URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=20542
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 8:13am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cillian Sheridan
Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Subject: Cillian Sheridan
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 9:31am
200k bid accepted from CSKA Sofia

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/187951-cska-sofia-waiting-on-celtic-striker-sheridans-answer/ - http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/187951-cska-sofia-waiting-on-celtic-striker-sheridans-answer/ ?

Replies:
Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 9:34am
starnge one , wonder what they see in him , hope it all works out and he becomes a hero out there !

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 9:34am

hmm, how much would he get a week there? Interesting to have a player playing on the continent though

Posted By: Propagandhi
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 9:40am

Neither here nor there since the move won't happen but he can kiss another Ireland cap goodbye if he goes to Bulgaria. Sad that he was never given a chance at Celtic despite making a marvellous first impression, while donkeys like Samaras and Fortune get to play week in week out.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 9:43am

he was given a chance
made a good start when first came into the team, remember a great goal against Kilmarnock. Started against United in the CL as well that season,

Towards the second half of Strachans last season he got plenty of game time and wasn't good enough

farmed out to plymouth and then st johnstone and didnt exactly set the world alight there either

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

he was given a chance

made a good start when first came into the team, remember a great goal against Kilmarnock. Started against United in the CL as well that season,

Towards the second half of Strachans last season he got plenty of game time and wasn't good enough

farmed out to plymouth and then st johnstone and didnt exactly set the world alight there either

Fair points - and a lot more balanced than P's rant at Michael Reddy - but Niall Quinn anybody ????

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:14am
Id be very surprised if this move went through. A young Irish lad of 20 moving to Bulgaria? Doubt it.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:19am
I'm usually all for Irish players moving abroad but I would understand if Cillian stays in Britain. He's from Cavan for God's sake. He wouldn't last a week in Sofia. I was really hoping Juventus would come in for Kevin Doyle. Their loss. If they want to finish 7th in Serie A every season that's their prerogative. They have been crap because they don't have enough players with the temperament Kevin Doyle has.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:22am

While we are on the subject, remember when Keith Fahey rejected a move to Hertha Berlin? That worked out well in hindsight.

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:34am
I still don't rate Samaras and Fortuné was atrocious last season, so I hope Lenny's judgement proves right in letting Shero go.  He was still fairly raw, but he's an honest lad and did well at St Johnsone and was certainly no worse than the 2 mentioned above.  I wish the lad well.........Thumbs%20Up

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:35am
He isnt good enough, was'nt even championship standard when he went on loan to Plymouth,,,the league of ireland beckons im afraid

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Originally posted by Propagandhi Propagandhi wrote:

I'm usually all for Irish players moving abroad but I would understand if Cillian stays in Britain. He's from Cavan for God's sake. He wouldn't last a week in Sofia.

Do you know him well? Wouldn't last a week in Sofia?? what does this mean it's a modern European capital not bloody Baghdad

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Guf10
Would be quite a strange one alright.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

He isnt good enough, was'nt even championship standard when he went on loan to Plymouth,,,the league of ireland beckons im afraid

He was played on the wing for Plymouth..........Angry, he's a centre forward and nothing else, I wasn't surprised he didn't play well at Plymouth given the position they asked him to play. 

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:46am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

He was played on the wing for Plymouth..........Angry, he's a centre forward and nothing else, I wasn't surprised he didn't play well at Plymouth given the position they asked him to play. 
ah now, FW if your honest he does not have a future on the international setup, from what i have seen, for a big lad he can't hold up the ball and very cumbersome in his movement, even in the SPL his goal scoring record is poor. As a striker and if your asked to play on the wing it obviously means sturrock didnt rate him up front, hence the decision not to renew his loan spell...hope to god im proved wrong, but think of how many cillian sheridans we;ve had in the past 

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Ireland4ever
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:51am
Jaysus that's an odd one, how did they ever spot him?

Posted By: darragh1888
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 11:15am
very strange indeed!! Confused 

be interesting to see how this works out for him if he does go there

-------------
"26 + 6 = 1, No Surrender"

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 2:59pm

Citizen, I'm not pushing him for the Irish team, far from it (even though he did ok in the friendlies), just saying he's no worse than the far higher paid and expensive flops Samaras and Fortune in particular.  He's better than alot of yiz reckon, that's all I'm saying. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:17pm
He's also attracting admiring glances from Edinburgh rivals Hearts and Hibernian and Charlton Athletic.LOL

Here's the link. http://www.hibs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=205757 - http://www.hibs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=205757

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 8:24pm
More on the Hearts link. He is "keen to test himself abroad".

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hearts-aim-for-Celtic-striker.6326568.jp - http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hearts-aim-for-Celtic-striker.6326568.jp

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 12:35pm
Hopefully Cillian will get some minutes in the Emirates Cup this weekend.

-------------

Posted By: Donal Cullen
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 5:51pm
Jaysus we'll now have to follow the Bulgarian League......holy feck. The life of a statto!!!

-------------
There are friendlier places to drink.

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Donal Cullen Donal Cullen wrote:

Jaysus we'll now have to follow the Bulgarian League......holy feck. The life of a statto!!!

is he actually gone to cska??! this article says that celtic have accepted an offer of £200,000 for him....

http://www.sofiaecho.com/2010/07/30/939985_eternal-rivalry

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 7:38pm
Celtic have also accepted an offer for Aiden McGeady. It all depends on what the player wants at the end of the day. Cillian Sheridan has a chance to impress British clubs this weekend in the Emirates Cup and against Argentina.

-------------

Posted By: city4life
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 4:36am
he wont impress much he is muck,shudnt be near irish squad.there must be sum league the likes of him and mcshane could be shipped off to well out of our sight!

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:32am
He's flying to Bulgaria this weekend. He might sign a deal as soon as this Monday.

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:36am
Originally posted by city4life city4life wrote:

he wont impress much he is muck,shudnt be near irish squad.there must be sum league the likes of him and mcshane could be shipped off to well out of our sight!

Do you actually support Ireland ? Nearly every one of your posts critcises either the player or the team in some shape or form.Confused 

Oh and no txt spk read the rules.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:51pm
CELTIC striker Cillian Sheridan is in line for a surprise £350,000 move to CSKA Sofia, with the Irish striker in the Bulgarian capital this weekend for talks about a possible transfer.
The 21-year-old has spent most of the past two seasons on loan but was part of the Celtic squad for the recent tour of America. But with Gary Hooper's arrival knocking Sheridan down to fifth in Neil Lennon's striker pecking order behind Georgios Samaras, Marc Antoine Fortune and Morten Rasmussen, Celtic are open to cashing in on the player as he enters the final year of his contract.

Sheridan enjoyed a sucessful stint with St Johnstone in the second half of last season, his form earning him a full international debut in May. His likely departure comes on the back of the sales of Stephen McManus, Artur Boruc, Zheng Zhi, Simon Ferry and Paul Caddis that have raised in the region of £4 million, the sum Lennon has so far spent extensively reshaping his squad.

Any move by Aiden McGeady would greatly strengthen the Celtic manager's hand in the transfer market but according to quotes attributed to the Celtic winger in a daily Russian sports newspaper, McGeady says it is "unlikely" he would move to Spartak Moscow, so far the only serious bidders for him with a £9m offer. McGeady is reported to have said he did not believe the move to Russia would improve him as a player.

The 24-year-old made his first appearance of the season in yesterday's 2-2 draw against Lyon but was overshadowed by 19-year-old James Forrest on the opposite wing. Lennon admitted McGeady had been "a bit flat" after his injury lay-off but said he would feature today against Arsenal providing the back injury said to have kept him out of the 3-0 Champions League defeat in Braga did not play-up overnight. And if he came through this afternoon, Lennon would consider him for the return leg in Glasgow on Wednesday. "It will be a football decision," he said, a reference to the suggestions he was not played in Portugal so he would not be ineligible to apear for Spartak in the Champions League.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 7:57am

CSKA Sofia is ready to pay GBP 350,000 for Celtic striker Cillian Sheridan, who is in the Bulgarian capital this weekend for talks about the surprise move, the Scotsman reported.

The 21-year-old has spent most of the past two seasons on loan but was part of the Celtic squad for the recent tour of America. Celtic are said to be open to cashing in on the player as he enters the final year of his contract.

The striker is expected to attend the first round of the Bulgarian National Football Championship, which will include a match between top teams and arch-rivals CSKA and Levski on Sunday. A decision on whether he will be the new addition to CSKA is due in days.

Cillian Sheridan is the second striker, who comes to sign up with CSKA for the last four days. On Wednesday the club contracted Italian Cristian Tiboni.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:29am
yes i do support ireland and im goin to slovakia but i will call a spade a spade sheridan mcshane kilbane not good enough end of story.we wont qualify with them in squad

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:32am

yes i do support ireland and im goin to slovakia but i will call a spade a spade sheridan mcshane kilbane not good enough end of story.we wont qualify with them in squad
`

Oh bollix that's it then I won't bother my hole going to the games then  because 3 players who more than likely won't start any of the games means we won't qualify Cry

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

`

Oh bollix that's it then I won't bother my hole going to the games then  because 3 players who more than likely won't start any of the games means we won't qualify Cry

when coleman and duffy are getting their games and showing trap their potential, mcshane will be out of the squad at the drop of a hat. i don't know why mcshane is still there. it is embarrasing. trap said "i have faith in him". you have faith in a player who was in the worst defensive team in the premiership? and when he was in sunderland conceding 7 against everton??! this is a shocking defender full stop. doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. i will agree he shouldn't be in the squad. though kilbane is merely being used as experience as trap says so i doubt he will play. just a mentor for the younger players.

-------------

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 10:43am
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

`

when coleman and duffy are getting their games and showing trap their potential, mcshane will be out of the squad at the drop of a hat. i don't know why mcshane is still there. it is embarrasing. trap said "i have faith in him". you have faith in a player who was in the worst defensive team in the premiership? and when he was in sunderland conceding 7 against everton??! this is a shocking defender full stop. doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground. i will agree he shouldn't be in the squad. though kilbane is merely being used as experience as trap says so i doubt he will play. just a mentor for the younger players.

agree with that, kilbane is useful to have in the squad. but mcshane is dire, absolutely awful.

Posted By: aidz
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 12:38pm

for the people writing off sheridan...how many games you see him play??

i certainly havent seen him enough to write him off...

-------------
You'll never beat the Irish

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by wrestler313 wrestler313 wrote:

Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

`

agree with that, kilbane is useful to have in the squad. but mcshane is dire, absolutely awful.

oh jesus he's appalling. this video further proves this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMuoxihmu4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMuoxihmu4 it makes me laugh how sh*te he is. a pure donkey

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 7:31am
Celtic striker Cillian Sheridan is poised to join CSKA Sofia while Neil Lennon has confirmed Stuart Baxter has joined as a part-time advisor.

Irish frontman Sheridan travelled to the Bulgarian capital to watch CSKA's 1-0 derby defeat to Levski on Sunday and is thought to be ready to pen a three-year deal.

Sheridan, who has scored four SPL goals for http://topics.skysports.com/celtic/?section=football - spent the second half of last season on loan with St Johnstone and is looking forward to joining CSKA.

"I came over to see what the club was like and whether I liked it," explained Sheridan. "I am looking forward to being here.

"I know next to nothing about CSKA although I watched them play http://topics.skysports.com/fulham/?section=football - and http://topics.skysports.com/roma/?section=football - in Europe last year and they looked good."

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 8:39am
Massive commitment and move for the lad but i hope he takes the chance. We need more players playing in different leagues and hopefully this can set some sort of precedent.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Billy O'Toole
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 9:00am
better than St.Johnstone imo

never goin to get a look in this season at Celtic

he defo should not get into the Senior Squad ahead of Long or Best anyway

-------------
Ybig holy jaysus - 4 points for Gerk & Count

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 9:02am
best of luck to him!!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 11:03am

Celtic striker Cilian Sheridan is considering an offer from CSKA Sofia after travelling to Bulgaria for talks.

Sheridan, 21, was a guest of CSKA at their derby match against Levski Sofia on Sunday and should make a decision on his future before the end of the week.

The Republic of Ireland cap was on loan at St Johnstone last season.

"There's been an offer from a Bulgarian club and we've given him permission to go over and see what he thinks," said Celtic manager Neil Lennon on Sunday.

Sheridan has twice been capped by his country after graduating from the Under-21 side.

During his time with Celtic, he has also spent loan spells at Motherwell and Plymouth Argyle.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 7:59am
Cillian Sheridan has agreed terms with CSKA Sofia, according to the club’s technical director Emil Kostadinov. The Republic of Ireland striker must now wait for CSKA and Celtic to agree the deal, before clinching a move to the Bulgarian capital.

Sheridan was a spectator at CSKA’s derby match with Levski at the weekend, in which his prospective new side lost 1-0. After being shown around the city and the club’s facilities, he flew back to Ireland to mull over the offer put to him by this season’s Europa League participants.

Now CSKA claim Sheridan has settled on personal terms with them and will join by the end of the week, provided they can successfully negotiate with Celtic to release the 21-year-old from his contract.

“With Sheridan, things are completed,” Kostadinov told the Bulgarian press. “It is clarified. It only remains for both clubs to agree. I hope by our next match in the play-offs for the Europa League he is here.”

CSKA Sofia hold a 3-0 advantage over Northern Irish side Cliftonville in the third qualifying round of the Europa League and will travel to the UK on Wednesday ahead of the second leg. All being well, Sheridan will meet with his new team-mates and travel back to Sofia ahead of their league game against Chernomorets on Sunday.

“I came over to see what the club was like and whether I liked it,” Sheridan said at the weekend. “I am looking forward to being here.

“I know next to nothing about CSKA although I watched them play Fulham and Roma in Europe last year and they looked good.”

-------------

Posted By: baddler
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 8:02am
good luck to him.

nice to see a few Irish lads trying their luck on the continent - i'm not his biggest fan but would be good to see him make some kind of impact over there anyway

as someone said earlier its a step up from St-Bleedin-Johnstone thats for sure!

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 8:03am
good luck to him. hopefully he makes a good go of it.

-------------
cup champions

Posted By: zoolander
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 8:18am
Good luck to the lad. I hope it works out for him, I don't know much about the Bulgarian league tho!

-------------
It's a walk-off!

Posted By: TheMixer
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Propagandhi Propagandhi wrote:

Cillian Sheridan has agreed terms with CSKA Sofia, according to the club’s technical director Emil Kostadinov. The Republic of Ireland striker must now wait for CSKA and Celtic to agree the deal, before clinching a move to the Bulgarian capital.

Sheridan was a spectator at CSKA’s derby match with Levski at the weekend, in which his prospective new side lost 1-0. After being shown around the city and the club’s facilities, he flew back to Ireland to mull over the offer put to him by this season’s Europa League participants.

Now CSKA claim Sheridan has settled on personal terms with them and will join by the end of the week, provided they can successfully negotiate with Celtic to release the 21-year-old from his contract.

“With Sheridan, things are completed,” Kostadinov told the Bulgarian press. “It is clarified. It only remains for both clubs to agree. I hope by our next match in the play-offs for the Europa League he is here.”

CSKA Sofia hold a 3-0 advantage over Northern Irish side Cliftonville in the third qualifying round of the Europa League and will travel to the UK on Wednesday ahead of the second leg. All being well, Sheridan will meet with his new team-mates and travel back to Sofia ahead of their league game against Chernomorets on Sunday.

“I came over to see what the club was like and whether I liked it,” Sheridan said at the weekend. “I am looking forward to being here.

“I know next to nothing about CSKA although I watched them play Fulham and Roma in Europe last year and they looked good.”

Hope he can learn a thing or two about goalscoring from the clubs technical director.....

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 9:13am
How long before TV3/RTE or setanta show a CSKA game live?! Surely one of them will show a match!

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

How long before TV3/RTE or setanta show a CSKA game live?! Surely one of them will show a match!

absolutely , YBIG petition to get them to fit one in i reckon..

-------------

Posted By: devondudley
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 1:52pm
is the move confirmed yet

-------------
But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 2:58pm
No.

-------------

Posted By: aidz
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 4:48pm

Good to see sheridan make the move.

Sofia even cheaper than Cavan, so it'll suit him!!

-------------
You'll never beat the Irish

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 7:13am

Sheridan has completed his move to CSKA Sofia after much conjecture. He has signed a 3 year contract and will wear the number 26.

-------------

Posted By: heyirish
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 8:09am
are cska in europe this season....dont know a whole lot about them

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 8:16am
Yes

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 8:16am
They are in the Europa League. They knocked out Cliftonville.

-------------

Posted By: Propagandhi®
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 10:06am

WE'VE BEEN buying their villas and ski holidays for years and now it's our turn to sell something to them, as Celtic's Cillian Sheridan is finally on his way to Bulgaria, writes AIDAN FITZMAURICE.

The Cavan native, capped twice at senior level, will line out for the Irish U21 side against Estonia tonight, the first part of a busy week for the player. After that he will link up with the senior squad for tomorrow's friendly against Argentina and the following day is expected to complete his move to CSKA Sofia.

It's a big move for a player, risky already to leave Celtic without the pressure of becoming the first Irishman to play in Bulgaria, but he says he's happy to take the chance.

"I know there are a few Brazilians playing in the league out there but I think I will be the first man from Ireland," Sheridan told the Herald. "It's funny that myself and Aiden McGeady are both leaving Celtic at the same time and heading to the same part of the world. I spoke to Aiden last week when he was over in Moscow. He's looking forward to that move if it works out and I am looking forward to Sofia.

"It's a risk and a big step. The hardest thing will be settling in. It's a new country, a new culture and a new language but I'm willing to give it a go. Hopefully if the football is going well for me, everything else will fall into place.

"It's got the potential to be a really good move for me. If I can do well I can get to play in Europe and hopefully keep my place in the Ireland squad. It's all agreed, I just have to go over and sign. I'm not sure when that will happen, maybe Thursday or Friday of this week but I expect it to go through.

"They have agreed a fee with Celtic so it's just down to me. But the first thing for me to focus on is the Estonia game with the U21s," he said.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 10:17am
Celtic striker Cillian Sheridan is flying to Bulgaria today to finalise his transfer to CSKA Sofia.

The 21-year-old Republic of Ireland international told reporters after the Republic’s defeat to Argentina in last night’s friendly that he is heading for Sofia.

He said: “I’m flying out to Sofia tomorrow so I think it should be finalised then. In the next few days, hopefully, I’ll have it all sorted out.”

The player, who has already had spells at Motherwell, Plymouth Argyle and St. Johnstone, said that the most important thing for him is to play regular football.

He also said that he realises he will be slightly under the international radar at CSKA: “First and foremost I need to play. I know going out there I could easily be forgotten about but it’s up to me to play every week, score a few goals and make a name for myself, and hopefully that will keep me in their thoughts.”

Sheridan started against La Albiceleste last night because Wolves striker Kevin Doyle failed a fitness test. Sheridan also played for the under-21s against Estonia on Tuesday night but refused to blame tiredness for his lacklustre display.

“I think I should have done better. I gave the ball away a few times with sloppy touches and things like that so there’s definitely a lot of room for me to improve.

“Obviously it was a bit heavy but when you’re playing in a match like this the adrenaline kind of kicks in and I can ‘t use that [the U-21 game] as an excuse.”

He also acknowledged the quality of the opposition. “They are an unbelievable side, probably the best team I’ve played against. The way they kept the ball and found little gaps everywhere, it was a real eye opener,” said Sheridan.

-------------
"I Shall Not Be Provoked." Propagandhi, 2010

Posted By: heyirish
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:48am
has his transfer gone through. I see on SSN that the cska coach resigned today......

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:49am
Originally posted by heyirish heyirish wrote:

has his transfer gone through. I see on SSN that the cska coach resigned today......

was just looking on their website and cant see anything about him signing

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 7:52pm
The coach that signed him has been sacked and the Bulgarian players are mutinous because of foreign players ie. Sheridan's high wages. Other than that, they've had a rank start to the season. I hope Cillian knows what he's getting himself into.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:11pm
just scored for sofia

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

just scored for sofia

That his debut?

Good man Cillian Clap

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by McGoldrick McGoldrick wrote:

just scored for sofia

That his debut?

Good man Cillian Clap
think so

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:27pm

just scored for sofia
Aquaro, Nelson and Delev scored according to SkySports.

-------------

Posted By: johnnycee
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:28pm
Aquaro, Nelson and Delev are the scores on BBC aswell !

-------------
Don't believe everything you read in the news papers

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:35pm
All 3 goals came after Sheridan came on so he obviously done something right.

-------------

Posted By: houghton88
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 4:17pm
From £700 per week to €10k is not bad for a young fella. He wouldnt get that anywhere else.

-------------
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by houghton88 houghton88 wrote:

From £700 per week to €10k is not bad for a young fella. He wouldnt get that anywhere else.

Fookin hell, that's serious money. Hope it works out for the lad, still find the move hard to believe...

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:45am
Originally posted by johnnycee johnnycee wrote:

Aquaro, Nelson and Delev are the scores on BBC aswell !

I got it off BBC live text. They must have corrected themselves

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:49am
just read the report of the match there and no mention of Sheridan at all in it (he did come on after 54 mins though) so looks like he wasn't involved directly in any of the goals.

Still, good to see him being involved straight away.  good luck to the lad

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:57am
at least he got his game, might check out the 2nd leg on iraqgoals

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 7:20am

Aiden McGeady was not the only Celtic player to raise eyebrows with a surprise move abroad this summer.

Cillian Sheridan may not have left with a £10m price tag around his neck, but the Irishman’s switch to CSKA Sofia was similarly intriguing.

The forward’s four years in Glasgow were interrupted by loan spells in Motherwell, Plymouth and Perth, so Sofia didn’t feature high on Sheridan’s list of possible destinations when making a permanent exit. Yet, the 21-year-old decided to eschew convention and go for it.

Time will tell whether he has made the right choice, but the early signs are encouraging. As he spoke to Herald Sport, Sheridan was lounging beside his private pool in 35°C heat. The football has been kind too.

Sheridan made his league debut in a 1-0 win over Cherno More on Sunday and will be in Wales tomorrow for the second leg of CSKA’s Europa League play-off tie against TNS. Providing his new club avoid a four-goal defeat, he will be gracing the group stages.

“I got a call at the start of the summer and I was a bit hesitant,” he said. “I didn’t know much about the club or the country but the more I spoke to people, the more I started to like the idea.

“I came over and the club made me really welcome and after that, my mind was made up. I’m settled in a flat and the city looks really good. The only big problem is the alphabet.

“I had a chat with Aiden before we both left and he texted me on Monday asking how I was getting on. He made a big move but he feels he’s made the right decision and I think he’ll do really well over there.”

Sheridan knows all about huge decisions. Aged 17, he was faced with the biggest dilemma of his life. A precocious Gaelic footballer, he was offered the chance to join Australian Rules team Brisbane Lions but instead opted for a deal at Celtic. He remains convinced it was the right choice.

He said: “I’ve never regretted it for one second and I never will. It was an unbelievable experience and it’s a period of my career that will always stay with me.

“Starting against Man United at Celtic Park and playing against the likes of Rio Ferdinand was a dream for me. I made a lot of good friends and when I look back I’ll only have good memories of my time at the club.

“It was hard to leave but it didn’t look like I was going to feature regularly so I had to make the decision. I need to move on and play first-team football and hopefully I’ll be able to do that with CSKA.”

Given that the coach who signed him, Pavel Dochev, left CSKA 24 hours after Sheridan’s arrival, the Republic of Ireland internationalist could have been forgiven for wondering what he’d let himself in for, but Gjore Jovanovski’s appointment as the new head coach has been well-received.

“We beat TNS in the Europa League last week and we’ve got the return in Wales,” he said. “Hopefully we can get through and then you never know what could happen in the group stages – we might even get Celtic.”

-------------

Posted By: Tweetering
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 9:53am
http://pfkcska.sportal.bg/bg/players:129?season=3

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 10:26am

can we change the tread title to Име: Килиан Шеридън ?

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 10:00am

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni has called up CSKA Sofia striker Cillian Sheridan for the forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers against Armenia and Andorra.

The 21-year-old former Celtic player was not in the initial 25-man party named by Trapattoni’s assistant Marco Tardelli last week, but has now been drafted in.

The Republic open their Group B campaign against Armenia in Yerevan next Friday evening, before taking on Andorra at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin the following Tuesday.

http://breakingnews.ie/sport/trap-hands-sheridan-republic-berth-471120.html#ixzz0xp2Yzdv9 - http://breakingnews.ie/sport/trap-hands-sheridan-republic-berth-471120.html#ixzz0xp2Yzdv9

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 10:10am
no Stokes Thumbs%20Down

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 11:28am
It had to be done.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 12:48pm
For feck sake. Shocking.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 1:55pm
well thats the goals sorted for this campaign,lethal foward he is!

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 1:56pm
Lads,
I'd give the lad a break - he is only a youngster.
He could be moulted into a Cascarino type player.

Unfortunately we dont have much options in this postion.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 1:59pm
I think Daryl Murphy should have been given another chance but maybe that's just me.

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 5:57pm
Jon Walters

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by horsebox1977 horsebox1977 wrote:

Lads,
I'd give the lad a break - he is only a youngster.

He could be moulted into a Cascarino type player.

Unfortunately we dont have much options in this postion.

Good point. Quinn was never the most talented footballer and used to get dogs abuse at Highbury from the fans, but concentrated on the skills he did have and look how he turned out.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 7:51pm
sheridan will be as usefull as a sack of hammers!

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 5:11am
scored his first goal for Sofia yesterday

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 5:23am
Originally posted by baddler baddler wrote:

Good stuff. Did they win? Where are they in the league?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 5:46am

won 3-1 and now up to seventh after having a very poor start to the season (DLL)

http://www.soccerway.com/national/bulgaria/a-pfg/2010-2011/regular-season/ - http://www.soccerway.com/national/bulgaria/a-pfg/2010-2011/regular-season/

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 5:50am

won 3-1 and now up to seventh after having a very poor start to the season (DLL)

http://www.soccerway.com/national/bulgaria/a-pfg/2010-2011/regular-season/ - http://www.soccerway.com/national/bulgaria/a-pfg/2010-2011/regular-season/

played 90 mins last 2 games too, hope this works out for the lad

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:25am
Looks like he's making an impact there...would love to see him do well and get some confidence !

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 3:00pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8zFfRihCc&feature=youtube_gdata_player - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8zFfRihCc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1:07

Cillian Sheridan's first goal for CSKA Sofia Vs. Sliven

-------------

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 5:09pm
Legend! Best of luck to Cillian. Looking forward to keeping tracks on him in the Europa League.

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 5:14pm

sheridan will be as usefull as a sack of hammers!

your posts are about as useful as a sack of hammers. i can understand ya havin a go at players like mcshane or kilbane but lay off sheridan. he had a good game when he played against algeria. fair fcuks to the lad for playin against the argies. he played 90mins of a match the night before so he was bound to look sluggish. i never see you with a positive post. i'm all for a person on this forum having an opinion but saying the same stuff over and over again is just plain infuriating.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 5:43pm
its very hard to find anything positive to say at the minute, im seriously worried that we wont have 6 pts picked up by nxt tues nite

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 5:51pm
man a ball hasn't been kicked, you can't be finding anything positive or negative to say. wait til friday and watch the match and then say your piece. for now, you can't keep bashing the team. trap did a great job in picking up a demoralised team and making them worthy of qualifying for a world cup. the world was behind us. that takes some doing. he has persona and character and i trust him to take us through. now, i'm like you, i'd love to see wilson, mccarthy, coleman and stokes playing in the team but truth is, 3 of those players are not even 22. trap prefers to play senior players in a senior squad. i'm sure if these players keep their heads down, perform for their club teams, then they will eventually get their cap. but for now, i just want us to qualify for euro 2012. i don't care how we do it, but if we do, those 4 players will be 24, 21, 23 and 23 respectively and will be more mature for a much more secure place in the team. that is my view on what traps mentality is regarding these players. ok yes, he tried out cunningham. but he obviously feels he has more of a level head then some of these players. he doesn't want to throw players in too fast because they could have a bad experience. if we're not getting the results, then his team selection will obviously be called into question. but until then, i'm standing by him and if you are an ireland supporter, you should too. 

-------------

Posted By: skylarking
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 11:43pm
Like most of the lads and lassies on this forum, I don't exactly agree with some of Trap's selection policies. But then again, I haven't had a 50 year career in professional football playing for and managing teams at the highest level.

Fair play to Cillian Sheridan, hopefully he'll use these opportunities to show us what he can do. Although I've never personally been impressed when I've seen him, you got to give it up for the lad for agreeing to such a bold move.Clap He's obviously got something between his ears. Remember he's still a youngfella, so who knows how he'll develop?

Good man Cillian, don't let the bar stewards bring you down.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 3:20am
@city4life
I dont think you have ever posted a constructive post.

Sheridan is not the best but he is young and he will learn.
Personally I'd prefer to see Stokes ahead of him or even Jon Walters for that matter.

But give the lad a break.

As for Kilbane - his time has come and he should stand down but he has been a good servant to Ireland over the past few years.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 5:29am
Lads,
He's entitled to his opinion whether positive or negative, everyone is entitled to post and there is no pre-requisite that it must be constructive.

I hope Sheridan does well, but Ireland have had alot of young prospects come and go and most of them have failed, due to the fact that we are measuring them off Robbies standards.

If Quinn and Cas came along now we would be laying into them also !

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 3:37am
Bump.

Anyone know how he is getting on in CSKA Sofia?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 3:44am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Bump.

Anyone know how he is getting on in CSKA Sofia?

scored two utter crackers about 2 weeks ago i think , maybe three, heard nothing since

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 3:55am
think they lost 2-0 last night in europa

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 4:01am

CSKA sack Jovanovski, search for eighth coach of year

http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/sports/providers/reuters/SIG=114rh0n4s/**http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.co.uk%2F - http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/sports/providers/reuters/SIG=114rh0n4s/**http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.co.uk%2F -

Fri, 22 Oct 09:36:00 2010

CSKA Sofia have sacked Macedonian coach Gjore Jovanovski in the wake of their Europa League home defeat to Rapid Vienna, the Bulgarian club said on Friday after parting company with their seventh manager of the year.

Thursday's 2-0 loss was CSKA's third in as many matches in Group L, leaving them bottom of the standings behind Porto, Besiktas and Vienna without a point or goal in the group campaign to date.

"We had no choice but to act after the negative results in the past weeks," CSKA president Dimitar Borisov told local media, adding that sporting director Emil Kostadinov would also vacate his post.

The match against Rapid was also marred by crowd violence as several hundred CSKA supporters clashed with riot police outside the Vasil Levski national stadium after the final whistle.

Angry fans, who have protested against the club management's policy on several occasions, threw plastic bottles, flares and other objects during the incident.

On Friday, Police said they had arrested 18 CSKA supporters while four policemen had sustained slight injuries.

Former Macedonia coach Jovanovski's departure means that CSKA will begin the search for an eighth coach this year and fourth since the start of the season.

Jovanovski, 54, took over from Pavel Dotchev nine weeks ago but could not produce a significant improvement in the team's results both domestically and in Europe.

The 31-times Bulgarian champions are ninth in the league standings on 13 points from 10 matches, 12 points behind leaders and city rivals Levski Sofia.

CSKA have yet to make an official announcement but former players Sasho Borisov and Milen Radukanov are expected to be taking charge of the side for the league match at Minyor Pernik on Sunday.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net