You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playoff update thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 9:11pm
Yeah if we're out of the running for the top spot this time around, it's in our best interest to be relegated. Isn't there a relegation/promotion playoff now as well?

So if you finished 2nd in League B, you'll play a promotion/relegation playoff with a 3rd place team in League A. I think that's how it works. Makes the Nations League super important.
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Originally posted by Pubes Pubes wrote:

the whole nations league playoff fiasco just needs to end. Teams like Bosnia already in it so taking a hammering tonight, teams like us who could have possibly let Netherlands beat us (not that we would need to LET them) for a better chance to qualify in it, just leaves it open for a complete piss take. 3rd place teams in the group for playoffs from now on
Very good point. 
It’s not really. The old friendlies were sh*te. Nations League games are much better. Having the guaranteed playoff spot gives it a real competitive edge.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

Yeah if we're out of the running for the top spot this time around, it's in our best interest to be relegated. Isn't there a relegation/promotion playoff now as well?

So if you finished 2nd in League B, you'll play a promotion/relegation playoff with a 3rd place team in League A. I think that's how it works. Makes the Nations League super important.
The relegation playoff is from league C to D. There’s 4 groups in C and only 2 in D. Only two teams can get relegated from League C.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

The relegation playoff is from league C to D. There’s 4 groups in C and only 2 in D. Only two teams can get relegated from League C.

They've rejigged it for the next iteration. A and B have relegation/promotion playoffs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024%E2%80%9325_UEFA_Nations_League 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 11:00pm
Playoff prospects now listed at 0.00%.
DubLife View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 11:14am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

What happened last night to make it go from 0.1 to 0.0?
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 11:22am
Everything would suggest McAteer 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by DubLife DubLife wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

What happened last night to make it go from 0.1 to 0.0?

Finland losing I think

remote scenario of

Finland/Slovenia both qualifying in their group
Ukraine quali auto
Serb quali auto
Israel quali auto

would have left Bosnia, Iceland, Norway, us in path B

Edited by Jimmy Raggatip - 18 Oct 2023 at 5:22pm
lorco View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 5:25pm
We can still qualify if Israel win 2 of their next 3 , and if iceland win their next 2 with slovakia losing to bosnia herzegovina

Edited by lorco - 18 Oct 2023 at 5:27pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 5:33pm
Well its not 0% just yet but its as good as.

Need Iceland to finish runners up in their group. To do that they would need to beat Slovakia on Head to Head by beating them by 2 goals or more while also needing to beat Portugal and hope Bosnia beat Slovakia.

All that plus needing Israel and Switzerland to top their group ahead of Romania who are sitting top.

Youd have better odds winning the lotto several times over LOL
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 6:10pm
It’s over babyyy, it’s not you, it’s me.
Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 9:35pm
so are you saying there is a chance 
lorco View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Well its not 0% just yet but its as good as.

Need Iceland to finish runners up in their group. To do that they would need to beat Slovakia on Head to Head by beating them by 2 goals or more while also needing to beat Portugal and hope Bosnia beat Slovakia.

All that plus needing Israel and Switzerland to top their group ahead of Romania who are sitting top.

Youd have better odds winning the lotto several times over LOL

Its like a 5 game accumulator bet with some unlikely ones in there e.g. iceland beating portugal away and iceland winning by 2 goals or more vs slovakia

Edited by lorco - 19 Oct 2023 at 2:52pm
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 12:18pm
Wasn't sure where else to put this, Israel playing 4 games now in November.

Game v Kosovo on Sunday 12th November. As per BBC, "This is outside of an international window but the date has been agreed between Uefa and the European Clubs' Association and signed off by Fifa

Clubs from outside Israel and Kosovo must release one player (they can release more if they wish) and the player only has to be released two days before the game."
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Wasn't sure where else to put this, Israel playing 4 games now in November.

Game v Kosovo on Sunday 12th November. As per BBC, "This is outside of an international window but the date has been agreed between Uefa and the European Clubs' Association and signed off by Fifa

Clubs from outside Israel and Kosovo must release one player (they can release more if they wish) and the player only has to be released two days before the game."

Is this game going to be behind closed doors? I'd imagine the security required for any Israel game now would make it impossible to allow supporters from either side into a stadium anywhere. What is going on in Gaza won't be forgotten easily and the security issues won't go away as soon as the conflict has stopped. 
Let Christy Take It.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 10:55am
Kosovo beat Israel 1-0 last night
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 11:00am
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Kosovo beat Israel 1-0 last night

It will take the biggest freak of events to happen for Ireland to get s playoff so wouldn't worry to much about looking at other results. They need Iceland and Israel to qualify automatically and neither of them look likely 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
thenewguy View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thenewguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 4:22pm
is it officially done and dusted for us if switzerland beat israel tonight, or am i not fully understanding it ? thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041>
  Share Topic