You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players who didn't live up to expectation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:26pm
Samir Carruthers, I'd such high hopes for him, he was exceptional underage. I really thought he'd play at a very high level.

Used to follow his career extremely closely, don't even know where he is now. 
Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:33pm
Aiden McGeady 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
5678 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Samir Carruthers, I'd such high hopes for him, he was exceptional underage. I really thought he'd play at a very high level.

Used to follow his career extremely closely, don't even know where he is now. 

Yeah.... when he was at villa I toughth we were onto something special.
Career nose ddived after chucking pint of piss over crowd at a race course.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Aiden McGeady. He looked the part. Then moved to Russia and never progressed at all

He excelled in Russia.

You could say he didn't progress further when he went to Everton.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 6:04pm
Mark Kelly, Billy Clarke, Owen Garvan, Mark Kennedy, Stephen McPhail, 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 6:46pm
There were a few teen prodigy wingers emerged around the time of O'Neill. Alan Moore, Mark Kennedy, Andy Turner. All promised much, delivered little in the end.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 6:56pm
John Paul Kelly
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:03pm
I always felt there was a point where Ireland could have had another coming with Joey O’Brien, Stephen Kelly, the two Reid’s, Liam Miller, Gibson, McGeady, Ireland, Stokes, and perhaps Paul McShane. In those days there was serious reason to be optimistic, with the spine of Given, Finnan, Dunne, Duff and Keane.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:15pm

Edited by NewtNewbie - 28 Sep 2018 at 7:16pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:15pm
Stokes and Kennedy were two who seemed destined for stardom.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

There were a few teen prodigy wingers emerged around the time of O'Neill. Alan Moore, Mark Kennedy, Andy Turner. All promised much, delivered little in the end.

O'Neill looked like a very exciting prospect when he first broke into the first team at Norwich - 6'2, athletic, fast and skilful. Newcastle made a big money bid for him in the days when when they were challenging near the top of the league. Moore was talented but didn't apply himself. He was very good during Boro's promotion year under Robson but then fell away. Kennedy had a reasonable career but a questionable attitude held him back. Won more caps than he should've done because he used to be Mick McCarthy's babysitter. Great goal against Yugoslavia, however. Getting Turner on board looked like quite a coup when he rejected overtures from England in favour of us. This was in the days when talented young duel-qualified players declared for us rather than defecting from us. He was rewarded with a call up for a friendly with Wales. Broke into the Spurs team at 17 and was the youngest ever Premier League goalscorer at the time, but his career turned to s**t thereafter for some reason.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

John Paul Kelly

What a shout this is, most wouldn't know him. Joxer was a savage player with the world at his feet. Played against most on this list but he was something else. 

There is a few down this way that I would have loved to give soccer a go when they were young but they were swayed by the GAA. 

I would have loved Stephen Ireland to have carved out a decent career at international level. Another different level player. 
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:10pm
Robbie Keane.

Seriously.

When I watched his debut v Argentina, I thought wow, this fella is going to be world class. He looked fearless, was absolutely brilliant that day. The only other player to have the same sort of impression on me, on their debut was Ronaldo when I first seen him in the Premier League. 

Don't get me wrong, he was still an exceptional player for us, one of our greatest ever, but he never really turned into the played I thought he was going to be. 

I think his debut was v Argentina, if not we played them very early on in his career.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:11pm
I remember being at a Bohs vs City game at the Cross and I stood on the Shed side of the Donie Forde, Joxer warming up in front of us and nearly getting stuck in some lad who made a throwaway comment. One of the funniest things I have witnessed at a football match. He was being pulled away by the other lads warming up.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Robbie Keane.

Seriously.

When I watched his debut v Argentina, I thought wow, this fella is going to be world class. He looked fearless, was absolutely brilliant that day. The only other player to have the same sort of impression on me, on their debut was Ronaldo when I first seen him in the Premier League. 

Don't get me wrong, he was still an exceptional player for us, one of our greatest ever, but he never really turned into the played I thought he was going to be. 

I think his debut was v Argentina, if not we played them very early on in his career.
f**k off. Nonsense.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

John Paul Kelly
He play for bohs about 10 years ago? If it's him I remember him destroying harps in dalyer and thinking he should be playing at a higher level
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Robbie Keane.

Seriously.

LOLLOLLOL

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:42pm
I remember hearing loads about Richie Partridge at Liverpool. Everybody said he would break through to the first team.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic