Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=18348
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 7:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Steven Reid
Posted By: dunloybhoy
Subject: Steven Reid
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 2:29am

Celtic are said to be on the verge of signing midfielder Steven Reid on a free transfer. Reports in various newspapers on Tuesday morning say the Republic of Ireland international, whose contract with Blackburn Rovers comes to an end over the summer, has held talks with the Hoops.

Neil Lennon is believed to have recommended the signing of the 29-year-old as Celtic look to improve their squad to challenge Rangers for next season’s SPL title. Loan signings Robbie Keane, Diomansy Kamara and Edson Braafheid will also need replaced, with all returning to their parent clubs shortly.

Reid has been dogged by injuries during his seven year stint at Ewood Park and spent time on loan at Championship clubs QPR and West Bromwich Albion last season after failing to break into Sam Allardyce’s plans.

A central midfielder who can also play out wide, Reid managed just 42 appearances in the past four seasons with Blackburn, suffering persistent back and knee injuries.

He played just three times at the start of the 2006/07 season, forcing his way back into the team for the following campaign and impressing under Mark Hughes. But he suffered another knee injury after just four games of the 2008/09 season and didn’t return to the Blackburn team until August last year.

Reid appeared to get his career back on track last season with his role in helping West Brom gain automatic promotion to the Premier League, playing 10 times following his March move.

The Baggies want to keep Reid at the Hawthorns for their shot at staying in the English top flight next season but Celtic have made a hopeful approach to the London-born player, who started his career with Millwall.

Capped 22 times by the Republic of Ireland on account of his grandparents’ nationality, Reid was part of their squad at the 2002 World Cup and came off the bench in their two group matches with Cameroon and Germany.

Last updated: 18 May 2010, 07:45

i see from the daily record he was at lennoxtown yday for talks

-------------
put em under pressure!

Replies:
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 2:30am

Neil Lennon in swoop to take freed Blackburn midfielder Steven Reid to Celtic

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/05/18/ - May 18 2010 By Keith Jackson

CELTIC yesterday launched a surprise bid to sign Republic of Ireland international Steven Reid - in a move sanctioned by interim boss Neil Lennon.

Record Sport can reveal the 29-year-old - up for grabs as a free agent after leaving Blackburn - was at the club's Lennoxtown HQ yesterday to open talks on a Parkhead contract and was last night on the brink of agreeing a deal.

But crucially, it's understood Reid's name was first put forward as a suggested summer signing by current caretaker boss Lennon - the first indication that the man from Lurgan is on the verge of being given the job on a permanent basis.

Lennon spent the final few weeks of the season drawing up a list of the transfer targets he would go after were he to be handed full control as Tony Mowbray's successor.

And the fact chief executive Peter Lawwell is forging ahead in his attempts to seal the deal for Reid - on a wage packet likely to be worth around £20,000-a-week - proves the board are prepared to back their man's judgment with hard cash.

Reid has fallen out of the plans at Ewood Park since the arrival of Sam Allardyce as boss and was farmed out on loan to QPR and West Brom.

He had been expected to accept a long-term deal to stay at the Hawthorns but Celtic have now jumped to the front of the queue for his signature.

Sources close to the deal say Lawwell is confident an agreement will be concluded soon - and insist it will be done with Lennon's blessing.

Record Sport was told last night: "The talks went well with Steven and Celtic feel a deal is close. Suffice to say, Neil Lennon. knows all about the player and if he felt for a minute that this was not in Celtic's interests then these talks would not have been taking place."

-------------
put em under pressure!

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 2:45am
thought he was signing for west brom

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:01am
Good stuff. At least he has a couple of offers.
Good chance for him to win trophies.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:11am
if he stays fit it will be beneficial for both teams

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:20am
very good player if he can stay fit and would do well in scotland
sadly i cant ever see him having an injury free run of games the way his career has been

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 4:25am
Cant see him lasting injury free in Scotland, them coonts up there will kick lumps out of him

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 5:16am
Don't mind where he plays just as long as he plays

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: zoolander
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 5:25am
Would be a good move for Reid. Hope it materialises. Always did a decent job for Ireland and it would be good to have him back in the squad for the qualifiers.

-------------
It's a walk-off!

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 6:51am
Good he has an option. Could do well at Celtic but if WBA want to keep him that's also a great move. Although I want to see him back in Centre Mid

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 6:56am
i think his day as past.. along with players who are still capable at international level (steve finnan) Trap doesnt rate them anymore or just doesnt want to take the risk of playing them again and having to do without them when they get injured..i dont know what it is.. but both should be in the ireland set up without a doubt

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:02am
Good man Reid
Hopefully he can just settle down now

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:08am
he will be a good addition to the celtic treatment room

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:15am
Hopefully West brom get him. A fit Steven Reid is good enough for EPL

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:39am
Yeah I thought he'd agreed to join the Baggies, but I'd love to see him at Celtic Park, player like him was sadly missing the last couple of years.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:43am
Celtic are today awaiting an answer from Irish midfielder Steven Reid, who has been handed the chance to become the club’s first signing of the summer.

Senior sources at the Parkhead club confirmed they have opened talks with the 29-year-old.

But Reid is also expecting to be offered a deal at West Brom – where he has just completed a short-term loan – as he prepares to become a free agent after failing to win a new contract at Blackburn.

The player would cost around £1million per year in wages, but Celtic believe he still represents value for money – especially as he is a Bosman – and have moved quickly to try and lure Reid north.

After talks were held in Glasgow over the last few days, when the player was shown around Celtic Park and Lennoxtown, the ball is now in his court.

Reid – who has been capped 22 times for the Republic of Ireland – can play in the centre of midfield or out wide.

At 6ft 1in, he has the stature and experience which interim manager Neil Lennon has informed chief executive Peter Lawwell and major shareholder Dermot Desmond is essential to add to the squad which failed to collect any trophies last season.

Reid has been plagued by knee injuries in the past few seasons and, after regaining full fitness, struggled to win his place back at Blackburn when Sam Allardyce took over last term.

He was loaned out to Queens Park Rangers then West Brom for the final few months of the campaign as he battled to prove he has regained his fitness.

He played a significant part in helping the Baggies win promotion back to the Premiership, and the chance to perform at that level again could be the biggest obstacle to Celtic convincing him he should move to the SPL.

Reid had planned to go on holiday this week where he would mull over his options.

And he accepts it is a crucial stage in his career. He acknowledged: “I know I can still play Premier League football, and I am disappointed I haven’t played the amount of games I hoped to at Blackburn this season. But that is football.

“I definitely feel I can still offer a Premier League club something because I still feel I am good enough at that level. It may sound strange but I feel as though I’m ready for a new challenge.

“I played a few games at West Brom, got myself fit and really enjoyed playing a part in helping them get to the Premier League. It is a decent club and I was delighted to have been involved.

“There has been no contract offer at the moment from West Brom, but we have had initial talks.”
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/neil-lennon-is-waiting-for-the-nod-from-reid-1.1028634 - http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/...reid-1.1028634

-------------
put em under pressure!

Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:44am
its good to see that he has options and hes hopefully getting back to fitness again

-------------
put em under pressure!

Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:46am
Lads alot of yiz (not me) reckoned Duffer was finished............Stephen is still only 29, younger than Duffer.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Tash Kent
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 9:08am

Plenty of football left in Steven Reid yet, would love to see him at Celtic as well but just hope he gets regular games and gets back into the Ireland set up wherever he ends up, good luck to him anyway wherever he is playing next season.

-------------
Philip Greene RTE Radio Legend
10 Seconds Gone Here In Limerick And No Score.

Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:16am
only question mark is his fitness. you can't question is ability. a pre-season under his belt will do greatness for him. Duff hadn't had a pre-season in a few years because of injury. He got one at the beginning of this season and I would say contributed to his massive upturn in form

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 1:30pm
Sad to see he hasnt become the player he could have been. Very unlucky player. He really deserves a good last 3 or 4 years,If moving to celtic does this for him then he should go there. Huge player for us if hes fully fit

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: nui0304
Date Posted: 19 May 2010 at 5:40am
thnik it will be a great move for him and ireland

Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 4:07am
Steven Reid fails a medical...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/05/25/celtic-target-steven-reid-s-move-to-parkhead-in-doubt-after-midfielder-fails-medical-86908-22283550/ - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/05/25/celtic-target-steven-reid-s-move-to-parkhead-in-doubt-after-midfielder-fails-medical-86908-22283550/

Quote:

Celtic target Steven Reid's move to Parkhead in doubt after midfielder fails medical

May 25 2010 By Keith Jackson

STEVEN REID'S shock move to Celtic is in the balance after doctors failed to give the injury-plagued Republic of Ireland midfielder a clean bill of health.

Record Sport can reveal the Blackburn Rovers free agent has been devastated by news that tests during his Parkhead medical raised question marks over his fitness.

And interim boss Neil Lennon was dealt a further blow last night when it emerged Middlesbrough are trying to hijack his £2.5million move for Scarrothorpe striker Gary Hooper.

Reid - who held signing talks with Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell last week - had been on the verge of clinching a deal worth around £20,000 a week as he at tempted to relaunch his career in Glasgow's East End following two years of agony at Ewood Park.

Knee problems kept Reid on the sidelines before Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce sent him on loan spells to QPR and West Brom.

The injury nightmare prompted Republic boss Giovanni Trapattoni to claim Reid would never get back to playing top-level football - an assertion furiously dismissed at the time by Allardyce.

Now Reid's hopes of a making a fresh start in the SPL have been dealt a hammer blow.

A source close to the deal told Record Sport last night: "Steven thought he was very close to reaching agreement last week but the medical has thrown a spanner in the works.

"It hasn't collapsed totally but some problems have been identified that mean he doesn't tick all the boxes in terms of his physical condition.

"It's unlikely Celtic will now offer the terms and conditions discussed last week. If a deal can be salvaged, it will have to be radically restructured in the club's favour."

Lennon's hopes of landing Hooper are also up in the air after former Celtic boss Gordon Strachan made a late bid to lure the 21-year-old to the Riverside.

Sources on Teesside claim the prolific striker held talks with Boro yesterday and is close to snubbing Celtic.

-------------
put em under pressure!

Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 4:10am
Ah jaysis. The lad cant catch a break.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 4:11am
Nitemare for Reid. Would have liked to have seen him in a Celtic jersey. Hopefully a deal can still be sorted out.

-------------
It's a walk-off!

Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 4:19am
poor old Reidy

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: garytwigg21
Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 4:20am
Rotten luck

-------------
This time next year........

Posted By: AndyMc
Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 4:25am
I'd say it's to do with money, they will hopefully hammer out a mew deal and get it signed. It's rumoured that michael owen has a huge portion of his wages paid as an appearance bonus and less wages then you would expect. Reid might need to do something similar to find a new club unfortunately.

-------------
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:04am
I saw him play live a few times for WBA at the end of the season and he was great and the fans were behind him too. Gave some smashing long distance passing and great tackles too. They had him at right back were he looked comfy and pushed him up once or twice to midfield. I am surprised he is not staying there as it looked like he gave 100% in the games i saw. Great if he stayed there or got a good deal with the hoops. Best of luck to him anyway

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:09am
Can only imagine what's going through his head now.
So much potential there aswell

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:11am

Feel so sorry for the poor fella

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:13am
What bad luck! Reid is a smashing lad and would be an asset to any side, when fully fit.

Two years ago he was looking like Trap's main man...

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:14am
yeah he started the world cup campaign in smashing form, if it wasnt for injuries he'd easily our best central midfielder

Posted By: Xlami
Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:11am
Signed for West Brom Today.

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:15am
Ah bollix...........disappointed he didn't join Celtic but hope he stays injury free now at WBA, the lad deserves a clean run now.

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:48am
Good stuff, glad he did not join celtic. Much better that he plays at a higher level and good football.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 2:29pm
2 years with an option of 1 year extension. He couldnt have asked for more given his fitness record. Happy for the lad.

After Traps comments earlier in the year i dont think we will see him in a green shirt again. Absolute shame.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 4:02am
2010/2011 an injury free year for Steven Reid Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 5:03am
Would love to see him back in the green jersey. Big fan of Reids. Hopefully he can do the business for WBA

-------------
It's a walk-off!

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 5:24am
Originally posted by McGoldrick McGoldrick wrote:

2 years with an option of 1 year extension. He couldnt have asked for more given his fitness record. Happy for the lad.

After Traps comments earlier in the year i dont think we will see him in a green shirt again. Absolute shame.

good contract considering. He does well in the prem, injury free then I don't think the comments from Trap before will make much difference. He was great in Traps first two competitive games and was one of the first names on the team sheets i'd say. Injury has put him down the order a bit but I am sure he can get back up if he stays injury free.

Hope it works out for WBA and he gets himself back into Centre mid. He'll have a good pre-season behind him too

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 5:28am
IMO, if he stays fit until xmas, I mean totally injury free then I reckon Trap will consider him in 2011... he has to.
He's proven in the premiership and for Ireland.

Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 9:58am
cant understand how he fails one medical and passes another?

anyway hopefully he does well with WBA, hes had bad luck so hopefully he gets a change.

-------------
put em under pressure!

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 5:43pm
got 8 mins today and a yellow Unhappy

-------------

Posted By: BrenC
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:24am
Retired today - according to BBC twitter.  Such a shame he had so many injuries.  Really thought at one point he would become our key midfielder. 

-------------
Team Emmet

Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:40am
Only for injuries he could have been a top player in my opinion. He looked like he would become the main man in our midfield at the start of traps era, then got injured after (maybe even during) the Monty away game.

Was one of my favourite players. Glad he had a long career at the rop level even with his injuries but for sure there must be regret that he didn't achieve the heights I think his talent could have taking him

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:00pm

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:17pm

Very sad to hear Steven is hanging up the boots. A very good footballer and a really decent guy who really loved playing for Ireland. I was speaking recently to him in RTE so i expect we will be seeing alot more of him on the panel.

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:49pm
Yep didn't get much of a look in at the Turf this season , hey that's life .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 3:23am
John Sebastian Veron in the making is he going to follow his footssteps and be the next Millwall president?

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 7:25am
Yeah if it wasn't for injuries he would have been a really great player for us IMO.  Had all the attributes (good passer, liked a tackle great energy and he could really strike a ball) to play at the very top level.  Real pity his international career never really got going.  Always loved seeing him in the starting XI and felt we were alot stronger and more assured in the middle of the park when Reid was playing.

I'm sure he will good into coaching and make a very good career for himself from that.

Good luck Steven Thumbs Up

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:45pm
Was very good for us when available. How we could have done with him in the last few years in the middle of the park. Best of luck in retirement Steven

-------------
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:35am
I didn't realise Steven was a coach with Scotland these days.

Just seen him talking about Scotland on SSN.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: ErsatzThistle
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I didn't realise Steven was a coach with Scotland these days.

Just seen him talking about Scotland on SSN.

I did make a post about it about a year ago.

Reid is very welcome working with our national team and our players really seem to enjoy training with him.

I'm also very impressed with Reid's enthusiasm and commitment, he understands from his time as an Irish international what an honour it is to play for ones country. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:19am
ClapClapClap

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:01pm
Will take interim charge of Nottingham Forest at the weekend.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 4:53pm
Wins his first, and likely last, game in charge of Nottingham Forest.

100% record. He should replace Kenny.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 4:58pm
Could Keane be in the mix at Forest i wonder. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:21pm
No, Steve Cooper is next in line for that revolving door. Keane was there with M O'N not so long ago, they got the boot as all managers at that club do when they get a few poor results.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net