You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poppies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:41am
What do you disagree about with my original post?  
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 10:19am
Have to agree with Landon. What about the anthems? In itself they are political and many include references to wars that they have won/lost against other nations. This could be very offensive to the nations they were at war with.

While I don't think anthems are as 'in your face' (languages often mask them) as a symbol on a jersey, it brings up the same arguments.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has bothered to ask the English players if they even wanted to display the poppy on their shirt? I doubt it. What I like about the poppy appeal is the way people used to choose to wear it and show support. These days that's gone and it's seen as almost sacrilege if you don't wear one.

Living in England, I often get comments about why I'm not wearing one. I find that shocking. Even disregarding the fact that I'm Irish, for someone to come up to you and ask why you're not supporting what they support is f**king ridiculous.

Edited by kelvin - 12 Nov 2011 at 10:20am
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 10:39am
2011                                                                                                                        1933
samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 11:43am
was it 1938 when the England international team all gave the Nazi salute
Certain mods are complete wankstains
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 12:07pm
Be a nice earner selling them
Every fuker seems to have one
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:37pm
Have the soccer teams stopped wearing these?
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:40pm
It was seen as a bad example, legitimizing heroine. Talk of Pats wearing one for this very reason on Sunday.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 6:43pm
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

It was seen as a bad example, legitimizing heroine. Talk of Pats wearing one for this very reason on Sunday.

LOL
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 11:08pm
Can we get some ybig poppies made?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 12:01am
The poppy is the equivalent of the cannabis leaf emblem, all these junkie promoters.

Good to see Rodgers, Wenger and Martinez wearing the smallest possible pins possible. Drugs Out!

Edited by Bob Hoskins - 05 Nov 2014 at 12:02am
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Can we get some ybig poppies made?

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 4:00pm
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:40am
Conor McGregor says yes.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Conor McGregor says yes.

Yet his entrance to the ring tune was the foggy dew, think the lad has had to many digs to the head.

Edited by drog addict - 30 Oct 2015 at 8:48am
Chips don't bounce
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

http://athousandflowers.net/2013/11/05/selective-remembrance-and-the-problem-with-poppymania/
Brilliantly frank piece on the poppy

Hits the nail right on the head. Good read.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:55am

God this time of the year has become fairly painful. Another two weeks of 'controversy' ahead. Ermm

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:58am
Whats the difference in McGregor wearing a poppy and every other irish sportsperson (bar James McClean) when on TV in the UK?

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 30 Oct 2015 at 9:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
  Share Topic