You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poppygate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poppygate
    Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 9:04am
David Squires on … football and poppygate 2017 - The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/.../david-squires-on-football-and-poppygate- 2017

The way they some people go on over here about the poppies its almost looked on as criminal behaviour if you don't wear one!

Embarrassed

Edited by Double Maxim - 12 Nov 2017 at 10:12am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:01pm
I can understand people wearing one and remembering the two world wars etc but likewise, I can understand those who don’t. Maybe this will be political but those who criticise the likes of McClean etc, conveniently forget the role of the U.K. in Ireland for not just the latter day troubles, but it’s track record in Ireland for centuries. The British military have a very grubby and sinister record in Ireland
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

I can understand people wearing one and remembering the two world wars etc but likewise, I can understand those who don’t. Maybe this will be political but those who criticise the likes of McClean etc, conveniently forget the role of the U.K. in Ireland for not just the latter day troubles, but it’s track record in Ireland for centuries. The British military have a very grubby and sinister record in Ireland
You are so right I've no problems with the first two world wars but the rest is blood on their hands.

Edited by Double Maxim - 14 Nov 2017 at 5:00am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

You are so right I've no problems with the first two world wars but the rest blood on their hands.

There is more than just the two World Wars that can be justified. Certainly more than a few that are not.
flipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 6:33pm
I try to avoid this debate every year but I found myself up in Newry today. All the PSNI filth were wearing a poppy. Surely even in a normal, functioning country the police force should be banned from wearing any potentially divisive symbols or paraphernalia. Let alone a political and emotional basket case like Northern Ireland.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by flipper flipper wrote:

I try to avoid this debate every year but I found myself up in Newry today. All the PSNI filth were wearing a poppy. Surely even in a normal, functioning country the police force should be banned from wearing any potentially divisive symbols or paraphernalia. Let alone a political and emotional basket case like Northern Ireland.

Filth - what age are you 12 ffs
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
flipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Your sensitivity merely proves my point.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 8:29pm

No it doesn't it just confirms your a moron 👍
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 8:37pm

I thought you were the friendly dolphin?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 1:13am

You're .....,,,,,,,,,
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:49am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You're .....,,,,,,,,,

ok he is a moron
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You're .....,,,,,,,,,

An ellipses is three dots...
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:35am
Ellipsis
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Ellipsis

*Ellipsis.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 8:47am
No surprise there sadly.

14.38 10 Nov 2022 A ‘form of poppy fascism’ has sprung up in the UK in recent years, with Irish people vilified when they refuse to wear one, according to Shane Coleman. One Newstalk Breakfast...

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 9:39am
This year's launch of the poppy (It gets earlier every year) we were told we should wear one because of the brave work of those we don't know who protect us everyday. It's all about British nationalism now, nothing else. It's a shame what it has become really.

Had a conversation yesterday with a colleague about why I don't wear one and ended as it usually does,  why don't I go home.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

This year's launch of the poppy (It gets earlier every year) we were told we should wear one because of the brave work of those we don't know who protect us everyday. It's all about British nationalism now, nothing else. It's a shame what it has become really.

Had a conversation yesterday with a colleague about why I don't wear one and ended as it usually does,  why don't I go home.

Your so right the poppy is all about Brit nationalism sadly. 

I've had similar conversations with English people over the years about wearing the poppy.

I mention that its a charity and ask them whether they support other charities and surely its up to the individual which charities they give to and how do they know whether I give money to other charities?

I also quoted these figures to them and I was accused of making it up! 

The RBL, which has an annual income of around £150m and bank reserves of almost £70m.

Edited by Double Maxim - 11 Nov 2022 at 10:04am
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 9:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic