You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Players eligible for Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Players eligible for Ireland

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 271>
Author
Message
coyne View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Location: Sunderland
Status: Offline
Points: 13794
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:14pm
I'm looking forward to the Doc's response to the post. 

He loves a shoite talk and this is the best whopper in a while.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Location: Boston, USA
Status: Online
Points: 2133
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Fifa rules are a shambles.

Ansu Fati lives in Spain 9 years, gets given Spanish citizenship and should now be available to line out for spain. No real ties to the country, just lived there...

Johansson or Crowley actually have ties to Ireland, needs to be reviewed as they played in some underage games for another team... which is something lots of players have done.

I have a lot less issue with Fati than I do with the cap-a-Brazilian approach if they’ve played in a country for 5 years. Fati was raised in Spain throughout his childhood, so has a tangible connection.

One thing that hasn’t been picked up much: Niall Quinn suggested in his LOI plan would benefit us because we could naturalize foreign players coming in. That’s maddening 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Back to Top
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 02 Sep 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 210
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Conor Gallagher wins the EFL's Young Player of the Month award:  

And Frank Lampard took a dump this morning..
Back to Top
Left foot View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 16 Aug 2019
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 314
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Fifa rules are a shambles.

Ansu Fati lives in Spain 9 years, gets given Spanish citizenship and should now be available to line out for spain. No real ties to the country, just lived there...

Johansson or Crowley actually have ties to Ireland, needs to be reviewed as they played in some underage games for another team... which is something lots of players have done.

I have a lot less issue with Fati than I do with the cap-a-Brazilian approach if they’ve played in a country for 5 years. Fati was raised in Spain throughout his childhood, so has a tangible connection.

One thing that hasn’t been picked up much: Niall Quinn suggested in his LOI plan would benefit us because we could naturalize foreign players coming in. That’s maddening 

C'mon Declandaly, I lived in Japan for 10 years, it doesn't make me Japanese this is no different. 

Its unlikely that at any point in history he has ties to Spain. 

Yet the Spanish government are expiditing his citizenship because of football.
Back to Top
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 19 Sep 2016
Location: Harchester
Status: Offline
Points: 1088
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:


So absurdly, even though Wales isn't even a country - and their inclusion in FIFA really just a historical anomaly -  they get easier eligibility rules than the rest of us. 

Wales is a country and it has been since the mid-11th Century.

What exactly makes you an expert judge of whether or not they are a country ?

Ersatz, do you think the day is coming that Scotland will get its independence and become a proper country too?
Back to Top
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Location: Glasgow
Status: Offline
Points: 710
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:


Ersatz, do you think the day is coming that Scotland will get its independence and become a proper country too?

Oh, how highly original ! That wounds me deeply. Wilde and Shaw would no doubt salute your cutting wit. How will I ever recover ? 

So what makes you such an expert that you can make such an ignorant statement that Wales is not a country ? 

Have you authored many books or monographs on the subject ? What with you being a renowned expert and all that, then you surely must have done so.

Presumably Catalonia and Euskadi are not countries either in your excellencies learned opinion ?
Back to Top
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 19 Sep 2016
Location: Harchester
Status: Offline
Points: 1088
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:11pm
Ersatz, remind us, how did Euskadi and Catalonia get on in the last Euro qualifiers?
Back to Top
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Location: Glasgow
Status: Offline
Points: 710
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Ersatz, remind us, how did Euskadi and Catalonia get on in the last Euro qualifiers?

Your not exactly the new Dave Allen are you ?

Could you please just answer my question - what exactly makes you a judge of whether Wales is a country or not ?

It's a very simple, straightforward question. It's not a trick. Just an answer please.

You could of course have the good grace to admit you were wrong and that Wales is indeed a country. 
Back to Top
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 19 Sep 2016
Location: Harchester
Status: Offline
Points: 1088
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:29pm
Ersatz, do you know any Welsh citizens?  Citizens of "the country" of Wales?

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 20 Sep 2019 at 7:29pm
Back to Top
coyne View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Location: Sunderland
Status: Offline
Points: 13794
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Ersatz, do you know any Welsh citizens?  Citizens of "the country" of Wales?

Roald Dahl. Wrote loads of funny novels, a bit like this one.
Back to Top
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1485
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Ersatz, remind us, how did Euskadi and Catalonia get on in the last Euro qualifiers?

Your not exactly the new Dave Allen are you ?

Could you please just answer my question - what exactly makes you a judge of whether Wales is a country or not ?

It's a very simple, straightforward question. It's not a trick. Just an answer please.

You could of course have the good grace to admit you were wrong and that Wales is indeed a country. 

Apparently it's only if they're recognised by FIFA as being such and play qualifying matches - except if it's Wales or Scotland. Cast iron logic.

Someone moron on here said recently that Wales couldn't be a country because it doesn't issue its own currency. The Republic of Ireland hasn't done so since 1999!


Edited by NewtNewbie - 20 Sep 2019 at 7:40pm
Back to Top
Left foot View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 16 Aug 2019
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 314
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:42pm
Sorry I asked now 
Back to Top
Territorial View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton


Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 3227
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Its unlikely that at any point in history [Ansu Fati] has ties to Spain.

From his Wiki page:

His father is ex-footballer Bori Fati, who was from Guinea-Bissau. After immigrating to Portugal, he set up some teams in the lower leagues. There, he read a story of the Andalusian town Marinaleda, situated near Seville, that was offering work to immigrants. After begging for food on the streets of Marinaleda, he met the mayor and found a job as a driver. Then he settled in Herrera, a nearby town, where Ansu would spend most of his childhood and where he would get his football enlightenment training. Though born in Guinea-Bissau, Bori has said he is "a Sevillian"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansu_Fati


Edited by Territorial - 20 Sep 2019 at 7:50pm
Back to Top
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Location: Boston, USA
Status: Online
Points: 2133
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Fifa rules are a shambles.

Ansu Fati lives in Spain 9 years, gets given Spanish citizenship and should now be available to line out for spain. No real ties to the country, just lived there...

Johansson or Crowley actually have ties to Ireland, needs to be reviewed as they played in some underage games for another team... which is something lots of players have done.

I have a lot less issue with Fati than I do with the cap-a-Brazilian approach if they’ve played in a country for 5 years. Fati was raised in Spain throughout his childhood, so has a tangible connection.

One thing that hasn’t been picked up much: Niall Quinn suggested in his LOI plan would benefit us because we could naturalize foreign players coming in. That’s maddening 

C'mon Declandaly, I lived in Japan for 10 years, it doesn't make me Japanese this is no different. 

Its unlikely that at any point in history he has ties to Spain. 

Yet the Spanish government are expiditing his citizenship because of football.

I understand where your coming from, but there’s a big difference in being raised in a country from the age of 7 to living in a country as an adult. 7-16 are formative years. Most importantly, he is eligible for a Spanish passport after 9 years, no matter how good he is at football.

I agree with Fati’s right to call himself Spanish when he’s been raised in Spain. I don’t agree with CJ Standers right to play for Ireland after three years here.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Back to Top
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 19 Sep 2016
Location: Harchester
Status: Offline
Points: 1088
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:10pm
[/QUOTE] Apparently it's only if they're recognised by FIFA as being such and play qualifying matches - except if it's Wales or Scotland. Cast iron logic.

Someone moron on here said recently that Wales couldn't be a country because it doesn't issue its own currency. The Republic of Ireland hasn't done so since 1999!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, Wales's FIFA membership (as with Scotland's) is a historical anomaly going back to the fact the first "internationals" were between the states that make up the UK.

If Wales and Scotland (or England or NI) applied for FIFA membership today, they wouldn't get in.  Just like Catalonia and Euskadi or the People's Republic of Cork.  They'd have to apply as the UK.  


Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 20 Sep 2019 at 8:12pm
Back to Top
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Location: Glasgow
Status: Offline
Points: 710
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Ersatz, do you know any Welsh citizens?  Citizens of "the country" of Wales?

That's your argument, mere citizenship ?

You really think that's great logic do you ?

The body of academic opinion strongly disagrees with you. Wales is a nation. But what's the point arguing with such ignorance ?

Still if that's what you want to cling to. So be it.

The fact remains that Wales is a country. It was a country before you and I were born. It will be a country when you and I are both gone.

Might I suggest that you read the works of two very great Irish heroes, Pádraig Pearse and Terence MacSwiney, to understand just what exactly a nation is.  

That's my last word on the subject. You my friend can have your thread back now to revel in the labyrinth of FIFA's eligibility rules.
Back to Top
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1485
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Apparently it's only if they're recognised by FIFA as being such and play qualifying matches - except if it's Wales or Scotland. Cast iron logic.

Someone moron on here said recently that Wales couldn't be a country because it doesn't issue its own currency. The Republic of Ireland hasn't done so since 1999!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, Wales's FIFA membership (as with Scotland's) is a historical anomaly going back to the fact the first "internationals" were between the states that make up the UK.

If Wales and Scotland (or England or NI) applied for FIFA membership today, they wouldn't get in.  Just like Catalonia and Euskadi or the People's Republic of Cork.  They'd have to apply as the UK.  
[/QUOTE]

Gibraltar. The Faroe Islands. Kosovo.

Anyway the point is that FIFA aren't the arbiters of what does and does not constitute a country.
Back to Top
Left foot View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 16 Aug 2019
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 314
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:39pm

[/QUOTE]

I understand where your coming from, but there’s a big difference in being raised in a country from the age of 7 to living in a country as an adult. 7-16 are formative years. Most importantly, he is eligible for a Spanish passport after 9 years, no matter how good he is at football.

I agree with Fati’s right to call himself Spanish when he’s been raised in Spain. I don’t agree with CJ Standers right to play for Ireland after three years here.

[/QUOTE]

You're going down a dark road with that one declandaly 

If 3 years is not enough and 7 years is ok, what's the absolute minimum? Is 5 years still ok but 4 years and 364 days not? If not why not.

If the persons age is a factor, what's the oldest you can be? Is 10 ok but 11 too old and again why? 

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 271>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.