, so they are willing to search for players in new markets. Young lads from LOI would definitely benefit from the technical standard.

I met a guy through work over here who was telling me that his brother-in-law (or something like that) is an English fella who played college level in the U.S. but has ended up playing in Portugal. I found him with a quick Google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Jones_%28footballer,_born_1986%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Jones_(footballer,_born_1986)

If players of that standard can build a good career in Portugal, there is no reason why more of our players shouldn't be looking at it as an option. It's a step above the North America, Scandanavian, S.E. Asian leagues that seem to be most attractive to many out of contract LOI players.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

We should think of the Portuguest league as a good opportunity for Irish players. Most teams are not particularly flush with cash, so they are willing to search for players in new markets. Young lads from LOI would definitely benefit from the technical standard.

I met a guy through work over here who was telling me that his brother-in-law (or something like that) is an English fella who played college level in the U.S. but has ended up playing in Portugal. I found him with a quick Google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Jones_%28footballer,_born_1986%29" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Jones_(footballer,_born_1986)

If players of that standard can build a good career in Portugal, there is no reason why more of our players shouldn't be looking at it as an option. It's a step above the North America, Scandanavian, S.E. Asian leagues that seem to be most attractive to many out of contract LOI players.
Yep, agree with you. Good example too. Requires players to broaden the horizons though.

Posted By: 085immersive
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:55pm
Pecan go all the way to the top was  my opinion. Alas, homesickness is a serious issue. Moving abroad to play football is great but you need to know the nuts and bolts of living abroad when it comes down to it. Hope he gave it a fair crack of the whip.

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 085immersive 085immersive wrote:

Pecan go all the way to the top was  my opinion. Alas, homesickness is a serious issue. Moving abroad to play football is great but you need to know the nuts and bolts of living abroad when it comes down to it. Hope he gave it a fair crack of the whip.
He was 24 when he left I think, not 14, ......homesick???. 
A 24 year old living in Portugal getting paid to play football....how is it possible to get homesick?
Do footballers have such poorly developed social skills that they are completely incapable of integrating into a different society?
This is my whole point ...in any of other walk of life it would be regarded as a crazy decision to leave but not professional football. 
By the way I did notice the nut joke! Big smile

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 4:16pm
Hasn't had a bad life lads, a winner
v Bohs in Tallaght and used to bone that ex-Page 3 Irish wan Tully who suddenly shunned the glamour model life. Stupid bitch. FFS. Podge was then on his toblerone

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by nice triangles nice triangles wrote:

That may be some of the truth but the homesick line was one he put out himself. 
He jacked the whole thing in and left Portugal without a club. Not being good enough could be at the root of it but if that was the main reason Pacos would have just sold him on. Also he could have only improved if he stuck it out in Portugal, which he could have as the club seemed happy enough to keep him.

Well of course he did, saying he was homesick sounds an awful lot better than admitting he just wasn't up to the required standard. He didn't make a single start in the Portuguese League over the course of two seasons, that isn't down to "a lack of social skills" or an insular cultural outlook, it's simply that he wasn't good enough to play at that level.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 5:05pm
Perhaps he longed for Grimsby

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 9:15am
His missus has a whopper job in the area and he doesn't wanna be to far away from her apparently

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 4:17pm
Padraig is a good friend of mine and has been since we were kids (ex team mates and both of us are from Carlow) in regard to his time in Portugal, there was one team mate an Australian guy who spoke English so of course it wasn't easy for him to fully settle?

His girlfriend has a good job in England, true but she was living in Canada for a year or so and Padraig was based in England and their relationship continued as normal so I highly doubt it would change anything if he made the move to Scotland or the South of England tbh.

-------------

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 10:55pm
Meet Grimsby Town striker Padraig Amond, the most lethal striker in England... he's more prolific than Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3401453/Meet-Grimsby-Town-striker-Padraig-Amond-not-lethal-striker-England-s-better-Lionel-Messi-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Neymar.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3401453/Meet-Grimsby-Town-striker-Padraig-Amond-not-lethal-striker-England-s-better-Lionel-Messi-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Neymar.html

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:16am
Padraig got another two goals for Grimsby Town last night.
Clap

-------------

Posted By: havelock squared
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 11:02am
http://www.the42.ie/padraig-amond-grimsby-2704894-Apr2016/

Article on Amond from the 42. He's really found his feet this season and is banging in the goals. Hopefully he can get a move a few divisions up. Looked a class player when he was playing for Sligo Rovers and I always thought he would have gone on to bigger things by now, but it's never too late.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 6:38pm
So cool on the peno to score the Newport winner v Leicester. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 8:05pm
Had a good game, decent bit of skill about him. Surprising he's never got a chance at L1 level.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 9:35am
Some good recent memories in the FA Cup for him. Nicely taken peno.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 4:06pm

Had a good game, decent bit of skill about him. Surprising he's never got a chance at L1 level.

Delighted for the lad, was a cracking player for Rovers till he left in 2009 and is a smashing lad and all.

Fair fooking play to him.  Again. Clap

-------------

Posted By: Icy Bread People
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 4:19pm
It's a bit depressing when you see League 2 teams with better attendance/stadia/players than what we have in our own league, sigh

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 5:08pm
Why? The money available to L2 teams is multiples of what most LOI teams (bar Dundalk) could hope for.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Icy Bread People
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:35pm

Why? The money available to L2 teams is multiples of what most LOI teams (bar Dundalk) could hope for.

yeah well exactly!

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:54pm

I think population is key here between the countries and the prominence of football now and historically. 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:10pm
Just scored an absolute cracker to put Newport 2-0 up agaisnt Boro

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:12pm
What a goal. Clap

Posted By: BippityBoop
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:07pm
Link for anyone interested: http://streamable.com/k7xhw" rel="nofollow - http://streamable.com/k7xhw

Quality finish.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

Link for anyone interested: http://streamable.com/k7xhw" rel="nofollow - http://streamable.com/k7xhw

Quality finish.

Clap 

Thanks for the link.

-------------

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 11:55am
Newport schooling Boro with a training ground routine corner. Something MON would be guilty of. 

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Newport schooling Boro with a training ground routine corner. Something MON would be guilty of. 

Let it go Ralph, he's gone Dead

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:18pm
PA has scored in every round of the English FA cup this season.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:20pm

No. They just announce the scorers.

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

No. They just announce the scorers.

They must be loud speakers.......

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net