You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plumber advise - Shower Pump leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plumber advise - Shower Pump leaking
    Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 5:00pm
Anyone know anything about shower pumps?

I've a shower pump that is leaking sporadically, whereby it has flooded the attic and leaked all down through the ceiling.

A bit of a pain because I'll have to get the wife to paint the ceiling again.

It doesn't leak all the time though, if I have the shower on full whack it will spill lots of water, now it appears that the water is leaking from inside the motor.

The first red arrow was when the thing was loose and I tighted in but now it appears to be leaking where the 2 red arrows are.

Can I open this up or will it just spill out gallons of water, or is the thing just broken and needs to be replaced?

I have it 3/4 years now and is out of warranty.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
boywonder View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boywonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 5:09pm
If you open it without knocking off the valves you will of course flood the house. knock off the two valves going into pump and water will flow out but only whats left in pump. Looks like a gasket/washer is gone. If the pump needs replacing and is in your attic it maybe a negative head pump which are very pricey to replace. 600-700 for a new negative head pump. what make pump is it? may be better off getting one of their service lads out to have a look

Edited by boywonder - 02 Feb 2014 at 5:10pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 5:12pm
I think it's one of these -

WASP 50

Fairly sure I paid 200 to 250 for it, so might be just best off to replace the whole thing.

Just wondering if it's something simple.

Edited by horsebox - 02 Feb 2014 at 5:12pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Terry hall View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 5:12pm
If it was only leaking at red arrow 1 , then it could be repaired . Looks like it's weeping from the motor casing at arrows 2 so prob better to replace it , it'll only come back to haunt ye later on
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

A bit of a pain because I'll have to get the wife to paint the ceiling again.

LOLLOLLOL
boywonder View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boywonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 5:50pm
if it cost 200-250 its not a negative head pump. I'd honestly just replace it if you have the funds and be done with it. get a lad out to fix a part and next week another part could go. replace it with full warranty for a year or two.
Terry hall View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by boywonder boywonder wrote:

if it cost 200-250 its not a negative head pump. I'd honestly just replace it if you have the funds and be done with it. get a lad out to fix a part and next week another part could go. replace it with full warranty for a year or two.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:57pm
Any advise. The two rads in my extension (one vertical, one horizontal) keep going cool. I've checked all the rads and don't find air. 
If I turn off all the other rads and close the valve, the two rads will heat up again to their full. But as soon as I open back up the valve and turn on the other rads, all the other rads heat up fine but the other two in the extension start to run cold again so it's only a temporary fix.

Anyone have a clue what issue could be?

Edited by t_rAndy - 05 Mar 2021 at 4:59pm
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 5:08pm
pressure in my gas boiler is goneAngry
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Any advise. The two rads in my extension (one vertical, one horizontal) keep going cool. I've checked all the rads and don't find air. 
If I turn off all the other rads and close the valve, the two rads will heat up again to their full. But as soon as I open back up the valve and turn on the other rads, all the other rads heat up fine but the other two in the extension start to run cold again so it's only a temporary fix.

Anyone have a clue what issue could be?

Doesn’t sound that it’s balanced 

Shut all the valves in the radiators and go to the closest one and just crack the valve to get it hot go to the next closest and only open it enough to get hot and continue 

Essentially the resistance at the closest rad and furthest rad should be the same so the get equal heat 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Are the rads heating up?
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:08pm

sounds like the Fallopian tube is bollixed. 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:54pm

fixedClap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 2:17am

fixedClap
Drama queen LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic