Forum Description: All League Of Ireland Teams Forum
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=16189
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 5:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: the future for shelbourne
Posted By: Saint Tom
Subject: the future for shelbourne
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 6:03pm
all partisan opinion aside, what's going to happen here?

while a few years ago i would gladly have wished death on shels, there is a certain amount of respect that goes for tradition, history and rivalry.

gouldy, chad, gaz, sledge.. any silver lining on the horizon?

i hear irishtown muted ? how likely is this? i honestly think rneting in the corpo area from a rival club (be it pats or bohs) will see shels in fierce difficulty going forward.

at the end of the day, pats were only a benefactor away from the same scenario a few years back, then again the club owns richer and you'd still get €15 million for it, given its proximity to town and the land owned by the club on the far side of the camac (slightly smaller than the football ground). i personally thought tallaght as owners was an option for us, before the council built it, provided rovers were not tenants. still think we'd do very wellin clondalkin/ballyer with a new ground. michaels estate is still on the backburner, but requires a certain city council to  reaslise they have a site that is worthless and a club which can regenerate a community (without profit of course)

Tom

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Replies:
Posted By: SYLT Number 2
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 6:13pm
I predict we will end up playing LSL.

f**k the whole thing anyway, Shels go bust and we suffer greatly. Rovers go bust and they get bailed out and a stadium in Tallaght.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 6:25pm

i think it came down to timing, shels had a period of unparelleled success in the early noughties, spent a bomb that they didnt have on players (acknowledging rovers overspent) and never secured ownership of a ground, had they gone for a greenfield site in swords - for example - and half finished it, and then asked for help, im sure fingal co co would have rowed in behind.

I'm a pats fans since the early nineties, my family had no direct connection to the club, my da brought us for the first time for a "cablelink festival of football" friendly v john aldridge's tranmere (ma being a scouser), and, imo the league of ireland hasnt seen the intensity of that rivalry, or the crowds at those games since the late 90's.

and yes rovers did well in tallaght last year, doesnt mean its ongoing. the cup and league quadrilogy in a fortnight in 1998 will always stand out for me, as anyone who was at them will say.

must have been a novelty for hoops and gypo fans last year to fight over a championship? used to be par for the course in richer and tolka

-------------

Posted By: Gouldinho09
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 7:46pm
There is no long term future for Shelbourne. Im not just being pessimistic like i usually am but we are gone in a few years. There isnt a hope we are gonna go up this season. The budget is reducing every year and with us being out of Tolka next season the budget will be tiny and crowds will dwindle. Nothing lasts forever.

-------------

Posted By: TBWRA
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

must have been a novelty for hoops and gypo fans last year to fight over a championship? used to be par for the course in richer and tolka

well use to it ,we were runners up to them in the 80's

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 8:23pm
every year?? yeah!

of your eleven championships, five were in the formative years of the loi (pre 1935 - pre pats :) ), two in the seventies, four since 2001. you didnt even hit on the richter scale in the 1980s, not a cup ,league cup or nada. not like you were runners up every year!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 8:38pm
eh no tom not every year in the 80s,  thanks for the history lesson though

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 9:03pm
well when in the eighties were you runners up then? if you didnt win a trophy in the entire decade?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 9:07pm
almost like shamrock rovers in the noughties.... (or did they win a league cup? Confused)
pats won fook all in the 80's. barren patch, but we didnt pretend to be hard luck runners up!

-------------

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 2:28am
Yeah doesn't look good at the moment tom. We're defo out of tolka at the end of this season with renting dalyer being the most likely option. Irishtown was muted as u said but we have no money so can't develop/upgrade a site. Very depressing but I don't think we'll be lsl/finished in a couple of years. If we were gonna die as a club it would have happened in 2007 IMO. However paying rent to the gypo's is not the way forward and we'll probably lose support because of it

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 3:45am
its a disgrace when you see a franchaise club in the premier with funding and been full time and a club like shels struggling

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

well when in the eighties were you runners up then? if you didnt win a trophy in the entire decade?

slow down here ,you said it must of been a novelty having a title challenge with Rovers i said no we had numerous run in's in the 80's  ,dont know why your banging on about winning trophies for Geek

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 5:14am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

its a disgrace when you see a franchaise club in the premier with funding and been full time and a club like shels struggling

why ?

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 6:06am
I would be sad to see the end of shels, as Tom said the history between our clubs brings back some great momories and also some not so good.
Most of the shels fans I know say they wont attend home games in dayler or richmond park so if this happens with the majority of supporters how can they survive?

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Posted By: sledgehammer
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 7:40am
Got to agree the future doesn t look bright at all without tolka. And thats not just bad for us its bad for the league, a stadium and a club that has deep history and roots in our league could disaper. Shels still attract good crowds compared to most clubs so thats people and money leaving the league too. We all no financially we fooked up but what an adventure it was. In truth it looks like the dream is over and thats very very sad!

-------------
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing

Posted By: OldBawnHoop
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Chad Warden Chad Warden wrote:

f**k the whole thing anyway, Shels go bust and we suffer greatly. Rovers go bust and they get bailed out and a stadium in Tallaght.

Rovers go bust the fans save the club and we get relegated you t**ser. We worked our way back up in Tolka not Tallaght remember?

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 10:20pm

Thumbs%20Up......

Bitter much?

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 6:22am
Fook sake, what a disaster. Dallyer would be bad enough but Richmond would really affect attendances.

What ever happened to the AUL rumour??

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 9:08am
Originally posted by OldBawnHoop OldBawnHoop wrote:

I predict we will end up playing LSL. f**k the whole thing anyway, Shels go bust and we suffer greatly. Rovers go bust and they get bailed out and a stadium in Tallaght.

Rovers go bust the fans save the club and we get relegated you t**ser. We worked our way back up in Tolka not Tallaght remember?

4%?

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 9:26am

I predict we will end up playing LSL. f**k the whole thing anyway, Shels go bust and we suffer greatly. Rovers go bust and they get bailed out and a stadium in Tallaght.

4%?
Confused

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Posted By: OldBawnHoop
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 9:51am
Ehh

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 1:22pm

Ehh

Didn't expect an answer to be honest.

Posted By: The Big Club
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 2:43pm
I think the 4% chad is refering to is that yyou were only made pay 4% of  your creditors foo, model club my arse.

Posted By: Gouldinho09
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 3:07pm
If everyone copied the "Rovers Model" we would be living in a 3rd world country

-------------

Posted By: c90
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:43pm

-------------
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves

Posted By: Dillonman
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:45pm
the fans need to take a stand against the owners. thats what we did last year and the old owner was eventually forced to hand the club over to the trust and a few private backers.

-------------
We all hate Drog scum.

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by SYLT Number 2 SYLT Number 2 wrote:

You do understand Tolka is also a municipal stadium and you had every opportunity to go into examiniership?

Are we supposed to apologise for running our affairs better?

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by The Big Club The Big Club wrote:

I think the 4% chad is refering to is that yyou were only made pay 4% of  your creditors foo, model club my arse.

Great story. Pity it is total myth. 

But that doesn't get away from the fact that Shels had the chance to go into examinership and chose not to. So they can spare us the whinging now. 

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Dillonman Dillonman wrote:

the fans need to take a stand against the owners. thats what we did last year and the old owner was eventually forced to hand the club over to the trust and a few private backers.

I genuinely don't have a clue who even owns the club at the moment but I'm sure whoever does own it will gladly hand the club and its debt over to a trust. Even the ownership of the lease to Tolka is debatable. 

Posted By: c90
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 11:04pm
RTId, those comments are 2 years old FFS.

-------------
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves

Posted By: skinnymalinx
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 11:31pm
The ONLY way that shels can save themselves is if their hardcore support wrestle their club from the clutches of the current ownership.
The fans have to want to refuse to let their club die a quiet death and merge themselves into an active worthwhile serious group, just like FORAS at cork and 400 club at Rovers before them.
this has got damn all to do with free stadiums or goverment tax benefits.
its has everything to do with Shels hardcore  showing the willingness to save their own club, cos no one else will

-------------
beware the ides of march

Posted By: Dukla
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Originally posted by Dillonman Dillonman wrote:

I genuinely don't have a clue who even owns the club at the moment but I'm sure whoever does own it will gladly hand the club and its debt over to a trust. Even the ownership of the lease to Tolka is debatable. 

One of the supporters trust lads said it's still owned by the Estate of Ollie Byrne.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 12:21am
The fact that there is any question at all is ominous. Go and find out, CRO records are a fiver. If it is complicated, there has to be one fan who is a solicitor or accountant. 

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 8:14pm
Shelbourne are one of the oldest Clubs in Ireland. No way should they be ever let die. Ben Hannnigan, Eric Barber, Joe Wilson. Great players remember listening to the late Philip Greene on Radio covering thier European games way back in the 1960s. Drumcondra among others have gone but surely the real Dubs will save Shels? 

-------------
alive and kicking

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 8:40pm
Taken over by Coerver.
Coerver Shels FC.

Posted By: Peake
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Taken over by Coerver.
Coerver Shels FC.

LOLLOLLOL

The 1895 Trust is the future of Shelbourne Football Club. The Coerver deal sounds great, it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Looking back at the posts from 3 years ago, have to ask you Tom, are you or any other Pats fans worried your clubs future? You quoted Richer being worth 15 million in the opening post, I would imagine that figure has dropped significantly.

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 9:37am

Taken over by Coerver.
Coerver Shels FC.

Wonder what MayoMarks opinion is on this!!

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 5:48pm
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/10104/" rel="nofollow - http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/10104/

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:32pm
Merge Bohs and Shels together... North Liffey Rangers or something like that has an iteresting ting to it! Big smile

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

If everyone copied the "Rovers Model" we would be living in a 3rd world country

prophetic words about the country indeed

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Peake Peake wrote:

Taken over by Coerver.
Coerver Shels FC.

LOLLOLLOL

The 1895 Trust is the future of Shelbourne Football Club. The Coerver deal sounds great, it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Looking back at the posts from 3 years ago, have to ask you Tom, are you or any other Pats fans worried your clubs future? You quoted Richer being worth 15 million in the opening post, I would imagine that figure has dropped significantly.

genuinely not one bit worried. crowds are the same as they ever were, still the same potential as we ever had, and the fact we dont tend to follow the boom bust cycles of other clubs, we tend to be consistently mediocre

-------------

Posted By: billykid
Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 4:01am
Coerver at Shels will be  top class, have attended a few coerver sessions at NDSL and all were 100% quality, far better than anything with FAI, new, inventive, players loved it as did all coaches. Paul fogarty at Shels has done great job bringing coerver into club.

Date Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by billykid billykid wrote:

Coerver at Shels will be  top class, have attended a few coerver sessions at NDSL and all were 100% quality, far better than anything with FAI, new, inventive, players loved it as did all coaches. Paul fogarty at Shels has done great job bringing coerver into club.

Paul Clap Shels Clap

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 13 May 2013 at 10:38pm
clubs supporters issue a statement tonight demanding Alan Mathews give up his role as manager

Posted By: Na Firinne
Date Posted: 13 May 2013 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px;">clubs supporters issue a statement tonight demanding Alan Mathews give up his role as manager</span>

All 100 of them?

-------------
Ireland's Number 1!!

Date Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:05am
Mathews has taken to twitter Clap
http://twitter.com/DefoRealMathews" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/DefoRealMathews

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:58am
what a sad bastard to whoever set that up.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:09am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

what a sad bastard to whoever set that up.

+1 gags aren't even funny. Matthews tainted his name with the Drogs in that second season, but I will never forget the job he did after we got about of our financial demise.

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:06pm
His 57 followers include Ger O'Brien and Eric Foley.

Did he manage Foley?

Date Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

His 57 followers include Ger O'Brien and Eric Foley.

Did he manage Foley?

Yeah.

Date Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Mathews has taken to twitter Clap
http://twitter.com/DefoRealMathews" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/DefoRealMathews

LOLClap

In all seriousness, the vast majority of Shels fans want him to piss off.

http://www.redsindependent.com/a-statement-from-reds-independent-13-may-2013/" rel="nofollow - http://www.redsindependent.com/a-statement-from-reds-independent-13-may-2013/
There's the RI statement.

Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 5:13pm
Mathews is gone
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=2509" rel="nofollow - http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=2509

Rafa for Shels Clap

Posted By: saintjoey
Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 5:24pm
After the latest revelations I'll settle for 0-3 tomorrow

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 5:25pm
Dave Bassett is surely the man for the job I'd have thought LD

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 5:26pm
Great Big smile

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 5:37pm
So is Roddy gonna get the gig?

Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Dave Bassett is surely the man for the job I'd have thought LD

He's nailed on for Chelsea. You heard it here first Shocked

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 5:48pm
Bumper crowd tomorrow night! Might make my tolka debut

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 6:11pm
Thanks alan for the cup final day out some session in the regency hotel , promotion after 5 years (something keely couldn't bring us) and survival last season. But you're time has come good luck SmileSmile

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: brissy
Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 7:14pm
Don,t think another manager would do any better.

Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 11:04pm
My mole who I work with and is a Shels fan, just text me saying that Shels are going to rescue Sean Connor from his African hell hole. He has just been through a physical and will be giving the gig as soon as the results of his Aids test come back postive.

Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 11:07pm
Q Man always on the money. Mr LOI Clap

Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by brissy brissy wrote:

Don,t think another manager would do any better.

Can't possibly do any worse than he did

Date Posted: 17 May 2013 at 12:32am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Thanks alan for the cup final day out some session in the regency hotel , promotion after 5 years (something keely couldn't bring us) and survival last season. But you're time has come good luck SmileSmile

Mathews finished in the exact same position as Keely with a much bigger budget. We had a big budget as well last year, something which he pissed away and should not be congratulated for keeping us up with.

Delighted to see the back of him and hopefully this is the end of his managerial career.

Posted By: Nah Nah Nah Nah
Date Posted: 17 May 2013 at 9:12am
He'll be able to spend more time with the people he loves now. Wacthing them in Tallaght.

Date Posted: 18 May 2013 at 6:16pm
My mole informed at half time last night, that Duleek Fc Duo, Dave Rodgers and Tony Grant are been linked with the vacant managers job at Tolka Park.

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 8:58am
Rocky O'Brien expected to be announced within 48 hours with Ashley Grimes as his number two / New Club Hairdresser.

Date Posted: 24 May 2013 at 2:57pm
Johnny Mac has gotten the gig
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=2514" rel="nofollow - http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=2514

Date Posted: 24 May 2013 at 3:32pm
Nice one Thumbs Up

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 25 May 2013 at 5:18pm
have alot of time for johnny mc. i think he did better at pats when there was no money before special k came in. so, yis will be grand!!

-------------
cup champions

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 1:03am
An article from the Baltimore Ravens website about Shelbourne v Sligo.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Similarity-In-All-Fans---Wherever-In-The-World/f967b9ff-3a69-4a87-ab2a-988f653f3ffc" rel="nofollow - http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Similarity-In-All-Fans---Wherever-In-The-World/f967b9ff-3a69-4a87-ab2a-988f653f3ffc

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 8:44am
"A sporting Taj Mahal it is not"................Big smile

The final two paragraphs of the piece really articulate what it is to be a LOI fan..............

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 11:24am
haha great to see johnny back , think i will cheer for shels now ,

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 11:25am
"its like the matrix , its just like numbers flashing up and down but i look out on the pitch and i can make sense of it " Thumbs UpLOL

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 11:04pm
I'm hopefully starting work with the FAI from January on, strongly thinking about hitting Tolka Park as often as i can after work! Iv'e always had a soft spot for Shels, since the days of Stephen Geoghegan, Dessie Baker, Sheridan, Gough etc. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 11:56pm
Come on down GD. I can meet ya for a beer in the ground before the 1st game

Football friends

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 12:01am
Cheap pints in the tolka bar

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 11:26am
That will make three of you!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 1:21pm
@Gaz, it's only in the pipe line at the moment mate as i'm waiting for word back on the job, but yeah i see no reason why i couldn't make a few games a season regardless. 

@Vinnie, cheap pints and football? Match made in heaven Clap

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 3:50pm
Very tempted to hit Tallaght Stadium on Sunday the 20th of July to see Shels for the first time!

-------------

Posted By: starryplough
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 1:38pm
Longford now top after beating Shels 3-0 Clap

-------------
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net