You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 438439440441442 449>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Who's the last "greatest" player to declare for Ireland?

Mark Lawrenson for me if you are asking Greatest Player overall as in talent and full professional career.

If we are just counting what they achieved in a green jersey then I think its between Andy Townsend and Ray Houghton. Gonna go for Houghton for the key moments on the highest stage in the biggest games.
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 8:14am
Josh key, right back plays with Swansea(23) declares interest in playing for us. I know very little about him tbh
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 8:37am

Interesting one. A right back who can apparently cover left back too. His great-grandfather from Laois was captain of the Irish rugby team at one point and his grandmother was also born in Laois, making him eligible for Ireland, and he's keen to play for us.

Has a lot of football under his belt, played three full seasons in the lower leagues the last three years before getting his move to Swansea in the summer. Seems to have made a really good impression in the Championship since his move and has plenty of time on his side to move up another level if he's good enough. 

Good to see the likes of him and McAteer coming through out of nowhere, while it's great to see the young Irish born lads coming through in the last few years with our small population in relative terms we will always need a body of players who qualify through parentage to build depth in the squad.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 8:48am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Josh key, right back plays with Swansea(23) declares interest in playing for us. I know very little about him tbh

Not exactly the typical background LOLEmbarrassed

Edited by giveittochristie - 20 Oct 2023 at 8:49am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 8:50am
Swansea supporters seem to absolutely love him anyway. One to keep an eye on.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 8:58am
I'm not sure I'd be parachuting him in to the next squad ahead of Doherty, Ebosele, Sykes, Browne but he certainly looks an interesting prospect with Coleman surely nearing the end of his Irish career and young Doherty growing a little less young.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:13am
Never hurts to have another full-back option. Hopefully Cirkin declares soon to give us more cover on the left.
We're decent enough..
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:14am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I'm not sure I'd be parachuting him in to the next squad ahead of Doherty, Ebosele, Sykes, Browne but he certainly looks an interesting prospect with Coleman surely nearing the end of his Irish career and young Doherty growing a little less young.
I don’t know definitely worth having a look at when he can cover both sides the bigger the playing pool the better and I think it sends out the right message that we are willing to give the granny rulers ago.

Things are bad we can leave no stone unturned if we are going to return to being competitive.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:16am
Great stuff.

Nice to get some of these lads on board at a slightly younger age than usual too.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:23am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Never hurts to have another full-back option. Hopefully Cirkin declares soon to give us more cover on the left.
Never give up on your dream of an Anglo 11.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:44am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Cirkin was born in Dublin to Latvian parents, how is that "Anglo"?

Edited by The O'Shea - 20 Oct 2023 at 9:44am
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I don’t know definitely worth having a look at when he can cover both sides the bigger the playing pool the better and I think it sends out the right message that we are willing to give the granny rulers ago.

Things are bad we can leave no stone unturned if we are going to return to being competitive.

A certain amount of care has to be taken too e.g. you bring Key in and start him ahead of Ebosele vs New Zealand - thats probably not a great idea for squad morale! I'm all for making the squad more competitive and Key looks like a lad that might be useful at some point, but as of now he's played a handful of games in the Championship at age 23 (24 next month). 22yo Joel Bagan played 26 games in the Championship at age 21 for Cardiff scoring 3 goals as a LB/LWB, he's now on loan at Zulte Waregem in the Belgian 2nd division.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 10:20am
I wouldn't be playing Ebosele RB. If we're switching to 4-3-3 should be competing with Ogbene for that RW spot.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 11:22am

He was English all the way when he thought he was going to be a player.
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 11:32am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Hopefully he can unlock the Dutch defence 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 11:50am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

I wouldn't be playing Ebosele RB. If we're switching to 4-3-3 should be competing with Ogbene for that RW spot.

I dont know much about Key but apparently he has only started 3 games out of 11 at RB this season, 1 at LB, 4 at LWB and 4 as a RM, so I have no idea what his best position is. The Beeb article suggests his fav position is Right Wing Back.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 11:56am
Both himself and McAteer are represented by the same Agency, which is a bit of a coincidence - both are with the London based Two Touch Agency (biggest clients - Ollie Watkins and Ethan Pinnock)

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 12:00pm

Not that it matters in the slightest as far as I'm concerned, but he did leave Dublin for London at age 3 and has represented England at U16, U17, U18 and U20 level, so thats a bit "Anglo" tbf.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 438439440441442 449>
  Share Topic