Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=13449
Printed Date: 20 May 2024 at 5:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Are we all alcoholics...?
Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Subject: Are we all alcoholics...?
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:11am
In light of our newly formed YBIG AA club, I thought it would be fitting to see how much we really drink on average.

Those not drinking pints, substitute with wine, whiskey, vodka etc. And for those that drink half-pints...fook off ya big sissy!

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Replies:
Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:13am
Really does depend week on week, but I started with 11-15 just so I dont look like a complete lout.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:14am
I dont drink anymore.....but i dont drink any less either!!Big%20smile

Posted By: peterIreland
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:14am

I have a problem!!!

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:18am
Did a 21-25 myself. Fri & Sat are 5-6 easy, and during week 1 or 2 bottles in the house when the football is one etc. Plus, workin in a pub doesnt help that much either!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:21am
See the thing is I am not sure how many units a double vodka would be, if they are a lot then I am f**ked, cos I never know how many I have had.

For example, out last thursday with work and had a sh*t load of free gargle and this fella I work with was legless and he was still telling me on Monday how many we had in different pubs, in fairness how the fook does he remember? And I was actually alright Wink and remember fook all Confused

Strange one.

Memory always goes once I have the 6, I am just on auto pilot after that and memory is goneskis.

Posted By: durka durka
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:23am
Mine is hard to measure, i dont drink anything for 9 weeks at a time. Then i get 2 weeks holidays, where i party like a rock star Big%20smile

-------------
"Insert Funny Comment"

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:24am
Originally posted by padraigh padraigh wrote:

Mine is hard to measure, i dont drink anything for 9 weeks at a time. Then i get 2 weeks holidays, where i party like a rock star Big%20smile

Pretty sure there is a smart comment in there somewhere! Embarrassed

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:25am

i tend to go on sessions , dotn drink for weeks then go GAGA

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Pretty sure there is a smart comment in there somewhere! Embarrassed
LOLLOLLOL

-------------
"Insert Funny Comment"

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:35am
Pints on a Friday or Saturday, occasionally both and a few glasses of wine or cans during the week.  Wine watching a movie, cans watching a match.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:45am
Usually limit to Friday and Sat, unless away with the YBIG crew, in which case tis limited to how many days we are on hols.......

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:46am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Usually limit to Friday and Sat, unless away with the YBIG crew, in which case tis limited to how many days we are on hols.......
and if ya can get into Harveys or not

-------------
"Insert Funny Comment"

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:49am

and if ya can get into Harveys or not

Ha, I can always get in no bother, often left it in a state alrightLOL

-------------

Posted By: Chopper 76
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 7:10am
a few cans frday and saturday night nothin mental anymore

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 7:24am
normally would only booze on a Saturday night as i have a match each Saturday which keeps me outta trouble on Fridays..the odd midweek sneaky pint and hate boozing on a Sunday..

so 11-15 would defo be me..

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: The_Yank
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 8:10am
Like Sono says, it depends.  Average week or if things are going on.  Also, if i'm on holiday or not.

If I am on the whiskey at least a half bottle on a night out is no prob.
Pints at least 5 or 6 a sess.

-------------
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down

Posted By: billybunter
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 8:39am
21-25 "units" for me. Try not to touch a drop during the week. 7-8 bottles or cans on a friday night with 2-3 jack and cokes. Saturday about the same, and while I used to avoid drinking on sunday's - it has now become just another saturday as far as alcohol consumption is concerned. I always try to give the gargle a break for the month of January (per my parole officer's guidance)

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 8:40am
21+ easy if im out friday and saturday

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 8:44am
Pioneer!Smile

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:03am
Depends. On a full days drinking on a saturday with a night out you are probably talking the equalivlant of 20 pints (if you subsitute pints with Vodka you move onto). So if there is a Friday or Sunday session involved too you could be talking 30 easy and if both you are looking at 40+. Then you might also have a midweek cans session. I would say I am border line alco when I do go on the drink cause I can't stop. Actually went on a session 2 weekends ago when I didn't even call into work until Wednesday and had to take the whole week off sick. Say I drank about 100 pints in that session.
Would say on average about 25.
But then I can have weekends like the one just gone when I don't drink at all, that was the first in a long time though.

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:19am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Depends. On a full days drinking on a saturday with a night out you are probably talking the equalivlant of 20 pints (if you subsitute pints with Vodka you move onto). So if there is a Friday or Sunday session involved too you could be talking 30 easy and if both you are looking at 40+. Then you might also have a midweek cans session. I would say I am border line alco when I do go on the drink cause I can't stop. Actually went on a session 2 weekends ago when I didn't even call into work until Wednesday and had to take the whole week off sick. Say I drank about 100 pints in that session.
But then I can have weekends like the one just gone when I don't drink at all, that was the first in a long time though.

"border line"..............I'd say that was a very wide line Andy!Wink

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: GreenTribe
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:23am
usually end up drinking lots on away games. Not drinking as much nowadays as i really can't cope with the hangovers anymore. Once you hit 30, hangovers are a nightmare i think.
Never drink during week - can't face hangover in work. Dead

-------------
I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:25am
It's tough to put a number on it allright. Any awaytrip is at least 20+ per day of pints. Add your shots and spirits onto that and you basically reach the number average people drink in 1 month....Reckon Dr. Phil would have a fieldday in Ireland on any particular session LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Well have been times when I feel I have hit rock bottom and I totally fail the AA questionarie to determine if you are an alco, think I only answer 2c correctly out of 20 but if you answer more than 3 you have a drink problem but I think most people fail that. Do have family concerned and partners and friends have said it before, but it's also so much fun too.
I can also take a couple of weekends off like the weekend just gone I didn't drink, well I had about 7 watching the match on Sunday but that was just an afternoon session and was home in all for X factor final.
Dying for a gargle now though after being off it for a week. Was just e-mailing a friend saying I might get bottles and watch the Spurs v City match tonight.

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:53am

Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Well have been times when I feel I have hit rock bottom and I totally fail the AA questionarie to determine if you are an alco, think I only answer 2c correctly out of 20 but if you answer more than 3 you have a drink problem but I think most people fail that. Do have family concerned and partners and friends have said it before, but it's also so much fun too.
I can also take a couple of weekends off like the weekend just gone I didn't drink, well I had about 7 watching the match on Sunday but that was just an afternoon session and was home in all for X factor final.
Dying for a gargle now though after being off it for a week. Was just e-mailing a friend saying I might get bottles and watch the Spurs v City match tonight.

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 11:23am
19 cases of Stella in the household for Xmas, (should do me until Easter mind you)

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Gavintheslob
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 11:38am

at the weekend when i drink i go on like something out of a zoo none of thiis half arse sh*t a couple of pints I go too get as drunk as possible in the few hours i can

-------------
Its very frustrating being a Slob

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 11:40am
I'm not an alcoholic. I'm Irish........there's a difference!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Gavintheslob Gavintheslob wrote:

at the weekend when i drink i go on like something out of a zoo none of thiis half arse sh*t a couple of pints I go too get as drunk as possible in the few hours i can

Biggest p**s head I know by a mile!!!

Posted By: uibhfhaili
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 12:37pm
Self-diagnosed alcohol dependent.
If I stay in or abstain from drink for one night in a week I'd consider myself to be doing well.
It's fookin' ridiculous at this stage.
As above,I'm beyond addiction and onto pure dependence.
Whats more,is that it's seen as some sort of skill or achievement to be able to drink silly amounts of gargle.
Major culture change is needed.

-------------
As long as there is anything to be gained by saying nothing, it is always better to say nothing than anything

Posted By: Mafi Mushkila
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 3:22pm
I'd say easily the more option for me Tongue LOL

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 3:27pm
a pint is two units lads,

one night out a week at the ten pints plus mark, another one with maybe 5 pints.

an away trip could be as much as 20 pints a day but who is counting?

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 3:33pm
its very much a cultural thing in ireland though. went out with family at the weekend and we all had a great day on the booze, work christmas do on friday was a heap of booze. last wednesday met another friend and had 7 pints. also, there is a serious lads drinking culture in the office. i drink two nights on a normal week (always one midweek and friday) but december is exceptional. have had six work related functions since 1st december

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

a pint is two units lads,

one night out a week at the ten pints plus mark, another one with maybe 5 pints.

an away trip could be as much as 20 pints a day but who is counting?
A pint is two??

Well that just bumped me up them

-------------

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:01pm
to answer the initial question, as i sit with me bottle of free wine from work and The Clancy brothers finest playing...I'd say yes.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 10:31am
Whats the best cure for a hangover need one quick?

It cant involve me drinking Confused

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 10:44am
Unfortunately there does not seem to be any short term fix apart from more drink. although they say that makes it worse when you finally do come off it 

Bacon is supposed to be good too. I usually go for the more drink option. Wind yourself off it by just drinking slow so not getting pissed but fighting off the hangover and then finally fall alseep

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 10:46am
Jagermeister! One shot does the trick every time!!

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

This always works for me but i cant even move out of bed to have a drink. Im going to make a rasher sambo and see how i get on.

Posted By: greenarmy
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 10:54am
Best hangover cure 2/3 cups of strong tea Thumbs%20Up 

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 10:56am
Originally posted by sasa123 sasa123 wrote:

This always works for me but i cant even move out of bed to have a drink. Im going to make a rasher sambo and see how i get on.

In a study that surprises nobody who's http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/awww_bizkit_the_sleepwalking_d.php - woken up still Tyrannosaurus Wrecked from the night before in a puddle of http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/surprisingly_doesnt_work_payin.php - someone else's urine and eaten http://www.geekologie.com/2009/04/breakfast_of_the_ancients_baco.php - the breakfast of gods , scientists have discovered bacon really does cure a hangover.

"Bread is high in carbohydrates and bacon is full of protein, which breaks down into amino acids. Your body needs these amino acids, so eating them will make you feel good."

"Bingeing on alcohol depletes neurotransmitters too, but bacon contains a high level of aminos which tops these up, giving you a clearer head."

Researchers also found a complex chemical interaction in the cooking of bacon produces the winning combination of taste and smell which is almost irresistible.

As a matter of fact, I remember reading somewhere in the Bible that the Apostles would all fry camel (a close relative of the pig, don't bother looking this up) after a night of boozing. So, yeah -- bacon: it's what Jesus would do.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 11:05am

In a study that surprises nobody who's http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/awww_bizkit_the_sleepwalking_d.php - woken up still Tyrannosaurus Wrecked from the night before in a puddle of http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/surprisingly_doesnt_work_payin.php - someone else's urine and eaten http://www.geekologie.com/2009/04/breakfast_of_the_ancients_baco.php - the breakfast of gods , scientists have discovered bacon really does cure a hangover.

"Bread is high in carbohydrates and bacon is full of protein, which breaks down into amino acids. Your body needs these amino acids, so eating them will make you feel good."

"Bingeing on alcohol depletes neurotransmitters too, but bacon contains a high level of aminos which tops these up, giving you a clearer head."

Researchers also found a complex chemical interaction in the cooking of bacon produces the winning combination of taste and smell which is almost irresistible.

As a matter of fact, I remember reading somewhere in the Bible that the Apostles would all fry camel (a close relative of the pig, don't bother looking this up) after a night of boozing. So, yeah -- bacon: it's what Jesus would do.

Well if thats the case ill be ok Big%20smile

thanks Andy Big%20smile

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 11:06am
Can of Coke and a Silk Cut. Can't go wrong..............

-------------

Posted By: Gouldinho09
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 11:08am
Vitamin C is the best cure and eat pasta

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 11:15am

just had a smoke and it was the worst thing ive ever done but i know ill just do it again in a while!!1

all these idea's are going to have to be attempted i think as i am f**king dying but gonna have to wait for my mam to come home so she can make me all the stuff LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Anyone ever hear ice cream was good?

Posted By: magnumpi
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 11:16am
the belgians say standing out in the rain.

i'd go with a fry tho.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 11:21am
Since you can't get to Jager (or out of bed!) I'd recommend a banana, strong coffee and cheese and onion crisps! Plenty of sugar and caffeine!!

-------------

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 11:24am

just had a smoke and it was the worst thing ive ever done but i know ill just do it again in a while!!1

all these idea's are going to have to be attempted i think as i am f**king dying but gonna have to wait for my mam to come home so she can make me all the stuff LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Anyone ever hear ice cream was good?

ice cream is defo good..settles the stomach and makes u feel betterThumbs%20Up

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 11:38am
ok i managed to get out of bed and got a bowl of ice cream and i also ordered chipper so fingers crossed have to be on top form for tomorrow night Big%20smile

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 11:58am
Hope it cures ya sasa. Nothing worse than the mother of all hangovers!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 12:00pm

Thanks. Yeah got f**k all sleep and drank far to much but I dont mind because it was a good night even if I did have to sit and listen to that idiot George Murphy singing all night Thumbs%20Down

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 12:08pm

Thanks. Yeah got f**k all sleep and drank far to much but I dont mind because it was a good night even if I did have to sit and listen to that idiot George Murphy singing all night Thumbs%20Down
Excuse me ignorance but who???

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 1:27pm
Need to change my vote.

6 pints last night and 4 measures of whiskey. Still have the whole weekend ahead of me... might bump me up to the 16-20 (at least)

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 1:37pm

Remember that idiot who was on the irish your a star thing and he thought he was luke kelly well i was in temple bar last nite in a pub and he was playing....... loved the songs but just not him

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 1:50pm
The session begins in 20 minutes or so. And don't have to see my bird til Sunday. Could be messy

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 2:04pm

Remember that idiot who was on the irish your a star thing and he thought he was luke kelly well i was in temple bar last nite in a pub and he was playing....... loved the songs but just not him
Oh yeah! Seen that muppet opening for Madness in the Point a couple of years back. Wrecked everyones heads!!

-------------

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 02 May 2022 at 10:50pm
Has anyone ever heard of Moderation Management, as an alternative to AA and their abstinence approach to beating alcoholism?

Are there any specialists, or meetings, in Dublin? I've tried searching via Google but can only find a therapist in Cork.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net