You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players need to look at themselves too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:07am
Playing long ball prevents not so technically gifted teams like Ireland from getting stuck in that "defensive shell" against more gifted opposition.

Watch a top premier league side play a weak side that attempt to play football and you'll see this - a game of attack versus defence for 90 minutes, in which any break by the weaker team is soon quelled and this continues.

This simple long ball tactic seriously reduces/eliminates this developing - a prime example being hoof ball Liverpool under Rafa Benitez that simply stopped other, often stronger teams from playing for large parts of games, and developed simple chances up front by sending it directly to people like Torres/Gerrard that could possibly create something - similar to Ireland with Keane/McGeady/(Duff).

Less technically gifted players can then stay behind the ball and press high up the pitch, playing long ball to "target" players that may create something, but if not the ball will come back to these players who will send it up again and repeat the cycle - this takes long periods out of a match and often results in low scoring games.

However the other team is prevented from playing/demoralised in that time, and it gives the weaker team something vital in life - as well as football - control.

Say what you want about Ireland last night. But we were in control for more - or - less all of that game - as well as games with more technically gifted opponents i.e. Slovakia

If a goal had of been created from a half chance we created early on, no one would be questioning today. Their goal was a good header and something very difficult to defend - would another team defend it?

People say Whelan can't play a five yard pass, then wonder why we don't encourage passing football more! Baffling. This team has a belief about it, it hasn't had for a long time. A belief, I believe got us those to goals five minutes from the final whistle.

Edited by GINN - 09 Sep 2012 at 1:09am
Sponsored Links

AaronFever View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:15am
Originally posted by SteviesGranny SteviesGranny wrote:

The players are playing to Traps instructions because if you don't you never have a chance of getting near the squad/team

Dunner said in an interview on RTE once that the manager wants them to play a passing game but the lads keep hoofing it because they get nervous on the ball.
Am I the only one who saw that because I feel like I'm going crazy trying to remind people of it.
FiremanDan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:15am
Originally posted by GINN GINN wrote:

Playing long ball prevents not so technically gifted teams like Ireland from getting stuck in that "defensive shell" against more gifted opposition.

Watch a top premier league side play a weak side that attempt to play football and you'll see this - a game of attack versus defence for 90 minutes, in which any break by the weaker team is soon quelled and this continues.

This simple long ball tactic seriously reduces/eliminates this developing - a prime example being hoof ball Liverpool under Rafa Benitez that simply stopped other, often stronger teams from playing for large parts of games, and developed simple chances up front by sending it directly to people like Torres/Gerrard that could possibly create something - similar to Ireland with Keane/McGeady/(Duff).

Less technically gifted players can then stay behind the ball and press high up the pitch, playing long ball to "target" players that may create something, but if not the ball will come back to these players who will send it up again and repeat the cycle - this takes long periods out of a match and often results in low scoring games.

However the other team is prevented from playing/demoralised in that time, and it gives the weaker team something vital in life - as well as football - control.

Say what you want about Ireland last night. But we were in control for more - or - less all of that game - as well as games with more technically gifted opponents i.e. Slovakia

If a goal had of been created from a half chance we created early on, no one would be questioning today. Their goal was a good header and something very difficult to defend - would another team defend it?

People say Whelan can't play a five yard pass, then wonder why we don't encourage passing football more! Baffling. This team has a belief about it, it hasn't had for a long time. A belief, I believe got us those to goals five minutes from the final whistle.

Can't agree with any of that to be honest. I would suggest that if we are going to persist with the long ball, as we did under Charlton for example, we do need to press much higher up the pitch. Admittedly we had far better players available to us under Charlton but nowadays not only do we concede possession very easily, we also concede space and even moderately technically competent teams can exploit this.

I disagree that we controlled the game last night, or the game against Slovakia that you mention (not the home one anyway). Our inability to retain possession and our tendency to concede space leaves us vulnerable against decent sides and performances such as those against Russia and the 3 in the Euro's is what ensues. This style of football has a limited life span in my opinion and will get found out sooner rather than later.
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:18am
Good post Ginn but I dont agree with some of your points. Slovakia dominated us in Lansdowne. Armenia likewise, Russia and even last night there were periods when Kazakhstan cut us open with fine passing moves which we dont seem to be able to do. With regards Whelan I said he cant play a simple pass over 5 yds. Thats why he shouldnt be in the team. I want lads who are comfortable on the ball and show for it and use it well. Whelan doesnt show for it and doesnt use it. No manager can improve his game.

With regards the tactics I understand your view but cant say I agree with it. 90% of our long balls give possession immediately to the opposition. Whelan and Andrews usually are not high enough up the pitch to win knock downs so we just lose the ball time afyer time. Under Jack the whole midfield would press very high up the pitch. That doesnt happen now so no pressure is applied to the long ball tactic so its very ineffective under Trap. Plus its painful to watch.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:24am

Playing long ball prevents not so technically gifted teams like Ireland These guys are professional, they are not under 12s trying to win the Mayo Shield. They are all technically good enough to pass the ball and recieve the ball. It isn't rocket science, it's rule 1 of how to play football.  from getting stuck in that "defensive shell" against more gifted opposition. I don't know what you mean here.

Less technically gifted players can then stay behind the ball and press high up the pitch, playing long ball to "target" players that may Yes, may create something. Long ball is a ridiculous tactic, and I genuinely believe it was taken to new lengths last night. 3 seconds into the game Ward smashed the ball 70 yards before a "target" even had time to get there. Total nonsense. What it says to me is that Trap, who I have defended for a long, long time, has absolutely zero faith in these players, because that football last night was absolutely disgusting. create something, but if not the ball will come back to these players who will send it up again and repeat the cycle - this takes long periods out of a match and often results in low scoring games. Yes, like beating one of the worst teams in world football 2-1 in the dying seconds.

However the other team is prevented from playing/demoralised in that time, and it gives the weaker team something vital in life - as well as football - control. Playing hoofball against a strong team will not give you control. Try playing long ball against Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland, and they will batter you 9 times out of 10. Giving the ball back to the opposition constantly is not a tactic.

Say what you want about Ireland last night. But we were in control for more - or - less all of that game - as well as games with more technically gifted opponents i.e. Slovakia  Slovakia are more technically gifted than Ireland? How? Why?

If a goal had of been created from a half chance we created early on, no one would be questioning today. I disagree. Their goal was a good header and something very difficult to defend A free header - would another team defend it? Yes

People say Whelan can't play a five yard pass, then wonder why we don't encourage passing football more! Baffling.  I can't speak for other people. What I do believe is that Andrews and Whelan, particularly Andrews, is a far better football than he gets credit for, and that is largely due to what he is required to do under instruction from Trap. Of course he can play 5 yard passes, he is a pro footballer for God's sake. This team has a belief about it, it hasn't had for a long time. A belief, I believe got us those to goals five minutes from the final whistle. A belief that we could win against one of the worst teams in the world.
If that is the standard the national team is setting, then we might as well just stop football here altogether. It is absolutely appalling. Schoolboy teams up and down this country are being urged to do the exact opposite of what happened last night. Why should they? That's all we build them up for, apparently.
Nobody is asking Ireland to play tiki-taka football, but there is a middle ground. Playing out from the back is an option when your back 4 has an entire half to work with for God's sake, at least then you know you will retain possession. I can't imagine what the team talk was like. Something along the lines of "Knock it up there and see what happens".  
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
GINN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:41am
I'm not too sure what ya did with my post there Mark.

In fairness to TrapJunior he took in my point, analysed it and could see some of my logic but disagreed. You on the other hand said in the first few lines that you didn't know what I was talking about. Yet you continued to undermine my points individually with quick, one line retorts!

You sound like you're more interested in the way we play our football and the way you believe the game should be played - you work with youth players, yeah?... wouldn't want them witnessing such a bad example of how to play football.

Personally, I'm more interested in the results. I feel this system is effective and has shown so.

Maybe now you've had time to cool off and assess the situation without too much emotion.

Edited by GINN - 09 Sep 2012 at 1:42am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:55am

I'm not too sure what ya did with my post there Mark.

In fairness to TrapJunior he took in my point, analysed it and could see some of my logic but disagreed. You on the other hand said in the first few lines that you didn't know what I was talking about. Yet you continued to undermine my points individually with quick, one line retorts! Just broke it down and responded with my opinion.

You sound like you're more interested in the way we play our football and the way you believe the game should be played Not more interested, no. But there is no reason we can't get results without resorting to what we saw last night. - you work with youth players, yeah?... wouldn't want them witnessing such a bad example of how to play football. We had a game today, and my players were discussing the match. They were disgusted. It certainly won't do football any favours in Ireland when you hear kids talking about how awful the team are to watch.

Personally, I'm more interested in the results. I feel this system is effective and has shown so. Again, I believe last night was the worst I have seen us play in donkies years. We had no interest in doing anything else other than hoofing it.

Maybe now you've had time to cool off and assess the situation without too much emotion.

A couple of things:

I am tired of people using the word "technical" all the time. It's the new buzz word, but do people know what it means? You don't need to be technically brilliant to pass and recieve the ball. Our 2002 squad was not technically brilliant, but we played some brilliant football.

There are varying levels of technique, and last night displayed an absolute bottom of the barrell example of that. Those players are better than the football they played last night.

There are middle grounds. You have Spain, where technique is the foundation of everything. Passing, recieving, 1v1s, changing direction, the ability to get out of high pressure, tight situations by being able to manipulate the ball with any part of either foot. And then you have what we displayed last night. Again, I think we took it to a new level last night. James McCarthy is technically very good, but he spent most of his time watching the ball float over his head.

I can't see any logic whatsoever to the way we approached last night's game. There was no reason in the world why we couldn't get the ball on the ground and play. But we had absolutely no interest in it.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:09am
Mark Glenn Whelan and I dont want to pick on him but god he is dispiriting to watch. Against Italy in Poznan he intercepted a ball and a break was on. He ran with the ball and was under no pressure but you could see how unvonfortable he was on the ball and panicked and hit a stupid chip attempt to Robbie which was easily intercepted. It was a real scoring opportunity. So is the problem lack of confidence or ability to use it constructively? I think its mostly British type players dont want the ball for more than a touch or two and sh*tthemselves if they have to hold onto it any longer than 2 seconds.
Mark in your opinion why cant Whelan find his man on 90% of his passes? Why do I see him regularly under little pressure misplace a 5 or 10 yard pass routinely?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why do I see him regularly under little pressure misplace a 5 or 10 yard pass routinely?

Because he has never been required, or asked to play 5 or 10 yard passes throughout his career, would be my best guess. Certainly isn't asked to do it for Ireland
GINN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:32am
Have to agree with that point Trap Junior.

Apart from McGeady and Doyle last night, it was clear that no one wanted to do anything creative with the ball - every time someone got on the ball they looked to give it to someone else who might do something with it - no one wanted the responsibility of doing something that might change the game.

However, is that something they could be criticised heavily for? Glenn Whelan, for instance, is not a creative player. At club level, where foreigners and others can be bought, he is not expected to perform such a role because that is not the player he is. Unfortunately at international level we cannot buy players as we wish to fit a certain quality.

Therefore people like Whelan are berated for not shape-shifting to fill that void. But how can he? That isn't the type of player he is. He cannot play as a playmaker because that is not the sort of player he is. Just because no one else is there to create our chances from midfield, he is expected to.

I think that's a bit unfair. If you were managing a youth side, and your natural playmaker in midfield left, you wouldn't berate your other centre midfielder for not replacing your old one - because that is not the type of player they are.

I think Trap has cleverly acknowledged the serious flaws within this Irish side in certain aspects, and penetrated it's strong points to hide it's weaknesses.

John O'Shea will never be a flying, attacking full back with blistering pace to fly down the right wing and constantly deliver crosses into the box, but he is one of the most calm defenders on the planet, capable of settling others and allowing talented players like Aiden McGeady to attack the opposition like he is capable of - Trap knows this and the sooner our fans do the better.

Edited by GINN - 09 Sep 2012 at 2:35am
Godot View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by trapforpresident trapforpresident wrote:

Interesting article in todays examiner by k andrews ,he says trap tells full back to play ball into midfield if its on ,not to play long he goes to defend trap . 
the article is online here: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/few-positives-but-we-still-won-206938.html 

Doesn't surprise me at all. The standard of central midfielder available to us is pretty poor and is unable to complete the task on a regular basis, either by not showing for the ball or giving it away cheaply when they do get it.

Take any two from Whelan, Andrews, McCarthy, Gibson, Fahey, Meylor.
Would any of these get into our centre midfield c. 1980-2002? Don't think so.

When McCarthy dropped deep for the ball he was constantly ignored by the centre backs. So they are either thick as feck or under instructions to boot it long. It's hard for the central midfielders to make a meaningful impact when the ball is constantly flying over their heads.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:50am

Have to agree with that point Trap Junior.

Apart from McGeady and Doyle last night, it was clear that no one wanted to do anything creative with the ball - every time someone got on the ball they looked to give it to someone else who might do something with it - no one wanted the responsibility of doing something that might change the game.

However, is that something they could be criticised heavily for? Glenn Whelan, for instance, is not a creative player. At club level, where foreigners and others can be bought, he is not expected to perform such a role because that is not the player he is. Unfortunately at international level we cannot buy players as we wish to fit a certain quality.

Therefore people like Whelan are berated for not shape-shifting to fill that void. But how can he? That isn't the type of player he is. He cannot play as a playmaker because that is not the sort of player he is. Just because no one else is there to create our chances from midfield, he is expected to.

I think that's a bit unfair. If you were managing a youth side, and your natural playmaker in midfield left, you wouldn't berate your other centre midfielder for not replacing your old one - because that is not the type of player they are.

I think Trap has cleverly acknowledged the serious flaws within this Irish side in certain aspects, and penetrated it's strong points to hide it's weaknesses.

John O'Shea will never be a flying, attacking full back with blistering pace to fly down the right wing and constantly deliver crosses into the box, but he is one of the most calm defenders on the planet, capable of settling others and allowing talented players like Aiden McGeady to attack the opposition like he is capable of - Trap knows this and the sooner our fans do the better.

Trap doesn't let our full backs off the leash, at all!! And because of that McGeady is constantly faced with a 2v1 situation. Nobody is asking Glenn Whelan to become Xavi and start making defence splitting passes. Keeping the ball is not a difficult thing to do, especially not last night, but there is clearly absolutely no trust in those players whatsoever, and that is totally and utterly wrong. John O'Shea has boxfulls of medals at the highest level, do you think he learned to hoof the ball at Man United? Him being calm doesn't allow Aiden McGeady to attack, him being restricted makes McGeady far less effective! Christ all we need is the odd overlap!

We had James Mc in midfield yesterday, a fine technical player with more than enough ability to create in midfield, but he was not given the opportunity.

What are you suggesting Glenn Whelan does, just kick the ball away when it comes to him? Is that seriously what Irish football has been reduced to? Are we really lacking so much in talent that the only thing we can do to win football games is kick the ball as hard as we can and just see what happens?

I'm not having a go at you here Ginn but I really can't believe you're trying to justify what happened last night. Nothing about last night was logical. It was farcical and downright embarrassing. If it was Northern Ireland we'd all be having a good laugh at them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic