You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by HampshireDub HampshireDub wrote:

Originally posted by SeanG4393 SeanG4393 wrote:

This is so refreshing to read. 

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal met in Birmingham after both sets of families had moved over to Birmingham during the 50's and 60's as just children. I had the typical Irish upbringing where you spent the 6 weeks holiday in Ireland and it was more like home than anything, Birmingham just being where you went to school and had a house. 

Mainly in secondary school I was referred to as a 'Palstic' and this continues up to this day. Bumping into a few old school friends in the local last week I was asked why are you going to the euros with Ireland it should be England, when not one of them have set foot inside Wembley.. 

I've only ever known Ireland as a nation and they are the only nation I have supported my memories of International football are a shade of Green with the 2002 penalty tears (the first tournament I fully understood at the age of 8) 

Yes I have a Birmingham accent, this is something i'm very proud of football is a huge passion of mine and Birmingham city are my team I enjoy having this accent and follow my club across England. Whilst in Poland in October I simply tried to advise a man in a bar where he could watch the Ireland vs France Rugby match when he whispered into his friends ear not very quietly I asked for Ireland vs France not England, In fairness his friend nearly died of embarrassment and apologized for his mate. Of course there have been people along the way that have embraced it and looked far past the accent that have became good friends that i'm travelling to France with. 

I could type a novel about this matter to try and educate people but sometimes the shortest replies are the best and a simple F**k Off to the great uneducated can do the trick. 
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm a regular home and away </span>traveler<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> and France will be my first major tournament with Ireland (A £2.52 an hour apprenticeship at the time didn't quiet take me to Poland) It's a dream come true for me to be travelling and attending games at the Euros it something I've looked forward to for years and something I will carry with me my whole life. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. </span>

Are you with the West Midlands supporters club ?
If so I probably met you in Poznan.
Remember having a great song song with a few of you boys wearing west mids polo tops ?
Great bunch. Hope I bump into you in France.

Little side story as there's a chance you might even know the bloke in question.
Took my son to see Reading V Birmingham city first game of last season.
Scorching hot day if you recall and got into the ground only to realise I had about 80p in my wallet. Asked a steward of there was an ATM walking distance he politely informed me I would struggle to get back into the ground.

He noticed my accent and asked where I was from.
I bough it was a bit odd but he returned 5 minutes later with two bottles of water and a bag of haribo sweets for the wee man.
Proceeded to lift his hi vis and showed me a shamrock / brum City pin badge.
A touching gesture I didn't catch his name but will be forever grateful to him for doing that.

Bon chance mo chairde

I do know the lads in question but wasn't with them in Poland. Yep the Caravan is making the trip to France so will be a good number over there. 

I'm not 100% who it was, I was at that game myself we robbed the three points that day off you. I can find out who was though and pass on your thanks again. 

Below is my flag. I like Ireland flags having club badges on as well. I understand some people don't so I think it is just personal preference anyway. I wanted my flag to be very personal to myself and something I would have for many years. 

Guiden, is my surname 
Birmingham City, my club team 
The Fighting Irish, due to not only the element of fighting to follow Ireland but also Ireland generally being proud of what is ours. 
We're on the one road, one of my favorite Ireland songs and one that can be related to greatly. 

Had to leave the link below due to the image being too big to upload. 

Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:49pm
Know plenty of 'plastics' as they are referred to, all every bit as Irish as the rest of us, often more so. Would love if we could swap the half a million who voted blueshirt for half a million of these lads!
HampshireDub View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HampshireDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:03pm

Originally posted by HampshireDub HampshireDub wrote:

This is so refreshing to read. 

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal met in Birmingham after both sets of families had moved over to Birmingham during the 50's and 60's as just children. I had the typical Irish upbringing where you spent the 6 weeks holiday in Ireland and it was more like home than anything, Birmingham just being where you went to school and had a house. 

Mainly in secondary school I was referred to as a 'Palstic' and this continues up to this day. Bumping into a few old school friends in the local last week I was asked why are you going to the euros with Ireland it should be England, when not one of them have set foot inside Wembley.. 

I've only ever known Ireland as a nation and they are the only nation I have supported my memories of International football are a shade of Green with the 2002 penalty tears (the first tournament I fully understood at the age of 8) 

Yes I have a Birmingham accent, this is something i'm very proud of football is a huge passion of mine and Birmingham city are my team I enjoy having this accent and follow my club across England. Whilst in Poland in October I simply tried to advise a man in a bar where he could watch the Ireland vs France Rugby match when he whispered into his friends ear not very quietly I asked for Ireland vs France not England, In fairness his friend nearly died of embarrassment and apologized for his mate. Of course there have been people along the way that have embraced it and looked far past the accent that have became good friends that i'm travelling to France with. 

I could type a novel about this matter to try and educate people but sometimes the shortest replies are the best and a simple F**k Off to the great uneducated can do the trick. 
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm a regular home and away </span>traveler<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> and France will be my first major tournament with Ireland (A £2.52 an hour apprenticeship at the time didn't quiet take me to Poland) It's a dream come true for me to be travelling and attending games at the Euros it something I've looked forward to for years and something I will carry with me my whole life. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. </span>

Are you with the West Midlands supporters club ?
If so I probably met you in Poznan.
Remember having a great song song with a few of you boys wearing west mids polo tops ?
Great bunch. Hope I bump into you in France.

Little side story as there's a chance you might even know the bloke in question.
Took my son to see Reading V Birmingham city first game of last season.
Scorching hot day if you recall and got into the ground only to realise I had about 80p in my wallet. Asked a steward of there was an ATM walking distance he politely informed me I would struggle to get back into the ground.

He noticed my accent and asked where I was from.
I bough it was a bit odd but he returned 5 minutes later with two bottles of water and a bag of haribo sweets for the wee man.
Proceeded to lift his hi vis and showed me a shamrock / brum City pin badge.
A touching gesture I didn't catch his name but will be forever grateful to him for doing that.

Bon chance mo chairde

I do know the lads in question but wasn't with them in Poland. Yep the Caravan is making the trip to France so will be a good number over there. 

I'm not 100% who it was, I was at that game myself we robbed the three points that day off you. I can find out who was though and pass on your thanks again. 

Below is my flag. I like Ireland flags having club badges on as well. I understand some people don't so I think it is just personal preference anyway. I wanted my flag to be very personal to myself and something I would have for many years. 

Guiden, is my surname 
Birmingham City, my club team 
The Fighting Irish, due to not only the element of fighting to follow Ireland but also Ireland generally being proud of what is ours. 
We're on the one road, one of my favorite Ireland songs and one that can be related to greatly. 

Had to leave the link below due to the image being too big to upload. 

Yeah you did pinch the three points glad u said it !

I wrote to Birmingham City pointing out where he was located asking he be recognised for it. Was a superb gesture.

Enjoy France Sean.
Hope to see you there
Draw me a compass I need a MAP
SouthDerryMan View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthDerryMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:19pm
few of these stories gave me goosebumps..up the irish!!

we "nordies" can sometimes bare the brunt of this abuse as well 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:35pm
I often wonder if this type of abuse only happens to lads with English accents.
I doubt you'd be abused if you were of irish parentage who spoke with an Italian or German accent. On the contrary I'd say you'd be slapped on the back and welcomed.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:38pm
The old hayfever must be getting to me. Eyes were welling up reading some of the posts lol. Great to hear peoples stories, ignore the bellends, thankfully they are few and far between
PT7 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:51pm
I'm a lot like a few of the lads that have already posted. Originally from England with Irish Grandparents and moved to this green isle in 1998 and still have a bit of an accent (more drink means more culchieSmile). I've never experienced any abuse at matches to be honest but I can understand why it would get annoying. Hopefully won't see any in France either, but if I do then my logic is to just laugh it off. As one poster has put it, accents mean nothing and I believe its whats in the heart and soul, and by God mine runs Green... 

Edited by PT7 - 02 Jun 2016 at 2:53pm
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 3:02pm
I got a bit of this being a nordy at the euros last time, expect it again this time round too but like your man said a big tournaments brings all sorts of glue bags out of the woodwork. Hasn't happened since and who ever I've sat beside home or away has being 100%. Reckon personally the passion and pride James mc clean shows in the shirt has filtered through too some fans. Anyway don't sweat the small clueless element.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 4:25pm
Quote Soldiers are we , whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
Some have come from a land beyond the wave.

It's at the start of the anthem ffs!!

Great thread lads

Born and bred in Ireland but have lived in both London and the US for a good few years before returning in 2005. Had many relatives return 'home' to us when I was young for their holidays. There was never a question as to their ethnicity.

I absolutely detest people born in the 26 counties who think anyone born elsewhere is not Irish or in some way less Irish. They really just don't get it. Irishness is an identity. Some of our country's best weren't born here ffs.

James Connolly, Bobby Sands and Kevin Kilbane. I'd like to see one of the anti-2g/6 county brigade tell me they aren't Irish.

Edited by eire77 - 02 Jun 2016 at 4:26pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Know plenty of 'plastics' as they are referred to, all every bit as Irish as the rest of us, often more so. Would love if we could swap the half a million who voted blueshirt for half a million of these lads!
So 'Blueshirts' aren't Irish, no ?

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

So 'Blueshirts' aren't Irish, no ?

Where did I say they weren't? Would just be great if we could swap them
N as in Knife View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote N as in Knife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 5:09pm
Great thread. Excellent topic. 
Cant believe this type of thing happens to people.. 
Even if some people are not Irish... they can still support our boys in green as far as i'm concerned.  

Edited by N as in Knife - 02 Jun 2016 at 5:12pm
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Quote Soldiers are we , whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
Some have come from a land beyond the wave.

It's at the start of the anthem ffs!!

Great thread lads

Born and bred in Ireland but have lived in both London and the US for a good few years before returning in 2005. Had many relatives return 'home' to us when I was young for their holidays. There was never a question as to their ethnicity.

I absolutely detest people born in the 26 counties who think anyone born elsewhere is not Irish or in some way less Irish. They really just don't get it. Irishness is an identity. Some of our country's best weren't born here ffs.

James Connolly, Bobby Sands and Kevin Kilbane. I'd like to see one of the anti-2g/6 county brigade tell me they aren't Irish.

This Thumbs Up. To be fair, it's only a minority of arseholes. I remember being in Malta in 1999 for the game there and there were a group of shaven-headed guys with the broadest Essex accents you'd ever hear staying in our hotel. We got chatting and it turned these lads were also over for the game, and prouder Irishmen you'd never meet
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

I got a bit of this being a nordy at the euros last time, expect it again this time round too but like your man said a big tournaments brings all sorts of glue bags out of the woodwork. Hasn't happened since and who ever I've sat beside home or away has being 100%. Reckon personally the passion and pride James mc clean shows in the shirt has filtered through too some fans. Anyway don't sweat the small clueless element.

Yeah there's an idiotic minority 26-county element that see anyone from north of the border as 'foreign'. Annoy's the f**k out of me though I'd say many of them are johnny-come-latelies anyway.

As for actual foreign-born fans, I have friends and relatives from Canada, the US, Scotland and England who have Irish parents and who are all huge fans of TBIG. To be honest, I'd be inclined to welcome any foreign-born person willing to support us, regardless of whether they have Irish ancestry or not. It's a compliment that we should be willing to return.
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by SouthDerryMan SouthDerryMan wrote:

few of these stories gave me goosebumps..up the irish!!

we "nordies" can sometimes bare the brunt of this abuse as well 

"Why don't you support your own team?" 

Have had that said to me in the past.
OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

"Why don't you support your own team?" 

Have had that said to me in the past.

Ask what Premier League team do they support LOL then tell em to F*** Off.

Know my lad was asked when we back in Uk after we went out of Euro2012, "Does this mean you will support England now because Ireland are out"................................... hard to stop grinning when he replied "No, Why would I support England, I'm Irish".
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Yeah there's an idiotic minority 26-county element that see anyone from north of the border as 'foreign'. Annoy's the f**k out of me though I'd say many of them are johnny-come-latelies anyway.

As for actual foreign-born fans, I have friends and relatives from Canada, the US, Scotland and England who have Irish parents and who are all huge fans of TBIG. To be honest, I'd be inclined to welcome any foreign-born person willing to support us, regardless of whether they have Irish ancestry or not. It's a compliment that we should be willing to return.

Unfortunately the Free State is full of partitionists and West Brits.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:19pm
There was an Irish chap on our campsite in Miasto outside Poznan in 2012 who was in the UK a life time and had 2 boys with him and only had 2 tickets . He said he would search for another ticket for the older chap the day of the game . He was about 14/15 and his father got him the ticket and told him to go on in and not to worry that he would meet him at the same spot he left him before K/O . This kid had a 100 % English accent and just as the national anthem was finishing I heard him scream out C'mon Ireland . He was a few rows over and down to the right and we let a roar over to him and he came up and stood with us for the whole game . Born and bred In the UK but as Irish as the rest of us . His father told us that night the wife would kill him if she found out that he left the boy out on his own but knew he would be ok .

Also my cousins emigrated to Oz 20 years ago from Cork and the kids have spent 80% of their lives there but them boys are passionate and are some men fot belting out the rebel songs and Irish ballads .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic