You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 366367368369370 450>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Have we lost a player to Nigeria yet? I have it in my head there was one that went to them, but can't think of anyone specifically.

The vast majority of our players of African descent are <25 so this will be a more interesting discussion in another 5 or 6 years time.

Michael Obafemi and Chiedozie Ogbene declared for us but a quick perusal of Wikipedia shows Nigeria select forwards who play in the PL, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and for sides like CSKA Moscow and Olympiakos, so if they can't get into our squads, it's doubtful they'd get anywhere near their first XI.

Peter Kioso, Mipo Odubeko and Armstrong Okoflex's international futures are in flux.

Olamide Shodipo and Emmanuel Osadebe are way off.

Adam Idah and Andrew Omobamidele are probably the best dual-eligible prospects but they have an Irish parent, which meant losing them was less of a worry.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 9:25pm
Is Christy Pym confirmed as an Irish player yet? He's playing very well for Peterborough against West Brom tonight.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 11:16pm
Is Conor Gallagher eligible?

Says on his wiki he is but of course not always the most reliable source 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 11:39pm
Technically yes, I think he is but in the same way that Patrick Bamford is, i.e. not at all interested.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Is Conor Gallagher eligible?

Says on his wiki he is but of course not always the most reliable source 

He is yeah I remember his dad saying he was. But really zero chance of him switching.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 8:08am
Gallagher played for England Under 21s at the Euros after his 21st birthday, so unless he has an Irish born parent (or unless he had gained Irish citizenship through a grandparent before his first appearance for England Under 17s) he is no longer eligible for us under the regs.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 10:55am
even under the 2-3 year rule thing that Obafemi could use to represent Nigeria? 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 11:06am
Yes, the three year changeover thing doesn't apply once a player is capped after their 21st birthday (including at Under 21 level if they weren't already a citizen of the country they could otherwise switch to).

Edited by You Tell Me - 29 Aug 2021 at 11:08am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 6:41pm

Yes, the three year changeover thing doesn't apply once a player is capped after their 21st birthday (including at Under 21 level if they weren't already a citizen of the country they could otherwise switch to).

We 100% sure of this?
The rules state capped over 21 in an "A International" is binding.
I have never been clear on what that term means and asssumed it meant just Senior Internationals but am happy to be corrected.

gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Technically yes, I think he is but in the same way that Patrick Bamford is, i.e. not at all interested.

On Chelsea's books getting loaned and played at premiership clubs? yep like Bamford not a fking chance he 'declares'
ShaneDun View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaneDun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 7:17pm
from today's Sunday life :

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/topics/ian-baraclough-40675707/ - Ian Baraclough is intent on doing right by Liverpool teenager Conor Bradley in his international career and hopes he will develop into an important player for  https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/topicsorthern-ireland-40705018/ - Northern Ireland.

There have been suggestions that the Republic of Ireland are keen on the 18-year-old defender from County Tyrone who made his Northern Ireland bow as a late substitute in a 3-0 friendly win over Malta in May.

ShaneDun View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaneDun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 7:25pm
Bournemouth goalkeeper Josh Clarke also in the N.I under squad after joining up with us last month. they did that also with Rio Mc Evoy
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

We 100% sure of this?
The rules state capped over 21 in an "A International" is binding.
I have never been clear on what that term means and asssumed it meant just Senior Internationals but am happy to be corrected.

The "A international" bit is clear enough - it means a capped senior international. Play one of those after your 21st birthday and your tied, nice and simple.

The issue with the non "A international" games is from the following section of the new regulations - Section b - which allows switches in the following circumstances:

b) the player:
i) was fielded in a match in an official competition at any level 
(with the exception of “A” international level) in any kind of 
football for his current association;
ii) at the time of being fielded for his first match in an official 
competition in any kind of football for his current association, 
he did not hold the nationality of the association which he 
wishes to represent;
iii) at the time of being fielded for his last match in an official 
competition in any kind of football for his current association, 
he had not turned 21 years old; and
iv) meets any of the requirements provided in article 6 or article 7.

So, what that is saying is that in a situation where a player has played for another country, let's say England, but not at senior level (i) and where the player didn't hold the nationality of the country he wants to switch to (let's say Ireland) when he first played for his original country (ii), the switch is fine only if he has not played for England at any level after his 21st birthday (iii) and he meets the qualification requirements - grandparent born in Ireland etc. (iv)

Now, we have seen with previous cases that to "hold the nationality" in the case of Ireland you need to have either been born in Ireland, had a parent born in Ireland or gone through the foreign birth register process if it's only a grandparent connection. This is what caused the Ryan Johansson issue and the regulation above is what makes him eligible again. Because he hadn't played for another country, even underage, after his 21st birthday it no longer mattered that he hadn't become Irish before his first underage appearance for Luxembourg.

This would no longer apply to Gallagher though as he has now played for England Under 21s after his 21st birthday, making him ineligible for Ireland. The only way that wouldn't be the case is if the definition of "holding the nationality" in the case of Ireland was changed back to including people eligible only through grandparents and who hadn't been through the foreign birth register process - that would need a clarification from FIFA or a challenge to CAS, neither of which I have seen to date.

Hope that makes sense, the new regs are convoluted to put it mildly.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by ShaneDun ShaneDun wrote:

Bournemouth goalkeeper Josh Clarke also in the N.I under squad after joining up with us last month. they did that also with Rio Mc Evoy

Edited by King_Kenny - 30 Aug 2021 at 12:47am
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 3:30am
Originally posted by ShaneDun ShaneDun wrote:

The Josh Clarke one is mad - only 17 and already played or called up to squads for England, Ireland and Northern Ireland - in that order.  

Lined out for our U18s a few weeks back and now in the NI u19 squad. Just seeing whichever one takes his fancy.  

Rio McEvoy one also odd - born and raised in Dublin, but has a Mum from Newry, so in NI u-19 squad having previously been in our one.

Mad, Ted.  
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:08pm
I see that Jack Wilshere is linked with a move to Serie B club Como so I decide to look up Como on Wikipedia out of sheer boredom.

One of their former players is called Amrit Bansal-McNulty, a Northern Ireland U-21 international on loan from QPR.

His full name is Amrit Padraig Singh Bansal-McNulty, which is one of the greatest names I've ever heard.

Give him a call and we could have a Garcia McNulty and a Bansal-McNulty in the same team.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 31 Aug 2021 at 8:15pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I see that Jack Wilshere is linked with a move to Serie B club Como so I decide to look up Como on Wikipedia out of sheer boredom.

One of their players is called Amrit Bansal-McNulty, who is a Northern Ireland U-21 international on loan from QPR.

His full name is Amrit Padraig Singh Bansal-McNulty, which is one of the greatest names I've ever heard.

Give him a call and we could have a Garcia McNulty and a Bansal-McNulty in the same team.

Fire me his number and il see what he thinks.

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 11:41pm
Patrick Bamford been honest why he didn't want to represent us 

Edited by Healy52003 - 31 Aug 2021 at 11:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 366367368369370 450>
  Share Topic