You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players who didn't live up to expectation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Players who didn't live up to expectation
    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:06pm
I've been having a look through some of our underage squads the last few years and it really hit me how many players we have hyped up as fans when they were underage and never quite hit the heights expected of them. In fact most players who play underage for us don't even go on to play with the senior squad at all or have successful careers in England.

In your time following Ireland, who was the one that you were convinced was going to become a major player for us and never hit the heights?

Mine has to be Conor Clifford, I was convinced he would go on to be our star man in the middle of the pitch for years to come when he won the FA Youth Cup with Chelsea in 2010. I've listened to several interviews with him over the last year or so and it sounds like he has a few regrets in his career, it must be tough for him thinking he was the star man underage but so many of his underage team mates have gone on to have relatively successful careers.
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:08pm

Terry Dixon and Richie Partridge spring to mind straight away. There's a long list though. 

El Puto Amo
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:16pm
dixon and Clifford come to mind, owen garvan a big one as well. for some reason Stephen O'Halloran does too.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:20pm
Clifford was definitely one of them.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:21pm
D Rice
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:22pm
Andy Reid
McPhail
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:31pm
Alex O'Hanlon .
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:33pm
Darren Potter too.
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:35pm
Keith O'Neill...I know it was knee issues with him...but also David Connolly. I think he had 6 goals in his first 7 caps or something like that...I was sure he was gonna become a legend
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:41pm
Sam Byrne
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:43pm
Stokes is the big one , i also had high hopes after watching Gareth Farrelly all those years ago , Mark Kelly was another one who never materialized , Stephen ireland  as well , in fairness keith Oneil was plagued with injury , he was a super player though 
royal rover
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:44pm
Joe Lapira!!!!!!
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:54pm
Noe Baba
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

Noe Baba

I remember there was a guy on these forums hyping this lad up to be a superstar. Playing with Waterford now. Suppose all of these names just go to show that there is more to it than just being talented in order to make it.
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 4:58pm
Owen Garvan
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:02pm
Aiden McGeady. He looked the part. Then moved to Russia and never progressed at all
Danger here, OH NO
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by royal rover royal rover wrote:

Stokes is the big one , i also had high hopes after watching Gareth Farrelly all those years ago , Mark Kelly was another one who never materialized , Stephen ireland  as well , in fairness keith Oneil was plagued with injury , he was a super player though 

Yep!!! I severely take it back about Keith O'Neill...I knew he was very injury prone but I just read on his Wikipedia that he had 2 spine conditions that nearly left him disabled!!! In that case 13 caps and 4 goals is downright outstanding ClapClapClap
5678 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:25pm
If they keep going in the same vain
Hendrick & Brady.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic