You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Keltica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Plastic Paddies" and the National Anthem
    Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:26am
Well lads,

We travel with a couple of second generation Irish guys from England and I know thousands of others do to. I know it's a minority of fans, but the abuse they got of some lads in Poland was shocking, they really were getting sick of it towards the end of the two weeks, even with the banter side of it. One of them was explaining that he used to get abuse the whole way through school for being Irish, and now he was getting it for being English while supporting Ireland! I consider it a huge honour that someone could be born and raised in another country and yet choose to support The Boys in Green, and I think we should be letting these lads know that.

On another note regarding the most important chant of all, the prize for the best ever rendition of the National Anthem goes to the fans at the first Ireland v England rugby game at Croke Park; but I think The Boys in Green can beat that against Sweden! I'll be brushing up on it myself because it's very difficult to sing it at the very top of your lungs when you don't know all the words. Let's all make and effort to brush up on it so come the 13th June we can take the fu*king roof off the Stade de France, scare the sh1te out of the Swedes, and show the whole of Europe that we are back!!!
On the First day of Christmas...
Sponsored Links

HampshireDub View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HampshireDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Keltica Keltica wrote:

Well lads,

We travel with a couple of second generation Irish guys from England and I know thousands of others do to. I know it's a minority of fans, but the abuse they got of some lads in Poland was shocking, they really were getting sick of it towards the end of the two weeks, even with the banter side of it. One of them was explaining that he used to get abuse the whole way through school for being Irish, and now he was getting it for being English while supporting Ireland! I consider it a huge honour that someone could be born and raised in another country and yet choose to support The Boys in Green, and I think we should be letting these lads know that.

On another note regarding the most important chant of all, the prize for the best ever rendition of the National Anthem goes to the fans at the first Ireland v England rugby game at Croke Park; but I think The Boys in Green can beat that against Sweden! I'll be brushing up on it myself because it's very difficult to sing it at the very top of your lungs when you don't know all the words. Let's all make and effort to brush up on it so come the 13th June we can take the fu*king roof off the Stade de France, scare the sh1te out of the Swedes, and show the whole of Europe that we are back!!!

Here here in your first point Keltica.

I've live in the UK now for nearly 15 years but born and raised in the smoke in Dublin.
I remember popping into a pub in 2003 to watch a game and being pleasantly surprised to see about 3 or 4 green jerseys.
Got chatting and was bemused at the strong 'landaan' accents on the lads.
The term 'plastic paddy' is insulting and I detest it.
I've met so many second generation Irish in London who lets not forget didn't have it easy in the 70's and 80's over here. An accent means nothing it's to be welcomed and embraced and I've met some passionate Irishmen and women with various accents.

As regards the Anthem it's a wonderful song but doesn't really lend itself too well to being sung at the top of the lungs. It's not really what it was designed for but sing it out and sing it loud as they say.

Putting a slight spin on it, for me the French anthem is head and shoulders above them all. Rousing belter of a song with a great uplifting ending.
Typical French really.....

Alles les verts (think that's the greens ? )
Draw me a compass I need a MAP
Keltica View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keltica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:59am
Originally posted by HampshireDub HampshireDub wrote:

Here here in your first point Keltica.

I've live in the UK now for nearly 15 years but born and raised in the smoke in Dublin.
I remember popping into a pub in 2003 to watch a game and being pleasantly surprised to see about 3 or 4 green jerseys.
Got chatting and was bemused at the strong 'landaan' accents on the lads.
The term 'plastic paddy' is insulting and I detest it.
I've met so many second generation Irish in London who lets not forget didn't have it easy in the 70's and 80's over here. An accent means nothing it's to be welcomed and embraced and I've met some passionate Irishmen and women with various accents.

As regards the Anthem it's a wonderful song but doesn't really lend itself too well to being sung at the top of the lungs. It's not really what it was designed for but sing it out and sing it loud as they say.

Putting a slight spin on it, for me the French anthem is head and shoulders above them all. Rousing belter of a song with a great uplifting ending.
Typical French really.....

Alles les verts (think that's the greens ? )
I hate the term too, that's why I put it in " ". Your example fits in with what I said about the majority being welcoming!

I also completely agree with you about the French anthem but unfortunately it is not the song which we will use to send our men into battle! I want those men to feel like it's a home game and you can't say this isn't impressive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSH7GxQtLn4
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:06am

Having lived in Laandan I sympathise eventhough I never experienced any anti-Irishness myself.

Sidenote, my brother-in-law who is a born and bred Manc (he supports City obviously) has been to about 7 or 8 Ireland away games over the years, wearing the green and nobody ever, ever said a bad word to him. Quite the opposite actually.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:17am
well said keltica Clap

personally the only people i've witnessed giving stick to our 2nd gen contingent are a few ignorant fools who crawl out of the woodwork for the tournaments. Seasoned irish fans will know that they are our most dedicated and committed fans. every game is after all an "away" game, at great expense. 

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HampshireDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:40am
I'm sure I have seen that clip before Keltica but christ that's powerful stuff.
If you noticed it was the Garda / army band and had a rolling bass drum through it.
That's how amhran an bhfiann works best. It's a marching song and that worked so well.

Great stuff
SeanG4393 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:59am
This is so refreshing to read. 

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal met in Birmingham after both sets of families had moved over to Birmingham during the 50's and 60's as just children. I had the typical Irish upbringing where you spent the 6 weeks holiday in Ireland and it was more like home than anything, Birmingham just being where you went to school and had a house. 

Mainly in secondary school I was referred to as a 'Palstic' and this continues up to this day. Bumping into a few old school friends in the local last week I was asked why are you going to the euros with Ireland it should be England, when not one of them have set foot inside Wembley.. 

I've only ever known Ireland as a nation and they are the only nation I have supported my memories of International football are a shade of Green with the 2002 penalty tears (the first tournament I fully understood at the age of 8) 

Yes I have a Birmingham accent, this is something i'm very proud of football is a huge passion of mine and Birmingham city are my team I enjoy having this accent and follow my club across England. Whilst in Poland in October I simply tried to advise a man in a bar where he could watch the Ireland vs France Rugby match when he whispered into his friends ear not very quietly I asked for Ireland vs France not England, In fairness his friend nearly died of embarrassment and apologized for his mate. Of course there have been people along the way that have embraced it and looked far past the accent that have became good friends that i'm travelling to France with. 

I could type a novel about this matter to try and educate people but sometimes the shortest replies are the best and a simple F**k Off to the great uneducated can do the trick. 

I'm a regular home and away traveler and France will be my first major tournament with Ireland (A £2.52 an hour apprenticeship at the time didn't quiet take me to Poland) It's a dream come true for me to be travelling and attending games at the Euros it something I've looked forward to for years and something I will carry with me my whole life. 

Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. 

Sheedy's Left Boot View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheedy's Left Boot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:08pm
Well said Sean! I agree with all the sentiments above. Its ignorance of the highest order to question a fellow Irishmans nationality based on his accent. The old quote, either correctly or incorrectly attributed to the 1st Duke of Wellington or by Daniel OConnell in relation to the Duke himself, rings through for me; being born in a stable does not make a man a horse!!

If your family linage, culture or heart is Irish, it doesnt matter a jot what accent you have. Im from Donegal and one of my good mates, that Ive travelled to Ireland games home and away with, is London born and bred. Father from Donegal and mother from Sligo. A more passionate Irishman you couldnt meet. In fact his gra for all things Irish would put to shame some of our countrymen.

Sean, if I heard someone questioning your right to support Ireland or indeed your Irishness, Id go through them for a short cut!

Have a great trip to France and I hope your first major tournament (its my second after Poland) lives up to be all you hope it will be.

Edited by Sheedy's Left Boot - 02 Jun 2016 at 12:10pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:15pm

Well lads,

What you have to realize pal is those who were abusing your mates were drunken louts who wouldn't be seen at a qualifier home or away from one year to the next!

I know it's not ideal, but if it happens in France just rise above it and move pub or area and don't bother entertaining it.

Unfortunately when major tournaments come around or even a big game in the Aviva (England friendly) you have t**sers from all over Ireland just looking to get pissed and upset people.

Hope you and the lads enjoy France Clap
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:17pm
Dermot Gallagher is Irish. Was born in Ireland with an English accent. Dave O'Leary was born in London but has an Irish accent. Same with McGrath.  Accent means nothing. It's how you identify and your family origins.

If you're Irish you're Irish.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HampshireDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by SeanG4393 SeanG4393 wrote:

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal met in Birmingham after both sets of families had moved over to Birmingham during the 50's and 60's as just children. I had the typical Irish upbringing where you spent the 6 weeks holiday in Ireland and it was more like home than anything, Birmingham just being where you went to school and had a house. 

Mainly in secondary school I was referred to as a 'Palstic' and this continues up to this day. Bumping into a few old school friends in the local last week I was asked why are you going to the euros with Ireland it should be England, when not one of them have set foot inside Wembley.. 

I've only ever known Ireland as a nation and they are the only nation I have supported my memories of International football are a shade of Green with the 2002 penalty tears (the first tournament I fully understood at the age of 8) 

Yes I have a Birmingham accent, this is something i'm very proud of football is a huge passion of mine and Birmingham city are my team I enjoy having this accent and follow my club across England. Whilst in Poland in October I simply tried to advise a man in a bar where he could watch the Ireland vs France Rugby match when he whispered into his friends ear not very quietly I asked for Ireland vs France not England, In fairness his friend nearly died of embarrassment and apologized for his mate. Of course there have been people along the way that have embraced it and looked far past the accent that have became good friends that i'm travelling to France with. 

I could type a novel about this matter to try and educate people but sometimes the shortest replies are the best and a simple F**k Off to the great uneducated can do the trick. 
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm a regular home and away </span>traveler<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> and France will be my first major tournament with Ireland (A £2.52 an hour apprenticeship at the time didn't quiet take me to Poland) It's a dream come true for me to be travelling and attending games at the Euros it something I've looked forward to for years and something I will carry with me my whole life. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. </span>

Are you with the West Midlands supporters club ?
If so I probably met you in Poznan.
Remember having a great song song with a few of you boys wearing west mids polo tops ?
Great bunch. Hope I bump into you in France.

Little side story as there's a chance you might even know the bloke in question.
Took my son to see Reading V Birmingham city first game of last season.
Scorching hot day if you recall and got into the ground only to realise I had about 80p in my wallet. Asked a steward of there was an ATM walking distance he politely informed me I would struggle to get back into the ground.

He noticed my accent and asked where I was from.
I bough it was a bit odd but he returned 5 minutes later with two bottles of water and a bag of haribo sweets for the wee man.
Proceeded to lift his hi vis and showed me a shamrock / brum City pin badge.
A touching gesture I didn't catch his name but will be forever grateful to him for doing that.

Bon chance mo chairde
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:59pm
I think moving abroad has certainly been a real eye opener for me in terms of understanding more about the born-abroad Irish. Know plenty of lads around Reading who were born there but are Irish through and through and have met many non-Irish born Irish fans on my away travels over the past few years. Talking with them and understanding their background and passion for their country is so interesting as many of us born at home would take for granted being Irish. Emigration was a big part of our history and this reflects it - Northmen, Southmen, Comrades all !

TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:14pm
Great thread. Was born in England myself but both parents and my entire family are all Irish and while as a kid I would have regarded myself as English, once I moved over here and got to learn more about my roots and the history of this great nation I knew I was 100% green white and gold. This will also be my first major championships having been in Glasgow and Portugal for the qualifiers last year and all the home games. Was only doing my LC in 2012 so Poland was just out of my reach.
OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:20pm
Kids born in UK, they have a choice of Citizenship and they choose Ireland and then Poland, always made clear I would never pay for a Passport with the Crown and somehow doubt they ever will either.

Lads first games he had a Womb without a view for Jamaica and Nigeria, done games in London on number of occasions, Liege, repeating word for word my views on Brussels traffic next morning won me no brownie points with bosslady, has been in Poland for 2012 and Warsaw game plus Aviva on number of occasions.................... will be in France.

People who choose Ireland when they can choose someone else are heroes.

People who abuse them because of an accent are just scumbags that we don't need.

Wife demanded to know the words of Irish anthem as after been at Croke Park wants to be able to sing it.

Happy to pay for someone's pint if they end up tipping it over someone who calls anybody a Plastic.........
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:26pm
Danny Dyer on his Irish roots:

"Of course I'm facking Oirish
Oi facking laaaaav the Eire" 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SeanG4393 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanG4393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Sheedy's Left Boot Sheedy's Left Boot wrote:

Well said Sean! I agree with all the sentiments above. Its ignorance of the highest order to question a fellow Irishmans nationality based on his accent. The old quote, either correctly or incorrectly attributed to the 1st Duke of Wellington or by Daniel OConnell in relation to the Duke himself, rings through for me; being born in a stable does not make a man a horse!!

If your family linage, culture or heart is Irish, it doesnt matter a jot what accent you have. Im from Donegal and one of my good mates, that Ive travelled to Ireland games home and away with, is London born and bred. Father from Donegal and mother from Sligo. A more passionate Irishman you couldnt meet. In fact his gra for all things Irish would put to shame some of our countrymen.

Sean, if I heard someone questioning your right to support Ireland or indeed your Irishness, Id go through them for a short cut!

Have a great trip to France and I hope your first major tournament (its my second after Poland) lives up to be all you hope it will be.

I try to rise above it and laugh it off as much as possible but it can be difficult its just a factor that is involved sometimes. My close friends in Birmingham that are travelling to follow England are the most loyal of England supporters, I don't get a peep of badness out of them because they know the score. 

Same to you mate this new format could see a longer stay in the competition this time. 
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Danny Dyer on his Irish roots:

"Of course I'm facking Oirish
Oi facking laaaa<span style="line-height: 1.4;">av the Eire" </span>

You starting that lark again. I guess a bump is in order 😂😂
Chips don't bounce
Keltica View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keltica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by SeanG4393 SeanG4393 wrote:

I am the first 'English born' in my family. My dad born in Dublin and my Mom born in Donegal...

Ireland might not be where I live but it is where I am from. 

ClapClapClap

Bravo Sean, fair play to ya, that's the kind of passion I'm talking about, I'm looking forward to belting out the National Anthem with you!

To be honest, and I should have mentioned this too, it's not just the people born / living in England; a lot of people from the North who support us get similar stick - about not being "real Irish" etc What rubbish!

Great to hear such support for it lads and a few personal stories coming out too. It's what makes YBIG so great, it's not just about lads supporting a football team; it's a tangible cultural connection to Ireland no matter where you are in the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic