You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players who didn't live up to expectation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Harsh as he has time on his side but Conor Masterson isn't far off being mentioned here. He's 20 years old now and still to play a first team game anywhere. 
LOL

Do you not agree? Hyped massively with his Liverpool move and following a similar pathway to Conor Clifford / Alex O'Hanlon by not getting any games under his belt. 

Hope I'm wrong but I imagine his career trajectory will be a loan move to League 2, release from Liverpool, time spent on trial at various lower league clubs before a return to the LOI. 

It's probably a harsh assessment on a 20 year old kid but I would agree with you. When young players aren't playing any first team football until their early 20s they are not going to make it at the elite level. 
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

If the Robbie Keane metric is being used, the you have to include the Duffer. Absolutely ran Spain ragged in 02, but never manager the same sort of us over the following 10 years. Again, injuries played a part in that too.
In fairness to Duff he played for the best team in England at the time and won two league titles.
He also ran Barcelona ragged one night.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Harsh as he has time on his side but Conor Masterson isn't far off being mentioned here. He's 20 years old now and still to play a first team game anywhere. 
LOL

Do you not agree? Hyped massively with his Liverpool move and following a similar pathway to Conor Clifford / Alex O'Hanlon by not getting any games under his belt. 

Hope I'm wrong but I imagine his career trajectory will be a loan move to League 2, release from Liverpool, time spent on trial at various lower league clubs before a return to the LOI. 

The thread is called players who didn't live up to expectation. He's 20. His career is hardly over now is it?

I did say it was harsh as he has time on his side but sure look at the age of a load of other players listed here - Alex O'Hanlon, Conor Clifford, Sam Byrne. 

Considering the hype around Masterson when he moved to England a good few years ago now you'd have expected him to have played a senior game by now. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

If the Robbie Keane metric is being used, the you have to include the Duffer. Absolutely ran Spain ragged in 02, but never manager the same sort of us over the following 10 years. Again, injuries played a part in that too.
In fairness to Duff he played for the best team in England at the time and won two league titles.
He also ran Barcelona ragged one night.

And don't forget his 2003 wondergoal against Canada (or was it 2004?)
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:21pm
the entire 'golden generation' were a massive disappointment, who woud have thought after 2002 that group wouldnt beat a higher ranked team let alone qualify for a tournament for over a decade.  

I include Duff, Keane, O'Shea, Dunne, Carr, Finnan, Given (To be fair was consistently the best performer among that group).

pretty pathethic tbh, especially looking at the players we have now

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

the entire 'golden generation' were a massive disappointment, who woud have thought after 2002 that group wouldnt beat a higher ranked team let alone qualify for a tournament for over a decade.  

I include Duff, Keane, O'Shea, Dunne, Carr, Finnan, Given (To be fair was consistently the best performer among that group).

04 Euros campaign was almost over before it had began due to abysmal management. McCarthy making a sh*t show of it and losing the 2 openin g games. 06 WC campaign was very disappointing as we were so close but so far away in the end under Kerr. The 08 campaign was under Stand. So besides Kerr's only full campaign 2 campaigns were f*cked by awful management. Very hard to blame players like Keane or Duff or others when that's the level of incompetence you are dealing with.

Not to forget the '00 campaign where Robbie Keane sat on the bench while McCarthys pal Tony Cascarino waddled around up front like a pensioner. To call any of those players efforts pathetic under such stewardship, well for want of a better word that is simply pathetic.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 12:18am
I would say that our 2006 WC Qualification was easily the biggest disappointment in our annals of modern football in the country. The squad we had was more than capable of topping a very average group, where France even gave most a head start, and we came fourth.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 12:28am
Considering in '04 we had very ordinary Russia and Switzerland sides as our main rivals, and McCarthy threw the Swiss game in the last 15 minutes trying to get a winner to save his own job, that for me would easily top the '06 campaign.

To say that '06 was more disappointing that '08 under Stan is a massive stretch as well. Either way my point still stands, to question some of Irelands greatest ever players like Duff and Keane for not qualifying for more tournaments, when they were under the supervision of absolute plebians in a number of campaigns is poor imo.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:01am
Duff and Robben were at Chelsea together, compare the two of their careers if you want to see why Duff was a major disappointment in the end, after looking like George Best against Spain and in the early part of his career
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I would say that our 2006 WC Qualification was easily the biggest disappointment in our annals of modern football in the country. The squad we had was more than capable of topping a very average group, where France even gave most a head start, and we came fourth.

I'm not sure I'd agree that was an 'average group' at all - quite the opposite in fact. I thought that was one of the toughest, and probably one of the most interesting, groups we were ever in. Don't forget that French side went on to contest the WC final, yet the only win they got over the other top three teams in the group was against us in Dublin. Perennial WC/Euro qualifiers Switzerland and a very well coached, and indeed incredibly c**tish, Israeli side made for a really fascinating group.

We still should have topped it on account of the fact we threw four points away in our two games against the Israelis, but I can't really accept the notion the group was 'average' when it was anything but.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

04 Euros campaign was almost over before it had began due to abysmal management. McCarthy making a sh*t show of it and losing the 2 openin g games. 06 WC campaign was very disappointing as we were so close but so far away in the end under Kerr. The 08 campaign was under Stand. So besides Kerr's only full campaign 2 campaigns were f*cked by awful management. Very hard to blame players like Keane or Duff or others when that's the level of incompetence you are dealing with.

Not to forget the '00 campaign where Robbie Keane sat on the bench while McCarthys pal Tony Cascarino waddled around up front like a pensioner. To call any of those players efforts pathetic under such stewardship, well for want of a better word that is simply pathetic.

So our failings over the last 16-20 years is all down to bad management? The players have nothing to answer for ? I’d say your “inside” knowledge of the dressing room is developed watching sky , not kicking a ball or sitting in an actual dressing room. 
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:38am
Kerr couldn't have done much more in the 2006 campaign. We were robbed against the Israeli's twice and their keeper punched Andy O'Brien and got him sent off! Although I do attribute some blame to the substitution of Graham Kavanagh for the injured Robbie Keane in the same game.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:46am

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

LOL

The thread is called players who didn't live up to expectation. He's 20. His career is hardly over now is it?

I did say it was harsh as he has time on his side but sure look at the age of a load of other players listed here - Alex O'Hanlon, Conor Clifford, Sam Byrne. 

Considering the hype around Masterson when he moved to England a good few years ago now you'd have expected him to have played a senior game by now. 

You have to look at the team he's in though. It's going to be very hard to him to break through there. 2 players from memory Gomez & TAA are the only ones I can think of that have broken though in recent times. He has made the bench twice I believe in the last few months.

A loan spell to the Championship would do him wonders but he's hardly a player that hasn't lived up to expectations, unless of course your expectations were for him to be a starter for Liverpool at CB from the age of 18?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 11:22am
We weren’t robbed against Israel. We totally robbed ourselves, notwithstanding Dudu’s despicable behaviour that night. We were the architects of our own downfall in both Israel games. Little separated us and the Swiss and we should have beaten a French team in turmoil in 2004, when we got a 0-0 draw in Paris. That ignores our awful performance in Nicosia, and our profligacy against the FI in Dublin. People seem to be forgetting the difficulties in the French camp when the group started and which ran into early 2005. We withdrew after scoring against Switzerland in Basel.

The fourth place finish should speak volumes, even if there was very little to separate the teams. Also, we played the French in Dublin at full strength and it didn’t work. We had a squad of players to top that group.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

We weren’t robbed against Israel. We totally robbed ourselves, notwithstanding Dudu’s despicable behaviour that night. We were the architects of our own downfall in both Israel games. Little separated us and the Swiss and we should have beaten a French team in turmoil in 2004, when we got a 0-0 draw in Paris. That ignores our awful performance in Nicosia, and our profligacy against the FI in Dublin. People seem to be forgetting the difficulties in the French camp when the group started and which ran into early 2005. We withdrew after scoring against Switzerland in Basel.

The fourth place finish should speak volumes, even if there was very little to separate the teams. Also, we played the French in Dublin at full strength and it didn’t work. We had a squad of players to top that group.

Exactly. The home game was marked by an appalling level of conservatism against a team who were beaten, with changes that seemed to inspire them more than us.
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 1:05pm
Back on topic - bar Robbie Brady, struggling to think of a high profile young Dublin player who's moved to England who has gone on to make a reasonable impact in recent times. 

By high profile I'm thinking along the lines of lads who were hyped as agents began to be more involved, Anthony Stokes, Conor Clifford, Richie Towell, Aaron Doran, Gavin Gunning, Eoghan Stokes, Jack Byrne, Alex O'Hanlon, Daniel Cleary, Conor Masterson. Hope the same doesn't befall Glen McCauley, Troy Parrott etc. 

Will be really interesting to see if it's different for Gavin Bazunu having come through the LOI route and played a few first team games before making the move. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 1:40pm
Gavin Gunning came on for Forest Green last night, he is like a heavyweight boxer.

Edited by pre Madonna - 03 Oct 2018 at 1:42pm
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 4:41pm

Back on topic - bar Robbie Brady, struggling to think of a high profile young Dublin player who's moved to England who has gone on to make a reasonable impact in recent times. 

By high profile I'm thinking along the lines of lads who were hyped as agents began to be more involved, Anthony Stokes, Conor Clifford, Richie Towell, Aaron Doran, Gavin Gunning, Eoghan Stokes, Jack Byrne, Alex O'Hanlon, Daniel Cleary, Conor Masterson. Hope the same doesn't befall Glen McCauley, Troy Parrott etc. 

Will be really interesting to see if it's different for Gavin Bazunu having come through the LOI route and played a few first team games before making the move. 

I really think moving to big clubs ruins talented young lads . The money and lack of first team oppurtunites leaves them disallusioned and lacking any motivation after making couple of grand a week for a few years  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic