You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Presidential Election 2018 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:28pm
Michael D Clap
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:53pm
Michael D Higgins Clap People taking the piss out of his name Thumbs Down
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:31pm
Probably in the minority here but I think he’s too old/will be too old by 2025.
He said he would only do on term, but maybe he’s realised the job isn’t too demanding mentally/physically.
Don’t really see why some people think he’s been so good.

As for the cost of an election, they could run a presidential election alongside the referendum in October.
If anything happened to him in the next 7 years (I hope nothing does happen to him), there would be a separate costly presidential election.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:06pm
Dev was 84 and practically blind when he ran for his 2nd term ffs. Leave Michael D. be. He's in grand shape for a man of his age 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:11pm
Michael D Clap

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:26pm
What do people think of the change of heart on the one term issue. If that was another politician, would that be an issue?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:29pm
Man is entitled to change his mind. He probably didn't think at the time he'd be up to a 2nd term and now he does.

Depends on who the politician is I suppose 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 10 Jul 2018 at 10:30pm

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Man is entitled to change his mind. He probably didn't think at the time he'd be up to a 2nd term and now he does.

Depends on who the politician is I suppose 

Would they not be entitled to change their mind too?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:34pm
I assume his mind has been changed by public opinion, if only more politicians were swayed by public opinion!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I assume his mind has been changed by public opinion, if only more politicians were swayed by public opinion!

Public opinion is favourable, but he did represent something, and has acted in a differnt way. I suppose, I would be interested to see the reaction if other politicans held the office, and had made the same promise, only to go back on it later?

Edited by Het-field - 10 Jul 2018 at 10:36pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

What do people think of the change of heart on the one term issue. If that was another politician, would that be an issue?

Don't think anyone really cares. We have never really had a divisive President in modern times (had a few divisive candidates alright) so if Pres. Higgins was some kind of obnoxious character, or had an upcoming appearance at a tribunal or something, and then decided to seek another term, it might be different. It might also be different if the sitting President had deep connections to the ruling Government party who happened to be in some kind of political bother at the time (say, if Labour were in charge and implementing a load of unpopular policies) but that isn't the case here either, in fact I'm not even sure the Labour party exist any more, I'll have to check & come back to ye. 

I think most see him at the very least as a very safe pair of hands. A few of our Presidents (Hillery & McAleese) were elected for a 2nd stint anyway, so its not groundbreaking stuff there either. No issue with him meself, as politicians go, he's far from the worst of them, he's a shrewd enough political operator, doesn't do anything stupid or controversial while representing us, seems to strike the right note of empathy with some of the marginalised sectors of our society and appears to be a genuine sports fan as well, as opposed to just pretending to be one like the majority of the chancers. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:52pm
Another reason most will be happy for him to stay on is the lack of genuine other candidates, I'd forgotten Sean Gallagher existed, and don't know what he is, who he purports to represent or why he's even in the public eye in the first place. Was he on some TV programme or some such ? Doesn't matter anyway, he'll get another 15 minutes this time around, maybe less if he has to spend his own money as opposed to FF's. 

Not for the first time, FF have seen the way the wind is blowing and rowed in fully behind him. The Shinners will probably have to wait for James McClean to retire, they could find any oul candidate that would attract their own vote and a few protest votes, but nobody to take on someone of Michael D's popularity. FG have never held the Presidency & if Leo has any sense at all (not sure on that) he'll stay well away from it too, there isn't anything to be gained by a likely defeat other than the other parties thinking they can then defeat them in the one that matters. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Don't think anyone really cares. We have never really had a divisive President in modern times (had a few divisive candidates alright) so if Pres. Higgins was some kind of obnoxious character, or had an upcoming appearance at a tribunal or something, and then decided to seek another term, it might be different. It might also be different if the sitting President had deep connections to the ruling Government party who happened to be in some kind of political bother at the time (say, if Labour were in charge and implementing a load of unpopular policies) but that isn't the case here either, in fact I'm not even sure the Labour party exist any more, I'll have to check & come back to ye. 

I think most see him at the very least as a very safe pair of hands. A few of our Presidents (Hillery & McAleese) were elected for a 2nd stint anyway, so its not groundbreaking stuff there either. No issue with him meself, as politicians go, he's far from the worst of them, he's a shrewd enough political operator, doesn't do anything stupid or controversial while representing us, seems to strike the right note of empathy with some of the marginalised sectors of our society and appears to be a genuine sports fan as well, as opposed to just pretending to be one like the majority of the chancers. 

Its not about not caring, but holding politicians to account for their promises and statements. It is saying one thing, and subsequently doing something else. If there was any doubt in his mind that he might run again, he should never have even ventured being a one-term president. And its not about being a two-termer. Its about being consistent.

I totally agree, that D Higgins has generally done well. There have been elements of his Presidency that I have not been entirely favourable to, but for the vast majority of it he has done an excellent job.

I'm also not sure whether the issue of being close to a ruling party is an issue. Otherwise, many top candidates wouldnt qualify in the first instance. Being close to the ruling party is irrelevant, especially as in a second term situation your independence would be much stronger than it was in the first instance, as you would be gone from the party for over seven years at that stage. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:55pm

Another reason most will be happy for him to stay on is the lack of genuine other candidates, I'd forgotten Sean Gallagher existed, and don't know what he is, who he purports to represent or why he's even in the public eye in the first place. Was he on some TV programme or some such ? Doesn't matter anyway, he'll get another 15 minutes this time around

Not for the first time, FF have seen the way the wind is blowing and rowed in fully behind him. The Shinners will probably have to wait for James McClean to retire, they could find any oul candidate that would attract their own vote and a few protest votes, but nobody to take on someone of Michael D's popularity. FG have never held the Presidency & if Leo has any sense at all (not sure on that) he'll stay well away from it too, there isn't anything to be gained by a likely defeat other than the other parties thinking they can then defeat them in the one that matters. 

Thats actually not a reason. It cant just be assumed that  popularity is such that another vote is pointless.

Edited by Het-field - 10 Jul 2018 at 11:13pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:17pm
If we held politicians accountable for their promises, would there be anyone at all in the Dáil ? Or put another way, would every single seat change hands at elections ? Half genuine question. The answer to the whether people are that put out about him changing his mind will be in the ballot box, and everyone knows, even at this stage they generally aren't. 

I disagree about the closeness of the candidate to the ruling party, the Brian Lenihan/Mary Robinson campaign in 1990 changed that for good. In that case, it messed up a candicacy rather than a Presidency, but even in the last campaign, Sean Gallagher's (had forgotten he was allegedly independent) candicacy was derailed by accusations he was close to the then toxic FF and may have been involved in an incident where some envelopes stuffed with money changed hands. 

Can't really prove that theory as neither got elected, and there were never such suggestions about Robinson, McAleese or Higgins, but those 2 elections were probably the only ones that happened in the same timeframe as political strife for FF was happening simultaneously, and it cost them both times. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that a similar scenario would have a negative effect on a sitting President, but that would obviously depend on the individual in office at the time, the party they belonged to and the role they played in whatever incident was exercising/annoying the public. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Thats actually not a reason. It cant just be assumed that  popularity is such that another vote is pointless.

I'm not assuming anything, merely predicting the chap will be re-elected, and one of the reasons he will be re-elected is the lack of suitable alternative candidates. The views on the alternatives are only my views, and it is a valid reason for me, whether you or anyone else agrees with that or not. 

Others will vote for him for any amount of reasons from his relationship with Galway FC or the fact he likes dogs, or the fact they are life long Labour voters. More will vote for one of those alternative candidates for reasons that will be alien to me, but that's the nature of elections. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:29pm

Another reason most will be happy for him to stay on is the lack of genuine other candidates, I'd forgotten Sean Gallagher existed, and don't know what he is, who he purports to represent or why he's even in the public eye in the first place. Was he on some TV programme or some such ? Doesn't matter anyway, he'll get another 15 minutes this time around, maybe less if he has to spend his own money as opposed to FF's. 

LOLLOLLOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:35pm
@Hetfield 

Just out of curiousity, what elements of his presidency were you not entirely favourable towards?  

I'm struggling to think of anything truly negative whether it's any polarizing views he may have or controversies he was involved in. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
  Share Topic