Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans for All-Island League by 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:37pm
Not at Lansdowne.
Sponsored Links

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 9:06am
Did anyone really think this would ever be a goer. It never was and displayed a fundamental misunderstanding of our wee country and the pride of partition. Teams like Linfield, Ballymena, Larne, Coleraine, Glenavon, Crusaders would rather go out of business than ever entertain such an idea. In saying that to see wee Jamie Bryson's face would be fabulous. After the so called 'economic' United Ireland emerging due to brexit a football one as well would probably give him a stroke.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

i was there with drogheda during our setanta cup games  , well policed no hassle good ground even then.. but as usual its always the celtic and rangers heads who mess it up, in fact when linfield played in derry it was celtic top who caused trouble outside the ground |(according to a poster on here at the time),, and when linfield played in utd park people turned up with tri colors i had never seen before , probably same tonite in oriel pk

Whoever told you it was a Celtic top that caused the bother outside the ground was wrong. But it was years ago now so it doesn't matter. Linfield missing Shayne Lavery tonight. He is some player.

it always is celtic fans
Come on Irelind
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 10:53am

i was there with drogheda during our setanta cup gamesĀ  , well policed no hassle good ground even then.. but as usual its always the celtic and rangers heads who mess it up, in fact when linfield played in derry it was celtic top who caused trouble outside the ground |(according to a poster on here at the time),, and when linfield played in utd park people turned up with tri colors i had never seen before , probably same tonite in oriel pk

Whoever told you it was a Celtic top that caused the bother outside the ground was wrong. But it was years ago now so it doesn't matter. Linfield missing Shayne Lavery tonight. He is some player.

it always is celtic fans

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 11:40am

Did anyone really think this would ever be a goer. It never was and displayed a fundamental misunderstanding of our wee country and the pride of partition. Teams like Linfield, Ballymena, Larne, Coleraine, Glenavon, Crusaders would rather go out of business than ever entertain such an idea. In saying that to see wee Jamie Bryson's face would be fabulous. After the so called 'economic' United Ireland emerging due to brexit a football one as well would probably give him a stroke.

I assume this is a piss take, but Linfield were in favour of continuing discussions, Cliftonville on the other hand were not

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

I assume this is a piss take, but Linfield were in favour of continuing discussions, Cliftonville on the other hand were not

Well the Jamie Bryson part was. To be fair I was referring more about the fans than the clubs owners. Owners will often do what makes the best business sense. They will go where the money is. But I wouldn't fancy being the owner of any of the clubs mentioned trying to talk the fans into an all island league. They just wouldn't stand for it. Now maybe that is my own bias talking as a Derry man but it would astonish me if fans of those clubs were in any way in favour of such a league.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 3:41pm
i cant see any real difference an all ireland league would make anyway. does anyone care if dundalk or sligo rovers are playing linfield as opposed to shams/pats etc etc. why not focus on developing our own league and let the nordies stick to their own. this assumption put forward that it would attract more following/interest i just don't buy.
ncafc87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncafc87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 11:04am
The risk factor is on the northern sides for a host of reasons. Impossible to see it happen.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 4:37pm

To be fair I was referring more about the fans than the clubs owners. Owners will often do what makes the best business sense. They will go where the money is. But I wouldn't fancy being the owner of any of the clubs mentioned trying to talk the fans into an all island league. They just wouldn't stand for it.
Silly/ignorant distinction, since Linfield FC is owned by its supporters, who get to vote on the running of the club.
As such, there was never any objection by their fans to agreeing to participate in this Unite cup, despite it coming at a bad time in the season for them. Plus they gave Lucid a fair hearing over his AIL proposals. Before that, LFC were also amongst the most enthusiastic supporters of The Setanta, before it went under.

And I believe (open to correction?) that they took as many supporters to Oriel as Dundalk took to Windsor, despite it being a sh*tty Monday night in November, with ridiculous travelling restrictions imposed.

Now maybe that is my own bias talking as a Derry man but it would astonish me if fans of those clubs were in any way in favour of such a league.
(Serious question) Have you ever spoken to IL fans, or engaged with them in any way, over what they might think about such things?

I suspect not.

(No hurry replying, since I now need to go and have a good wash for speaking up for Linfield FC/their fans Shocked)

Edited by Territorial - 14 Nov 2019 at 4:40pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 5:03pm
The Linfield fans were giving out stick for playing the Dundalk match, accusing the owners of taking the cheap cash.

Getting trounced probably didn't help either.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The Linfield fans were giving out stick for playing the Dundalk match, accusing the owners of taking the cheap cash.

Some were. But that was on the basis that it was a "nothing" match, coming at a rotten time, with awkward travel etc. I doubt many were against it solely on principle.

Actually, scrap that last bit - their sole principle is money, so they're two-faced as well as everything else! Wink

I know.

Great, wasn't it! LOL

Edited by Territorial - 14 Nov 2019 at 5:16pm
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 6:51pm
who are your team territorial?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

A couple of years back I was passing through the airport when I ran into the Swiss Crusaders Supporters Club*.

Got chatting and they asked me whether I supported an IL team.

"Sure", I replied, "In fact I support 11 teams"

"Sorry?" they came back.

"Whoever's playing Linfield that day" I explained.

* - Yeah, really, and there were at least four of them. Apparently they had been over in Dublin with their NT for a game vs ROI a year or two previously, which must have been one Thursday or Friday. Anyhow, for a bit of sightseeing, they took a trip up to Belfast on the Saturday and took in a Crues game on a whim. They were hooked! 

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

A couple of years back I was passing through the airport when I ran into the Swiss Crusaders Supporters Club*.

"Sorry?" they came back.

* - Yeah, really, and there were at least four of them. Apparently they had been over in Dublin with their NT for a game vs ROI a year or two previously, which must have been one Thursday or Friday. Anyhow, for a bit of sightseeing, they took a trip up to Belfast on the Saturday and took in a Crues game on a whim. They were hooked! 

Glentoran so..
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:40am

Biggest away crowd in Oriel this season, seemed more than happy to travel down for the game despite the crappy travel arrangements

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:31pm

To be fair I was referring more about the fans than the clubs owners. Owners will often do what makes the best business sense. They will go where the money is. But I wouldn't fancy being the owner of any of the clubs mentioned trying to talk the fans into an all island league. They just wouldn't stand for it.
Silly/ignorant distinction, since Linfield FC is owned by its supporters, who get to vote on the running of the club.
As such, there was never any objection by their fans to agreeing to participate in this Unite cup, despite it coming at a bad time in the season for them. Plus they gave Lucid a fair hearing over his AIL proposals. Before that, LFC were also amongst the most enthusiastic supporters of The Setanta, before it went under.

And I believe (open to correction?) that they took as many supporters to Oriel as Dundalk took to Windsor, despite it being a sh*tty Monday night in November, with ridiculous travelling restrictions imposed.

Now maybe that is my own bias talking as a Derry man but it would astonish me if fans of those clubs were in any way in favour of such a league.
(Serious question) Have you ever spoken to IL fans, or engaged with them in any way, over what they might think about such things?

I suspect not.

(No hurry replying, since I now need to go and have a good wash for speaking up for Linfield FC/their fans Shocked)

I have a few acquaintances who would be Institute fans. I also have a work colleague who is mad into Linfield. That hardly means I can speak for all clubs which I recognize I have(so I apologize for the generalisations but it is just opinion) but at this moment in time with the volatile situation surrounding brexit and the border and this withdrawal act it would astound me if Northern clubs had any interest. As I say owners are often businessmen. They follow the money. But I honestly can't see fans of Coleraine or Linfield etc ever going for it. Cross border cups are a completely different proposition to having an all island league. What then? An all island team? Where will it stop? That would be many fans attitude I believe.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

"Sorry?" they came back.

Glentoran so..

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

"Sorry?" they came back.

Glentoran so..

Ride on Time ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic