You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 162163164165166 452>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Brandon O’Neill is being lined up for a move to Europe next season as the Sydney FC midfielder seeks to enhance his hopes of a call-up by the Republic of Ireland.

Is he any good?

No idea. If he was, then Australia would have most likely have capped him by now....

Edited by grannyrule - 20 Apr 2018 at 10:33am
The only way is up
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 11:34am
He's an ever-present in a team that is far and away the best in the A-league, so it's certainly unusual that he's never even been called into the Aussie squad. Unless he's told them his ambition is to play for Ireland of course... The fact he's played for the at U-23 level would suggest that's not the case through, and he's open to either option.
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:50am
MON has been spotted attending QPR under-23 games, according to Rob Brennan on Twitter.

Brennan says that Paul Smyth is the only player eligible between the two sides, during the game in question.

Unlikely, but perhaps MON is trying to sway him? 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

MON has been spotted attending QPR under-23 games, according to Rob Brennan on Twitter.

Brennan says that Paul Smyth is the only player eligible between the two sides, during the game in question.

Imagine he switched. The Meltdown from Terri and others would be amazing LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Imagine he switched. The Meltdown from Terri and others would be amazing LOL

Even if Smyth was to go on and have a poor footballing career with us, the reaction alone would be absolutely beautiful. In fact, the reaction would be so nasty that I’d imagine that it might help a few other young lads who are wavering, fully make up their minds. 

Still though, pretty unlikely switch at this stage. MON must be tracking someone else that we aren’t aware of.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:22am

There are two other NI players in QPR's U-23 squad (Charlie Owens and Chris Paul), so Brennan hasn't done his research too thoroughly there. It's also possible Grant Hall was lining out for them, I think he was out injured for a while so he could be making his comeback.

Edited by The O'Shea - 30 Apr 2018 at 11:22am
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 2:03pm
Think Grant Hall is still out injured and not back until the new season is even started. 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:47pm
Bringing up an old one: 

Was watching Kyle Naughton there playing for Swansea in their 1-0 defeat to Chelsea.  Thought he had a very good game.  Does anyone know whether the FAI ever pushed it with him or if he showed any interest?  

Would be a quality addition IMO. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 10:16pm
If he could play left back, I'd say go for it. But does he want to be Seamus Coleman's reserve?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Bringing up an old one: 

Was watching Kyle Naughton there playing for Swansea in their 1-0 defeat to Chelsea.  Thought he had a very good game.  Does anyone know whether the FAI ever pushed it with him or if he showed any interest?  

Would be a quality addition IMO. 

He's almost 30, the ship has probably sailed. We'll have Matt Doherty playing Premier League football next year, so along with Coleman and Christie I think we're reasonably ok for right-backs at the moment.

Edited by The O'Shea - 30 Apr 2018 at 10:44pm
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:54pm
He'd be a better player than either Christie and Doherty at the moment IMO, but as you say maybe the ship has already sailed. 

In other news, looks like Smyth is well and truly gone as an option, given MON's comments today.  Shame, as the boy has potential, and would seem to have had a strong interest, at least at one point. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

He'd be a better player than either Christie and Doherty at the moment IMO, but as you say maybe the ship has already sailed. 

In other news, looks like Smyth is well and truly gone as an option, given MON's comments today.  Shame, as the boy has potential, and would seem to have had a strong interest, at least at one point. 

Meh, I'm not sure I'd concur with that. Naughton is steady, but I think both Doherty and Christie are far better going forward than he is. If he wanted to come on board I'd have no problem, but I'm not pushed either way.

Pity about Smyth, his comments suggest to me that he's almost waiting to  be asked, but doesn't want to cause trouble by actually initiating things himself.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:23pm
Yep, I get that impression re Smyth alright.  Having a dream debut for NI helps though, and as others have posted here, as things stand the North is doing exactly as well as us in the last few campaigns.

Would disagree Doherty and Christie as good as Naughton.  An entire career of PL experience v not a single PL appearance is fairly conclusive for me.  Would like to see MON explore such avenues a little closer.  
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:43am

Or perhaps he's watching whoever is in opposition to QPR U23s?
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:06pm
The only way is up
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:20pm
Robinson is a no-brainer, O’Neill would be interesting.

O’Neill watched Shamrock Rovers v Cork City last week. Would like to know what he thinks of Graeme Burke, Aaron Bolger etc.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:53pm
O'Neill should call up Robinson asap, get him involved as early as possible and he'll see first hand if Callum can offer something different for the Nations Cup.

No use throwing him in at the deep end in a big game in a years time, get him settled and in the squad for the upcoming friendlies.

Graham Burke would definitely benefit from even training with the squad, if he keeps up his current form he'll be back across the water sooner rather than later.

In regard to Brandon O'Neill, the chances of him making the Aussie squad for the WC are minimal so we have a window of opportunity to see first hand during the June friendlies if he can too offer something different to the squad.

The more competition in centre midfield the better. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:15pm
Do you think the Brandon O'Neill thing is just so he can get a work permit for Europe? Fast track the passport application etc....
It's not me it's you:-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 162163164165166 452>
  Share Topic