Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=12861
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anxiety
Posted By: hulkhogan
Subject: Anxiety
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:04pm
Cry This is not a pisstake. Anyone on here ever had this, seriously?? I'm going to meetings and councelling and sh*t for it now and everything. I was told the Swine flu outbreak triggered it.

cant't sleep at night, keep thinking ive got something wrong with me even though I've been to numerous different doctors, so much thoughts running through the brain. Even in Paris I was gettin stupid thoughts. Absoloutely f**kin headwrecking I must say.

Anyone here ever have this and how do you cope?

Replies:
Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:06pm
as in depression?

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:09pm
can you get medication hulk?

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:12pm

Rescue remedy, swear by it. Got me through my finals

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-LbQS4kemFU/Suh5y_8lkuI/AAAAAAAAENo/WyE5-NeL7Ag/s400/BachRescueRemedy10ml.jpg -

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:14pm
No lads I am not depressed or anything like that, should have probably stated that, just constantly think somethings gonna happen to me. Doctor disnt wanna give me medication yet Count but I think i might try that Rescue Remedy above.

Posted By: billybunter
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:16pm
you're not just talking the comedown effects from a drinking session, right? - you are anxious all the time now?

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:18pm
Yeah I would stay away from medication esp for somethiling like anxiety. Medication is a chemical solution to a chemical problem.  Here the problem seems to me more cognitive so your solution will have to be cognitive. 

Couple of things, avoid alchol for a while,  try to excersise a good bit if you can as he gets rid of adrenaline and off if you have too much of it, and it has no where to go it turns into anxiety. 

Also try to eat well and get plenty of sleep.  So thats a starters, but also try looking into maybe seeing a counsellor that you can trust and you are comfortable with, and if they are doing their job they will explain its totally natural and give you the physical explanation as well as the mental one behind the issue you are having. 

Best of luck with it. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Chopper 76
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:19pm
did you have any panic attacks?

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:20pm
http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic100324.html - http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic100324.html

similar to this?

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:22pm
Research also a thing called fight or flight.  Put it into google. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Gouldinho09
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:22pm
*Serious Question*

Do you take cocaine, Ecstasy or any other type of "high" drugs?

Back in his younger wilder days Gouldinho used to experiment a lot and then when anything stressful came up i would freak out n sh*t. When i fell out of that scene i became the chillaxed individual i still am today. Similar to Dave Wooderson in dazed and confused

Posted By: Daz
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by billybunter billybunter wrote:

you're not just talking the comedown effects from a drinking session, right? - you are anxious all the time now?

ive noticed i have been a bit more anxious with swine flu and the floods

does it remind you of anything in the past

dunno the exact qoute

but didnt god send floods and illness when he was displeased Cry

-------------
YBIG - Where everyone is a fooking expert :)

Posted By: Chopper 76
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

*Serious Question*

Do you take cocaine, Ecstasy or any other type of "high" drugs?

Back in his younger wilder days Gouldinho used to experiment a lot and then when anything stressful came up i would freak out n sh*t. When i fell out of that scene i became the chillaxed individual i still am today. Similar to Dave Wooderson in dazed and confused

I used to know a chap like that too .. years agoEmbarrassed

Posted By: SYLT Number 2
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:28pm
Just chill man.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:30pm
I've had it for a while now, not a drink comedown, no. Dont take cocaine ecstasy or anything like that. Ive had 2 panic attacks-horrible. My anxiety aint as bad as that fella in the forum linked. Ill also have a look at flight or fight. At leaset counsellings strted now and im able to get stuff off my chest.

Can I just say what a sound bunch of lads we have on this forum-pms flying all over the shop and everything.

Cheers Clap

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 5:52am
Exercise and meditation should help you son.
Experts say (nice cliche) we should all practise at least 10 mins a day meditation

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 11:54am
best of luck with it hulkThumbs%20Up

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 12:02pm
Best wishes hulk

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 9:28pm
Just seeing the amount of people that suffer or have suffered with depression on the forum, just curious to see if many or anyone else suffer from anxiety?

After getting a terrible dose of it again over the weekend, mind plays tricks on me and it's horrible.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:01pm
Care to elaborate a little GD? Mind plays tricks how?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:03pm
GD as has been said diet and exercise help massively....certainly for me...alcohol dulls but ultimately makes things worse for a period
Laughter is the best tonic

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Basically, my mind can sometimes try to trick me into thinking or believing something I haven't even thought about or done.

I could know full well in my mind that I didn't think or say something but yet with anxiety it will try drag me down or trick me into thinking awful.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

GD as has been said diet and exercise help massively....certainly for me...alcohol dulls but ultimately makes things worse for a period
Laughter is the best tonic

No better man for the laughter anyway in your case SH

Yeah, I just can't get over how surprised I am with how my mind can think at times, life was great up until Sunday morning! Yet here I am trying to convince my mind I didn't have bad thoughts, it's so frustrating at times.

-------------

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:26pm
Suffer from it myself. Can get worked up over simple things such as lodging money in a bank or ordering something from a deli. It sometimes would manifest itself into paranoia, such as I'd lock the door of my apartment and be walking to college or town but suddenly ask myself did I actually lock the door or did I leave something on? I would agonise over going back to check or just making sure I got to class on time but it would plague my mind until I got back when all would be grand.

I know it doesn't help when I'm feeling depressed cause it would stifle any motivation to go out and interact with anyone or do anything.

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:28pm
Yes would suffer from this more than depression. Not as bad as I use to get . Was mainly inflicted by over use of gargle and substances.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:29pm
Yep, get regular anxiety attacks, well used to haven't had one for awhile, definitely linked to my depression which I've been working on so perhaps reason I haven't had one in awhile.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Suffer from it myself. Can get worked up over simple things such as lodging money in a bank or ordering something from a deli. It sometimes would manifest itself into paranoia, such as I'd lock the door of my apartment and be walking to college or town but suddenly ask myself did I actually lock the door or did I leave something on? I would agonise over going back to check or just making sure I got to class on time but it would plague my mind until I got back when all would be grand.

I know it doesn't help when I'm feeling depressed cause it would stifle any motivation to go out and interact with anyone or do anything.

I can relate to your issues judging from what you've said in regard to a locked door or lodging money into the bank, but mine is more so the mind trying to trick me into feeling low or worrying about stupid things that probably didn't happen or won't happen.

Feel as low as can be right now, over worrying about something that never happened. Its crazy how the mind works!

-------------

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

I can relate to your issues judging from what you've said in regard to a locked door or lodging money into the bank, but mine is more so the mind trying to trick me into feeling low or worrying about stupid things that probably didn't happen or won't happen.

Feel as low as can be right now, over worrying about something that never happened. Its crazy how the mind works!

Absolutely agree with feeling low, that would happen to me too. In my case, I wouldn't know if my self esteem is directly a result of anxiety or depression so I'm reluctant to say I would suffer depression.

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Yes would suffer from this more than depression. Not as bad as I use to get . Was mainly inflicted by over use of gargle and substances.

I would be the same as that after a big session I would be paranoid as f**k but I think what the lads are talking about would be different.I presumed it was DT's.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:14pm
I've had a long history of it myself, I'm not open about these things but it's why I binge alot - People would argue it's very counter-productive but I always look towards the upsides of it.

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:25pm
My Dad suffers from this, constantly thinking the worst but doesn't want to take medication. Gets really stressed as well.

Posted By: winner alright
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:37pm
St Johns Wort really helps & it is natural. Anxiety is a bastard for sure & it seems more & more young people suffer from it now. Suffer from it terribly at times but St Johns Wort I found is the best for it,for me anyways.   I did diet,excercise & even medication but it will still attack at any time. Growing up I used to think it was some middle-class thing but it's not it affects everyone! I wish the poster well on this & think about trying the Wort.  worth a try.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:40pm

Basically, my mind can sometimes try to trick me into thinking or believing something I haven't even thought about or done.

I could know full well in my mind that I didn't think or say something but yet with anxiety it will try drag me down or trick me into thinking awful.

Sorting out ones thoughts is hard at the best of times. 

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:09am
Often think I have f**ked up on a night out. Be so paro to face the people again thinking that they will remember and judge me. But nearly every time its just in me head and people don't remember

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:15am
You mean you get the fear?

Happens to the best of us.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:32am
Basically my mind will allow thoughts that aren't even my own into my head randomly, more often than not thoughts that bring me down or can cause stress.

I rarely drink anymore either so it's pretty hard to blame alcohol.

To explain my condition a bit more in detail here is an example of what I go through regularly.

I could say "John is a sound chap" to a mate, yet in my head a few hours later my mind could think back and try to trick myself into saying I called "John, a dickhead"

-------------

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:56am
I get it regarding my financial position pretty often. I constantly worry about never being able to buy a house, car or when I eventually have kids, not being able to provide for them. I constantly class myself as "being broke" yet I'm financially stable and totally independent yet my mind sometimes doesn't allow me to think that. If I buy myself new clothes or have a night out, I'm wracked by guilt the following day or even in the hours after the event. 

Since I've been in Canada, I'm also getting pretty bad attacks about "running out of time" regarding my path in life. Basically, I've just turned 29 and want to get into full time coaching but fear that I've left it too late to start my badges and that I'll never do what I want to do. Of course I know this is nonsense but I do get sleepless nights thinking about how I'm gonna get to where I wanna go. If I do have to return home (my residency application is in the air at the minute) I fear how people will look at me for coming home. Keep having a sense of failure if I do have to go back at the age of 30 with no trade or degree. 

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 1:14am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

You mean you get the fear?

Happens to the best of us.

Yeah I would more associate it with the fear. Although one time it kept me out of work a few days after a particular bad one so I had to go doctor for a cert. the doctor note I got said anxiety. Suppose the German boss woulnt know what the f**k if it had DTs or THE FEAR

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 6:19am

Just seeing the amount of people that suffer or have suffered with depression on the forum, just curious to see if many or anyone else suffer from anxiety?

After getting a terrible dose of it again over the weekend, mind plays tricks on me and it's horrible.

I hope you are okay bud.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 9:30am

Basically my mind will allow thoughts that aren't even my own into my head randomly, more often than not thoughts that bring me down or can cause stress.

I rarely drink anymore either so it's pretty hard to blame alcohol.

To explain my condition a bit more in detail here is an example of what I go through regularly.

I could say "John is a sound chap" to a mate, yet in my head a few hours later my mind could think back and try to trick myself into saying I called "John, a dickhead"

Delaney?

Sure he's a dickhead, everyone knows that

Posted By: sledgehammer
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:11pm
Got this after the away trip to Scotland. Had got a bad case of the fear after the previous few away match/ stag heavy sessions, this isn't helped by intolerance to wheat which means I should never drink and results in bad night sweats an skin rashes. That "fear" resulted in nights of no sleep so before Scotland, my anxiety really built about it happening again.

I came home and straight away worried myself into a frenzy this culminated in my first panic attack. A very scary experience and ended up with me heading to a GP where a low dose benzo got me some sleep and I came straight out of it. I am lucky enough to have never felt depressed at any times and genuinely am very happy with my life. So in that I can definitely see a clear distinction between depression and anxiety.

It is clear that my anxiety is centred around Alcohol so for me it's easy to avoid. I have only experienced with once more since Scotland it wasn't half as bad but again was after a night out. I have talked to numerous people about it since and it's amazing how many people have experienced it it live with it constantly. I found talking about it helped a lot. A lot of people I have talked to also recommended Cognitive behavioural therapy which is becoming more and more the most preferential treatment given by professionals. My advice to anyone from my small experience would be to talk about it and try your best to seek the triggers that cause it

-------------
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing

Posted By: forza trapp
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 1:19pm
Guys, its important you take control of anxiety before it takes control of you. I made the mistake of not dealing with it and I can honestly say I prob did not progress socially or workwise for 10 years. I let it get to the stage where I would not fly or even get on a train or bus.

My advice would be to get help, personally I found the GP had no intrest, counselling and mindfulness worked for me.

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 1:58pm
Lads, could write a book about this and did actually write my thesis on it - Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder - and the one over-arching piece of advice I'd leave you is to arm yourself with knowledge if you find yourself experiencing panic attacks. Once you know the ins and outs, basic tenets and mechanisms of a panic attack, they lose a massive amount of their charge and then stop self-propagating themselves. Also bear in mind that NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND has ever died from a panic attack. I remember them well and they sure as fck made you feel like you were dying. As mentioned above, mindfulness and counselling are great places to start too and another thing, it never hurts to keep a small paper bag on your person Wink Breathing exercises are well worth looking in to also.

If you go to a doctor about this, there's a fair chance they'll lash you on meds. It's their M.O. Dr's just love to chuck pills at these things, in my experience. My thoughts on this?? Using SSRI's or sedatives to treat panic disorder (if not having a co-morbidity with depression) is akin to using a sledgehammer to press in a thumb tack. As I said above, read up on them and then read up on them some more.

It's years now since I went through this and take it from me, the solution to your anxiety/panic is there somewhere, it's just that it varies from person to person as to what'll work best.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
Ok seems weird after yesterday saying I haven't had an anxiety attack in a while that I had one today which is more through my own weird paranoia and probably not happening.

The hr person who I talk to had a half day today and the other day I got an update on LinkedIn that she had become connections with a recruitment manager so my panic evolved around is she leaving ?? who am I going to talk to if she does?
And am I being selfish that I don't want her to go?
Am I the reason she is going?

Should I bring it up and how with out sounding again weird and paranoid but

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Lads, could write a book about this and did actually write my thesis on it - Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder - and the one over-arching piece of advice I'd leave you is to arm yourself with knowledge if you find yourself experiencing panic attacks. Once you know the ins and outs, basic tenets and mechanisms of a panic attack, they lose a massive amount of their charge and then stop self-propagating themselves. Also bear in mind that NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND has ever died from a panic attack. I remember them well and they sure as fck made you feel like you were dying. As mentioned above, mindfulness and counselling are great places to start too and another thing, it never hurts to keep a small paper bag on your person Wink Breathing exercises are well worth looking in to also.

If you go to a doctor about this, there's a fair chance they'll lash you on meds. It's their M.O. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Dr's just love to chuck pills at these things, in my experience. </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">My thoughts on this?? Using SSRI's or sedatives to treat panic disorder (if not having a co-morbidity with depression) is akin to using a sledgehammer to press in a thumb tack. As I said above, read up on them and then read up on them some more.</span>

It's years now since I went through this and take it from me, the solution to your anxiety/panic is there somewhere, it's just that it varies from person to person as to what'll work best.

Nasty fukers are panic attacks and while it's years since I had one, good ould anxiety still rears its ugly head from time to time.
Agree with Heighway, knowledge is absolute key. Self help books work. They may not work for everyone, but you will find something that will
Read, read, read

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 7:19pm
Just spotted an article on Irish Times Facebook page about anxiety.
You may want to take a look.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:12pm
Went to counselling before, reckon I'll be back at it next week!

Having a very bad week tbh! Mind is racing no end over f**king nothing Sickening how bad its gotten...

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:15pm
You have ocd GD.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Since I've been in Canada, I'm also getting pretty bad attacks about "running out of time" regarding my path in life. Basically, I've just turned 29 and want to get into full time coaching but fear that I've left it too late to start my badges and that I'll never do what I want to do. Of course I know this is nonsense but I do get sleepless nights thinking about how I'm gonna get to where I wanna go. If I do have to return home (my residency application is in the air at the minute) I fear how people will look at me for coming home. Keep having a sense of failure if I do have to go back at the age of 30 with no trade or degree. 

Ask anyone in their 40's and they'll tell you that you've plenty of time ahead of you. You're never too old to chase your dream, unless you have kids, a house etc. I reckon I went through my mid life crisis in my early 20's because I wasn't happy with the direction I was heading 'career wise'. It was more just the anxiety of feeling like I should be doing more with my life than I was.

Was only after I realised what I wanted to do and how I'd achieve it that these feelings went. It wasn't full blown anxiety more of a self esteem issue which created an anxious feeling. You'll find your own way and will look back in a few years and think what were you worried about

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

I get it regarding my financial position pretty often. I constantly worry about never being able to buy a house, car or when I eventually have kids, not being able to provide for them. I constantly class myself as "being broke" yet I'm financially stable and totally independent yet my mind sometimes doesn't allow me to think that. If I buy myself new clothes or have a night out, I'm wracked by guilt the following day or even in the hours after the event. 

only got me sh*t together the last 5 years id say , before that i treaded water for years , 
not too late at all but make some kind of plan for yourself 
make one for if you go home and make one for if you stay, set a few goals eg. courses, roles for the next year or three... 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:39pm
Roger has come a long way since he was a low life thief

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Ok seems weird after yesterday saying I haven't had an anxiety attack in a while that I had one today which is more through my own weird paranoia and probably not happening.

The hr person who I talk to had a half day today and the other day I got an update on LinkedIn that she had become connections with a recruitment manager so my panic evolved around is she leaving ?? who am I going to talk to if she does?

You're really over thinking things LB. LinkedIn is all about connecting with others from similar fields and HR and recruitment go hand in hand. Coincidence I am sure.

But if I were you (I know how highly you regard this girl) I'd try not to rely on her as much and maybe find somebody closer to home to speak to? Otherwise, if she was to drift out of your life, it could have more devastating effect. Have you looked into counselling?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

You have ocd GD.

Doctors just said its mild anxiety, no OCD! Just this certain thing has bothered hence finding it hard to let it go, usually I can get over things very quickly by talking. Not to bad now thankfully, finally getting some closure on it after talking to my mam and girlfriend!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:21am

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You're really over thinking things LB. LinkedIn is all about connecting with others from similar fields and HR and recruitment go hand in hand. Coincidence I am sure.

But if I were you (I know how highly you regard this girl) I'd try not to rely on her as much and maybe find somebody closer to home to speak to? Otherwise, if she was to drift out of your life, it could have more devastating effect. Have you looked into counselling?

yeah I'm doing counselling alright but it is good to have someone in work that I can rely on but I definitely agree I'm most likely over thinking this, I do have others in work I can talk to but she was the first so I feel more comfortable with her.

Posted By: dunloybhoy
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:03am
Have this as well myself. came out of no where one day while walking through a shopping centre. Massive panic, thought my legs were going to give way and i needed out of it straight away.

No trigger, nothing, was perfectly happy with life at that point. It happened one day in the car as well on the motorway in Belfast. i near killed myself and others trying to get off the fast lane and into the slow lane! scared the jaysus out of me. Even standing in a queue in a shop i put everything down and left it as i just got the feeling i needed out of the place!

since then i sort of allowed it to take control but i spoke to a few friends and my mum about it last year and it helped alot. i dont take any medication, im weird that way, i dont want any. I prefer to deal with it my own way.

ive found that exercise, being involved in stuff like the GAA and coaching teams helps alot. exercide esp is brilliant. in-door footie for 1 hour with mates can clear your mind something serious.

Somedays it can be bad, even sitting in work, but ive found that its a matter of taking a few deep breaths, closing your eyes and settling down again works. 

Its no where near as bad as it was and ive found that drink is the worse cure for it. It makes it worse the next day!

But on a whole im happier for taking to people about it, esp my mum who when talking to her revealed she suffered from it years ago when we were kids and says she worked her way through it and now never even thinks about it.

Eat well, sleep well, relax, avoid binge drinking, find goals in life, things to look forward to and it will slowly ease off.  Hell ive even found that writing this all down here therapeutic! 

-------------
put em under pressure!

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 5:33pm
So brought it up in a nice discreet way today with the hr lass as you said mcg just me over thinking things, she even said same thing and reassurred me she wasn't leaving.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:12pm
I find writing things down helps a lot, going back over the issue in your head can really bring you down so I'm trying to avoid doing that now.

It's mad how everything can be perfect for weeks on end and then boom out of nowhere your world can become a struggle out of the blue for a number of days/weeks over the smallest of things.

Anxiety is a curse the way your mind can just trick you into thinking stuff you haven't or wouldn't do yourself.

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 8:08am

I find writing things down helps a lot, going back over the issue in your head can really bring you down so I'm trying to avoid doing that now.

It's mad how everything can be perfect for weeks on end and then boom out of nowhere your world can become a struggle out of the blue for a number of days/weeks over the smallest of things.

Anxiety is a curse the way your mind can just trick you into thinking stuff you haven't or wouldn't do yourself.

I know how you mean, I'm sure you've seen I'm a massive ranter on Twitter and it boils down to it LOL

I'm all too familiar with panic/anxiety attacks in the end I just think if I don't go for it, I've probably lost an opportunity I'll never get back - Like travelling to my first game at the Aviva last year is when I totally dropped my bollocks at the airport but as you know, I ended up there - and I've been on the receiving end of some tough love, sometimes you need it to spur you on.

Posted By: humptyhumpty
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 8:29am
Just hang in there. I know that feeling. Take it easy, exercise and try to get out as much as you can. 

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 3:38pm
Had an appointment made for today with a Therapist but unfortunately she cancelled due to being sick herself!

Starting a new job tomorrow and moving house either Friday or early next week, dad got great news on his road to recovery from lung cancer! Yet here I am struggling really badly to move on from what is bothering me....

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 3:40pm
Great stuff about your dad GD - glad to hear it. Thumbs Up

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 4:23pm
Yup, great news.

Have you thought about writing down your worries? I'm sure a load of people have been giving you their two pence and it probably hasn't been helping so I'm loath to do that but I know it worked for people I know. It's just a matter of jotting down a list of the things that worry you and, if possible, a list of things you are thankful for too.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 6:47pm
Its obvious its the missus thats the cause. You used to be a great laugh on here with a care free attitude now its off to wesport with the gf and off to dingle with the gf. And now anxiety. I am no doctor but its all pointing in one direction. :).

Only messing. Sounds like you are trying to comtro
Your thoughts which will make it worse. Doing the right thing by making an appointment to a therapist. Listen to Jason Mc Steers podcast with jarleth Reagan very good! New Jon and house will be good for you too. Fair play gd.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 7:37pm

Had an appointment made for today with a Therapist but unfortunately she cancelled due to being sick herself!

Starting a new job tomorrow and moving house either Friday or early next week, dad got great news on his road to recovery from lung cancer! Yet here I am struggling really badly to move on from what is bothering me....

Thumbs UpThumbs Up

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 8:47pm
I've struggled with it before. At the time it really perplexed me because it seems to come whenever im happiest (im a young lad in college and i feel like generally my life is very good most of the time) but i can just conjure up this terrible, all-consuming fear that itll all somehow be taken away from me. Thankfully i havent been too bad with it recently but it has been very tough at times, it could take away my entire enjoyment of all of the things that would normally give me joy, and make me feel kind of like im in a glass box separated from everyone else having a good time.

I know im just retreading old cliches but theyre true, exercise helps, writing it down how you feel is also a big help (and think to yourself, ok its written down now, i dont have to think so much anymore because all my worries are there in the book) and obviously everyone says it but by far the most important thing is to talk to someone you can trust. Knowing someone else understands and youre not suffering it in silence. That was always my instinct to do, telling everyone im fine because i didnt want to appear weak, i understand how hard it can be but it is such a massive help.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 3:29am
Moved into a new house yesterday where I'll be saving 400 quid a month yet had another sleepless night thinking about finances and how I'm going to pay for stuff. 

My immigration lawyer is meeting my company this week to discuss sponsorship to keep me in Canada which is great news but spent the rest of today worrying whats going to happen even though all signs point towards a positive outcome. Pre season is a month away which is good news because the off season here is far longer than home and I usually let myself go a bit when I'm not playing so I'm gonna get the head down for the month and build a base fitness before I go gung ho with the club. Coaching is going well and hoping for a call from Toronto FC's Academy in the next while to take over as Junior Academy goalkeeper coach. 

Gotta say, even just posting in this thread helps get a lot off me chest!

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 5:38am
Good on ya blueman, everything will work out for you Thumbs Up    Just remember these negative thoughts are not us actually thinking, they are just fluff.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 7:36am
And don't forget bluey you are the ybig blind date champion of 2010 they can't take that off you.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:56am
had a bender at the weekend starting off with the ballad session in Dalymount. Went out Sunday as well and got plastered. Been a wreck yesterday and today with stuff going through the head. I know its only drink related though so I'll be grand, but couldnt tolerate if it was all the time. 

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 9:07am
Ah yes Sham, alcohol the cause of and solution to....

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 11:18am
Let that sweet beer ease the pain.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Bennett
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 7:59pm
The alcohol gags are sad on this thread.

On a serious note anyone needs to chat about this topic they can pm me. Strictly confidential and I can offer up any advice, I would beglad to help

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Bennett Bennett wrote:

The alcohol gags are sad on this thread.

On a serious note anyone needs to chat about this topic they can pm me. Strictly confidential and I can offer up any advice, I would beglad to help

well said. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 8:59pm
Back to normal today thank god. Had been on the sauce from Tuesday - Sunday with heavy sessions on the Wednesday and Saturday. Yesterday I didn't go to work and was paro coming into the office today which was making me anxious. But as always it was all in my head and everything back to normal without reason to worry

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

And don't forget bluey you are the ybig blind date champion of 2010 they can't take that off you.

That was a great day! 

"Fudge packing mongos" still gets me everytime LOL

-------------

Gary Speed 1969-2011

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 11:17pm
Just want to thank Bennett, had a great chat with him there earlier

Just hoping to overcome this over a period of time, starting with a clean mind from midnight onwards!

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 6:43am
Almost back to normal myself as the alcohol departs the system. One more good sleep and I'll be brand new. Back on the dry now, it just aint worth it.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Almost back to normal myself as the alcohol departs the system. One more good sleep and I'll be brand new. Back on the dry now, it just aint worth it.

Pleased to hear it good man.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 11:38am
I lost my job in 2009, after about 6 months stated feeling all sweaty etc doing normal things like buying the paper, etc. I later found out that this was the start of anxiety. I am thankfully back working but i went on meds on 2010 and despite a few failed attemps to get off them i am still on what is a low enough dosage. Anxiety is a curse, even going to the canteen later at work can send me into worry, heart beating fast etc. Only my mother knows i suffer from anxiety, to everyone else i am the life and soul of the party. I regular pull women but have never had a relationship due to my lack of confidence and negative thoughts. If i have something coming up like a weekend away i would be mad looking forward to it but as it gets closer i start to dread the whole thing. Controlling the thoughts are the key i think. I go for regular counselling and hopefully 1 days i can control this anxiety. It is good to know i am not the only one suffering from anxiety.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 11:58am
What do the councillors say?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 12:00pm
I don't get lads like trAndy going on about anxiety as a result of week on the gargle. Try suffering from anxiety without gargle.  Everyone gets the bleedin fear after a week on the gargle. That doesn't mean you suffer with anxiety. 

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I don't get lads like trAndy going on about anxiety as a result of week on the gargle. Try suffering from anxiety without gargle.  Everyone gets the bleedin fear after a week on the gargle. That doesn't mean you suffer with anxiety. 
Just to clarify, in the case that I'm included in the "lads like Andy" comment, I clearly stated the cause in my case and that I'd hate to have it all the time, meaning as in proper anxiety and not because I have no self control once gargling. In no way comparing myself to those that have it all the time

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What do the councillors say?
Basiacally that my relationship with myself is the key as in i have to start been kinder to myself and love myself more. It makes sense as i am never going to make progress if i keep giving out to myself for suffering from anxiety.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

I lost my job in 2009, after about 6 months stated feeling all sweaty etc doing normal things like buying the paper, etc. I later found out that this was the start of anxiety. I am thankfully back working but i went on meds on 2010 and despite a few failed attemps to get off them i am still on what is a low enough dosage. Anxiety is a curse, even going to the canteen later at work can send me into worry, heart beating fast etc. Only my mother knows i suffer from anxiety, to everyone else i am the life and soul of the party. I regular pull women but have never had a relationship due to my lack of confidence and negative thoughts. If i have something coming up like a weekend away i would be mad looking forward to it but as it gets closer i start to dread the whole thing. Controlling the thoughts are the key i think. I go for regular counselling and hopefully 1 days i can control this anxiety. It is good to know i am not the only one suffering from anxiety.

Same as myself. theres only a tight few who know this like my mum and dad and best mate. Not even my 2 brothers know about it.

i got badly down only myself a few years back. Nearly was married till we broke up, went on a mad rampage for a while. Met another girl but it got messed up after the ex hated on her making it a mess. We split up after well a personal sadness between us and a few moths on lost my job. 3 months after that i got laid off again! Twice in a year!

Convinced myself my life was cursed and nothing good would come of it. Very low confidence but it took my best friends, my mum and alot of inner courage by myself to get on my feet again. I got a great new job the day before going to Scotland away! 

The anxiety was a killer. As you say i dreaded walking into a cafe, raised heart beat, sweaty hands etc. Its a curse esp for me as i am pretty confident person who loves going out and partying etc.

Exercise, getting out and about with mates, occupying your mind with good positive things is key. I listened to good article on tv the other night where they said that if your happy within yourself where you are in life then nothing can keep you down, no matter what unknowns come along.

Yes it comes and goes but its no where near as bad and as often as it used to be. 

-------------
put em under pressure!

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 5:23pm
Yeah mate i'd be pretty outgoing myself so it can be a crippler. Obviously the drink does'nt help but as a single man its nearly worse to be moping about at home. Its hard to be constantly hiding it too at work, social events, etc. Hopefully with some hard work i can get the better of it soon or cope with it as anxiety is always going to be in the background.

Posted By: Bennett
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 9:53pm
Fair play lads as I told GD last night it is quiet common but the stigma that is attached to it is the problem.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:18am

Yeah mate i'd be pretty outgoing myself so it can be a crippler. Obviously the drink does'nt help but as a single man its nearly worse to be moping about at home. Its hard to be constantly hiding it too at work, social events, etc. Hopefully with some hard work i can get the better of it soon or cope with it as anxiety is always going to be in the background.

Im the same as im single so its boring sitting in! lol

Def find yourself something to occupy your time. Im involved in my own GAA club and coach/manage our underage hurlers and the camogie as well. Im out of the house 3 nights a week with it and i love it. Its a real buzz and it gives me serious drive to keep going. i have 30-40 adults to coach tonight and you know what i could crumble and hide away from it but i dont let it. 

Weird as it may be i find music brilliant as well. I spend my work day with the earphones in and your day just filters away as i work on the comp.

-------------
put em under pressure!

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by dunloybhoy dunloybhoy wrote:

Im the same as im single so its boring sitting in! lol

Def find yourself something to occupy your time. Im involved in my own GAA club and coach/manage our underage hurlers and the camogie as well. Im out of the house 3 nights a week with it and i love it. Its a real buzz and it gives me serious drive to keep going. i have 30-40 adults to coach tonight and you know what i could crumble and hide away from it but i dont let it. 

Weird as it may be i find music brilliant as well. I spend my work day with the earphones in and your day just filters away as i work on the comp.

u creepy bollix 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 11:48am
lol they are all over 18. its not too creepy

-------------
put em under pressure!

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 11:59am
Your rattling any of those camogie players?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:04pm
The camogie manager in the club usually is

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 2:40pm

LOL you have no idea how times im asked that by my mates. 

-------------
put em under pressure!

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 2:42pm

Answer the man's question

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 3:51pm

Answer the man's question
Lucky really as if it would have been Baldie he would have slept with half the team by now , ohhh that's the male side  Heart

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Barna Bee
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 3:52pm
what a helpful thread , great advice for lots of people to soak up and it is going to help me in  dealing a bit better with my sister who is clearly affected by anxiety /depression . To be honest I have a lot to be thankful for and find it hard to understand her thinking sometimes ...this thread certainly helps and is giving me the impetus to find out more .
All the best to eveyone here who may be suffering 

-------------
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 8:03pm
great stuff lads , great to see everyone opening up Thumbs Up

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: eire28
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 4:49pm
Have been on Cipramil 20mg for over 5 years for depression/anxiety related illness. Can safely say it saved my life as I was in a v bad place back then. I still get occasional bouts of anxiety, especially after drinking but am definitely coping better! 

Great that more and more people all over the country (especially men) are not afraid to talk about their mental health issues, and the stigma is certainly waning. 

Peace brothers Hug

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by eire28 eire28 wrote:

Have been on Cipramil 20mg for over 5 years for depression/anxiety related illness. Can safely say it saved my life as I was in a v bad place back then. I still get occasional bouts of anxiety, especially after drinking but am definitely coping better! 

Great that more and more people all over the country (especially men) are not afraid to talk about their mental health issues, and the stigma is certainly waning. 

Peace brothers Hug

cry baby (as Homer Simpson says)

Fair play Eire

I suppose online forums such as us can actually help if not prevent people/posters not harming themselves somehow. I love the fact a few of our posters can post on here in regards to that without ridicule.

People need an outlet to air their feelings sof it's nice to see ybig as the outlet for that.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 3:10pm
Hangover + match nerves + packed luas = need a gargle asap before I have a panic attack!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 2:32pm
You certainly weren't anxious in the Berkeley last night

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Print Page | Close Window