You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 450>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 12:58am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

The obsession here with lads that don't play for us is nearly at delusional level. It always increases when results are poor too. If MON did cap every single player mentioned above in a game, the same lads who populate these threads would name another 25 players before halftime and want all them capped in the next game. And another dozen the game after that.  Step away from the computer games lads, it doesn't happen in real life. It won't happen with MON, and it won't happen with whoever the next manager is either, or the one after that. 

But by all means dream away and keep posting the fantasy teams and compiling lists of players that will never kick a ball for us, mainly down to the fact that they either aren't good enough, or for some strange reason, want to play for another country such as the one they were born in, the oddballs. 

But it is happening with Wales, the US, Norn Iron, and to a lesser extent England and Scotland.  Look at the players they've called up the past three years say and tell me you disagree. 

There is no reason why a ROI manager should not be conscious of this issue, as his international counterparts are, and act accordingly. 
Sponsored Links

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:00am
Have to say I'll be having a real dig at green devil if Grealish moves to the premier league. Took the piss out of me over the last year or so cos Grealish was stuck in the Championship and I had said back in 2015 he looked like a future England international. GD has gone a bit quiet on that front lately, but I haven't forgotten. He wasn't the only one, there was derision from a number of posters. 
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:22am
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating scrapping the granny rule or anything, it has served us well in the past, and I'm sure will do in the future. But there are also games to be won, and mass experimentation just to tie down someone who we know is a professional footballer and not a lot more about them, on the off chance they might be good enough in 3 or 4 years time, is unrealistic, even from a logistical point of view.

There is also this blithe assumption that everyone somehow wants to play for us,  or could be easily induced into playing for us, though I have no idea why that would be the case, we're rubbish. I have zero idea why Declan Rice wants to play for us, there must be a strong familial tie, because it sure can't be for football reasons. If I were his (for argument's sake, neutral) agent, I'd be telling him to run a mile. We are all delighted that he does play for us, but Grealish is the flipside of that coin, he was asked, he refused, that is his choice. Blaming the FAI or MON might be popular, but doesn't make it correct. 

We couldn't even get Liam Kelly to join us, and he has achieved zero in the game as of yet, but again it wasn't because he wasn't asked. These things are going to happen. For all MON's faults, and I have been critical of him elsewhere, I think he does recognise the glaring weaknesses in our team, particularly the central midfield and strikers, hence he did actually go chase Grealish, Kelly & Hogan, and has also looked at Irish alternatives in Browne, Maguire & Burke. 

I'm not as sure as to what specific areas Wales & Scotland are weakest in, but you will likely find there is a correlation between that and the young players they have recently capped. NI are a bit of a different case, their pick is so small they take whatever they can get to add to general squad depth. On here though, it is just name after name thrown out, regardless of position or ability, not necessarily saying that is the case with yerself, but in my view, often boils down to just naming lads for the sake of it, or used as a stick to beat MON/FAI with. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:30am
You're right Rolo, there was.  But lads have a lot of growing to do at the age of 20, physically and in terms of maturity, so it's not a surprise it takes a while to get to the top.  

There's no doubt Grealish is top, top quality: dribbling, pace, touch, accuracy of pass, shooting, athleticism, fitness, sacrifice-for-the team.  I imagine he'll be capped for England within the next 18 months, if not the next six.  There were question marks from some respectable quarters when himself and Sessegnon weren't called up for the WC squad.   
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

You're right Rolo, there was.  But lads have a lot of growing to do at the age of 20, physically and in terms of maturity, so it's not a surprise it takes a while to get to the top.  

There's no doubt Grealish is top, top quality: dribbling, pace, touch, accuracy of pass, shooting, athleticism, fitness, sacrifice-for-the team.  I imagine he'll be capped for England within the next 18 months, if not the next six.  There were question marks from some respectable quarters when himself and Sessegnon weren't called up for the WC squad.   

I find that extremely hard to believe.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 3:52am
It sounds like a mugging down a dark alleyway the way people talk about getting unwitting lads to play for us in a competitive international and then theres this big "gotcha!" moment where we turn around to them and tell them they're stuck with us forever. 

Grealish and whoever else can talk sh*te all they want when they're in the U21s about how they love ireland and once drank a pint of Guinness and it was great, but they're as aware as anyone about the decision that goes into it and its consequences. Grealish didn't fancy playing for us when we wanted to call him up, if we had called him up for Gibraltar he'd just as likely have told us to f**k off then. Same with Liam Kelly and whoever else you care to mention. 

These are/were decent players in the Championship when we attempted to call them up, it's not as though they're star players at Manchester City. An England call-up for them right now isn't realistic by some distance no matter who the tabloids are linking them with today or tomorrow. Yet they still don't want to play for us. So i doubt luring them in at a young age to tie them down would have been massively successful

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 31 May 2018 at 3:58am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Feck sake Jack Grealish possibly going to Man United 

Why didn't we try and cap him early 

Yeah, Grealish and Adam Idah are going to be the United front 2 next season.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Have to say I'll be having a real dig at green devil if Grealish moves to the premier league. Took the piss out of me over the last year or so cos Grealish was stuck in the Championship and I had said back in 2015 he looked like a future England international. GD has gone a bit quiet on that front lately, but I haven't forgotten. He wasn't the only one, there was derision from a number of posters. 

That's pretty childish tbh. 

Here are your own words.

England are home and hosed in euro 2016 qualifying. If Grealish declares for them, he'll be capped competitively in September. 

Which he wasn't.

My words.

1. Personally, I don't think he's good enough overall anyway, even if he does mature to make it at the highest level. (top EPL club) 

2. Just because he comes across as a tricky winger and has some fancy skills in his locker I really think his all round game isn't of the required standard to ever be a top EPL player.

3. I reckon he will spend the majority of his career in the Championship, he hasn't done anything for me consistently to suggest otherwise.

That was from January 2017, to his credit he has had a very good season in the Championship this campaign.

But the argument wasn't whether Jack would light up the Championship, so come back to me when he's playing week in week out for one of the best sides in the EPL like a good man.

Edited by Green Devil - 31 May 2018 at 10:29am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:38am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

You sound like you're comparing a few posts on a forum in the same way you would hold a grudge against someone who robbed your house.

I'm more than happy to debate this on the Grealish thread by the way Big smile

Also, I rarely post on here anymore tbh hence why I've gone "quiet"

Edited by Green Devil - 31 May 2018 at 10:44am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:03am
This Forum is gone to the dogs. If someone wants to play for us they will you cant force someone to.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:04am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

The obsession here with lads that don't play for us is nearly at delusional level. It always increases when results are poor too. If MON did cap every single player mentioned above in a game, the same lads who populate these threads would name another 25 players before halftime and want all them capped in the next game. And another dozen the game after that.  Step away from the computer games lads, it doesn't happen in real life. It won't happen with MON, and it won't happen with whoever the next manager is either, or the one after that. 

But by all means dream away and keep posting the fantasy teams and compiling lists of players that will never kick a ball for us, mainly down to the fact that they either aren't good enough, or for some strange reason, want to play for another country such as the one they were born in, the oddballs. 

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:31pm
Former underage cap Reise Allasani is working his way back up the leagues with a move to Coventry 

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:18pm
FFS not this again! 

HE DID NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAID SO HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!!

PLAYED UNDERAGE FOR US BECAUSE HIS CLUBMATES DID!!!!!!!!

WANTS TO PLAY FOR ENGLAND!!!!!!!!?
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

FFS not this again! 

HE DID NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAID SO HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!!

PLAYED UNDERAGE FOR US BECAUSE HIS CLUBMATES DID!!!!!!!!

WANTS TO PLAY FOR ENGLAND!!!!!!!!?

Allasani? Who really cares, he'll never play for England, but if he can improve us there's no reason he shouldn't be asked.
We're decent enough..
NIGreenWall View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIGreenWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 5:28pm

Even yesterday, the Nordies are capping Shayne Lavery, a huge prospect at Everton; Peacock O'Farrell, Leeds' first choice keeper now and young; and Paul Smyth, the young, promising QPR winger.  

All these lads are eligible for us, and there is nothing to say that they'd like to represent us if we made some sort of an effort, particularly Lavery and Smyth who've both made positive soundings. 

And we seem to have made little or no positive effort to get these obvious talents on board, whereas Michael O'Neill is clearly on to them all the time, praising them in the media etc., in the same way Coleman was about the Welsh caps, or Strachen was about Ollie Burke. 

It interesting you mention the FAI not making an effort in approaching players, to be honest no fans of any association know what really goes on behind the scenes, case in point being Bailey Peacock-Farrell hopefully our (NI) future number one confiming today that the FAI did approach him but he turned them down.

Quote While Peacock-Farrell's club form earned him a call-up for Northern Ireland's tour of Central America, Michael O'Neill's interest was sparked a number of years ago.

The 21-year-old, who qualifies for Northern Ireland through his grandparents who hail from Enniskillen, remembers a conversation he had with the international boss at a team hotel in Manchester two years ago.

"England had called me up but I had an operation booked on a wrist injury. So nothing came from that. The Republic of Ireland were also interested but it wasn't the route I wanted to go down," he added.

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 7:17pm
Indeed, but the difference was that, NI, like Wales and England, but unlike us, had their head man get in touch personally and invest some time and effort in the fella, even if he wasn't going to get a senior call-up immediately, or necessarily ever.   That's why he's interested and apparently committed to NI. 

It seems very unlikely MON or RK got in touch with him.  Maybe if they did, he would have reached a different conclusion, as all things being equal, ROI is objectively a better option that NI, despite NI's relatively recent (and rare) high-ish position in the rankings. 

I'd love to see our MON or RK test that commitment.

The article continues:

"Northern Ireland made me feel very welcome from day one. They were watching me playing on a regular basis, even for the U23s.

https://get.convrse.media/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.belfastlive.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Fbailey-peacock-farrell-living-dream-14729242&cre=bottom&cip=43" style="background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; font-size: 16px; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(20, 20, 20); font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif; float: left;">

"Michael actually called me down about two years ago to a Northern Ireland training camp in Manchester. We spoke at the hotel and told me there was an opportunity for me.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 7:26pm

Indeed, but the difference was that, NI, like Wales and England, but unlike us, had their head man get in touch personally and invest some time and effort in the fella, even if he wasn't going to get a senior call-up immediately, or necessarily ever.   That's why he's interested and apparently committed to NI. 

It seems very unlikely MON or RK got in touch with him.  Maybe if they did, he would have reached a different conclusion, as all things being equal, ROI is objectively a better option that NI, despite NI's relatively recent (and rare) high-ish position in the rankings. 

I'd love to see our MON or RK test that commitment.

The article continues:

"Northern Ireland made me feel very welcome from day one. They were watching me playing on a regular basis, even for the U23s.

https://get.convrse.media/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.belfastlive.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Fbailey-peacock-farrell-living-dream-14729242&cre=bottom&cip=43" style="background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; font-size: 16px; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(20, 20, 20); font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif; float: left;">

"Michael actually called me down about two years ago to a Northern Ireland training camp in Manchester. We spoke at the hotel and told me there was an opportunity for me.

Sleepy
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 7:26pm
English man wants to play for England.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 167168169170171 450>
  Share Topic