You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Personal injury claims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Personal injury claims
    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 10:24pm
A friend of mine bought a product, from a global retailer, which turned out to be faulty and caused an accident. Could have been serious but ended up being nothing more than cuts, bruises, sprained wrist and a bit of discomfort for 2 weeks.

They contacted this retailer to notify them of the incident but was given the cold shoulder. After a week of being fobbed off, they Googled the CEO's name, guessed their e-mail address and sent them a mail about it. They were contacted immediately, product replaced, full refund, restaurant voucher and bunch of flowers. Happy with that but then they were contacted again to say they had been passed to the legal team to arrange compensation.

A solicitor contacted them the other day and practically asked for a figure. They have thought about it and gone back with an amount.

The whole claims culture drives me mad and I don't know where I stand on this one given they haven't been the one to contact a solicitor or pursue compensation. My wife is disgusted that they went back with a figure.

2 questions:

Should they just let it drop?

How much would a pay out for a situation like this usually be?
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 10:16am
What's the product and what's his email?
Here we go again
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

A friend of mine bought a product, from a global retailer, which turned out to be faulty and caused an accident. Could have been serious but ended up being nothing more than cuts, bruises, sprained wrist and a bit of discomfort for 2 weeks.

Should they just let it drop?

How much would a pay out for a situation like this usually be?
How much are they out of pocket for it? Did she have to take time off work? Or doctors bills?

If not then stop being a f**king pussy and ruining the country, my 2 year old would forget about it in about 10 mns. Angry
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 4:13pm
Private health insurance would have covered medical bills. A day or so out of work but won't affect pay or annual leave.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 3:57pm
If the company are settling it like that, chances are they're settling for a fair bit less than it might be worth. As ever, it is a question of some money now v the chance of more money later. Without figures or knowledge of the extent of the injuries (and what exactly caused it), no one can be any more specific than that. There are other issues: the company may want to avoid any publicity; your friend may just want the money on offer now.

If there are potentially liability issues (i.e. whether compensation is even due at all), you have to take that into account; it all depends on the case. If you have a case that, on a good day, is worth 50 grand, but there is potentially contributory negligence, or even a risk that there is no liability at all, 20 grand today might be a fair figure to accept; if there is no issue with contributory negligence or liability, you might not want to settle it too quickly. However, if you currently have 5 grand in the bank and a bill for 10 grand due in two weeks, you might bite their hand off for 10 grand today. That depends on personal circumstances.

It sounds like there is no liability issue here (although if you use a garden strimmer, for example, without gloves, even if the product is defective, it is partly your fault if you end up with cut hands). Without knowing more, it's impossible to say more.

However, and make no mistake about it, if an organisation are selling a defective product, or if their quality system doesn't pick up on errors, by bringing a claim not only are you getting something out of it, but you are providing a healthy incentive for the company to stop this sort of thing happening again. If your mate doesn't claim and the product isn't changed, who is to say next time it doesn't take an eye from a three year old?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 4:21pm
Also, I’d a avoid using the term “combo culture”. This is a term that the media have whipped up into a frenzy, while ensuring factual accuracy for anybody who cares to read beyond the sensationalist headlines which often accompany cases which are either legitimate, regulated by findings of contributory negligence, or are in fact settled. The infamous McDonalds coffee case springs to mind, and the liability of the defendant and the injuries sustained by the plaintiff. An absolutely fascinating case (albeit from the USA) which I always think should make people wary of every taking an opinion from the top line figure and the headline.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 4:35pm
There is a bottomless pit full of rogue compensation claims going through the courts. Every week people with trival injuries are getting massive payouts.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-who-banged-her-knee-against-table-leg-at-restaurant-awarded-20k-35579644.html

In another case a chef who cut her hand got 70k - where does it end?

Edited by horsebox - 05 Aug 2019 at 4:36pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 4:40pm
In the first case, the award was made at circuit court level, tested on appeal, and increased. That case couldn’t have been more scrutinised. And let’s be frank, the newspaper only gives you the headlines. Cases can take hours and days to be heard with a full array of witnesses.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 4:43pm
She banged her knee and got 20k.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 4:46pm
I suspect the accident and injury reports which would have been submitted to the court would have been a little more forensic than that.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 6:59pm
on of the big bouncy castle companies up here is being forced to close as they can’t get insurance, they have over 200 products to rent and employ 36 people! They have had a claim made against them but such is the way things are going no body will insure them, they already have to get their current insurance through the UK as Irish companies won’t insure anyone in that line of work.

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

on of the big bouncy castle companies up here is being forced to close as they can’t get insurance, they have over 200 products to rent and employ 36 people! They have had a claim made against them but such is the way things are going no body will insure them, they already have to get their current insurance through the UK as Irish companies won’t insure anyone in that line of work.

Must be very deflating.  
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Our insurance has gone up considerably but not massively, we rent out sports simulators. We can only get insured by one company, the rest of them just laughed at us when looking for a quote. One claim and we are out of business.

I spoke to one of my players in my leagues last night, he works in the food and bar business area. He told me his insurance is €1000 per week, he saw one woman eat glass and then claim it was in her food 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 5:50pm
Sure you only have to look at Oktoberfest cancelling their Dublin event due to the cost of premiums and the claims culture in Ireland, which they emphasised in their statement.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 1:21pm
fs is that cancelled!! I actually had a meeting with the guy who runs that not too long ago 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

fs is that cancelled!! I actually had a meeting with the guy who runs that not too long ago 

An example given was that a a small flag you see in almost every pub fell down and landed/floated on a woman. A claim went in.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 12:13pm
Anyone know if Maria Bailey has a Constituency Office in Dun Laoighaire.  Was in Dun Laoighaire a few days ago but couldn't find it.  I hire bikes on the Waterford Greenway.  It looks as if the underwriters who underwrite insurance for the leisure industry in Ireland have mainly pulled out of the market here.  My insurance is up in December and if I can't get insurance, I will become unemployed, my business will be gone.

Maria said a few weeks ago that she had moved on from her Insurance claim fiasco, well I am also moving on,  to unemployment in a few months.  I would like to see if Maria has any suggestions on what I can do.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 1:05pm
I am currently suing Maria Bailey. I was going into her constituency office but walked into the door and hurt my nose which stopped me from using my sense of smell for a period of time. There was no instructions on how to use the door.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic