Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 157158159160161 451>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:49pm
No, we should be playing players that will bring us success and be professional in their performances for us. It's all very well and good saying we only want green-blooded, fervent nationalists playing for us, but that sentiment loses its attraction if you're getting a drubbing every match. There's no feeling like winning, and no one would give a toss about Liam Kelly's, Jack Grealish's, Mark Noble's etc national sentiments if they helped us get to a World Cup. Give me Mark Lawrenson over Paul McShane any bloody day of the week...

Edited by The O'Shea - 21 Mar 2018 at 1:49pm
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We should only be playing players that genuinely want to play for us.

Totally agree. But by the same token, I don’t mind where we find them. If they are good enough, and want to play, I want them.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:05pm

In rugby the lads who play here for a couple of years are eligible, with no family connection.

I'm sure playing internationally for Ireland would not have been on their minds 8 or 9 years ago, having never stepped foot in the country.

It doesn't take much for someone to "want" to play for us.

At the very least, we should be forcing as many borderline youngsters as possible into a situation where they have been capped, so if they play internationally its with us or nobody.

We don't have a massive amount of players to choose from, managers should be asking anybody and everybody available.

Get them capped and see where it goes from there. Better to have the bloody option though no? If application and desire is a problem down the line then don't call him up again. But at least we could have the choice.

The way it is done now is farcical. They are relying on the player to do the groundwork instead of them doing it. There's no point in getting on the high horse - if he is eligible in any way, extend the invitation.

Edited by E2016 - 21 Mar 2018 at 2:06pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm
You should NOT be forcing players to do anything. The squad should only be make up of fully committed players.

If they don't want to play so be it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:43pm
talking about 'forcing' players to play for us would create a squad that nobody would want to share a dressing room with or cheer on in a stadium.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:07pm
You *can’t* actually force anybody to play for us, otherwise Roy would be stalking the streets of Reading right now like the childcatcher from chitty chitty bang bang
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 4:46pm
Obviously they can reject the call. But at that age they are more likely to accept it.

The forcing part is them not being able to change after making that initial decision.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 5:50pm
Then that's not forcing, it's the logical consequence of the players individually made decision.
We're decent enough..
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:05pm
O neill say anything more on bamford our robinson over the last few days
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:50pm
Robinson in the process of getting his passport isn't he? 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Robinson in the process of getting his passport isn't he? 
cause of brexit ya?
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 12:23pm
Think the point is we need a strong unified dressing room to punch above our weight. We can't afford to have players whose heart is not in it. That does not mean they have to be singing rebels songs and f**k the queen etc it just means players they are 100% committed to the cause. 
It's not me it's you:-)
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

At the very least, we should be forcing as many borderline youngsters as possible into a situation where they have been capped, so if they play internationally its with us or nobody.

What about the boys who are born and bred in the Republic? No grannies elsewhere, nobody in the North? Leave them out of squads while we play a succession of 'borderline' Nordies, Scottish and English who are early on in their career in the off chance that they might one day be good enough for a regular starting place?

That's a load of nonsense. Players should be called on merit, not to tie them to us. Even as it stands, letting English fellas in ahead of home grown talent when they're better doesn't seem right. Doing it when they are inferior is just wrong 100%.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 4:56pm
Jamal Lewis - highly rated 20 yo Norwich left back with Mam from Belfast:   https://www.balls.ie/football/norwich-youngster-northern-ireland-385632

In the North's senior squad along with Conor Hazard, a Celtic keeper on loan at Falkirk we've been hearing about for some time.  Is there any reason we've let these boys slip through the net?  

I hope we're keeping tabs on these lads, as obviously they won't be committed to the North even if they play against South Korea. 
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Jamal Lewis - highly rated 20 yo Norwich left back with Mam from Belfast:   https://www.balls.ie/football/norwich-youngster-northern-ireland-385632

In the North's senior squad along with Conor Hazard, a Celtic keeper on loan at Falkirk we've been hearing about for some time.  Is there any reason we've let these boys slip through the net?  

I hope we're keeping tabs on these lads, as obviously they won't be committed to the North even if they play against South Korea. 

Hazard eh? Could do with a Hazard..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:17pm
Watching Northern Ireland under-21's against Spain at the moment, game is currently 3-3. There are a few lads playing for the North who we should be keeping tabs on.

Shayne Lavery, Liam Donnelly and Conor McDermott have all looked very decent. Paul Smyth has been quiet enough.

dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:38pm
Heard the lads Whyte and Sykes are another 2 top prospect and also Celtic fans.

Pity looks like we lost Hazaard.

Edited by dubstep - 22 Mar 2018 at 10:47pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Watching Northern Ireland under-21's against Spain at the moment, game is currently 3-3. There are a few lads playing for the North who we should be keeping tabs on.

Shayne Lavery, Liam Donnelly and Conor McDermott have all looked very decent. Paul Smyth has been quiet enough.

Careful the DUP and Michael  O'Neill will be livid about the very idea.
Big smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 157158159160161 451>
  Share Topic