Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=22634
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 12:31pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Richie Towell - Puns
Posted By: Propagandhi®
Subject: Richie Towell - Puns
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 6:13am

Richie Towell believes tonight�s Under-21 match against Turkey [kick-off 4pm Irish time] is a chance for younger players to show what they can do at this level.

Towell is one of several players to have been promoted from the Under-19s into the higher age group, and it is this group of players who will hope to form the backbone of the Under-21 squad for the next campaign, which will begin in March 2011.

With the squad having been decimated through injury and suspension � ten players have had to withdraw from the original squad � the younger players are receiving a head start in their Under-21 careers.

Towell played the full 90 minutes against Switzerland last Friday night, occupying a midfield slot along side Conor Clifford and Conor Hourihane. The midfield trio, who are all eligible for the next Under-21 campaign, played at Under-19 level together. Indeed, Towell and Clifford were midfield partners at Crumlin United together prior being snapped-up by Celtic and Chelsea respectively.

�There are a few of us who have come up through the ranks together and we�re now in the Under-21s together,� he said. �Hopefully this is another stepping stone for us. These two games will give us a bit of experience at this level and hopefully in the next campaign we can have a really strong Under-21 team.

�It was my first game for the Under-21s and I was happy with how I played. The manager was delighted with our overall performance so I thought it went very well, aside from the result.

�I haven�t played in midfield for Ireland for a while because I played most of the last campaign at full-back so it was good to get back into centre-midfield because that is my preferred position. You�re more involved in the game in midfield � getting on the ball, getting forward, creating chances, putting in tackles and generally influencing the game more.�

Despite an impressive performance Ireland went down 1-0 to Switzerland. Temporary manager Wim Koevermans believes that Ireland should have had the game wrapped-up in the first half, when they created eight goal scoring opportunities, and Towell agrees with that assessment.

�We absolutely battered them in the first half,� he said. �We created so many chances and I think that if we had taken one or two of them they would have died down a lot. But we didn�t take the chances and as a result they grew in the second half.

�We still played well but maybe we got a little bit tired from having played so well in the first half. I think we were still the better team; they didn�t get many chances but unfortunately they took one of them. Against Turkey we�re going to have to be more clinical in front of goal.�

Having joined Celtic four years ago, Towell is now close to making the breakthrough into the first team. He has been named on the bench this season and is hoping to get a place in the starting XI soon.

�I�ve been on the bench in most of the matches this season, including the Europa League game, and I also played a pre-season friendly against Blackburn Rovers,� he said. �It�s going well for me. I just have to keep impressing Neil Lennon and hopefully he likes what he sees. Coming away with the Under-21s is another stepping stone and it shows that I can play at this level. I�m at Celtic four years so I think it�s time I started to make my breakthrough.

�I want to stay at the club and fight for my position. I�m training with the first team every day and that can only be good for me. Although I�d like to play in the first team, I am still getting reserves matches every week. I�m in the first team squad now so it�s just a matter of trying to push on and get into the team.�

Replies:
Posted By: Jokerman
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 10:39am
Towell came on for Celtic today in the 57th minute.

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Jokerman Jokerman wrote:

Towell came on for Celtic today in the 57th minute.

Anyone know how the Dub played ?

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Beavis
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 7:20am

Towelie for Ireland !

-------------
<insert witty comment>

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 12:03pm

Towell wins Celtic praise and key role

Wednesday December 01 2010

CELTIC manager Neil Lennon has predicted more first-team action for Irish youngster Richie Towell after his impressive debut for the Bhoys last weekend.

Dubliner Towell came off the bench to make his first appearance for Celtic in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Lennon hopes to see Towell in the side more often.

"I thought Richie did great against Inverness," Lennon said. "I thought he was one of the bright sparks of the day. He had an abundance of energy, was good at winning the ball back and passed well throughout.

"He was also involved in Paddy McCourt's goal, which was our second. He has no reason to be critical of himself because he did exactly what we asked him to do and he can feel proud of himself.

"I would like to think that he would be involved more and more as the season progresses. We have been pretty pleased with how he has done in the last year. His level of performance has been consistent.

"We have a few players out at the moment and that maybe helped him get his chance at the weekend but, regardless of that, I am sure he will feature more and more as the season progresses."

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 12:07pm

Towell intent on becoming a regular at Celtic

By Lisa Gray

Thursday December 02 2010

Irish youngster Richie Towell has told Celtic boss http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Neil_Lennon - Neil Lennon he has plenty more to offer after finally making his competitive debut for the club at the weekend.

And the 19-year-old former Crumlin United midfielder has urged the Hoops boss to have faith in him as he bids to cement his place in the team in the weeks ahead.

Towell has been on the bench for 12 of http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Celtic_FC - Celtic 's 15 http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Scottish_Premier_League - Scottish Premier League games this season and finally made the breakthrough as a second-half substitute in Saturday's draw with Inverness.

"I hadn't played in the http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Scottish_Premier_League - SPL before so I'm not sure how I will fare in the team but hopefully I can get a few more games under my belt and do well," he said.

"I'm a good passer of the ball and I feel I can bring a lot to the team if I get my chance, so hopefully the gaffer can put a bit of faith in me and I can show what I can do.

"I hope the fans take a liking to me too because I work hard for the team.

"I like to play in central midfield the most but it doesn't really matter where I play because once I'm on the pitch, I don't care."

relished

Towell, who came through Celtic's Youth Academy, was handed his bow when he replaced Jos Hooiveld with just over half an hour to go and says he relished every moment.

"It was brilliant hearing the crowd's reaction and being in the middle of it all. It's what I've always dreamed of," he said. "It's been frustrating sitting on the bench all season and that's why I was so delighted to come on.

"I just want to show that I can compete at this level and hopefully the gaffer will give me another chance because I don't like sitting on the bench -- I want to play every week.

"I thought the fans reacted well to me and I was pleased with how I did when I came on.

"I kept the ball and then I won the tackle for Paddy's (McCourt) goal, so they were all cheering for that."

Towell hopes to be involved again when Celtic travel to http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Aberdeen_FC - Aberdeen this weekend, for what is a crucial game for the Hoops as they try to keep in touch with rivals http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Glasgow_Rangers - Rangers at the summit of the SPL.

"We've dropped four points in the last two games so the Aberdeen game is massive. We have to get points back on the board. It's vital we get back on track and get a victory on Saturday," Towell added.

- Lisa Gray

Irish Independent

-------------

Posted By: Wearside Bhoy
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 1:57am
There an article on Ritchie Towell in this weeks Celtic Viiew.

-------------
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 5:36am
Is he good? Trap will keep clear of SPL players if possible.

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Posted By: engpad
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:36pm
LOI fans, how good is this fella? Speaking to people who have been watching him regularly and they're telling me he's been the standout player in the LOI this year. 

Anyone able to comment further upon him? 

Posted By: Snowie
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

LOI fans, how good is this fella? Speaking to people who have been watching him regularly and they're telling me he's been the standout player in the LOI this year. 

Anyone able to comment further upon him? 

As a Bohs fan, I saw him a few weeks back when Dundalk came to town, the chap is absolutly class. Scored a screamer and really ran the show!

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:13pm
He's an excellent player, no reason he can't still make a decent living as a full time professional.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Dunne23
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:39pm
Is he playing as a cm now?

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:44pm
I think it was his choice to come home from hibs rather than other way around. Definitely good enough for the championship. Classy player

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:59pm
I heard he was playing AUL before he joined Dundalk.

What were his reasons for returning home to Ireland?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: deise
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 5:00pm
good player well able for english league

Posted By: saintjoey
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 6:21pm
Fell out with Fenlan I heard

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 7:00pm
Couldn't do it against Bray!

Seen him a good few times though and usually best player on the pitch by a good bit

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 9:09pm
Saw a lot more coverage on him following his two goals in Europe for Dundalk. Is it inconceivable to mention him in regards to building towards the Euros? Much word on him staying in LOI or heading abroad again?

Posted By: Poobear
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 12:21am
I use me towell to wipe the honey off my lips 

Posted By: uncle sam
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Poobear Poobear wrote:

Posted By: uncle sam
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Poobear Poobear wrote:

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:39pm
On trial at Cardiff. Wonder if he'll get a call up if he gets the move 

Posted By: scottyccfc
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 9:52am
Hes a top player, Id put him in there now!

-------------
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 1:22pm
playing in a friendly match tonight with Cardiff! hope he impresses

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 6:38pm
Twink ****

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

Hes a top player, Id put him in there now!
He only got the ferry to Wales. You have to get a plane to England to improve that much.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:23pm
Yeah agreed CB. Once he steps off magic plane onto Hallowed British soil, I say he should be a cert to start for us in Glasgow.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 6:42am

Ritchie getting linked with Ipswich Millwal and Reading.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 7:09pm
A vastly better footballer then Paul Green and deserves a call up...discuss

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 7:17pm
Towell should definitely be in a training squad, along with Horgan and possibly Bermingham.

I wouldn't call up any of those 3 for the play offs, too much at stake.

Plus Green won't be in the final squad. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 7:18pm
2 different players.

Considering what Towell has achieved this year, I think he deserves a call up, at least to O'Neills 128 man provisional squad.

I heard he was poor today though.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

2 different players.

Considering what Towell has achieved this year, I think he deserves a call up, at least to O'Neills 128 man provisional squad.

I heard he was poor today though.

It was a poor match overall tbh, no one really stood out from what I saw. 

Horgan made a super run for Towells goal though and infairness to Towell he finished it very well.

29 goals from midfield is excellent in any league. His technique and calmness on the ball is very impressive. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: Bitored
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 8:24pm
Should be in the squad/get game time for the friendly with Switzerland at the beginning of next year.
Regardless of whether he's still playing here or in England.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 8:36pm
As soon as Towell and Daryl Horgan move cross channel they'll be straight into the squad. Once they move to a minimum Championship level.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 8:38pm
Like Hoban?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 8:57pm
Heard the sports on Neil Delamere's today fm show this morning. Talking about Towell, reporter waa saying he should go over to league one or two where the pressure would be less. Bol1ix to that, Keegan went over and held his own in the championship till he got injured. Same with Deegan. Forrester has gone over and is tearing up league one. Towell is better than them all, could easily stand up at championship level

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Like Hoban?

Hoban moved to League Two and has never been close to Towell or Horgan's standard.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Heard the sports on Neil Delamere's today fm show this morning. Talking about Towell, reporter waa saying he should go over to league one or two where the pressure would be less. Bol1ix to that, Keegan went over and held his own in the championship till he got injured. Same with Deegan. Forrester has gone over and is tearing up league one. Towell is better than them all, could easily stand up at championship level

Towell could do worse than move to the upper reaches of League 1, don't forget the size of most Championship teams budgets and that most contain squads full on internationals and ex Premiership players. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

[QUOTE=Drumcondra 69er] To well could do worse than move to the upper reaches of League 1, don't forget the size of most Championship teams budgets and that most contain squads full on internationals and ex Premiership players. 

This is very true. I'm a big fan of Towell but we have to remember he played a lot of very poor sides/players this year. As much as it pains me to say it league one is a full time professional league and the League of Ireland isn't.

-------------
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:05pm
Towell is not better than Forrester

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Should be in the squad/get game time for the friendly with Switzerland at the beginning of next year.
Regardless of whether he's still playing here or in England.

Agree with that.

On Towell moving. As much as there are plenty of quality players in the Championship and international players, I think he would do very well in that league. He looks to have all the assets to be a good international player for us imo. Problem is this won't be recognised until he goes across the water.

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:16pm
He could be good in the wet weather. O'Neill should ring him.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Big fan of Forrester but Towell is better imo.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Big fan of Forrester but Towell is better imo.

100%, I'd take towell over Forrester all day. I can't understand how he hasn't made the move

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 11:53pm
Towell way more consistent from my views of both players but Forrester clearly making an impression so far for Peterborough but Towell can and should have a decent pro career, 29 goals is outstanding

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 12:26am
If he's good enough he'll make the move to England. He's not a kid though, 24 and has already failed to make the grade in Scotland and on trial with English teams, so although he looks outstanding for Dundalk I wouldn't be losing the run of myself over him just yet. Hopefully he get's a move to L1 or even the Championship and then we'll see if he really is that good, or the LOI is just that bad.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: LovelyLiam
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 12:34am
LOI is course not the best standard league around but in no league is it easy to score 29 goals from midfield and consistently be the most influential player on the pitch. He was a bit off today and still managed to score the winner in a difficult scrappy final. He at least deserves to be considered for Ireland's friendly with the Swiss after the play-offs. Hopefully at that stage a decent championship team will have taken a chance on him as well.

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:25am
Judging by how quickly and well forrester has settled into league 1 football I would be very surprised if horgan and towell couldn't make similar step ups given the opportunity. 

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Judging by how quickly and well forrester has settled into league 1 football I would be very surprised if horgan and towell couldn't make similar step ups given the opportunity. 

Bit of a flawed logic there. Making a go of it in another country is down to alot of things. For every Kevin doyle and Shane long that did well there's a Roy o Donovan and pat hoban who were arguably better prepared than either of the other 2 when they left here.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:36am
Towell didn't fail to make the grade in Scotland iirc he played most of the season with hibs then decided to come home

Ps hoban was nevr at the level of Horgan and towell

-------------

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 8:39am
I would be amazed if towell is still at dundalk next year. He is a cracking player- i think its very possible he will go to the championship and is more than capable of playing at that level.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I would be amazed if towell is still at dundalk next year. He is a cracking player- i think its very possible he will go to the championship and is more than capable of playing at that level.

I'd say it would probably depend on who comes in for him. he may see himself better than league 2. would he go to league 1? who knows. a championship side i'm sure he'd be gone. then you factor in dundalk in champions league qualifying rounds etc. i'm sure dundalk will try and keep him with as attractive a package as they can afford so unless towell gets an offer he thinks is worth taking he might stay another year.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 9:38am
For those in the know, how does he compare to Fahey?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Daragho
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 10:13am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

For those in the know, how does he compare to Fahey?

They're different types of players. Fahey was a composed midfielder, capable of getting the ball, holding it, calming things down, creating space and delivering great passes.
Towell is a lot more energetic and pacey, much more of a physically robust attacking midfielder who scores way more goals. 
Forrester is more in the Fahey mold as well.

I think Towell could make the move to England alright. Maybe go to a top League 1 side and see if he can get into the Championship with them. Players need game time over there. You'll see that Forrester started off playing 60-75 minutes of Peterborough's matches and is now completing the 90 and getting praise from his manager. Only scored twice so far, though. If Towell went to a Championship side and couldn't establish himself in the starting 11 fairly quickly then it would be easy to disappear. IMO it's better to make yourself a fixture in a team with potential lower down and make the step up with them en masse.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Towell didn't fail to make the grade in Scotland iirc he played most of the season with hibs then decided to come home

Ps hoban was nevr at the level of Horgan and towell

Couldn't get anywhere near the Celtic team, started off appearing regularly at Hibs but became a bit-part player when Fenlon took over. He certainly didn't set the world alight in a very average SPL. He does seemed to have developed his playing style a lot since those days admittedly, he was a right-back/orthodox midfielder then, whereas now he's very much an attack-minded player.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 12:53pm
Towell is not moving for the sake of it - he turned Blackpool down and won't do trials. If a move worth taking comes along he will take it. If not he will stay.

As for what he can add to the Irish setup, we are so light in the position calling him up to train seems a no brainer.

-------------
He is Karl Pilkington in the LOI section and Karl Marx outwith it

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:11pm
I wonder why it didn't work out for him at Cardiff

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Towell is not moving for the sake of it - he turned Blackpool down and won't do trials. If a move worth taking comes along he will take it. If not he will stay.

As for what he can add to the Irish setup, we are so light in the position calling him up to train seems a no brainer.

That's why he did a trial at Cardiff last year I suppose? If he's now decided to refuse trials that's an utterly pigheaded and counterproductive attitude. He isn't Zlatan, if he wants a move to a Championship team he's going to have to prove to them he's worth their time, and part of that process will often be training with them beforehand to see if he can handle the higher quality of player around him.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

That's why he did a trial at Cardiff last year I suppose? If he's now decided to refuse trials that's an utterly pigheaded and counterproductive attitude. He isn't Zlatan, if he wants a move to a Championship team he's going to have to prove to them he's worth their time, and part of that process will often be training with them beforehand to see if he can handle the higher quality of player around him.

As Richie has said himself, he's played plenty of matches this year so if clubs want to see him play they've had plenty of chances. 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:31pm
wonder what sort of money is he on now at dundalk? whatever it is if he stays it will have to go up if he is to stay. 1500-2000 on the table maybe??

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Not pig headed at all. Has played enough for any prospective club to see what he has to offer. He is possibly the leagues top player. If he went on trial then there are many downsides, including if the manager didn't fancy him it'd give other clubs a negative vibe, also the club would hold all the cards from a negotiation stand point.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 2:12pm
This may surprise you, but being the top player in the LOI isn't going to be enough to impress most managers. Trials are a normal and sensible part of making your way up the footballing ladder, to categorically reject the idea of going on trial not only sends out a bad message about your attitude, it damages your career prospects too. He might think he's making some sort of stand, but the only person's chances that he's hurting are his own. The last team I saw to be linked with Towell's services were the mighty Bristol Rovers. If he wants to do better than that, I'd humbly suggest that making himself available to go on trials might actually benefit him in the long run.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 2:16pm
pretty sure he said he will do trials for champ/epl teams and not for league 1/2 teams

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 2:40pm
Would be a shame to see Towell dry out in the LOI

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 4:00pm
Just reading his interview today in the indo.
It seems he's more than happy to stay with Dundalk.
"We're going to enjoy tonight and another couple of days and then we'll probably - hopefully-sort something out"

Regarding the long LOI off season -
"It's a very frustrating time for any League of Ireland player but it's something I'm going to have to get used to if I'm going to stay"

"A lot of people think the lifestyle over there (UK) is better than what it is, and its a bit of a myth. You can go over there and be unhappy and it's not what it's made out to be."

I wouldn't be surprised if there a 2k+ deal with a healthy goal bonus on the table. Fyffes are already heavily subsidising his wages so an extra few hundred a week from them plus Dundalk will have made close to a million euro from Europe over the past 2 seasons.

-------------

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 10:02pm
Has been the standout player in the league for me over the past few years. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up having a decent career at championship level in England and going on to play for the national team eventually, but at the moment I'm not sure if I'd have him in the squad. 

Probably deserves an opportunity to be in the squad for a friendly but it will be a massive step up from LoI to international football, would probably need to see him playing at a higher level more regularly before he's seriously worthy of a place in the squad.

Posted By: Dev
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 10:47pm
He is more worthy of a squad place than paul green.

Posted By: saintjoey
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 10:53pm
Towell has turned down clubs in England only last year, he's not gonna go for the sake of it! As a pats fan I hope he gets a move that's right for him this winter and stops terrorising the rest of us

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 11:32pm
I think he should stay where he is

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 8:56pm
On off the ball now

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 8:59pm
I thought they banned Towelling off the ball after that Delap incident

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:52pm
Listened to him on off the ball there and I can totally get why he is content at Dundalk and not willing to go on trials to clubs at the lower end of the English league.
He's in the process of buying a gaf and his missus is pregnant so it wouldn't be so appealing going over on trial to lower level clubs like he is some young lad starting out. If something decent is put in front of him then I am sure he will look at it but otherwise it seems he's rolling ahead with plans to remain at Dundalk.

Also I think he should definitely be named in the larger Irish squad. there probably should always be a token player from the league included in the squad but I think Towell has done enough to join up with the squad on merit and at least train with them.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:56pm
I listened to the same interview. If he's settling down here it would take championship money to bring him to England 5k + a week.
If he stays I'd love to see some sort of a marketing campaign put behind him by the league as a whole and real pressure on MON to put him in squads. It could do wonders for the league to grow his profile.

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 4:50pm
Considering O'Neill has squad list of 37 or whatever surely sticking Towell and 1 or 2 other of the better LOI players is the least they deserve. 

How many current squad players have played in the LOI? It must be at the highest rates in a long time, so it's not tokenism to include them..but it'll be he'll have to do well at Doncaster before he gets a call up...brrrrrpppppp

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: RKeane
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 6:18pm
Paul Green just to name one in the squad ahead of Towell is remarkable. Green 99.9 percent will never get a cap again so why bother

-------------
YESSSS! IT'S THERE

Posted By: AnCearrbhach
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 6:29pm
should have been in against the rock. Unlikely to be included before September now regardless of where he is.

-------------
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

should have been in against the rock. Unlikely to be included before September now regardless of where he is.

There's a friendly against Switzerland in March. That should be an opportunity to stretch the squad and try a few different players with an eye to the future/being flexible at the euros (hopefully) .
Whatever about game time Towell should be in that extended squad.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:19pm
It would be a win/win for everyone if Towell and just say Horgan got called up for the Swiss friendly as it would show the players in the LOI that they can get a chance at international football if they perform well in the league. 

It also may earn either player a move to England which in turn gives the league more exposure as it once had when Long/Doyle etc all moved. 

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 12:03am

It would be a win/win for everyone if Towell and just say Horgan got called up for the Swiss friendly as it would show the players in the LOI that they can get a chance at international football if they perform well in the league. 

It also may earn either player a move to England which in turn gives the league more exposure as it once had when Long/Doyle etc all moved. 
Towell will be in England next week ffs....

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

That was said last year too.

-------------

Posted By: DavidMan
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 4:15pm
There is a fine line between being confident and cocky. i thought he came across as cocky on second captains

-------------
We March On

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by DavidMan DavidMan wrote:

There is a fine line between being confident and cocky. i thought he came across as cocky on second captains

In fairness he's scored 29 goals this year from midfield if there's any Irish player playing anywhere in the world that deserves to be cocky it's him. I loved when he was asked does he think he could play for Ireland now, without hesitating he said yes.
When a simpleton like conor mcgregor is cocky he's a national treasure when a LOI footballer does it he's done something wrong. We need a few more people standing up for the league.

-------------

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 5:11pm
I haven't heard any interest for him from England other then Bristol Rovers....
He had a trial last year and didn't make the cut so to speak. I'd love to see this guy thrive over here, but where? 

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 5:13pm

In fairness he's scored 29 goals this year from midfield if there's any Irish player playing anywhere in the world that deserves to be cocky it's him. I loved when he was asked does he think he could play for Ireland now, without hesitating he said yes.
When a simpleton like conor mcgregor is cocky he's a national treasure when a LOI footballer does it he's done something wrong. We need a few more people standing up for the league.

I tried to hate Richie Towell but I must admit to developing a fondness for him. If he played for City I'd build him a fecking statue.

-------------

Posted By: westyboy
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 5:30pm
he deffo deserves a call up and possibly game time in the next set of friendlies.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

First I heard of it, care to expand?

-------------

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 6:34pm
Brighton are intrested in Horgan and Towell.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Where's that?
Brighton would be a good move for Towell mid championship club under a good manager and a secure club with a bright future

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Where's that?
Brighton would be a good move for Towell mid championship club under a good manager and a secure club with a bright future

They're second in the champonship Wink

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 7:07pm

Clap

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 8:08pm

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Where's that?

They're second in the champonship Wink

Was just about to say that

Brighton would be a great love for him, they're flying this year.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 5:23pm
It was mentioned in the Star the other day .

Posted By: Bohsfan84
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 5:58pm

Must be true then.

Posted By: Bohsfan84
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 2:49am
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/towell-eyes-euro-place-as-brighton-move-edging-closer-34224634.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/towell-eyes-euro-place-as-brighton-move-edging-closer-34224634.html

A move to Brighton could be completed over the next 48 hours.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Bohsfan84 Bohsfan84 wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/towell-eyes-euro-place-as-brighton-move-edging-closer-34224634.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/towell-eyes-euro-place-as-brighton-move-edging-closer-34224634.html

A move to Brighton could be completed over the next 48 hours.

Great move for him. I'd fancy Hughton to get them promoted. It would be ideal for Towell to get game time in the championship before hopefully stepping up to Premier League level. He has his chance now and best of luck to him.

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 3:08am
Great move. Hopefully it all works out.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 6:51am
Best of luck to him . I'm sure hughton will give him his chance and if can get a good run of games and steady performance in at that level he could be the surprise pick for the squad at Easter and who knows from there .

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:36am
Welcome to the Ireland squad Richie!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 9:39am
Can't wait until he plays for Ireland. "Throw the Towell in!" will be the cries from the stands when we play the likes of Germany and Italy.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Bohsfan84 Bohsfan84 wrote:

Must be true then.
must be

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net