You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 386387388389390 452>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 9:38am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I was being sarcastic. 
Another journey man failing to make it for England chooses Ireland. We've enough center halves anyway.

Yep, but these "jokes" about it being his dream, of HH's take that he has a big ego to think he'd get into our squad (which the player never said) grow legs.
It's insidious.

Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 9:47am
I don't give 2 hoots if they grow legs or not. These chancers shouldn't by anywhere near the squad.

I've no issue with these lads coming on board, but not when the England dream is over.

Homegrown Irish players are missing out.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 9:54am

I don't give 2 hoots if they grow legs or not. These chancers shouldn't by anywhere near the squad.

I've no issue with these lads coming on board, but not when the England dream is over.

Clap
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 10:23am

Chancers like Ray Houghton (obviously Scottish but a similar situation) and many more from our greatest ever squads?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 10:24am

You would have hated Jack Charlton's team! 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 10:39am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Chancers like Ray Houghton (obviously Scottish but a similar situation) and many more from our greatest ever squads?

Different times. For various reasons we are not as reliant on the granny rule anymore. We could rely exclusively on Irish-born players and not be that worse off. 

The dregs of what England produce like Louie Watson and Conor Coventry and Cyrus Christie aren't going to change anyone's fortunes drastically in international football, and at that point you're probably just better working with players who've come through domestically.

The threads on the ones with the best, game changing, talent could reach 50000 posts before they'd contemplate going with Ireland.

There's no point babbling about lads like Liam Delap as if he's going to settle for Ireland when history shows (Davies/Noble/O'Hara/Nolan/Maddison/Bamford), he's either not going to play for us or he'll be approaching thirty when he does.

People should give attention to young Irish players. But I guess it's not as fun when there's a will he won't he approach to things.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 03 Jul 2022 at 10:35pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:07am

Don't get me wrong. I don't doubt that some of these players made a huge contribution and were very successful, fully committed and I idolised some of them when I was a kid. But that was then. I do think we have good strength in depth for some of these lads to be not considered.

I'm a little dubious about players making the switch past 21.

I just think the rules are too loose and that think they should be tightened a little.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:15am

👍
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Different times. For various reasons we are not as reliant on the granny rule anymore. We could rely exclusively on Irish-born players and not be that worse off. 

The dregs of what England produce like Louie Watson and Conor Coventry and Cyrus Christie aren't going to change anyone's fortunes drastically in international football, and at that point you're probably just better working with players who've come through domestically.

Conor Coventry has been excellent for our youth teams and could develop into an international standard of player for us. Not sure why you have to call him "dregs" so disrespectful are "england cooties" that bad we have to disrespect players that have shown us nothing but loyalty and enthusiasm to wear the shirt.

I have no issue with not going after dual nats especially when we are clear 2nd choice to them and they don't improve us but we shouldn't stereotype them. It's possible to feel attachment to several countries...

Edited by SC92 - 01 Jul 2022 at 11:19am
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:26am

The threads on the ones with the best, game changing, talent could reach 50000 posts before they'd contemplate going with Ireland.

There's no point babbling about lads like Liam Delap as if he's going to settle for Ireland when history shows (Davies/Noble/O'Hara/Nolan/Maddison/Bamford), he's either not going to play for us or he'll be approaching thirty when he does.

People should give attention to young Irish players. But I guess it's not as fun when there's a will he won't he approach to things.

Big difference between someone like Coventry who represented Ireland at underage level since he was 16 compared to a player declaring at 24 after representing a different country. 

Plenty of people not born in Ireland to Irish parents who feel Irish first or whose preference is to play for Ireland.  

Team Emmet
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:39am
And I'm sure there are English lads who would've only played for England who had proud Irish roots. 

The bottom line is pretty much anyone who's been good enough to play for both over the last thirty years has picked England.

Jack Grealish played GAA growing up but identified primarily as English and wanted to play for England.

There are lads less in touch with their roots than him who didn't have a choice to make and so went with us.

Conor Coventry wouldn't get within an arse's roar of the English setup so that's neither here nor there.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:44am
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Conor Coventry has been excellent for our youth teams and could develop into an international standard of player for us. Not sure why you have to call him "dregs" so disrespectful are "england cooties" that bad we have to disrespect players that have shown us nothing but loyalty and enthusiasm to wear the shirt.

I have no issue with not going after dual nats especially when we are clear 2nd choice to them and they don't improve us but we shouldn't stereotype them. It's possible to feel attachment to several countries...

Your completely misinterpreting what I've said. 

Coventry and many many others have played with us from the very START. There is simply no question about their allegiances here.

They want to play for Ireland and ARE playing for Ireland.

Robinson, Will Keane and Clarke-Salter as an example, have all played for England through the underage setup, their now senior players who are nowhere near good enough to play for England so they switch to Ireland to further their own careers.

Will Keane's twin brother plays for England. 
2 twins playing for different countries! give me a break.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:49am

Don't think it has been officially confirmed yet, but it is being reported as permanent in the local media. Surprised at the low fee as he had made a few first team appearances. Compared to Bazunu's fee for instance. But they seem to have decided that he won't make it there and he's in the last year of his contract.

Signed a 4 year deal with the Clarets from between £300,000 to £750,000 plus a 30% sell on deal if sold . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:01pm

Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Your completely misinterpreting what I've said. 

Coventry and many many others have played with us from the very START. There is simply no question about their allegiances here.

They want to play for Ireland and ARE playing for Ireland.

Robinson, Will Keane and Clarke-Salter as an example, have all played for England through the underage setup, their now senior players who are nowhere near good enough to play for England so they switch to Ireland to further their own careers.

Will Keane's twin brother plays for England. 
2 twins playing for different countries! give me a break.

There is many examples of family members playing for different counties it's not unique to Ireland. I'm not going to defend the Will Keane call up though I don't personally think he adds anything to the squad and I wouldn't take his brother either as I find him a very average CB.

I'm sure there are many English (and other countries) players who aren't patriotic and play international football because its an indication of success rather than some deep loyalty. So personally I just don't see any point to assigning any player motive we will never really know if a player wants to play for Ireland so  I'm going to judge by their performances and attitude not paranoia that they would rather be playing for another country.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:05pm
I can’t help but feel we’d be gushing over the possibility of a switch if a player was a regular at Liverpool or Man U, and was switching international allegiances. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:07pm
Mark Noble could have played for Ireland, he would definitely been a starter and won many caps, he also would have played in 1 if not 2 major championships.

He captained England at underage and always maintained his dream was to play for England.

He has a massive Irish family (some of whom live in my area), but he declined a call up because he said it wasn't right and that he would ultimately be taking another players place and denying their dream to play for Ireland.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:17pm

Mark Noble could have played for Ireland, he would definitely been a starter and won many caps, he also would have played in 1 if not 2 major championships.

He captained England at underage and always maintained his dream was to play for England.

He has a massive Irish family (some of whom live in my area), but he declined a call up because he said it wasn't right and that he would ultimately be taking another players place and denying their dream to play for Ireland.

O'Hara and Kitson said similar. Always admired that.

In fairness to the likes of Will Keane and Callum Robinson, the only thing separating them from a lot of the lads who've played with us all through the age groups (I'll use Coventry as an example) is that, at one stage or another, they were good enough to wear an England shirt. You can attribute loyalty to lads who've always worn an Ireland shirt but a lot of them never had a choice to make as they were never on the radar.

Connor Ronan is on the fringes of the senior squad right now and has rotated between intl teams. That's as embarrassing as anything.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:33pm

Connor Ronan is on the fringes of the senior squad right now and has rotated between intl teams. That's as embarrassing as anything.

This is not true.
He lined out for two England U17 friendly matches and thereafter only played for Ireland underage teams.
No rotation involved.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 386387388389390 452>
  Share Topic