You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 358359360361362 451>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:06am
So it looks like we have Ryan Johansson now. Well, is he any good????
It's not me it's you:-)
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:08am
In light of the Johansson situation, I wonder if there is going to be any knock on for other players that Kenny recently named as being ineligible. 

This was Kennyin September:
"It didn't matter if your grandfather was Irish if you didn't have citizenship," said Kenny, before noting FIFA's intention to relax rules on switching for players under the age of 21. "A lot of the players that people assumed qualified didn't qualify," he said.

In February I think he mentioned Kieran Dowell as not qualifying.

Wonder if that has now changed?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:10am
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Languid centre mid. Looks a bit like Steve mcmanaman. My honest take is that it’s still in the air whether he’ll be good enough, but Sevilla gave him a 6.5 year contract with the understanding that he would challenge for the first team almost immediately. He’s been injured this season though (proving his Irish credentials)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:44am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Languid centre mid. Looks a bit like Steve mcmanaman. My honest take is that it’s still in the air whether he’ll be good enough, but Sevilla gave him a 6.5 year contract with the understanding that he would challenge for the first team almost immediately. He’s been injured this season though (proving his Irish credentials)

Agree with that. Difficult to say if he'll be a great player but he is very highly rated.

I would think he moved away from bayern to play first team football. As mentioned Savilla gave him an unprecedented long term contract.

personally I think he's one of the best prospective players we have that's not a defender/goalkeeper. (I'm thinking Collins, oshea, bazunu and kelleher)

We don't have many (any) technical midfielders with the probable exception in Smallbone.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:45am
He's played just 18 minutes for the B team this year, and that was on April 25th, so he's still coming back from an extended injury (he'd last played before this back in October '20).

Be nice if he got a few more minutes with the club and met up with the 21's with fitness on the way back at the end of May.

I'd say it's 50/50 at this stage if he can even go to the 21's camp due to a lack of fitness.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Re Mark Sykes, it is curious that for one who insists he was always so keen to represent ROI, Sykes never actually got round to making a call to anyone at Abbotstown himself to let them know.

For he has finally revealed that it took a call from Ruaidhrí Higgins to set the process in motion, not the other way round.

And this call came on the eve of Ian Baraclough's first game in charge of NI's seniors when, knowing Sykes from the U-21's, Bara was going to call him up.

A bit like James McClean happily accepting a call up for a senior NI competitive game which would have tied him, only Niall Quinn got onto him at the last minute.
Except that didn't happen - McClean spoke to Quinn to contact the FAI on his behalf. Same as it didn't happen the last time I corrected you on that
https://forum.ybig.ie/underage-squads-best-prospects_topic49854_post2258563.html#2258563

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Re Mark Sykes, it is curious that for one who insists he was always so keen to represent ROI, Sykes never actually got round to making a call to anyone at Abbotstown himself to let them know.

For he has finally revealed that it took a call from Ruaidhrí Higgins to set the process in motion, not the other way round.

And this call came on the eve of Ian Baraclough's first game in charge of NI's seniors when, knowing Sykes from the U-21's, Bara was going to call him up.

A bit like James McClean happily accepting a call up for a senior NI competitive game which would have tied him, only Niall Quinn got onto him at the last minute.
Except that didn't happen - McClean spoke to Quinn to contact the FAI on his behalf. Same as it didn't happen the last time I corrected you on that
https://forum.ybig.ie/underage-squads-best-prospects_topic49854_post2258563.html#2258563

LOL
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:10pm
He looked a really tidy and technical player when he played pre season for Bayern . Then again so did Troy Parrott. But it’s great news potentially 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:08pm

In light of the Johansson situation, I wonder if there is going to be any knock on for other players that Kenny recently named as being ineligible. 

"It didn't matter if your grandfather was Irish if you didn't have citizenship," said Kenny, before noting FIFA's intention to relax rules on switching for players under the age of 21. "A lot of the players that people assumed qualified didn't qualify," he said.

If Dowell has a grandparent born on the island of Ireland he now qualifies for us. Although he played for England underage after his 21st birthday (which would usually tie him down) because those appearances were before September 2020 they don't rule him out.

The only question with Dowell in terms of eligibility now is whether he does in fact have an Irish born grandparent. After that it's just a question of whether he would actually be interested in playing for us.
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

If Dowell has a grandparent born on the island of Ireland he now qualifies for us. Although he played for England underage after his 21st birthday (which would usually tie him down) because those appearances were before September 2020 they don't rule him out.

The only question with Dowell in terms of eligibility now is whether he does in fact have an Irish born grandparent. After that it's just a question of whether he would actually be interested in playing for us.
I think Kenny said he is not eligible 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:46pm

Are you telling me that in all the time McClean was at Derry City, when ROI were already capping a load of under-age players at the club, he didn't know anyone there who could give him a name/niumber at the FAI?

You know, someone like his Manager, a certain Stephen Kenny?

And that with McClean then having happily accepted the call-up to represent NI in a full competitive match which would have tied him, Quinn took the chance of missing out entirely while he waited for McClean to pipe up?

Aye, both very likely... LOL
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 4:53pm
80 caps later, all's well that ends well. Mark Sykes into the play-offs with Oxford also, hopefully he will break through.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 5:38pm

Are you telling me that in all the time McClean was at Derry City, when ROI were already capping a load of under-age players at the club, he didn't know anyone there who could give him a name/niumber at the FAI?

And that with McClean then having happily accepted the call-up to represent NI in a full competitive match which would have tied him, Quinn took the chance of missing out entirely while he waited for McClean to pipe up?

CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:29pm

Quinn confirmed it in this interview - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrfwsj?start=388
Quoted for the next time you post it
Quote His chairman, and his parents both expressed, and he did too, a desire, that if possible, he would like to come under the Republic's wing. He was born and bred in Derry and saw himself as a player of Ireland extraction, or republican extraction I should say, and we set about doing that. The FAI, we contacted them, they said ok, Niall we'll trust you as well, but I was trusting Pop(Sunderland's scout in Ireland who had recommended McClean), and Pop was trusting James

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 12 May 2021 at 11:42pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:12am
17-year-old Jack McGlynn is starting for Philadelphia Union tonight. He's eligible. Father is Irish.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 13 May 2021 at 1:14am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

17-year-old Jack McGlynn is starting for Philadelphia Union tonight. He's eligible. Father is Irish.
Hadn’t heard of this one before. How do you know about his father?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 12:49pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO8uwBDA71k
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:14pm

Interesting. From Queens apparently so he’s probably grown up in a pretty Irish environment 

Got some praise on his debut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 358359360361362 451>
  Share Topic